closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hodinkee Oris limited edition release today

Master

Hodinkee Oris limited edition release today

Being released today and a premature fratello article with an image of it.

https://static.fratello.com/2021/08/...dinkee-1-5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Hmm I wonder where the designer sought inspiration….

At least you can stay under water for 5 days with it on….

A bit drab.

Can't wait to see the marketing...I wonder whether Hondinkee will go for a mixture of 1960s Jacques Cousteau theme and twenty-something drinking coffee in his apartment.

I googled Hodinkee Oris and got this result...

https://www.orologium.com/archive/or...ition-new-2019

Did I read that correctly...manual wind...on a diver with screw down crown? What a pain! Is this 5-day version similar? How long are the crown tubes expected to last?

Craftsman
    not my cup of tea, if anything it looks like a poor redial

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Can't wait to see the marketing...I wonder whether Hondinkee will go for a mixture of 1960s Jacques Cousteau theme and twenty-something drinking coffee in his apartment.

I googled Hodinkee Oris and got this result...

https://www.orologium.com/archive/or...ition-new-2019

Did I read that correctly...manual wind...on a diver with screw down crown? What a pain! Is this 5-day version similar? How long are the crown tubes expected to last?
    Can’t see mention of a screw down crown anywhere, and given that it’s only rated to 100m I’d assume it’s not. Agree it’s a pretty bland looking thing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hodinkee: "Make us an overpriced special edition"

Oris: *Rummages in spare parts bin*

Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    Can’t see mention of a screw down crown anywhere, and given that it’s only rated to 100m I’d assume it’s not. Agree it’s a pretty bland looking thing.
    Ah, I'd assumed all the 65 had screw down crown.

I really like that, I’m a sucker for a grey dial.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    A bit drab.

Indeed.

If the design brief was make a watch that will go completely unnoticed they nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    The original edition was push/ pull and manual wind.

Not seen the specs on the new one yet.

Master
    I like it.

Craftsman
    Heres a link to the chached article

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Quite like the look of that, clean, uncluttered, simplicity. Minimalist aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by minskii View Post
    Heres a link to the chached article

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=uk
    Thanks - like the idea of the calibre 400 also the retro look of the watch. Probably to similar to my BB58 to warrant purchase (& will sell out in minutes) if only the put that calibre in the arabic style 65

I will not be buying one but I rather like it. An Oris chronograph purchased back in 1995 was my first decent watch so I hope this collaboration works well for them.

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    The original edition was push/ pull and manual wind.

Not seen the specs on the new one yet.
    Ah, ok. I'd just seen a review of a normal 65 that said it had a screw down crown and had assumed they all did.

I was once looking at a diver with a manual movement and found out it had screw down crown...didn't buy it because I thought that was insane.

Very boring and conservative, but that is essentially the mantra of Hodinkee nowadays and will probably sell out in no time.

I like it. One man’s drab / bland is another’s understated.

The calibre 400 inclusion is probably the most interesting aspect but it’ll probably cost £2500-3000 + import. Given that you can pick up an SW200 standard model for about £1300 with some haggling, It’s not one for me. Though I accept that being a hodinkee LE, this will probably go up in value, or at least retain more.

Don’t forget to factor in the residuals for those who worry about such things. Some special editions can lose 50% of their value the minute you walk out of the shop. Buying nearly new from someone who has already taken the hit is a much better option.

I had the 1917 LE which was £2,000 new. I got it and sold it for around the £1,100 mark when it was only a couple of months old.

Not an issue if you keep your watches forever, but not many of those types on here

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Ah, ok. I'd just seen a review of a normal 65 that said it had a screw down crown and had assumed they all did.

I was once looking at a diver with a manual movement and found out it had screw down crown...didn't buy it because I thought that was insane.
    The pic of the case back shown in the cached article, posted earlier in the thread, indicate that it is an automatic, not manual wind.

I prefer the original version.

Not keen on the 5 days, 10 bar.

It reminds me of cheap cassette player in the 80’a. Auto stop , auto rewind. A bit too literal.

Cheers, Shaun

Grand Master
    Plain and simple, what's not to like - apart from (maybe) the price ..
    /vince ..

The original Oris X Hodinkee LE was manual wind with a screw down crown which was one of the reasons I moved it on - I found it to be a bit of a pain and I was worried (maybe unjustifiably) about the wear this would incur.

This is automatic and I think it looks ok but it's expensive - with import tax this will be over £3k. Whilst the movement is of a good specification, I think there are better options available in terms of finishing. I would go for a BB58 but it's not too far away in price from a discounted or used Seamaster 300m either.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I like it. One man’s drab / bland is another’s understated.

The calibre 400 inclusion is probably the most interesting aspect but it’ll probably cost £2500-3000 + import. Given that you can pick up an SW200 standard model for about £1300 with some haggling, It’s not one for me. Though I accept that being a hodinkee LE, this will probably go up in value, or at least retain more.
    Agree with all of this Sir!

Master
    While it looks a little uncharismatic, a 38mm case, no date and a better movement are genuine enthusiast details, not just some skin deep 'hey we gave it a different coloured dial and put our logo on it' changes. So from that point of view they deserve some credit. Very few manufactures seem to care about a 2mm difference in case size, they generally opt for 36mm or 40mm and consider it job done. However often that 2mm difference is what puts me off a watch (being challenged in the wrist size department). It just makes certain watches fractionally larger than I'd wish. Pity that in the photos the dial isn't really selling it, but theoretically it's a slightly greenish tint and not just grey so it probably has to be seen, and it will be interesting to see the official Hodinkee photos which may sell it better.

To call that boring would be too polite.

Craftsman
    That's the most generic watch ever. I've seen white goods with more exciting designs.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Why is the bezel countdown, not standard diver design?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Why is the bezel countdown, not standard diver design?
    Ahh, the Fratello image is different to the Oris X Hodinkee picture (which is conventional diver design)

It's live.....I LOVE this line
    We dropped the date window on the forest green dial – a hue as influenced by the pastoral landscape of Oris's hometown of Hölstein, Switzerland, as it is by the verdant terrain of upstate New York

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Ahh, the Fratello image is different to the Oris X Hodinkee picture (which is conventional diver design)
    Countdown bezel on the Hodinkee site, is that what you mean ?

As someone's said already, very generic design. And what's with the rather phallic hour hand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    38mm does that mean it's a new case then or do Oris already use that case size?

A nice looking watch (and consistent with most Hodinkee LE watches) - however as previously mentioned... not quite nice enough to justify the price (especially secondary market).

Craftsman
    Link to the official announcement here -

https://limited.hodinkee.com/oris65-cal-400/

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    38mm does that mean it's a new case then or do Oris already use that case size?
    They used a 38mm case in the cotton candy range that were released earlier this year.
    https://wornandwound.com/review/revi...-cotton-candy/

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    It's live.....I LOVE this line
    So any place with grass or trees, really.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    They used a 38mm case in the cotton candy range that were released earlier this year.
    https://wornandwound.com/review/revi...-cotton-candy/
    Cheers I was hoping there was a standard version I'd missed but can't find anything else

The lack of a date aperture ensures beautiful symmetry across the dial
    ...and phantom date?

Craftsman

Hodinkee Oris limited edition release today

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    And what's with the rather phallic hour hand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I cannot un-see this now!

Craftsman
    The word boring springs to mind. Its a long way from the exciting release with the funky dial of several years ago.

Craftsman
    i love the oris 65 diver but this looks a bit mehhh..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massive yawn …

Still available this morning. That must be a first for a Hodinkee limited edition. I wonder how sensible it is for a brand like Oris to move towards using an in house movement. Presumably the development of it has led to this increase in price. Whilst the features of the movement are good, the rest of the watch is still an Oris and I'm not sure they can get away with asking 3800 USD, especially in circumstances like this where there is no discounting. I don't dislike the watch and do like Oris in general - if it used an off the shelf movement and was priced like a normal 65 I might have gone for it.

Master
    Super boring

Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    Still available this morning. That must be a first for a Hodinkee limited edition. I wonder how sensible it is for a brand like Oris to move towards using an in house movement. Presumably the development of it has led to this increase in price. Whilst the features of the movement are good, the rest of the watch is still an Oris and I'm not sure they can get away with asking 3800 USD, especially in circumstances like this where there is no discounting. I don't dislike the watch and do like Oris in general - if it used an off the shelf movement and was priced like a normal 65 I might have gone for it.
    I fully agree with this. I like and respect Oris, but they do also have a value ‘ceiling’ in my mind and that might be what’s holding potential purchasers back. It’s unusual for a Hodinkee LE to not fly off the shelf.

OK, I've actually read the article properly now and see that skim reading meant I'd confused the Calibre 110 manual wind with this automatic.

For me, it would be the price point that puts me off. Hodinkee doesn't carry any weight as a special collab partner to increase the value, so it's the actual watch that is the only selling point. Does it have enough over a standard £1000 Oris to make me want to pay 4x the price? No.

The watch also suffers from the same thing that puts me off a lot of Longines vintage inspired pieces...a very flat/uninspiring dial with nothing applied. Maybe this is more true to vintage but looks boring/cheap on a luxury watch.

The good aspects are that 120 hour power reserve and the 10-year warranty. Ever increasing power reserve seems to be a major selling point recently and I can see why...makes an automatic more functional for people who wear more infrequently. I recently bought a Doxa with standard ETA 48 hour power reserve, which these days feels ridiculously short even though it used to be standard.

The countdown bezel is a turn-off...makes me think Hodinkee wanted to do something purely for the sake of making it unique.

Finally, Hodinkee as a company really puts me off. They feel pretentious and shallow. Their marketing featuring a field jacket wearing hipster carrying his canvas bag shot on faux 8mm cine just feels OTT. And predictably, there is the obligatory coffee drinking shot. Must always have a coffee drinking picture...

Last edited by Christian; 20th August 2021 at 09:56.

Master
    I’m going to go against the grain here and say that I like it. Good size, in house movement, no date, a different colour dial that many won’t have. BUT, the price! It seems like you’re paying double the value just for the Hodinkee tie in. When you think about what you else you could buy for the same amount. Not surprised it isn’t sold out.

Craftsman
    For me, it's a pretty drab looking colour scheme and dial and it doesn't look as good as the standard Oris Divers 65. It's a miss for me.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

It’s pretty dull.
    Not surprised it has not sold as quickly as their other releases. The cost increase is daft.