closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Kurono. "It's not a women's watch, but men won't be able to buy it.."

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    It has an alarm function but no snooze button because you is either woke or you ain't.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    whereas men cannot wear a ladies specific watch.
    Men can wear any ladies watch.
    Won't and don't are entirely different to can't.

What small but unignorable bit of text on a caseback would make a watch absolute kryponite to men?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    What small but unignorable bit of text on a caseback would make a watch absolute kryponite to men?
    Daniel Wellington.

Actually, that applies to anyone and everyone.

Anyway, they have backtracked now
    500 pieces- 50/50 allocation.

INTRODUCING THE NEW KURONO 青磁:SEIJI

The new KURONO 青磁:SEIJI is a limited 500-piece release in a celadon-like blue-green lacquer dial finish in KURONO’s iconic 37mm case. Positioned for female collectors, KURONO 青磁:SEIJI is a conscious effort to increase the diversity of KURONO collectors. 50% of allocations will be reserved for KURONO Contributors and existing customers. 50% of allocations will be for public sale.

There will no longer be a need for a nomination process as previously announced, and will accept expressions of interest from all. We would wish to emphasize that our intentions are to welcome more female collectors into the KURONO family. It is our hope that SEIJI will largely be bought by, or bought for, and go towards female collectors.

The new KURONO 青磁:SEIJI represents only the second time we are launching a solid lacquer dial watch. SEIJI is finished in a celadon-like bluish green finish - a color that wasn't just chosen from color swatches, but literally mixed by hand by master watchmaker Hajime Asaoka himself in his atelier in late 2020. Specifically paired with a white calf leather strap, SEIJI takes a fresher, more youthful and slightly edgier outlook than any of our previous offerings.

KURONO is an extension of sensei's desire to make his designs a lot more accessible, and it is to that end that we hope that KURONO 青磁:SEIJI will allow us to increase the diversity of voices in the KURONO collector community.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 25th August 2021 at 15:03.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Shame for some, victory for many.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Imagine if you will telling a feminist she couldn't buy a watch because it was for Men, light tampon fuse and stand well back.
    Im astonished you havent been flamed for this comment, but you're correct - it'd boot right off...

...now ME - I really couldnt care less if they want to make this watch female-only... but I think I would if I was a woman - sending something so "meh" my way and sparing my male counterparts the insult. I know most watch companies sell "women only" watches - but theres nothing to stop anyone of any gender buying them, and if a woman doesnt like them shes perfectly entitled to buy a mans watch and wear it - in fact some "mens" watches actually look better on the wrists of women.

But as said, its all marketing - whether good or not - to get us on the "hamster wheel". I dont think its going to affect my sleep tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Anyway, they have backtracked now
    500 pieces- 50/50 allocation.

INTRODUCING THE NEW KURONO 青磁:SEIJI

The new KURONO 青磁:SEIJI is a limited 500-piece release in a celadon-like blue-green lacquer dial finish in KURONO’s iconic 37mm case. Positioned for female collectors, KURONO 青磁:SEIJI is a conscious effort to increase the diversity of KURONO collectors. 50% of allocations will be reserved for KURONO Contributors and existing customers. 50% of allocations will be for public sale.

There will no longer be a need for a nomination process as previously announced, and will accept expressions of interest from all. We would wish to emphasize that our intentions are to welcome more female collectors into the KURONO family. It is our hope that SEIJI will largely be bought by, or bought for, and go towards female collectors.

The new KURONO 青磁:SEIJI represents only the second time we are launching a solid lacquer dial watch. SEIJI is finished in a celadon-like bluish green finish - a color that wasn't just chosen from color swatches, but literally mixed by hand by master watchmaker Hajime Asaoka himself in his atelier in late 2020. Specifically paired with a white calf leather strap, SEIJI takes a fresher, more youthful and slightly edgier outlook than any of our previous offerings.

KURONO is an extension of sensei's desire to make his designs a lot more accessible, and it is to that end that we hope that KURONO 青磁:SEIJI will allow us to increase the diversity of voices in the KURONO collector community.
    Sensible really... Motivated by lack of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Sensible really... Motivated by lack of interest?
    I doubt it. They would be able to sell 388 watches in 388 nanoseconds.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I doubt it. They would be able to sell 388 watches in 388 nanoseconds.
    Hence my question mark Raj. Im not familiar... so, a decision based on being fair then it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Hence my question mark Raj. Im not familiar... so, a decision based on being fair then it seems.
    Or too much criticism on social media.
    Kurono make some fine watches but these kind of brands are very reliant on social
    Media presence and fawning.

Funny they've back tracked, can't imagine why any company would get flack for such blatant sex discrimination?

Imagine Hermes launching a new Man bag and saying only Men can buy it, send a copy of your Male Patriarchy membership card to purchase, despite no Women even wanting it the crap would hit the fan like Bill Cosby getting a job at TGI Fridays

As minority Man bag buying Men can't we just have one drop in the Ocean for ourselves? Feminist sympathy level: Zero

Double standards.

Gammon Two Zero, Over and Out.

Hate to say it but this whole thread has been an exhibition in misogyny dressed up as mock outrage.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Hate to say it but this whole thread has been an exhibition in misogyny dressed up as mock outrage.
    Im glad that actual blokes can see it Ryan.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Funny they've back tracked, can't imagine why any company would get flack for such blatant sex discrimination?

Imagine Hermes launching a new Man bag and saying only Men can buy it, send a copy of your Male Patriarchy membership card to purchase, despite no Women even wanting it the crap would hit the fan like Bill Cosby getting a job at TGI Fridays

As minority Man bag buying Men can't we just have one drop in the Ocean for ourselves? Feminist sympathy level: Zero

Double standards.

Gammon Two Zero, Over and Out.
    The sad thing is that you really, genuinely believe, that women/feminists would give a sh*t about men being able to buy something that they cant.
    Like they have no thing else in the world to worry about.
    This thread evidences absolute male entitlement, dont try and deflect it on to women.
    Last edited by verv; 25th August 2021 at 16:58. Reason: spelling

Nonsense thread title, in that men can buy it (e.g. through female contacts) - I'd also say it is a ladies' watch (colour, strap, size). The fact that 70% (now 50%) of the allocation is reserved for existing customers or active supporters - fine, no different to other hard-to-get watches - plus, Kurono's choice how they market and sell it, I couldn't care less. Folk on here would argue about anything and nothing.

P.S. And nonsense also to say that someone can't wear a particular watch. Anyone can wear any watch (if they can afford it and get their hands on it).
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 25th August 2021 at 18:06. Reason: P.S.

Wow!

I just thought the whole idea was rather patronising and just another gimmick from the latest trend of short supply create feeding frenzy watch market. That being said some of the reactions to it have almost justified the idea behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post

Folk on here would argue about anything and nothing.
    No they wouldn't.

No, no it absolutely hasnt.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The sad thing is that you really, genuinely believe, that women/feminists would give a sh*t about men being able to buy something that they cant.
    Like they have no thing else in the world to worry about.
    This thread evidences absolute male entitlement, dont try and deflect it on to women.
    The problem with forum membership is that sometimes you have to clash with people you genuinely like and respect... so here I go... some - and not in any way few - IN FACT MANY - women/feminists would ABSOLUTELY spit their dummies out about men "being able to buy something they cant."

And rightly so - just as in the 60s a black person would give the same sh**t about not being able to buy the same burger in the same cafe as a white person... equality means equality - not about sticking a thumb on one side of the scales to favour an underdog.

I will be very, very sad if I am now tarred and feathered as some kind of bigot...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    No they wouldn't.
    Yes they would.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Nonsense thread title
    I think you’re saying it’s a nonsense statement that men can’t buy it when they clearly can/will, but just for the avoidance of doubt that was a direct quote from their marketing spiel

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I dont particularly think of it as a clash.
    'm sure that there are women who seek to dummy spit, there certainly seems to be a few men willing to so I'm sure their counterparts exist.
    There are plenty of places that women have historically not been welcome, for example the Freemasons and until very recently many golf clubs. There are countries in the middle east where they are not permitted to drive and sold off as child brides. They were only allowed bank accounts here in the developed world from 1975.

I am a woman.
    Current "things that really get my feminist goat" are as follows -

Women losing safe spaces because men wish to centre themselves within them, most recently the male CEO of a rape crisis centre saying that if women wish to receive support they must first "reframe their trauma" (fear of men) and lose their bigotry (fear of men) when accessing the service because he "identifies" as a woman and feels that he has every right to occupy a position of power over vulnerable women.
    Women and female children in Afghanistan being punitively targeted by rape squads for daring to live a life in public prior to occupation by the Taliban.
    The majority of female children under the age of 16 who access social media have already been treated to unsolicited images if male genitalia.
    The persistent threats of death, rape, and violence towards women who refuse to believe that male genitalia is really female and validate it accordingly by giving access to their bodies.
    The ongoing purchase of impoverished female bodies being put into servitude via trafficking or surrogacy. Particularly ubderage Eastern European girls.
    Rape survivors in the UK being branded transphobic and being used as a training example because they asked for a female to examine their breasts . (NHS Sussex)

It is my opinion that the overreaching attitude of society ranging from"woke" to "barbaric" at present is that women cannot be permitted anything or anywhere that SOME men are unable to intrude upon, whether that's safe spaces, shelters, their own bodies or their autonomy.
    The situation for women globally is really quite depressing.

A Japanese watch company decides to make a watch and says "women, you're appreciated, this one's for you" and the uproar has resulted in this being removed. Not because the men complaining wanted to buy the watch, but because they didn't want women to be offered something that they couldn't have. And they have the audacity to claim that this is because of their deep seated aversion to discrimination.

Then, we have another guy coming along post discussion about lighting womens tampon strings (which was ignored because look at it) and insisting that feminists are so utterly vacuous that a point of riot would be Hermes releasing a bag just for men.
    I envy his planet, I pity his attitude, but the kurono debacle is a microscopic example of the bigger picture. It's genuinely sad.

I have no objection to us being in disagreement about it, but we are. I'm aware that my view on the matter is at odds with the wider demographic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Shame for some, victory for many.
    I am with you on that.
    The fact that they backtracked makes it even worse for me…
    Despite the outrage if their genuine concern was to bring more women in the collecting world they should have stuck to their guns.
    Their handling is awful really and completely puts me off the brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Patronising cobblers.

Who has stopped women being interested in watches? I think it’s just one of those interests/hobbies that attracts men more than women. Likewise I imagine more women are interested than men in a million and one other things.

It’s like the frothing at the mouth when women are represented in a particular job at a lower % than the general population - except when it’s a dirty/dangerous/badly paid one.

Hopefully Kurono are also promoting equal opportunities and removing gender pay gaps both internally and in their supply chains

One issue with Kurono watches is that flippers, speculators and collectors buy them all too fast. These people are 99.99% men. So this is one way to address it. Kurono are basically saying that they would like to see their watches in the hands of a more diverse audience and this is how they are going to implement it. Again, I'm all for it.

Master
    Hopefully Kurono are also promoting equal opportunities and removing gender pay gaps both internally and in their supply chains

One issue with Kurono watches is that flippers, speculators and collectors buy them all too fast. These people are 99.99% men. So this is one way to address it. Kurono are basically saying that they would like to see their watches in the hands of a more diverse audience and this is how they are going to implement it. Again, I'm all for it.
    But it seems like they are not anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    But it seems like they are not anymore!

Well it says they will give priority to females in the ballot so I guess they are?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    I am with you on that.
    The fact that they backtracked makes it even worse for me…
    Despite the outrage if their genuine concern was to bring more women in the collecting world they should have stuck to their guns.
    Their handling is awful really and completely puts me off the brand

Yes, I agree. Just seems weak to me now.

Master
    I'm struggling to be very offended by this; I see some contributors have managed it but if anything I find the implication that women need to have a watch reserved for them, presumably because they wouldn't normally be able to compete against men as watch consumers, a bit patronising. And odd.