closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RSC - not what it used to be

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    The 32 calibre has had major teething problems with lots of warranty repairs. We do 2 or 3 every week basically. Once fixed they usually run well but still has a long runway before proving itself like 3135 has.
    Thanks 744ER. Do you know what the problem and therefore fix typically is?

Quote Originally Posted by JNH View Post
    I'm not sure if it's even worth trying to keep a 16710 completely original but I'll take the watch back and consider my options for now.
    What makes you say this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an FYI, dropped off a watch beginning of August, accepted their quote on the 11th, and estimated completion as of today is 29th October, a good 10 weeks - guess they are busy now. On the flip side I get to really bond with my Grand Seiko :)

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    This type of thread (and not just on watch fora) tend to attract mainly the negative reactions as they are the people that have had negative experiences, whereas for the vast majority, it is a positive experience. That's my experience anyway!
    Sure.
    Sent my stainless steel Daytona in for a service. They sent back a serviced Platona with baguette markers.

But for real why do they need a watch for 3 months. Can they really not book a slot and you bring it in when there is availability? Doesn’t need to be perfect just in time, +/- 1 week should be a very easy logistic challenge to solve.

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    But for real why do they need a watch for 3 months. Can they really not book a slot and you bring it in when there is availability? Doesn’t need to be perfect just in time, +/- 1 week should be a very easy logistic challenge to solve.
    This is true.
    I mean realistically how long is the watch actually stripped and on the bench?
    Surely the movement service doesn’t take long?
    I know that they were previously not able to service sports models in London as the lapping machines were in Kent and they used to send an unmarked van between the two sites to transport the watches.

Not sure if that is still the case, I’m talking around 10 years ago when the average watch was probably sub £3k lol.

As an FYI, dropped off a watch beginning of August, accepted their quote on the 11th, and estimated completion as of today is 29th October, a good 10 weeks - guess they are busy now. On the flip side I get to really bond with my Grand Seiko :)
    My daughter dropped her DJ at the local AD, around the same time and has been quoted a similar duration.

Good idea but there should be a facility to pay extra for priority servicing.

Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    This is true.
    I mean realistically how long is the watch actually stripped and on the bench?
    Surely the movement service doesn’t take long?
    I know that they were previously not able to service sports models in London as the lapping machines were in Kent and they used to send an unmarked van between the two sites to transport the watches.

Not sure if that is still the case, I’m talking around 10 years ago when the average watch was probably sub £3k lol.

There has to be lashings of BS sloshing around to convince someone their mass produced £8k + steel watch takes weeks of tinkering by elves to get its little heart beating properly. Somehow poor customer service adds to the whole mystique. You’ve got to hand it to them really, what a business!!

Master
    If they were to do that they'd need to take a non-refundable deposit upon booking, otherwise they're just giving you three months to look into alternatives and the last thing they'd want is to be contacting customers and being met with silence.

Master
    I received my 116610LV back from the RSC last month after a fairly reasonable 7 week wait. At first it looked like they’d done a great job - looked like new and seemed to be running +/- 0 seconds.

But on a couple of occasions I’ve picked it up off the bedside table in the morning and it’s been 3 to 5 minutes out. Randomly the seconds have still been bang on. I put it down to me being stupid and setting the wrong time, although I’ve never ever done that before.

Picked it up this morning and again it’s lost 4 minutes overnight with the seconds being bang on. What on Earth is going on there?

I think they control the parts supply very strictly but the actual servicing seems certainly no better than independents

Master
    What is going on there is pretty shoddy servicing IMHO.
    Send it back to Rolex and ask for Q.C. to investigate.....& good luck, you will never get an honest answer.
    Speaking from experience on two occasions, many years ago.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using Tapatalk

Oh dear, disappointing

- - - Updated - - -

Oh dear, disappointing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    I received my 116610LV back from the RSC last month after a fairly reasonable 7 week wait. At first it looked like they’d done a great job - looked like new and seemed to be running +/- 0 seconds.

But on a couple of occasions I’ve picked it up off the bedside table in the morning and it’s been 3 to 5 minutes out. Randomly the seconds have still been bang on. I put it down to me being stupid and setting the wrong time, although I’ve never ever done that before.

Picked it up this morning and again it’s lost 4 minutes overnight with the seconds being bang on. What on Earth is going on there?
    Possible magnetism? Any chargers etc on your bedside table by any chance containing strong electro-magnets?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Possible magnetism? Any chargers etc on your bedside table by any chance containing strong electro-magnets?
    Unlikely. Magnetised movements tend to run fast.

Just another example of how ordinary Rolex watches really are.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Unlikely. Magnetised movements tend to run fast.

Just another example of how ordinary Rolex watches really are.
    it was a long shot. I was wondering if there was anything affecting the watch adversely on the side board specifically
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post

If the seconds hand is telling correct time I hardly think that's random behaviour!

Accepting an error of +/- 2 secs that's still a 1 in 15 chance so the watch is defying the odds.......because the movement is running to correct time!

Think about it; the fact that the hr and minute hands aren't moving correctly is the problem, and that suggests a cannon pinion issue. If the seconds hand was in a different position each morning (random behaviour) that would be different, but the fact that its consistent suggests otherwise. Clearly, the watch needs to go back but be sure to provide as much info as you can and I suggest you word this as clearly as possible, provided it gets passed on to the monkey who works on the watch it should prove helpful. I`m willing to bet that this watch will appear to be running OK on a timegrapher and its conceivable that whoever inspects it will miss the fault, that's why you need to make it clear, write it down for them to see.

How they manage to send a watch out with a problem like this amazes me,it really does. With the high service prices and the restrictions on parts supply they're treating customers like mugs. Rolex seem to have a policy to drive the accredited independents out of business too, so owners will be left with no option but to suck up the service costs, the long delays, and the patchy performance. Are they really worth owning?........nowadays I`m not so sure.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Doesn't explain the disparity between minute hand and seconds hand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If the seconds hand is telling correct time I hardly think that's random behaviour!

Accepting an error of +/- 2 secs that's still a 1 in 15 chance so the watch is defying the odds.......because the movement is running to correct time!

Think about it; the fact that the hr and minute hands aren't moving correctly is the problem, and that suggests a cannon pinion issue. If the seconds hand was in a different position each morning (random behaviour) that would be different, but the fact that its consistent suggests otherwise. Clearly, the watch needs to go back but be sure to provide as much info as you can and I suggest you word this as clearly as possible, provided it gets passed on to the monkey who works on the watch it should prove helpful. I`m willing to bet that this watch will appear to be running OK on a timegrapher and its conceivable that whoever inspects it will miss the fault, that's why you need to make it clear, write it down for them to see.

How they manage to send a watch out with a problem like this amazes me,it really does. With the high service prices and the restrictions on parts supply they're treating customers like mugs. Rolex seem to have a policy to drive the accredited independents out of business too, so owners will be left with no option but to suck up the service costs, the long delays, and the patchy performance. Are they really worth owning?........nowadays I`m not so sure.
    I should’ve used ‘weirdly’ rather than ‘randomly’ to be clearer, but yes I think you’ve summed it up there. An hour and minute hand issue rather than a running issue. There’s no magnetic interference anywhere on the bedside table and it’s done it while I was away from home anyway.

Just checked this morning and, 24 hours since resetting, it’s absolutely bang on time - not a single second lost or gained. Trying to replicate this fault is proving very difficult but I’m noting how I’m laying it down each night, last night it was on its side on the crown but will try flat on its back tonight.

It would be nice if it’s just me that’s been setting it incorrectly, but it’s unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    What makes you say this?

Sorry I missed this. I mean that I am genuinely not sure what impact it might have to its value (I know to an older watch it will have a huge impact) and I didn't want to make an uninformed decision that I might regret so I cancelled the work and took the watch back for now. I was just being cautious and wasn't sure if it was overly so or not.

Master
    Four times they have now sent quotations for work to the wrong company, despite having been told about each failure and their promises not to do it again. It is careless, inefficient, probably a GDPR failure and very irritating for both the unintended recipient and us.

Some great people at RUK still, but they certainly have some problems.

Grand Master
    [QUOTE=simonj;5856051

It would be nice if it’s just me that’s been setting it incorrectly, but it’s unlikely.[/QUOTE]

I think you need to check the watch rigorously to eliminate this. Keep the watch running for several days and check the performance against a reliable source, an analogue quartz watch is ideal because you can see the relationship between the minute hands easily on both. If it runs OK for 10 days you haven’t got a fault.
    When you set the watch turn the hands anti- clockwise at the point where you set the minute hand, this will eliminate the considerable backlash in the canon pinion and setting wheel and shoukd enable the minute hand to be synchronised correctly.

The fault you describe is extremely unusual, I’ve only seen it on old and very worn movements.