closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is there a rum thread? If not here’s a rum thread!

Is there a rum thread? If not here’s a rum thread!

I’ve always been partial to the odd drop of rum and today’s wander around Cirencester’s food festival helped me discover a new flavour and maker. I could smell it as I walked past and was drawn to it like yogi bear to a picnic basket
    25% and smooth as silk across the rocks

Just wish it was Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Good idea, rum is clearly on the up. It’s probably where gin was 6 or 7 years ago and is growing rapidly. New small rum makers popping up everywhere. Used to love doing rum tours in the Caribbean back in the days of travel :-)

That looks rather tasty. There are a few rum threads but always room for another and it's rum that three letter words can't be searched for.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ecommendations

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-advice-needed

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?378043-Rum!

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?357066-Rum
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    That looks rather tasty. There are a few rum threads but always room for another and it's rum that three letter words can't be searched for.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ecommendations

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-advice-needed

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?378043-Rum!

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?357066-Rum
    ‘Yes that’s why I thought there wasn’t....how do you search 3 letters anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    ‘Yes that’s why I thought there wasn’t....how do you search 3 letters anyway?
    'Zacapa'
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I'm a malt whisky man myself, and although I know nought about rum I know what I like, which is Wood's Old Navy and Kraken. Re the OP, did you chance upon a cider maker at Cirencester called Robert Cook? Probably retired now, but my namesake, who I had a good crack with some years ago when holidaying down there and met him at his stall in the outdoor market in Ciren. That was back when Bob Ashley had the Twelve Bells on Lewis Lane when it was a proper pub, had some great after hours sessions in there with him. Happy days!
    Last edited by magirus; 22nd August 2021 at 23:34.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I'm in but I tend to stick to very traditional Caribbean stuff.
    I bought a bottle of Don Papa from the Philippines and it was dreadful, reminded me of a local bottle I was pleased to find in Madeira a few years ago but it wasn't quite what I expected.
    Appletons and Mount Gay work fine for me, Brugal or Cockspur if not. MG Black Bottle is just as good as XO and a whole lot cheaper although both seem a lot more than I remember.

MG eclipse and A signature are fine for a coke mix but a bit rough just to drink but if needs must...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    I'm in but I tend to stick to very traditional Caribbean stuff.
    I bought a bottle of Don Papa from the Philippines and it was dreadful, reminded me of a local bottle I was pleased to find in Madeira a few years ago but it wasn't quite what I expected.
    Appletons and Mount Gay work fine for me, Brugal or Cockspur if not. MG Black Bottle is just as good as XO and a whole lot cheaper although both seem a lot more than I remember.

MG eclipse and A signature are fine for a coke mix but a bit rough just to drink but if needs must...
    Been a couple of years since we where back in the Philippines and I must admit never seeing that Don Papa rum. When I was there I always had Tanduay Superior (12 year) which I found pretty good, can be had over ice and is really good with mango juice. A mate of mine recommends Flor de Cana 18 year. I'll be seeing if they have it in the airport on the way home

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I'm a malt whisky man myself, and although I know nought about rum I know what I like, which is Wood's Old Navy and Kraken. Re the OP, did you chance upon a cider maker at Cirencester called Robert Cook? Probably retired now, but my namesake, who I had a good crack with some years ago when holidaying down there and met him at his stall in the outdoor market in Ciren. That was back when Bob Ashley had the Twelve Bells on Lewis Lane when it was a proper pub, had some great after hours sessions in there with him. Happy days!
    No I didn’t, there were several beer/cider makers there but didn’t clock their names.

Craftsman
    Diplomatica Reserva is my favourite.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Don Papa is awful - lots of advertising but full of sugar, caramel and vanilla. If rum had proper rules around what you could call rum this wouldn't be called rum.

My favourites:

For sipping:
    El Dorado 15yr
    Zacapa
    Havana Club Seleccion Maestro
    Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva

Rum old fashioned:
    Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
    El Dorado 12yr
    Pampero
    Flor de Cana

Mojito/cocktails
    Havana Club 3yr

Dark and Stormy: Woods Old Navy
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 23rd August 2021 at 09:59.

Same here, love this stuff to have neat or on the rocks. I quite like spiced rum like Sailor Jerry if you are going to add coke to it.

And for something a bit different a Dark and Stormy with

with

Fever Tree is really spicy, much better than a lot of other ginger beers like Old Jamaica which I find very sickly.

Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    Diplomatica Reserva is my favourite.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by sjedwardz; 23rd August 2021 at 11:37.

Craftsman
    I do like Rum , my grandfather introduced me by letting me have a rum and blackcurrant at Christmas when I was a kid , always Woods Navy which is still my fav , also drink Pussers Gunpowder Proof , Kraken or Screech (For nostalgia sake)

Master
    Only ever drink Appleton’s spent a few months in Belize and it’s just become the normal spirit of choice.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

Rum

Dark Matter........its what I imagine Captain Jack Sparrow would drink ;)

Yes - love sipping rum in the winter.

I've tried El Dorado 15yr but prefer Diplomatico. Pussers is nice as well.

I picked up a bottle of this at a local food and drink festival and it is incredible.

I've never really been into rum, certainly not on its own but this stuff is glorious. Pineapple infused (not a liquor, full strength) ice and decent lemon tonic, it's really good.

The only regret is that I didn't get a bigger bottle.

Went to St Lucia a couple of years back and paid a visit to Marigot Bay distillery. Great samples of their fine runs to be had including Bounty and Chairman’s Reserve.
    However this Denros was particularly potent.
    Apparently they sell it to the hotels for cocktails and punch!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    Went to St Lucia a couple of years back and paid a visit to Marigot Bay distillery. Great samples of their fine runs to be had including Bounty and Chairman’s Reserve.
    However this Denros was particularly potent.
    Apparently they sell it to the hotels for cocktails and punch!

I think that's the one that is illegal in import to many countries due to the percentage

Master
    Similar to Brugal 151. Locals don't drink it, it's just for cocktails and mixing. Apparently it isn't a coincidence that the local equivalent of 999 is ...151.
    I recall buying a bottle of something, Royal Oak maybe, in a little corner store in Tobago along with a 2 litre bottle of coke. The coke was more expensive.

Master
    Blog Entries

PSA: Cheap El Dorado 12yr

Currently £30 on Amazon....

Master
    Seadog from Aldi has now changed it's name to Cassario for some inexplicable. Still super nice though it kicks the crap out of my liver so I'm only drinking beer and philistine wine (Leibfraumilch) for the foresee-able.

Craftsman
    Inspired by the TZ rum thread, I spotted this at Tesco’s the other day

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/291899591

£25 with a club card

I have not tasted rum like it! Well worth a try

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk