timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths W10 NOS from 1969

Smiths W10 NOS from 1969

A rare one I believe

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...on/n1000791115

(no connection, just for info)

Smiths W10 NOS from 1969

Wow, that looks stunning. If I’ve worked out the price correctly it is £10k, which is about 10x the going rate. No idea if it is worth it but very special.

Plus I’ve now got 50% off something in Japan.

Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by alfat33; 19th August 2021 at 15:28.

I agree it’s a stunning looking watch and the extras are pretty cool, but the price - not a chance in hell.

I have noticed on e-bay that Japanese sellers do seem to ask crazy prices that bear no relation to the market rate for a particular watch. Can be a PITA when you are trying to buy a watch off someone and they quote a stupidly priced one seen on e-bay, to which I reply, let me guess a Japanese seller - did it sell? Thought not.

Yes it works out at around £10K at current rates.

As mentioned before, eBay isn't at all popular in Japan, so I suspect much on eBay from Japan is marketed for overseas buyers, perhaps priced accordingly by resellers. Yahoo Auctions, Mercari and Rakuten are where the local market is.

Anyhow, a few pics from the auction to brighten this thread...

I'm watching it to see if anyone bids...

The seller has a CWC Mellor-72 for sale too, at a fairly rich price, albeit less eye-watering than the W10

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...on/f1000562512

(no connection nor recommendation etc, just browsing)

I guess try and find another in that condition but there is likely one person in the world that would pay that.

TT, I hope you don’t mind that I post this on MWR in the Smiths forum (with appropriate attribution).

Craftsman
    I have a collector friend that bought a very similar full package from a UK dealer a few years ago for roughly a fifth of that asking price. There has been a few seen over the years. It is amazing to see one totally box fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    TT, I hope you don’t mind that I post this on MWR in the Smiths forum (with appropriate attribution).
    Go for it, it's a public auction. No attribution necessary (perhaps to this forum, but not me). Most gentlemanly to ask and appreciated though.

Just want to repeat lest anyone gets seriously interested: I have no idea who the seller is, nor can I vouch for anything whatsoever... caveat emptor.

TT

If someone pays even half that then I've got a few old Smiths they might be interested in.

Always happy to sell at two or three times the going rate!

I wonder how many unworn ones there are out there. Looks lovely, just an ambitious price.

T.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    The seller has a CWC Mellor-72 for sale too, at a fairly rich price, albeit less eye-watering than the W10

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...on/f1000562512

(no connection nor recommendation etc, just browsing)
    If my conversion calculation is correct that’s madness for a watch that is £450 new (and available!)

T.G.

My guess is that, as has already happened with the Mellor, the seller may find himself reducing the price of the W10. If I remember correctly, there are no listing fees on YA. So it costs nothing to test the market.

We shall see.

I put this one on my watchlist, so that I could see the final price should it sell. However, it attracted no bids. It has been relisted, at the same price. A patient fisherman.