closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is it possible to get a good E bike under a grand ?

Is it possible to get a good E bike under a grand ?

I have been looking at different E bikes but in no time I am suddenly viewing bikes cost 5/6/7K, more expensive than my car !! :)

Any recommendations ?

Journeyman
    What do you want it for? Really makes a difference…

My mother just got a furo e bike and is really impressed, but I haven’t had a go on it yet. It does look good and doesn’t weigh a huge amount.

They do one for £1,399 apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, it depends entirely on what use you're looking for.

For a basic commute, I'd be looking at the GTech Sport or Pure Flux One

In a hybrid, you could look at the Riverside 500 or Carerra Subway

Not too many options for Road bike or MTB unfortunately (I mean there are, but nothing 'good').

Craftsman
    Also considering this in lieu of commuting on the tube. Looking at Google maps it says the cycle time is around 1 hour. How much is an e-bike likely to cut this down? I had a look in decathlon this morning, not sure of the quality but they seem sturdy and decent looking bikes.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Pedal-lec bikes cut the assistance at 15mph, the distance Google give should give the rough mph the are using should be able to work it out roughly from that.

Converted my Surly Troll mtb to an ebike with a Bafang motor kit from EclipseBikes. Not pretty but works fine as a commuter. An option if you've already got a bike collecting dust in the garage

Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    What do you want it for? Really makes a difference…

My mother just got a furo e bike and is really impressed, but I haven’t had a go on it yet. It does look good and doesn’t weigh a huge amount.

They do one for £1,399 apparently.

I fancy one just for the occasional ride out on a nice day, I suppose what I would like really is some kind of mountain bike, never going to go off road as such but some of the tracks I walk with the dogs and I would ride on are more like dirt tracks but not really bad.

Plus I would want to fit cow horn handle bars :)

A hybrid would allow both road and trail riding with ease.

I appreciate it's pushing the budget, but these are meant to be good:
    https://www.halfords.com/bikes/elect...es-445998.html

Or the cheaper model (with no suspension):
    https://www.halfords.com/bikes/elect...es-445926.html

Or an on-budget MTB:
    https://www.halfords.com/bikes/elect...es-446110.html

I’ve had a Carrera subway for about 5 years now good for commuting and the occasional tracks pretty reliable unless the head unit fails for which there are no spares or repair available

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

There's a school of thought that says you can't get a decent analogue bike for under a grand. It's not always right but you're asking quite a lot to get a good ebike under that money.

I generally use boardman as the acid test as they are usually super competitive price wise - cheapest ebike on there is £2k which would make me wary about anything significantly cheaper.

If you get out and about on a "normal" bike you'll be amazed at how quickly your fitness ramps up. Also you need to consider what's been stopping you going out up until now....for most people it's not the lack of electric assist....it's the weather / can't be arsed etc etc etc

EDIT : I was going to get a e-cargo bike for the kids and generally kicking about but they are a shit tonne of money. So i bought a second hand trailer and I set myself the challenge of using my hybrid and trailer as much as i possibly could. My theory was that if i used it more than x times a week then i could justify the e-cargo bike.

That was 6 months ago. I don't have a e-cargo bike.

(For reference i cycle about 2k miles a year, it's just my kids and i would rather be in the car when it's pishing down and it's an errand type run)
    Last edited by Lazydonkey; 20th August 2021 at 16:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    There's a school of thought that says you can't get a decent analogue bike for under a grand. It's not always right but you're asking quite a lot to get a good ebike under that money.

I generally use boardman as the acid test as they are usually super competitive price wise - cheapest ebike on there is £2k which would make me wary about anything significantly cheaper.

If you get out and about on a "normal" bike you'll be amazed at how quickly your fitness ramps up. Also you need to consider what's been stopping you going out up until now....for most people it's not the lack of electric assist....it's the weather / can't be arsed etc etc etc

I'm a complete e-bike convert. I'm physically pretty fit and do ~10 miles a day on a bike. I'm overweight (not hugely) and would consider myself middle-aged. I live in a hilly area and when using my 'normal' bike I simply cannot get up 3 severe inclines that are on my route; that stops me cycling as I hate to dismount and walk up them. With my ebike, I use the electric assist only on those inclines (and occasionally in windy weather) and will go out daily because I'm no longer worried about terrain. It's been an absolute godsend for me. In the last year of owning ebikes, I've done ~1000 miles compared to maybe 50-60 the previous year.

Can totally see that being the case - i guess what i was saying about the cargo bike was it 's all about assessing what's stopping you.

I know loads of people that bought expensive bikes with great intentions and they just sat in the garage. An e-bike is another level of investment altogether.

I paid about $2,000 for my Sondors Fold XS, which is a 20" fat tire folding bike. Not sure you can spend less for a decent ebike.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I paid about $2,000 for my Sondors Fold XS, which is a 20" fat tire folding bike. Not sure you can spend less for a decent ebike.
    Not in the UK
    John maybe a SH one - worth a look - a mate recently sold his hibike for £750 so they are out there
    I’m surprised you’ve not built your own
    My brother (yes younger) converted his Whyte mountain bike to electric- looks the part and goes like stink

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Not in the UK
    John maybe a SH one - worth a look - a mate recently sold his hibike for £750 so they are out there
    I’m surprised you’ve not built your own
    My brother (yes younger) converted his Whyte mountain bike to electric- looks the part and goes like stink
    I have been thinking SH perhaps the way to go Paul but I dident fancy paying a fair amount for something with no warranty which might suddenly die on me and then cost me a fortune to repair. There was one in the SC a while ago SH looked great but £2500 ish, fair bit over budget.

I don't know anything about them so i'm not going to build one plus i'm getting older and idler :)

I had been fancying another motor bike but then decided against it plus my wife said NO !! :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I have been thinking SH perhaps the way to go Paul but I dident fancy paying a fair amount for something with no warranty which might suddenly die on me and then cost me a fortune to repair. There was one in the SC a while ago SH looked great but £2500 ish, fair bit over budget.

I don't know anything about them so i'm not going to build one plus i'm getting older and idler :)

I had been fancying another motor bike but then decided against it plus my wife said NO !! :)
    I’m picking up a 650GS on Sunday

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    Converted my Surly Troll mtb to an ebike with a Bafang motor kit from EclipseBikes. Not pretty but works fine as a commuter. An option if you've already got a bike collecting dust in the garage
    Guy at work has 750w Bafang on his MTB, he carries the battery in a rucksack & uses an XLR connection between rucksack & saddle.
    He is always looking for the Lycra crew on his way home to pull along side & press assist - reckons it will do 40mph!!!

My cousin Rob owns an evoke shop he gets decent used ones in, as well as new ones.

This is his website

https://www.cranking.co.uk/

Tell him cousin Jon sent you.

Craftsman
    I recently dipped my toe in and bought a secondhand almost unused Halfords Apollo folder

I’m a cyclist, I’m 6ft 3 and on the wrong side of 17stone

I used it for a week and I’m converted, I have actually just sold it to My neighbour as it’s not going to be suitable for my frame, chosen journey or curb hopping style

Trying not to buy one as I really need a folder as work means I will have to get a train from time to time so will
    May well end up with a regular Brompton but I’m defiantly still in the undecided stage

Going to the Brompton shop in London tomorrow to get it out my system, if I can do that then I will be back looking and to hell with the consequences, worst case I will make sure it’s insured and just leave it at work

This is the leading non folder that I’m considering

https://www.vanmoof.com/en-GB/s3?color=dark

Master
    I'm a big (fat) ebike fan. Turned to the dark side after buying my first one about 5 years ago and never looked back.
    There is a lot of rubbish under a grand. If you upped your budget a couple hundred or so you could probably find a decent 'hardtail' 2 or 3 years old. Bosch motor is probably best as parts are easy to obtain and they can be serviced relatively easily, if not cheaply.
    What area are you in Tiger?

Here are a couple expert articles on the best folding ebikes for 2021:

https://electricbikereview.com/best-...lectric-bikes/

https://electricbikereport.com/best-...lectric-bikes/

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I'm a big (fat) ebike fan. Turned to the dark side after buying my first one about 5 years ago and never looked back.
    There is a lot of rubbish under a grand. If you upped your budget a couple hundred or so you could probably find a decent 'hardtail' 2 or 3 years old. Bosch motor is probably best as parts are easy to obtain and they can be serviced relatively easily, if not cheaply.
    What area are you in Tiger?

Just off Jct22 M1.

Master
    Bikes in USA are such better value - another ripoff Britain.

This is a topic I don't know much about, but Autocar recently reviewed this bike, and the article had my wallet twitching.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...=Move+Electric

Master
    Just off Jct22 M1.
    There isn't much around in your area but if you are prepared to travel there are a few on ebay that might be worth making a cheeky offer on.

I have been looking at different E bikes but in no time I am suddenly viewing bikes cost 5/6/7K, more expensive than my car !! :)

Any recommendations ?
    Depends what you are looking for but if you just want a cheap commuter option for normal road use..then take a look at Swytch universal conversion kit if you already own a bicycle..they are always offering 50% off for signing up on their website they also offer a Brompton conversion..Plenty of Youtube channels giving reviews and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    Depends what you are looking for but if you just want a cheap commuter option for normal road use..then take a look at Swytch universal conversion kit if you already own a bicycle..they are always offering 50% off for signing up on their website they also offer a Brompton conversion..Plenty of Youtube channels giving reviews and advice.

I fancy one just for the occasional ride out on a nice day, I suppose what I would like really is some kind of mountain bike, never going to go off road as such but some of the tracks I walk with the dogs and I would ride on are more like dirt tracks but not really bad.

Master
    I’d probably go down the hybrid route

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    This is a topic I don't know much about, but Autocar recently reviewed this bike, and the article had my wallet twitching.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...=Move+Electric

That looks and reads pretty decent (I think).

That looks and reads pretty decent (I think).
    THat's what I thought - short urban journeys? That's me. More research, I think!

Well, I just bought one. Will report in when it's here.

Master
    Blog Entries

Talking

John,

Why not hire an Ebike at Rutland.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/pages...ire-leicester/
    Last edited by Bry1975; 21st August 2021 at 22:16.

Master

Any recommendations ?
    Have a look at this one:
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...27395807700233

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Guy at work has 750w Bafang on his MTB, he carries the battery in a rucksack & uses an XLR connection between rucksack & saddle.
    He is always looking for the Lycra crew on his way home to pull along side & press assist - reckons it will do 40mph!!!
    That would be classed as a moped by the old bill. If he hit someone using that he could be charged with riding without an MoT, insurance etc. Pedelecs in the uk are rated to 250w max.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    John,

Why not hire an Ebike at Rutland.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/pages...ire-leicester/
    I have been thinking of that Bry, I pass by there a few times a week.

My foldable...

Well, I clearly have poor impulse control.

First impressions - solid and well built. The electric assistance is quite magical, like receiving a firm push in the back. Will get some air in the tyres today, and do a better report. (Might even do a YT video about it!)

First impressions - solid and well built. The electric assistance is quite magical, like receiving a firm push in the back. Will get some air in the tyres today, and do a better report. (Might even do a YT video about it!)
    What bike is that?

That looks smart, a dog walking friend mentioned that make to me, he said Watt, I said what but he said Watt :).

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    What bike is that?
    Ha ha yes, good joke.

Oh, sorry - the brank is Watt, and it's a New York Fixie.

Ha ha yes, good joke.

Oh, sorry - the brank is Watt, and it's a New York Fixie.
    Ah ok, I’ll have a look at those.

My current fixie is a Cinelli Gazetta, I do like the idea of an electric one as well.