closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RIP - Charlie Watts

Craftsman

RIP - Charlie Watts

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts dies at 80 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58316842

So sad to see this.

Seen them several times and each time they were excellent.

Jake
    Last edited by Jake; 24th August 2021 at 18:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts dies at 80 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58316842

So sad to see this.

Seen them several times and each time they were excellent.

Jake
    Very sad indeed. And yes, I've seen them in different decades and they are always spot on. Icon is a very overused term these day, but not in his case

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    RIP Charlie, legend for sure.

A story about him goes . . . .

An intoxintoxicated Jagger phones Watt’s hotel room in the middle of the night asking ’Wheres my drummer?’ Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs and punched Jagger in the face, saying ’Don’t ever call ke your drummer again, you’re my f**king singer!’

Happily married for 50+ years and a reluctant rock star who preferred to go home to his family after a gig. Apparently he lived for jazz music. Sounds like he was a true gent

Master
    RIP Charlie

I was always a Beatles fan until 1969 in the roundabout club aldershot when I heard honky tonk woman bloody wonderful.

Master
    A fantastic life led by a fantastic drummer in one of the Worlds most iconic bands,
    it can’t get much better than that for a musician.

RIP Charlie

Sad to hear he's died. He primarily was a lover of jazz drumming and had his own big band. He once said being a drummer in the Stones 'paid the bills'.
    His timing was impeccable and will be missed very much by his bandmates and fans.
    RIP Charlie, you were one of the best.

RIP Charlie

Such an unorthodox rock star, kept to his values throughout

Salute

Tim

Master
    Lucky enough to have seen them a few years ago at Glastonbury and they were just excellent.
    His drumming seemed effortless he was that good.
    A great life lived and seemingly a lovely man too, RIP.

It said on the news that he knew he had a substance abuse problem, when Keith sat him down and had a word with him

R.I.P….Charlie..

Master
    RIP Charlie, your ability has kept my toes tapping, head nodding for many a year.

A friend did a job with Mr Watts and said he was lovely with a great sense of humour, polite and good company. Great drummer, really the 'rock' in the Stones.

Master
    Such a shame - saw the Stones several times,always great concerts.

RIP - Charlie Watts

A sad day. Charlie seemed like a true gentleman and as others have said, didn’t fit the rock star mould (and was all the better for it!). He will be missed by his family, the band and the millions of us who enjoyed their music over all of these years.

T.G.

Great drummer and he seemed such an unassuming sort of guy. RIP and thanks for the music through the years.

Rest in peace

Whilst I'm not a Rolling Stones fanatic, I was genuinely sad to hear of his passing.

He always struck me as both the 'coolest' and most modest member of the group, with truly impeccable style - a graphic designer with over 200 suits! The sort of rock-solid musician & character who quietly but authoritatively keeps a band together, musically and otherwise.

In a strange way, it was mildly comforting that the four Stones were still out there, rocking the World, alongside other British musical icons. The beginning of the end of an era, I fear.

RIP.

Journeyman
    RIP Charlie. Sad news and irreplaceable.

I echo the comments.

Always seemed the most unassuming and coolest member of the Stones to me.

The others were 'rockstars', he just knew he was the keystone to their success.

I saw them many years ago (late '80s probably - We figured it may well be their last tour! ) and they were very good, but I watched the film of their tour in Latin America a year or so ago and it was clear they all just enjoyed each others' company and were still, after all these years, having fun.

They won't be THE Rolling Stones without Charlie Watts.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    One of my colleagues, grandad worked on his estate in Dolton his whole life. My colleague is 51 so we're talking some years ago. He was one of those people who never really left his village his entire life as people did back then, especially in rural parts of Devon. When Charlie bought the estate he thought he'd be made redundant, but as he knew the land so well he gave him a job for life. Think he still worked there until his late 70's. I'm talking 25/30 years ago, he gave his grandad 4 tickets to a Stones concert and when they got there, they were in the VIP section with the likes of Simon Le Bon. He said his grandad was like a fish out of water but had an amazing experience.

When he died he said Charlie sent a huge bunch of flowers to the funeral and that was some years after he retired, even though he was away on tour at the time. Guess that sums up the type of person he was :-)

Very versatile drummer that adapted to great musical changes throughout the sixties and seventies. He never lost touch with reality and lived a wonderful life.
    Thanks for the music, Miss you, is one of my Stones favourites. Charlie Watts will definitely be missed. RIP

Class, sounds like a genuine lovely man.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    One of my colleagues, grandad worked on his estate in Dolton his whole life. My colleague is 51 so we're talking some years ago. He was one of those people who never really left his village his entire life as people did back then, especially in rural parts of Devon. When Charlie bought the estate he thought he'd be made redundant, but as he knew the land so well he gave him a job for life. Think he still worked there until his late 70's. I'm talking 25/30 years ago, he gave his grandad 4 tickets to a Stones concert and when they got there, they were in the VIP section with the likes of Simon Le Bon. He said his grandad was like a fish out of water but had an amazing experience.

When he died he said Charlie sent a huge bunch of flowers to the funeral and that was some years after he retired, even though he was away on tour at the time. Guess that sums up the type of person he was :-)

My old neighbour in Chelsea.

That's my old house directly behind them in the picture, Edith Grove, Chelsea, where i lived with my parents at the time.
    The Stones lived four doors away to the left as you look at the picture.
    The other pictures is in Bifron street, which was opposite our house and where we played as kids, some of the chalk writing on the wall is mine

^^^ Wow.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    At the top for 50 years plus, playing the biggest gigs, influencing every band afterwards. All without being recognized. On the 1972 tour, the band stayed with Hugh Hefner at the Playboy mansion where allegedly a bunny asked 'whose Charlie?' She knew who Mick and Keith was. But an unassuming man in a business where your history v.quickly

Not many 'mega' bands left intact now, time catches us all.

A decent man and a great musician. RIP.