closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Killing the planet?

Master

Killing the planet?

So this is what a planet looks like when it is being killed! Oh and there is a global pandemic happening also!

And the solution is

There isn't one

That time has passed,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    The planet will be fine. It won't care much about its status as being habitable for one of the primate species.

The arrogance to think we have a profound influence on this planet is laughable. We are just be a mere blip.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    The arrogance to think we have a profound influence on this planet is laughable. We are just be a mere blip.
    WT absolute F?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

As the polar icecap melts at the fastest rate in history!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    As the polar icecap melts at the fastest rate in history!
    A large meteor, volcanic eruptions or solar flare has a “profound” influence on this planet. Our influence will merely effect ourselves long term, and like all parasites, be our demise. If we were extinct for say a mere 1000 years from now, would the planet be reeling from our presence?

The phrase Killing the planet is just a headline grabber, what we’re actually doing is making the environment less and less consistent for human existence long term.
    The fate of this planet will, if we believe Prof Cox, come to an end in several billion years time, on a Thursday around 8am.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

This is an interesting read.

http://worldwithoutus.com/about_book.html
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    What does the image depict? I’m looking on my tablet and all I can see is a map of the world and a bunch of dots.

Blog Entries
    What are the dots, MacDonalds?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

It's FlightRadar, and the dots are aircraft.

Craftsman
    The planet did ok with a different climate before humans.....I'm sure it would still be ok after we are gone too.

Well we do have a profound influence at least on the atmosphere that's surrounding it.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

Very interesting and provocative concept. Reminds me of: if a tree falls, does it make a sound...if there's no one to hear it?

Likewise, would "the earth" still exist if there was no intelligence left to ponder it?

The problem with environmental degradation is that it is directly caused by humans living the lives they have now. Reducing impact and net zero both requires dramatic changes to the lives of billions of people, many of which we will want to try to believe are unnecessary because they are uncomfortable, and it will also require many trillions of dollars to transition. And even then arguably the population of the earth will need to grow more slowly. In general people do not wish to accept these realities, and because the damage is cumulative and will be suffered more in the future, the current human population does not feel the full benefit but can see all the present costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Well we do have a profound influence at least on the atmosphere that's surrounding it.
    Im not denying our influence on the environment, I’m in an industry that practically rapes the landmass, whether for crops, mining, forestation etc. Combine this with emissions and maybe with have had an influence, although the planet has been thawing out for the past 10,000 years at a fast rate.

The planet won’t be destroyed by us, but I’m 100% sure we will destroy ourselves, and when we do the natural environments will sigh a deep breath of relief and happily bounce back into life.

We are a parasite, and we are becoming too many. The natural equation always gives the same answer in these circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Very interesting and provocative concept. Reminds me of: if a tree falls, does it make a sound...if there's no one to hear it?

Likewise, would "the earth" still exist if there was no intelligence left to ponder it?
    So, the answer is YES to both?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

looks interesting- I’ve just ordered a copy from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    What are the dots, MacDonalds?
    😂😂

The planet itself will survive without us of course, but what about all the species we take down with us?

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    The planet itself will survive without us of course, but what about all the species we take down with us?

They only matter to us. New ones will evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    They only matter to us. New ones will evolve.
    So basically the ecosystems and species we destroy now won't matter in the long run?

Last edited by Ruggertech; 19th August 2021 at 11:24.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The problem with environmental degradation is that it is directly caused by humans living the lives they have now. Reducing impact and net zero both requires dramatic changes to the lives of billions of people, many of which we will want to try to believe are unnecessary because they are uncomfortable, and it will also require many trillions of dollars to transition. And even then arguably the population of the earth will need to grow more slowly. In general people do not wish to accept these realities, and because the damage is cumulative and will be suffered more in the future, the current human population does not feel the full benefit but can see all the present costs.
    Ah, the good old days of 'Pseuds Corner'!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    It's FlightRadar, and the dots are aircraft.
    No wonder it's been windy here the past few days!

So basically the ecosystems and species we destroy now won't matter in the long run?

Andromeda is on it's way. Nothing here will matter in the long run! (not that we'll even make it that far).

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Andromeda is on it's way. Nothing here will matter in the long run! (not that we'll even make it that far).
    True..

If we're not here no. Do dinosaurs care they're extinct?

They'll be different ecosystems and species.

If we're not here no. Do dinosaurs care they're extinct?

They'll be different ecosystems and species.
    Yes, strange blind slimey creatures, slithering in the mud we leave.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    What does the image depict? I’m looking on my tablet and all I can see is a map of the world and a bunch of dots.
    Yeah i have no idea lol

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Yeah i have no idea lol
    Aircraft flights

You'd obviously like a world full of cuddly bunnies, koalas and such like but it really doesn't matter what they are, if anything.

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK

Killing the planet?

I think folks are entirely right that in terms of Geological time then the damage we have wrought, and our subsequent demise, will have little impact in, let’s say, half a billion years. There have been multiple mass extinctions and even with them we got Dinosaurs, Lions, Mammoths and indeed,fluffy bunnies. Without mass extinctions I doubt we would have had all of those over the eons. So this mass extinction will undoubtedly lead to new and interesting species and ecosystems. We will have altered the course of that evolution, as did that asteroid that ended the dinosaurs, but it doesn’t mean the future species are devalued or in any way more likely to be mud slugs rather than Koalas.

But one thing we will indelibly leave on the world is in the fossil record as the most important marker fossil, I suspect, ever to exist on this earth. For a marker fossil you need a relatively short existence and we fit that bill, plus widespread geographic presence (tick). The entire depositional areas capturing sediment today will be thick with our imprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chrisjones3; 20th August 2021 at 00:00.

You'd obviously like a world full of cuddly bunnies, koalas and such like but it really doesn't matter what they are, if anything.
    A truly ridiculous statement.

Stupid post taking a snapshot of FR24. Not even sure what the OP is trying to suggest? Prevent all global movement forever? Aviation accounts for about 5% of global warming. Assume OP has never had anything to do with a Chinese product (the nation that contributes 30% of the worlds pollution) that has been flown over by an aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    What stars maketh, they too taketh away!
    Last edited by Chinnock; 19th August 2021 at 16:21.

Master
    Surely the two biggest influences on Climate Change are population growth and increasing wealth.

I genuinely find it strange that neither of these are discussed by climate activists.

After that it has to be greed. Living in a 5 bedroom house when 3 would suffice, foreign holidays, multiple cars et

And the fourth has to be hypocrisy, being told to not live in 5 bedroom house, not go on foreign holidays and buy new cars by someone whom lives in a Hollywood mansion, charters private jets and has endless cars. I really feel the cult of celebrity does more harm than good, people do not listen.

Some spectacularly non-sensical views on offer here.
    The simple fact is that the 200 odd years since industrialisation started have engendered the greatest climate change our species has witnessed.
    And if it remains unchecked, we can kiss goodbye to livable conditions for the majority of our population withing very few generations, single figures.
    And it is avoidable.
    And we can all do something about it, don't let some fool try to persuade you that helping doesn't help. It does.
    And there are ways of doing it that do not involve having to live like a hermit on turnips and knitted lentils.

This generation is the first that knows the extent of the problem, and knows at least some of the solution. It is encumbent on us to try and get to it.

A truly ridiculous statement.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Totally agree with everything you say, especially this bit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The simple fact is that the 200 odd years since industrialisation started have engendered the greatest climate change our species has witnessed.
    And if it remains unchecked, we can kiss goodbye to livable conditions for the majority of our population withing very few generations, single figures.
    And it is avoidable.
    And we can all do something about it, don't let some fool try to persuade you that helping doesn't help. It does.
    And there are ways of doing it that do not involve having to live like a hermit on turnips and knitted lentils.

This generation is the first that knows the extent of the problem, and knows at least some of the solution. It is encumbent on us to try and get to it.
    Spot on. Our choices, our world. I would prefer to live in a bit without the yellow dots on the Flightradar map, so long as the only dots (planes) were the essential ones. How they bring crap half way around the planet on planes and are able to sell it just amazes me!

Humans by nature are a rapacious bunch, we can’t help ourselves, if new tech is put in front of us we have to have it, its what we do. You only have to look at the various posts on here to see it in its full glory...we’re all bloody guilty for which I include myself.
    Go back thousands of years and our ancestors were happy if they had a carcass to eat and roof over their head, although we don’t see it now it’s all that really matters. Hang on no, what really matters is having the latest iPhone, Xbox, insert any mass produced electrical thingy that is so reliant on all the things that are wrecking our environment. Greed is the simply the biggest issue, big Corps looking to flog and ram down our throats the next iPhone when actually your iPhone 8 is still going strong. Why make and be happy with a 2 billion dollars profit a year when we could bring out the iPhone XXXX and make 20 billion a year?
    The world, or should I say the human population is destined to fail well before it’s full potential and theres stuff all we’re going to do about it.
    The world however will continue to spit out tidal waves, hot summers, severe winters until we’ve all buggered off and the it'll have finally cleansed itself.

Master
    It's a question of perspective. If you think of the planet's purpose as a habitat for humans, then we're making a spectacular negative difference. But in the bigger picture we've only been here for a fleeting moment compared to its lifespan, and if we manage to kill ourselves, in another fleeting moment of geological time it'll be as if we never existed. Far more violent things have happened to Earth than humanity.