closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Yet another car thread - anyone had a '18 on Audi A5/S5?

Yet another car thread - anyone had a '18 on Audi A5/S5?

Hello, hive-mind.

My current object of obsession is the B9, 2018 model on, Audi S5. Does anyone have any experience with them? I'd be going for the Sportback - the frameless doors do it for me! But there's a coupé and a convertible, too. Decent sized 3.0 V6, and acceleration (coupled with four-wheel-drive) that would have shamed a supercar 20 years ago!

This kinda thing -

Craftsman
    Wasn't it about then they changed to diesel?
    Not driven the S5 but have driven a few other models and the RS4. I think they are very good cars but I am an Audi fan boy!
    I have a B8 RS4 and it is a cracking car, I really don't know what to replace it with.
    The S5 sportback is very practical and yes I like the frameless windows too!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    Wasn't it about then they changed to diesel?
    Not driven the S5 but have driven a few other models and the RS4. I think they are very good cars but I am an Audi fan boy!
    I have a B8 RS4 and it is a cracking car, I really don't know what to replace it with.
    The S5 sportback is very practical and yes I like the frameless windows too!

I’m thinking it was later they went diesel, say 2020 onwards ?
    Neighbour has one in black and absolutely loves it!

For the S5, I think the only engine is a 3.0 V6 petrol with a turbo, but I know Audi is betting a lot on diesel.

I had frameless doors on my old Subaru Forester, and loved them!

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    For the S5, I think the only engine is a 3.0 V6 petrol with a turbo, but I know Audi is betting a lot on diesel.

I had frameless doors on my old Subaru Forester, and loved them!

I had the petrol turbo S4 same model as this. It was an awesome car, sticks to the road like glue and IMHO it had more than 350 BHP. It was very quick.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    I’m thinking it was later they went diesel, say 2020 onwards ?
    Neighbour has one in black and absolutely loves it!
    Ah ok later than I thought, seemed a strange move to me. Especially with all the issues around VAG group diesels. The petrol engine is a real cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post

As I mentioned 2020 it got the TDi engine

Master
    I had a 2017 B9 S5 Coupe on a good, but not amazing, lease deal. I also previously had a B8 A5 and the latter car was definitely better to drive and great on the motorway. Being a lease I didn't add too many options but the Virtual Cockpit was a must. I bet these cars are relatively cheap now, even with the recent increase in used car prices, and represent a lot of car for the money. It was also my other half's favourite car of mine as it came with the most comfortable seats which also had a massage function built-in as standard.

Last edited by mactrack; 23rd August 2021 at 21:47.

I didn’t have an S5 but I had a 2014 Audi A8 with the same 3.0 TFSI engine. Got it stage 1 remapped to circa 450bhp and it was a fast car. The power delivery was so smooth and linear. Quite deceiving really.

Ooh, remapping is something I'd not considered!

Andmactrack , thank you for your input. Yes, Virtual Cockpit please, and maybe the Comfort and Sound pack, and Ooh, the Light and Vision Pack!

If I did, and it's a big IF - I'd keep it for a while - ten years - after buying it outright. I'm looking at three-year-old models and making the maths work...

I'm normally a fan of bangernomics, and this would be the first new(-ish) car I'd have ever bought in the UK. We'll see - test drive needed, I think!

Master
    Ooh, remapping is something I'd not considered!

Andmactrack , thank you for your input. Yes, Virtual Cockpit please, and maybe the Comfort and Sound pack, and Ooh, the Light and Vision Pack!

If I did, and it's a big IF - I'd keep it for a while - ten years - after buying it outright. I'm looking at three-year-old models and making the maths work...

I'm normally a fan of bangernomics, and this would be the first new(-ish) car I'd have ever bought in the UK. We'll see - test drive needed, I think!
    I would have added all of those too if I had purchased instead of leased. I only added Virtual Cockpit, Folding Mirrors and Hill Hold Assist which came to less than metallic paint so had these instead and went with solid brilliant black paint. I ordered the car in late 2016 and took delivery on 1 March 2017 as the luxury (VED) tax came into effect on 1 April 2017 so something to be aware of when you're looking.

It’s a shame the 4.0 twin turbo V8 wasn’t available in the S5. I had an S6 with it in. Such a great engine. Once again, I had it stage 1 remapped to 550bhp. I had a Dragy GPS timing box and managed to obtain 0-60 times of 3.6 seconds.

Master
    Beautiful car mr panda sir! Crazy 0-60 gains there, isn’t stock around 4.5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet another car thread - anyone had a '18 on Audi A5/S5?

I had an S5 on a 17 plate
    It was a v nice car
    Kept it a while but ultimately it was just a fun tourer type thing imo

I do like audis but I’d be buying used approved

Last edited by Sweepinghand; 24th August 2021 at 09:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Beautiful car mr panda sir! Crazy 0-60 gains there, isn’t stock around 4.5?

I think the timing box was more tuned than the car, with a weight of 16oo+ kilos it would need about 650bhp and a lot of torque off the line to get down to 3.5, that would be seriously fast for a barge.

Craftsman
    I've got a 2017 S4 Avant and for me it's the perfect allrounder. It's really rapid but quiet and refined when you want it to be. Mine is stock and the best 0-60 I've had (dragy verified) is 4.44 seconds.

It's also just taken our family of 4 and the dog on holiday to Norfolk for the week and it did 38 mpg on the 120 mile journey home fully loaded with a roof box. I specifically went for the pre diesel model as the 3.0T V6 sounds lovely and has a split personality when you put it into dynamic mode with the values open.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had one at launch 08 3.0 ltr Quattro TDI two door, best car I ever had. We used to tour and drive down to friends in Spain it would eat the miles and it was quite frugal. One year my wife was ill and I drove back in one hit 1160 miles in 22 hours that car was faultless.
    Last edited by hilly10; 24th August 2021 at 10:43.

My son has an S5.

It's a nice enough motor but in confined spaces, parking, turning etc it feels like a boat!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Ha! Well, something to consider!

I'm also looking at the big-engined Mercedes wagons. I'm going to be chasing my tail here I can tell!

Ha! Well, something to consider!

I'm also looking at the big-engined Mercedes wagons. I'm going to be chasing my tail here I can tell!
    The Mercs are epic, if you can live with the running costs

I had an S5 Sportback for a while, very nice car only let down by the dimwitted gearbox, I put a DT-UK box on it which livened things up a bit

Journeyman
    Premium Audi always looks amazing! I guess that only the cars by Mercedes can compete with them in terms of design. Hope that in a month or so I will manage to get my first Audi TT. It is a bit used (3 yrs) but still much too expensive. Hope that this firm will help me in getting some finance.
    Last edited by Owren; 2nd September 2021 at 21:19.