closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat advice

Craftsman

Boat advice

In a drunken stupor me n two pals have bought a boat
    We are planning to use at coast and hopefully have sorted a boat yard and launch out (fingers crossed) really should have looked at this first!
    Any help, info from anyone in the know would be appreciated.
    The Mrs says we are clowns!!

Sent from my M2002J9G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    We are planning to use at coast and hopefully have sorted a boat yard and launch out (fingers crossed) really should have looked at this first!

Your missus is right.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Is that a windermere registration?

I used to live by the sea and ski most days, you are not going to believe how much fuel it is going to consume, if it isn’t get it converted to gas. We had a dateline with a 5.4 litre Ford inboard in it, it used 20 gallons per hour, we traded it for a Mastercraft on gas.

Craftsman
    It is Pal, it's registered there but we have to collect it and move to east coast.
    Number 2 I think you are right but it will be fun
    I hope

Craftsman
    Hoping it's not that painful being a three way spit. Just got to sort room at boat yard!

Hoping it's not that painful being a three way spit. Just got to sort room at boat yard!
    As no one has said it, If it’s got tits or it floats

Master
    I did a similar thing with three others, we tipped fuel in bought some toys and had a blast, sold it on and did something else. Are you going Skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Is that the same make of boat that used to be Bully's star prize on Bullseye?
    Yep, I learnt to ski behind a 15 foot fletcher, it had to go when we could stop it dead in the water.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Yep, I learnt to ski behind a 15 foot fletcher, it had to go when we could stop it dead in the water.
    I know nothing about boats, but thought I remembered the name from reading about how they had a good deal on them with the manufacturer!

Master

Three way spit …..is that the punishment for the wife 😱

Speaking as someone who's had a number of RIBs over the years - there are two happy days when you buy a boat - the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Master
    Do you have any seamanship qualifications?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I would recommend an RYA powerboat course.

Craftsman
    Comments taken on board bought it at midnight while all sat out drinking and then next morning wondered what we had done.
    Now pain has gone, going to give it a try. See how it goes! Going to name it drunken sailors or fools !!

Craftsman
    Ain't got a clue never mind qualifications!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Do you have any seamanship qualifications?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

I know nothing about boats, but thought I remembered the name from reading about how they had a good deal on them with the manufacturer!
    See Bully's star prize and, drawing on information in that story:

Craftsman
    I know Hire it
    As no one has said it, If it’s got tits or it floats

Looks like an Arrowstreak 17GTS to me.

If so, it's a pretty decent combination of deep vee hull and inboard Mercruiser engine, i.e. plenty of poke and good handling too.

Enjoy.

R

Fletcher 17 Arrowstreak
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    Speaking as someone who's had a number of RIBs over the years - there are two happy days when you buy a boat - the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
    Gotta disagree. This is my little 'un behind the wheel of ours just yesterday:

Sell it back to Shepherds for £2k less than you paid !!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Just sort out the transport, a boat yard/mooring, insurance, get the engine serviced (nothing worse than getting stranded), get some training, get some life jackets, emergency kit, tools and spares, get the boat inspected (might need anodes, anti foul, new propeller, bilge pumps, etc), get the fuel system flushed, etc, etc, etc. Then start to build a “war chest” for for fuel (it will be expensive) and for repairs/annual maintenance, insurance, etc, etc next year.

Alternatively take a large pile of cash, put it on the BBQ and set fire to it. Might be cheaper and safer in the long run and put it down to experience.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Not as bad as I thought then !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Just sort out the transport, a boat yard/mooring, insurance, get the engine serviced (nothing worse than getting stranded), get some training, get some life jackets, emergency kit, tools and spares, get the boat inspected (might need anodes, anti foul, new propeller, bilge pumps, etc), get the fuel system flushed, etc, etc, etc. Then start to build a “war chest” for for fuel (it will be expensive) and for repairs/annual maintenance, insurance, etc, etc next year.

Alternatively take a large pile of cash, put it on the BBQ and set fire to it. Might be cheaper and safer in the long run and put it down to experience.

from what people ive known to have a boat have told me the best thing to do is fill it with £50 notes and set it on fire - it will be cheaper in the long run :P

Definitely do RYA Powerboat 2, there are far too many idiots on boats and jet skis already...

You don't want to be one of them.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Get some then … otherwise you are a liability to others and yourself.

We see people turn up at the beach all the time in these types of speedboat. They funniest bit is usually when they launch the boat by backing down the ramp which is slippery … the weight of the trailer and boat then usually over comes the available grip on the tyres of their chosen pick up truck which then gets dragged into the sea.

The other variant of this hilarity is when they try an launch at low tide and then get stuck in the mud, then the tide comes in and swamps the car …

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Definitely do RYA Powerboat 2, there are far too many idiots on boats and jet skis already...

You don't want to be one of them.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    It was a requirement for our insurance, I doubt this has changed

It is Pal, it's registered there but we have to collect it and move to east coast.
    Number 2 I think you are right but it will be fun
    I hope
    Where on the East Coast?

For the last few years I’ve provided corporate services to owners of yachts- some of them superyachts. I was never keen before, but some of the payments I sign off for shipyard/refit work, berthing, fuel make me want to cry, and it isn’t even my money.

Same principle applies to any vessel, of any size. My advice is to get it sold on eBay as quickly as possible, and to keep repeating the “3 Fs “ mantra to yourself so you don’t make the same mistake again.

Can't remember if it was on a thread, but I'm sure there was talk of 10% of the capital value being the amount to budget for everything annually. Is that accurate?

Not too bad if the craft is worth £1000.

But as the capital value rises...

Craftsman
    To be fair some good advice (mostly to get shut!!)
    I will look at courses as I don't want to put us and our families or others at risk.
    Probably look at starting at a lake first.
    Looking at becoming a member of the local boat club who provide advice and help and certainly won't put up with being silly!
    It will be fully insured, etc.
    When it does go near the sea, all precautions will be in place, even getting a small backup outboard.
    See how it goes.

To be fair some good advice (mostly to get shut!!)
    I will look at courses as I don't want to put us and our families or others at risk.
    Probably look at starting at a lake first.
    Looking at becoming a member of the local boat club who provide advice and help and certainly won't put up with being silly!
    It will be fully insured, etc.
    When it does go near the sea, all precautions will be in place, even getting a small backup outboard.
    See how it goes.

Pointy end is the front
    Blunt end is the back
    remember you cant float when you are unconscious so always wear a life jacket

Pointy end is the front
    Blunt end is the back
    remember you cant float when you are unconscious so always wear a life jacket
    Well typically you can float, you just can't swim. In that scenario you need an auto inflating lifejacket, and remember the lifejackets also need periodic checking and servicing.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Well typically you can float, you just can't swim. In that scenario you need an auto inflating lifejacket, and remember the lifejackets also need periodic checking and servicing.
    Even if you can float...it will most likely be face down when unconscious. That's the difference between a lifejacket and a life vest / buoyancy aid, the former will turn you onto your back, ie face up.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Even if you can float...it will most likely be face down when unconscious. That's the difference between a lifejacket and a life vest / buoyancy aid, the former will turn you onto your back, ie face up.
    Yes I know that … which is why I said auto inflating lifejacket … I wasn’t trying to provide a detailed analysis of personal flotation devices just a slightly serious response to a slightly throwaway comment …

Yes I know that … which is why I said auto inflating lifejacket … I wasn’t trying to provide a detailed analysis of personal flotation devices just a slightly serious response to a slightly throwaway comment …
    It wasn't that throw away, when we used to ski off Point Clear, the Police launch often came over to check we had life jackets on, they always said "remember, you can't float if you are unconscious"

I'm sure you do...I was responding to "Well typically you can float, you just can't swim" to provide some background for others who might take an interest in this thread. As is this...swimming is difficult in a lifejacket (which is one of the reasons for preferring a buoyancy aid in appropriate circumstances) and not generally recommended should you go overboard (conscious or unconscious).

Ok actually that is helpful.

Just to be clear, when should kids wear life jackets and when should they wear buoyancy aids?

Typical examples:

- surfing
    - paddle boarding
    - mucking about on inflatables that are moored in deep water

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Ok actually that is helpful.

Just to be clear, when should kids wear life jackets and when should they wear buoyancy aids?

Typical examples:

- surfing
    - paddle boarding
    - mucking about on inflatables that are moored in deep water
    There are no hard and fast rules, but several factors need to be taken into account, including:

• experience and ability to swim

• likelihood of entering the water unconscious

• speed with which aid can be relied upon to arrive (eg safety boats or others involved in the activity)

• mobility required for the activity

• weather conditions

• etc

Like many things in life is a matter of balancing the risks and benefits for any particular case. Both the RYA and RNLI provide guidance on the subject, including for children:

I'm just listening to the video and think it is worth a watch.

Apologies to the OP...we seem to have hijacked your thread, but hopefully most of the info is useful.
    Last edited by PickleB; 25th August 2021 at 12:52.

Craftsman
    No, Thanks for the advice.
    On a serious note although bought when not fully thought through I would not want to put myself, family and friends at risk so all the input on safety will be taken on board (excuse the pun!)
    Reading the above there is alot to think about!
    Think the boat will spend more time on dry land the rest of this season until we get everything sorted.
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    There are no hard and fast rules, but several factors need to be taken into account, including:

• experience and ability to swim

• likelihood of entering the water unconscious

• speed with which aid can be relied upon to arrive (eg safety boats or others involved in the activity)

• mobility required for the activity

• weather conditions

• etc

Like many things in life is a matter of balancing the risks and benefits for any particular case. Both the RYA and RNLI provide guidance on the subject, including for children:

I'm just listening to the video and think it is worth a watch.

Apologies to the OP...we seem to have hijacked your thread, but hopefully most of the info is useful.

Some good advice there. One other consideration that didn’t seem to be explicit is what activity are you going to be doing and will it affect *how* you might end up in the water?

As an example in the rowing world we do not recommend either auto inflate life jackets or buoyancy aids for coxes in front loading boats - the reason for this is the cox sits in the boat and if it capsizes the cox is likely to be trapped under the boat and then be held in the boat and thus under water by the flotation device. In that example they need to wear a manual inflating life jacket.

Some good advice there. One other consideration that didn’t seem to be explicit is what activity are you going to be doing and will it affect *how* you might end up in the water?

As an example in the rowing world we do not recommend either auto inflate life jackets or buoyancy aids for coxes in front loading boats - the reason for this is the cox sits in the boat and if it capsizes the cox is likely to be trapped under the boat and then be held in the boat and thus under water by the flotation device. In that example they need to wear a manual inflating life jacket.
    Very true, see Capsize of Army Cadet Force rigid raiding craft for:

Conclusions
    3.2 The lifejacket worn by Cadet M was not approved for use by children, and its buoyancy was over three times that of the SOLAS approved lifejackets supplied by the MoD for cadet force adventurous training activities. Consequently, once inflated, it would have pinned Cadet M under the craft and prevented her escape

See also other reports re using a kill cord in RIBs etc. Draw on the experience of others and make an assessment to suit your own circumstances.

We had a rule that crew wore lifejackets when at sea and on deck (10 m yacht). We didn't insist on them around the marina...but many parents do. Fortunately the night one of my crew walked off of the pontoon I heard the splash and he was accompanied by another youngster. Yes, he did report "He's fallen in the water". It can be difficult to explain to kids why one minute they're allowed to jump of the boat at anchor to go swimming yet lifejackets 'must be worn' sculling around the marina in the inflatable. They don't see the there is always an adult on deck keeping a lookout while they're swimming while the boat is prepared with a long line trailing astern and the anchor ready to slip (to be recovered later). Floating around the marina they can easily go out of sight (even if they don't intend to) and there are moving boats to contend with in close proximity.

In amongst all this talk of expenses associated with running a boat this is probably the cheapest item to buy, but could be the most important thing you will need:

Make sure you attach it EVERY time before you start the engine and ALWAYS keep it attached to your flotation device.

https://youtu.be/bfW1UaidQ80

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The most important thing is to wear a kill chord ... if you want to keep yourself, your family and others safe then wear a kill chord.

https://safety4sea.com/hm-coastguard...oating-safety/

We call people who turn up with speedboats and jetskis and no idea the Romford Navy ... they are a complete menace and major risk.

The worst one I have seen apart from the many vehicles that end up in the sea was a guy with a speed boat similar to the one you have bought with a huge outboard ... he got about 20 ft off the slip way and gave it a massive handful of throttle ... this must have been his first time in a boat and the prop warp skewed the boat forward and in a huge arc at high speed ... his mate jumped out the back moments before he T boned the easy quay of the harbour ... he smashed the windscreen out with his head and the front of the boat looked like a Turkish slipper ... fortunately no one was seriously injured.

Seriously I think the best advice is above ... put it back on eBay and have a rethink. If you still fancy the idea then join a club; do some courses and rent a boat when you want to ...

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    In amongst all this talk of expenses associated with running a boat this is probably the cheapest item to buy, but could be the most important thing you will need:

Make sure you attach it EVERY time before you start the engine and ALWAYS keep it attached to your flotation device.

R
    with a floaty thing for the keys:-)

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    Good call, I was once in 5 metre rib that the skipper managed to flip approaching the slip at Withernsea, 6 divers and all their gear flying about was bad enough, a huge fizzing outboard doesn't bear thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Good call, I was once in 5 metre rib that the skipper managed to flip approaching the slip at Withernsea, 6 divers and all their gear flying about was bad enough, a huge fizzing outboard doesn't bear thinking about.
    I'm sure the family in the linked video would agree with you - now.

R

Oh Christ.

That video.

Thanks R and tertius and Montello and especially Pickle B for the detailed post - had no idea of the full ramifications of the choices made. Sobering stuff.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Oh Christ.

That video.

Thanks R and tertius and Montello and especially Pickle B for the detailed post - had no idea of the full ramifications of the choices made. Sobering stuff.
    I think people often under estimate the risks of powerboats ... much like they do with cars etc ... just that road death is so normalised now no one seems to care where as boating deaths are relatively rare thankfully.

Master
    Have you got B+E on your drivers licence for the towing?