closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hodinkee Oris limited edition release today

Hodinkee replied to a comment RE price - collab pricing is set by the manufacturer. I can believe that to an extent - Hodinkee probably have a set margin, price is largely irrelevant to them. I can see Oris getting greedy and charging a premium. Don't blame them tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Hodinkee replied to a comment RE price - collab pricing is set by the manufacturer. I can believe that to an extent - Hodinkee probably have a set margin, price is largely irrelevant to them. I can see Oris getting greedy and charging a premium. Don't blame them tbh.
    Step 1 - tell the manufacturer you are taking approx 30-35% from all sales.

Step 2 - manufacturer sets price based on your cut

Step 3 - blame manufacturer when people quite rightly ask wtf re price

Nice of them to comment. Since the travel clock they normally turn off comments on Instagram for collabs.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Step 1 - tell the manufacturer you are taking approx 30-35% from all sales.

Step 2 - manufacturer sets price based on your cut

Step 3 - blame manufacturer when people quite rightly ask wtf re price

Nice of them to comment. Since the travel clock they normally turn off comments on Instagram for collabs.
    I suspect it's closer to 60-70%......

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I suspect it's closer to 60-70%......
    Kevin Rose probably needs a few more platinum Lange's. If it helps him get them them 70% is cheap

I was interested when I saw they were going to announce something. The last one was really nice but the colour and price put me off this one.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

To be fair, the calibre 400 raises the price of an Oris Aquis from £1600 (Sellita) to £2700, so the increase for this divers 65 is within those boundaries.

Having said that, and reiterating that I do like the aesthetics of this one, I don’t think I’d pay BB58 money for a divers 65 with a printed dial.

Seems like a great movement but Oris has gone a bit loopy thinking they can charge that much. I might consider paying 20-30% over, but not 70%.

Out of interest, what do you folks think Oris need to do in order to justify a 3k watch with an in house movement whilst remaining an independent company? Hodinkee associations aside?

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Out of interest, what do you folks think Oris need to do in order to justify a 3k watch with an in house movement whilst remaining an independent company? Hodinkee associations aside?
    We have seen the same issue with other brands, G-Shock asking £7k for a LE and even Seiko doing something similar. Some brands in the minds of WIS people are pigeon holed in a certain price brand, cheap and cheerful, low priced divers etc, so when something comes out with a hefty price tag people on watch forums question it. I bet your average Joe walking into a watch shop wouldn’t hold the same opinions, if they like the watch and can afford it then they will buy it.

Just my thoughts on it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    We have seen the same issue with other brands, G-Shock asking £7k for a LE and even Seiko doing something similar. Some brands in the minds of WIS people are pigeon holed in a certain price brand, cheap and cheerful, low priced divers etc, so when something comes out with a hefty price tag people on watch forums question it. I bet your average Joe walking into a watch shop wouldn’t hold the same opinions, if they like the watch and can afford it then they will buy it.

I saw this yesterday. Luckily I was sitting down. I didn't know Bremont watches went that high. Imagine choosing the Bremont over the Breguet or Lange. Total LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

Agreed. It’s interesting to see that WIS seem more closed minded towards brands moving up the scale than your average Joe. Everyone has to start somewhere right? And in real terms, aside from marketing, what shouldn’t Oris charge as much as more ‘storied’ brands? On one hand we are more knowledgeable about the things that justify a price but then on the other we appoint a ‘ceiling’ to brands who should ‘stay in their lane’.

Craftsman

The issue I had with the Hodinkee Divers 65 was that it was a £3k watch which looked very similar to an existing Divers 65 that costs maybe £1,500, but in a different colour scheme. The existing Divers 65 set people's expection for the price to a large degree, movement not withstanding. For £3k, you may be getting an upgraded movement, but as a consumer I'd look for upgraded looks too and the Hodinkee special didn't deliver that.

To address your point, Oris produce the Pro Pilot X which retails for £5,950. It has an in-house movement, 10 day reserve, skeletonised in house movement and made of titanium.

https://www.oris.ch/en/collection/big-crown-propilot-x

I think Oris can justify this price because of the in house movement, the titanium and the look - it doesn't look like anything else in their line up. I respect what they've done there.

Agreed. It’s interesting to see that WIS seem more closed minded towards brands moving up the scale than your average Joe. Everyone has to start somewhere right? And in real terms, aside from marketing, what shouldn’t Oris charge as much as more ‘storied’ brands? On one hand we are more knowledgeable about the things that justify a price but then on the other we appoint a ‘ceiling’ to brands who should ‘stay in their lane’.
    Charging a price and commanding a price are two different things. More power to Oris if they want to charge more but it remains to be seen if without Hodinlee association they are able to command that price. People including WIS are free to like what they like and buy what they like. They can’t be told that a watch is worth an X price.

Yes I agree - and it’s probably worth a separate thread. But you do often see people say ‘£3k for an Oris - no way’ even if the watch has an in house movement and all the other trappings of a watch from a perceived higher caste. I guess in the end it all comes down to branding. Fortunate for us who are into watches, because we can get a bargain, but I do feel bad for Oris who must be scratching their heads asking why they can’t command the price they arguably deserve. But then again, maybe the prices across the whole I industry are crazy.

I had my second jab yesterday and may well be talking bollocks as the 5G corses through my system. But I know what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    The issue I had with the Hodinkee Divers 65 was that it was a £3k watch which looked very similar to an existing Divers 65 that costs maybe £1,500, but in a different colour scheme. The existing Divers 65 set people's expection for the price to a large degree, movement not withstanding. For £3k, you may be getting an upgraded movement, but as a consumer I'd look for upgraded looks too and the Hodinkee special didn't deliver that.

To address your point, Oris produce the Pro Pilot X which retails for £5,950. It has an in-house movement, 10 day reserve, skeletonised in house movement and made of titanium.

https://www.oris.ch/en/collection/big-crown-propilot-x

I think Oris can justify this price because of the in house movement, the titanium and the look - it doesn't look like anything else in their line up. I respect what they've done there.
    Completely agree with this and a good point about the Pro Pilot...nobody had a problem about an Oris at this price point for that model...it's praises were sung when it was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Ah, ok. I'd just seen a review of a normal 65 that said it had a screw down crown and had assumed they all did.

I was once looking at a diver with a manual movement and found out it had screw down crown...didn't buy it because I thought that was insane.
    The first hodinkee special edition had manual wind and screw down crown.

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    The original edition was push/ pull and manual wind.

Not seen the specs on the new one yet.
    The original hodinkee 65 definitely had a screw down crown.

I think Oris could reasonably charge 3k tomorrow if they made a watch that matched that price point.

I own a divers 65, I like how it looks and wears but it has what feels like a tin bezel, with a bit of play and not the best action. It has very simple case finishing and somewhat meagre water resistance. I think it just about gets away with it for being ‘Swiss Made’ and ‘faithful to the original’. At £1500, it’s tolerable but at close to £3k, it’s inexcusable (to me, YMMV etc).

As has been said, the divers 65 and aquis have been marketed as £1.5k watches. Oris would do better launching a new line to showcase the movement and up their prices and overall finishing to match. If the movement is that good and that expensive to make, it shouldn’t substitute a £150 movement in a £1500 watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I think Oris could reasonably charge 3k tomorrow if they made a watch that matched that price point.

I own a divers 65, I like how it looks and wears but it has what feels like a tin bezel, with a bit of play and not the best action. It has very simple case finishing and somewhat meagre water resistance. I think it just about gets away with it for being ‘Swiss Made’ and ‘faithful to the original’. At £1500, it’s tolerable but at close to £3k, it’s inexcusable (to me, YMMV etc).

As has been said, the divers 65 and aquis have been marketed as £1.5k watches. Oris would do better launching a new line to showcase the movement and up their prices and overall finishing to match. If the movement is that good and that expensive to make, it shouldn’t substitute a £150 movement in a £1500 watch.
    Yeah good call. I had a Calibre 111 which was lovely, and quite apart from the usual Oris line, being designed to showcase the 10 day movement. I’d live a smaller version of that watch with an 8 or even 5 day movement, manual wind with a power reserve.

Master
    Agree on some of the comments, but with the internet, I think buyers are more clued up on what they are spending their money on.

Anyway, this particular model won’t be available to buy in a shop. Any buyer of this LE will know about watches more so then the average buyer.

Craftsman
    Naff video. Anyone know what the music is on it though?

Lots of interesting comments on this thread. My two penneth is that this is like a lot of Hodinkee specials: looks great sat on an antique desk in an apartment in Queens beside the sleeve of a 26 year old architect wearing a submarine jumper as he reaches for his vintage Leica; looks shit in Basingstoke.

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    Lots of interesting comments on this thread. My two penneth is that this is like a lot of Hodinkee specials: looks great sat on an antique desk in an apartment in Queens beside the sleeve of a 26 year old architect wearing a submarine jumper as he reaches for his vintage Leica; looks shit in Basingstoke.
    😂 that