closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boat advice

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    The most important thing is to wear a kill chord ... if you want to keep yourself, your family and others safe then wear a kill chord.

https://safety4sea.com/hm-coastguard...oating-safety/

If it's of any interest, here is a link to the MAIB report on Milly.

I would only draw attention to two sections, one from the main body and the other at the end of the Annex:

1.17 PREVIOUS SIMILAR ACCIDENTS

From 2005 up to and including this accident the MAIB has been made aware of 21 accidents involving small high speed craft which have circled or continued out of control because a kill cord was either not used or was not properly connected. These have resulted in 7 fatalities and 12 injuries.

SAFETY LESSON

The kill cord serves only one purpose, to stop the engine when the driver moves away from the controls. To ensure that this tragic accident is not repeated it is essential that all owners and operators of vessels fitted with kill cords:

• Test them regularly to ensure that the engine stops when the kill cord mechanism is operated.

• Make sure that the cord is in good condition.

• Always attach the cord securely to the driver, ideally before the engine is started, but certainly before the boat is put in gear.

• Stop the engine before transferring the kill cord to another driver.

Further information regarding the use of kill cords can be found at www.rya.org.uk/go/killcord.

Master
    Best advice is put it up for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Just sort out the transport, a boat yard/mooring, insurance, get the engine serviced (nothing worse than getting stranded), get some training, get some life jackets, emergency kit, tools and spares, get the boat inspected (might need anodes, anti foul, new propeller, bilge pumps, etc), get the fuel system flushed, etc, etc, etc. Then start to build a “war chest” for for fuel (it will be expensive) and for repairs/annual maintenance, insurance, etc, etc next year.

Alternatively take a large pile of cash, put it on the BBQ and set fire to it. Might be cheaper and safer in the long run and put it down to experience.
    ^^^ go down this comprehensive list and you’ll be fine.

Come on chaps, there’s loads of fun to be had on the water. The OP has come for advice and he’s getting it.

FWIW the incidents I’ve been involved with sorting out over the years have nearly 100% been caused by multiple things going wrong one after the other. The key to safety is good preparation, the ability to realise when things are starting to go wrong and being able to make the decision to head for home early.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    In a drunken stupor me n two pals have bought a boat
    We are planning to use at coast and hopefully have sorted a boat yard and launch out (fingers crossed) really should have looked at this first!
    Any help, info from anyone in the know would be appreciated.
    The Mrs says we are clowns!!

Sent from my M2002J9G using Tapatalk

Looks cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    ^^^ go down this comprehensive list and you’ll be fine.

Come on chaps, there’s loads of fun to be had on the water. The OP has come for advice and he’s getting it.

FWIW the incidents I’ve been involved with sorting out over the years have nearly 100% been caused by multiple things going wrong one after the other. The key to safety is good preparation, the ability to realise when things are starting to go wrong and being able to make the decision to head for home early.
    I'll be the first to acknowledge that boating can be expensive, however it can also be a very pleasurable and rewarding hobby.

I've sunk ;-) a lot of money into boating over the years but the enjoyment of being out on the water has been considerable and I've no regrets.

I think perhaps some of those people who've highlighted the cost may have never owned a boat, so their view is somewhat one-sided.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

In a weird way, this thread has made me more confident about ownership of a RIB.

Financially I can't justify it but if my circumstances change I'll be bumping this.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I'll be the first to acknowledge that boating can be expensive, however it can also be a very pleasurable and rewarding hobby.

I've sunk ;-) a lot of money into boating over the years but the enjoyment of being out on the water has been considerable and I've no regrets.

I think perhaps some of those people who've highlighted the cost may have never owned a boat, so their view is somewhat one-sided.

R
    Totally agree! We're all here because of an expensive hobby. I got to work so I can waste money on myself and my family having a good time when I'm not. I Hope and I'm sure the OP and their mates will have a ton of fun with their new boat.

R

I imagine the Torbay area offers a lot of potential to enjoy boating. More than, say, Norfolk for example.

Craftsman
    You'll definitely want a gas conversion as it will destroy petrol. I ski behind a Nautique 200 which has a 6.0 litre PCM engine. I has a Prins system so runs duel fuel (warms up on petrol and then coverts over to gas). It would be way too expensive to run it on petrol in the UK.
    Last edited by Spesh; 26th August 2021 at 14:35.

Craftsman
    Brilliant. I'm not the only one who wakes up and thinks. Why?. Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'm sure it will work out fine, and if not it can always be sold on.
    Lost a lot more on watches over the years I suppose.
    I will post on our progression but I think with all we have to get sorted and in place it may well be next season it gets in any water apart from a wash.

Master
    I have a 6.5m RIB. Cost me £12k 3ish years ago. Engine is a 2 stroke 115hp Mercury. Came on a good trailer.

So far I've been:

£12k purchase
    £600 for full service
    £350 for lifejackets
    £80 floating handheld vhf
    £240/month when I berth it
    £250/yr insurance
    £500ish for PB2, VHF and survival courses
    Fuel is £160 per tank and it gets about 1litre/mile. Again 'ish'
    Probably spent £1,200 fully rewiring with proper marine cable, new fuse box, new fuel sender, change all fuel hoses, waterproof deck jb's.
    New, awesome 4 blade prop £200
    VHF antennae £60
    2-stroke oil is £55/4litres.
    £100 various cleaners.

Fun factor and freedom from traffic, speed cameras, pollution etc: off the scale!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Consider a sailing dinghy.

Cheap, environmentally friendly, great for exercise and very sociable.

Plus competitive opportunity for those who fancy racing.

I have a small rib. Cost buttons and needs little maintenance.

It goes in the sea in May and comes out again in October. Costs £50 a year to moor for the summer.

Only has a 30HP motor so really fuel efficient. I get it up on the water and pull the throttle back a touch and it sips fuel. When we go fishing a 30 tank lasts us ages.

It's a really stable platform and super safe if you take a little care and know what you're doing.

All pics from the week before last:

Craftsman
    We are getting there slowly.
    Boat is in cracking condition, got it into the local boat yard all year round and includes launching and recovery.
    The guys there are great and have, are giving great advice.
    Insurance sorted and all accessories purchased.
    It has had a dry run with the Water muffs and runs sweat.
    Will we get it in the sea this year, hope so even if it's for a few lessons.
    Next year in the season (March to September) will be the real test, actually looking forward to it now.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    We are getting there slowly.
    Boat is in cracking condition, got it into the local boat yard all year round and includes launching and recovery.
    The guys there are great and have, are giving great advice.
    Insurance sorted and all accessories purchased.
    It has had a dry run with the Water muffs and runs sweat.
    Will we get it in the sea this year, hope so even if it's for a few lessons.
    Next year in the season (March to September) will be the real test, actually looking forward to it now.
    Good to hear you are sorted, get some pictures up when you can.

I've finally found a replacement myself, deposit paid, the sea trial went well so the deal was done. The Southampton Boat Show is now getting in the way of getting it transported to my home marina.

Edit
    Apologies, I thought this was the other "boat" thread.
    Nice Fletcher there though, as others have said PB2 course as a minimum, kill cord and go easy, that thing will shift and the ocean can bite.
    Last edited by Riley; 8th September 2021 at 13:51.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    .... and the ocean can bite.
    This is for sure ... here is a tale of stupidity that I got away with ...

I was pretty much living in a RIB in Menorca for the summer teaching sailing ... often this was quiet /dull ... one day whilst supervising the fleet on a distance sail in very little wind a huge gin palace went past ... the sea was flat calm so when I saw the wake I thought I'd have a bit of fun wave jumping ... I had an 80hp outboard and the RIB was pretty quick and I gave it the beans heading for the wake ... as I approached the wake I suddenly realised it was much bigger than I thought ... even though I backed off hard I still hit it at speed getting huge air ... how the RIB didn't flip I have no idea but I landed vertically and the boat filled up and the engine cut ... I was bricking it but eventually the engine restarted and off I went again ... stupid fool having learned a lesson to not muck about in RIBs ...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Do you have any seamanship qualifications?
    Yes , the numbers are declining with age but I've still got some live rounds.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    I have a 6.5m RIB. Cost me £12k 3ish years ago. Engine is a 2 stroke 115hp Mercury. Came on a good trailer.

So far I've been:

£12k purchase
    £600 for full service
    £350 for lifejackets
    £80 floating handheld vhf
    £240/month when I berth it
    £250/yr insurance
    £500ish for PB2, VHF and survival courses
    Fuel is £160 per tank and it gets about 1litre/mile. Again 'ish'
    Probably spent £1,200 fully rewiring with proper marine cable, new fuse box, new fuel sender, change all fuel hoses, waterproof deck jb's.
    New, awesome 4 blade prop £200
    VHF antennae £60
    2-stroke oil is £55/4litres.
    £100 various cleaners.

Fun factor and freedom from traffic, speed cameras, pollution etc: off the scale!!
    What a total waste of money.

And one you'll look back on and be sooo glad you did.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    I sent the picture to my oldest son (the dinghy sailor). He lives with three other (ex-)sailors / now students in one home. This RIB was applauded! (So was the car towing the trailer).

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Excellent dive rib.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Looking at Guinea’s rib & low costs, thinking I should get one for us to enjoy in the summer months.

Then remember we have a smart car, a Boxster & a cayman. Can’t get a 4th car to tow a boat.

Back to the drawing board!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Looking at Guinea’s rib & low costs, thinking I should get one for us to enjoy in the summer months.

Then remember we have a smart car, a Boxster & a cayman. Can’t get a 4th car to tow a boat.

Back to the drawing board!
    Surely a Cayman towing a boat would look cool

Gordon Ramsey's new RIB:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=882196372399064

I saw this being built at Ribeye earlier this year, since then the seat configuration has been revised to a more family-orientated layout. (And thankfully the original steering wheel has now been changed (it was hideous, IMO)).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Gordon Ramsey's new RIB:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=882196372399064

I saw this being built at Ribeye earlier this year, since then the seat configuration has been revised to a more family-orientated layout. (And thankfully the original steering wheel has now been changed (it was hideous, IMO)).

R
    That looks a nice rib.
    My new boat is being delivered Thursday, it won't have the poke of that one but I'm already grinning like Gordon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Surely a Cayman towing a boat would look cool
    Dutch and Belgian optimist sailors ‘share’ the same competition. A few yrs back a Belgian mother and her young daughter always turned up at the various venues with a white Panamera and a trailer with an optimist and white RIB.

One day, her dad accompanied her. Same trailer, same RIB and optimist. Not the same car though… He towed the trailer with a BRG
    Bentley Mulsanne. First and only Bentley with a tow hitch, I think.

(Nowadays they visit the venues with an RV the size of Blenheim Palace).
    Last edited by thieuster; 13th September 2021 at 17:29.

Blog Entries

Boat advice

Then I found this… you can never have enough hp

4x350 hp will do, I suppose?

https://www.bva-auctions.com/nl/auct...SAAEgIdfPD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

[QUOTE=thieuster;5833848]Then I found this… you can never have enough hp

4x350 hp will do, I suppose?

https://www.bva-auctions.com/nl/auct...SAAEgIdfPD_BwE

When they say that owning a boat is like burning bank notes… in this case it just burns petrol faster.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Yeah!

This boat is being sold on behalf of the Dutch Customs and Revenues Department… I wonder why!