closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grandmother clock

Grandmother clock

Hi chaps hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this clock we have. It has a Big Ben chime as well. It works, winds up but no doubt need a service.
    Anyone know the age of these things ?

Is it worth selling or scrapping? We’re just in the throws of moving into another property and it simply doesn’t go with the new modern decor.

I’ll post up some pics in hope someone can shed some more info on the clock.

Thanks in advance

Why would you scrap it? Sell it or donate it would be a better option

Sorry I hate to see any clock or watch get destroyed

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Why would you scrap it? Sell it or donate it would be a better option

Sorry I hate to see any clock or watch get destroyed
    Oh I absolutely agree. Hence posting on the forum. Be good to get a better idea about the workings and history of the manufacturer or if indeed anyone has one.
    If someone told me it’s junk then that’s a different matter. Either way I’d always want it to go to a good home

There is a fair bit online about Enfield. Founded in 1929 to emulate German clockmakers and even brought over German workers. Sold to Smiths in 1932 but still traded independently. This model is probably 1930’s as the factory was then used for war work and then closed in 1949. The name then ceased to exist as clocks were labelled as just Smiths or Smiths Enfield. They don’t seem to be worth a great deal but certainly shouldn’t be scrapped.

Master
    Doubt you would get anything for it I’ve just sold my mums victorion grandfather clock in perfect working order only got £350 for it

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    There is a fair bit online about Enfield. Founded in 1929 to emulate German clockmakers and even brought over German workers. Sold to Smiths in 1932 but still traded independently. This model is probably 1930’s as the factory was then used for war work and then closed in 1949. The name then ceased to exist as clocks were labelled as just Smiths or Smiths Enfield. They don’t seem to be worth a great deal but certainly shouldn’t be scrapped.
    Thanks for the info, that’s very interesting to think it’s survived the second WW as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Doubt you would get anything for it I’ve just sold my mums victorion grandfather clock in perfect working order only got £350 for it
    Maybe worth posting it on SC with donations to fundraiser for anyone who’s interested in it? Just a thought.
    Thanks for the info

Master
    Blog Entries
    They're obviously massively out of fashion. I expect a couple of hundred is the norm with only rare/top examples fetching decent money.
    Auction or charity probably best bet?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    They're obviously massively out of fashion. I expect a couple of hundred is the norm with only rare/top examples fetching decent money.
    Auction or charity probably best bet?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    They do seem to be got told my mums clock would have been worth 1.5k 20 years ago we also sold lots of mums beautiful Georgian and Victorian furniture for next to nothing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    They do seem to be got told my mums clock would have been worth 1.5k 20 years ago we also sold lots of mums beautiful Georgian and Victorian furniture for next to nothing
    The "brown furniture" antiques market has collapsed. I read an article that stated it has lost over 90% of its value.