closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Luddite needs HDD help!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Luddite needs HDD help!

So long story short, I broke the screen on my Mac pro, I have taken the HDD out and put it in a caddy, however when I plug it into my other computer (which is a Chromebook) it doesn't show all my files, it just shows some text about reboot and system, I have clicked these but nothing shows, is there something I should be doing or a program I can use or is it just incompatible and do I need to find a Mac to plug it into?

TIA.

Master
    The file format is different so doubt plugging it into a chrome book will work. I’m sure someone will be along soon with a bit of software that will do it but I would have plugged a screen into my Mac and transferred the data to an external drive that’s readable in windows.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Unfortunately the Mac drive will be formatted in a different standard to those used on chrome which renders it unreadable and you’ll really need a Mac to read it and another drive to copy it to if the long term plan is to use the chrome book.

I’ve had a quick check but couldn’t find any evidence of folk successfully mounting one on chrome.

If you are stuck for access to another Mac I’m happy to take a look, I’m near Goring, if thats of any help drop me a pm.

as above , its a completely different file system .
    there is a free program called HFS explorer that might do it but ive never used it so cant vouch for its use

https://www.howtogeek.com/252111/how...-a-windows-pc/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    as above , its a completely different file system .
    there is a free program called HFS explorer that might do it but ive never used it so cant vouch for its use

https://www.howtogeek.com/252111/how...-a-windows-pc/
    Yep gives more options if access to a windows pc is easier than a Mac but won’t work with the chrome book.
    There are also some options for Linux systems in the unlikely event you have one to hand.

If you don’t mind me asking how much data do you need to get off, what type of data is it and how important is it?
    Do you also have a time machine backup?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Firstly thanks for the offer capt.
    I do have a Windows PC I can use, so will try that, not much data to recover, mostly photos from my years offshore and some company files. I haven't heard of time machine backup!
    I will endeavour to do it myself however if I can't expect me on your doorstep with coffee and doughnuts 😁

I recently cloned my old hard drives in my MacBook Pro over to 500gb and 1tb SSDs, quite simple with the right Google search.

Linking your old damaged MBP to an external screen is a good idea but you probably need to set up that up in preferences which will be hard if your old screen is dead.

Basically need another Mac to get everything swapped over, be careful with reformatting advice, it’s easy to wipe your old drive clean and lose everything..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Firstly thanks for the offer capt.
    I do have a Windows PC I can use, so will try that, not much data to recover, mostly photos from my years offshore and some company files. I haven't heard of time machine backup!
    I will endeavour to do it myself however if I can't expect me on your doorstep with coffee and doughnuts 
    The first option on pugsters link looks the safest as it won’t allow write access to the old drive but if your unsure at all just give me a shout as you’ve only got the one copy of that data now.