closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: £50 for 3 new G shocks!

£50 for 3 new G shocks!

Well, more like £50 to fix up 3 old, forgotten 90’s G shocks with fresh batteries and a set of new 80’s clothes (all Casio parts) - and I have to say I’m delighted and I can actually see myself wearing all 3 again.
    The Dw-5600’s are my attempt to transform a couple of unworn beaters sat in a drawer - I’m delighted with the yellow one and have the correct matching yellow strap on its way (cost £38!) to finish the look. I was surprised to find the bull bars in stock, I always thought they look a bit stupid but I thought I’d give them a go amd I reckon they work with the yellow. I’ve always liked the basic stock screen on the vanilla dw5600e and this spices it up a bit. At 52 years of age I’ve no regard for what people think of what I wear so I shall be ‘wearing this bad boy in good health’ whatever that means!
    I can’t find the strap for the red one anywhere online, unless I want to spend over £100 on some dodgy looking Chinese site - but I might buy a set of bull bars. I reckon the red adds a bit of colour - perhaps more suited to business attire or a black tie do with the formal black strap?!?
    The G-8000 is a weird model, found it in a box in the garage with half the strap missing, covered in paint. A bit of a scrub, a new battery and silicone on the o-ring, a new strap - the original olive green doesn’t seem to be available - the only one I could find is the black one for £5.99(!) - and we’re back in business complete with flashing light for the alarm! It also feels weirdly light, as if it weighs half as much as the 5600’s.
    A great way to spend an hour fiddling with screwdrivers and watch tools, and nice to bring these back to life, especially as it takes them back to the roots of chunky basic digital sports watches in fun colours as opposed to some of the huge ugly versions now being produced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobDad; 22nd August 2021 at 16:16.

Time and cash well spent there! I really like the 8000, looks like something out of the cockpit of a '80s military aircraft.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Time and cash well spent there! I really like the 8000, looks like something out of the cockpit of a '80s military aircraft.
    Ditto, that’s a really unusual G-SHOCK.

Must. Resist…. eBay

Excellent work, the yellow with bars really works, but all are superb for the money they cost you. Your job satisfaction is of course priceless, be very proud.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

I love that G-8000. Looks like something that an 80’s James Bond might use to launch a ballistic missile.

Dibs on the 8000!!!

Well done on the restorations here - they all look cracking. But that last one… smashers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Excellent work, the yellow with bars really works, but all are superb for the money they cost you. Your job satisfaction is of course priceless, be very proud.

Haha! My youngest son has Down’s and spends all day asking ‘daddy, are you proud?’ - well today, yes I am!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Haha! My youngest son has Down’s and spends all day asking ‘daddy, are you proud?’ - well today, yes I am!

Fab, good on you Rob!

Well, wore the 8000 washing the car today and it’s totally flooded (the watch not the car) - so stripped it down and realised the positioning of the square o-ring is crucial to get absolutely right (the round ones are much easier tbh) and a bit too much silicon grease meant it was difficult to see it’s exact position. So I’ll dry it overnight and fingers crossed for the next attempt. I think I’m ok as it was just badly fogged and was still working before I took it apart. Every days a school day, the O ring is still soft and pliable and replacements aren’t available online so hope I can get it placed correctly