closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Countach

New Countach

Used to love the original.

It still reminds me of the toy version I had.

Awesome!
    Its funny because when I was at Silverstone classic recently I was admiring the Lambo stand and they had a collection of Countach to mark an anniversary including Harry Metcalff’s car, all the new cars like the Aventador, Gallardo started to look like they had reached their end as in design and I said to a mate, Lamborghini need to come up with something new, never thought of this though, wonder if it will be V12??

^5000S in black.

I think I've read somewhere already it will be a V12, but with some electrical assistance. Based like that of the powertrain on the Sian.

Master
    V12
    112 made - all sold out and cost was over £2m each!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I think I've read somewhere already it will be a V12, but with some electrical assistance. Based like that of the powertrain on the Sian.
    Yep, hybrid V12 putting out 800bhp. $2.6m.

Launched at Quail so now lots of YouTube vids out (including Hoovie, who was on the Countach drive. Lots broke down!)

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Awesome!
    Its funny because when I was at Silverstone classic recently I was admiring the Lambo stand and they had a collection of Countach to mark an anniversary including Harry Metcalff’s car, all the new cars like the Aventador, Gallardo started to look like they had reached their end as in design and I said to a mate, Lamborghini need to come up with something new, never thought of this though, wonder if it will be V12??

I saw the thread title and was going to chime in that my ex-boss has a red countach amongst a few other classics which he races, and then you've gone and posted a photo of it (B14SST) :D

Master
    Is it weird that on this day and age this incarnation looks a bit tame to me? Honestly it doesn't set my pulse racing like the original did - this reminds me far more of the Diablo profile.

Someone has had a stab at redesigning, with lower headlights and the all important rear wing. I like his tweaks far more than the current design.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...owxGxwyD5r8LT9

Is still a hell of a machine, I just don't feel like it has enough Countach DNA.

Master
    Pure filth! I want one.

The “New” Countach is nothing but a Sian.

And the Sian is nothing but an Aventador with the addition of a mini-battery.

New Diablo next…

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    ^5000S in black.
    Cant beat that back end with those tyres..

Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    I saw the thread title and was going to chime in that my ex-boss has a red countach amongst a few other classics which he races, and then you've gone and posted a photo of it (B14SST) :D
    Think the Countach world is quite small but quite a coincidence, another pic of your ex bosses car -

Iconic, but way too ostentatious for my tastes.

I had the Testerossa and 959 on my bedroom wall. 😁

It’s staggering that a £2 million car can sell so easily these days.

By all accounts the original was a complete dog to drive, so I hope they’ve improved it somewhat!
    So clever my foot fell off.

Journeyman
    They should have used a new name imo. This is not a Countach, the original Countach was the car pasted below and the car in the Gum Ball rally.

One of the finest looking cars ever, however, not easy to drive by all opinions (not mine). Technically very advanced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Cant beat that back end with those tyres..

Think the Countach world is quite small but quite a coincidence, another pic of your ex bosses car -

Never forget following a Diablo on the A59 Preston to Ribchester. Whilst I was marvelling at the width of it , it successfully wiped out a plastic bollard as it mounted a traffic island! Priceless.

Sometime later I stopped to assist a lady in a normal car that had mounted the same island and flatted both tyres. Other than offering consolation, there was nothing to be done except wait for the tow truck.

Those islands must have cost motorists a few bob over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Iconic, but way too ostentatious for my tastes.

I had the Testerossa and 959 on my bedroom wall.
    Great choice. White Miami Vice or red Athena Testarossa?

I progressed to the 959 in the late 80s.

Before that, it was Miura, Countach, Cobra and Pantera all the way.

If I had to make the choice today (*voice at the back* "What, instead of your Honda Civic?") then I would probably even go Jalpa before 959. I'm fairly sure that makes me ineligible for the GRRC a heretic.

The new one will go to collectors, speculators and investment bros - sound familiar on a watch forum?

This thread makes interesting reading - https://twitter.com/midnightdorifto/...55792231292929

That user is a pro-follow if you're interested in cars of any kind, by the way.

Master

New Countach

I had the pleasure of driving both my poster cars, Anniversary Countach a few years back, most recently done a couple of hundred miles in a low mileage Testarossa-

They say you should never meet your heroes, absolutely right! Countach is a pig of a car to drive, one of the worst driving positions known to man, visibility non existent. Testerossa not much better but still two of the best looking cars ever produced in my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Rob153; 18th August 2021 at 22:49.

5000QV was my mid-80s bedroom poster (and the 288GTO…)

Love the fact it’s very like the original, just beefed up.

Then I saw the price!

There's only one Countach...and it ain't this boring design. You couldn't come up with a more generic body if you tried.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    There's only one Countach...and it ain't this boring design. You couldn't come up with a more generic body if you tried.

Really? IMHO it's a great looking thing and it was the poster car when I was at university in the 80s. I have been fortunate enough to drive a couple of Countachs and was driven in one of them by the owner at the highest speed I've ever been on a public road........at 2am. I had always promised myself the large Lamborghini when younger but since being in a position to own one I'm not interested. That's not a comment on Lamborghini but out-and-out sports cars/super cars in general and I've owned several TVRs and a Ferrari in the past. I drive an RS6 (my third) and far prefer this type of vehicle now. I came close to buying a Lamborghini Urus a year or so ago but the RS6 won out.

But this design pictured in white is NOT the car in your 1980s poster!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post

I agree, it’s very generic with just a nod to the original car at the rear end.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    5000QV was my mid-80s bedroom poster (and the 288GTO…)

Love the fact it’s very like the original, just beefed up.

Then I saw the price!
    Ah yes, the 288GTO - still probably the most beautiful Ferrari of the modern era in my opinion.

It just got everything right.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Looks good but we're unlikely to see any on the road at that crazy price. They will all go into collections where they'll sit alongside some special edition Ferrari's, McLaren's and Porsches.

If it was me, and I was going to do that, I'd rather buy an original rather than the modern car carrying the same name. Still, if you've got £200m burning a hole in your pocket, why not?

Ah yes, the 288GTO - still probably the most beautiful Ferrari of the modern era in my opinion.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but from the side the 288GTO just looks too long in the wheelbase to me.

Nice otherwise, but it's really just a stretched turbo 308 GTB.

This 'Countach' is as pointless as that '935' Porsche created a couple of years ago.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Apart from the wing mirrors. They have always really stuck out (baddum tish!) for me.

Probably have looked better like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_Singh View Post
    They should have used a new name imo. This is not a Countach, the original Countach was the car pasted below and the car in the Gum Ball rally.

One of the finest looking cars ever, however, not easy to drive by all opinions (not mine). Technically very advanced.

This opening scene in the Cannonball Run used to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and give me shivers when I was a kid. Loved that film. The sound of that V12 Countach accelerating away from the Tran-Am police car was sublime.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    This opening scene in the Cannonball Run used to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and give me shivers when I was a kid. Loved that film. The sound of that V12 Countach accelerating away from the Tran-Am police car was sublime.

Did the sequel start with a Lambo too? I have half a recollection of a red countach going through a car wash and coming out white, thus fooling the pursuing cops (because obviously in the middle of the desert you can't go more than a couple of miles without stumbling across one). Haha. Classic rubbish 80s movies. I'd watch that right now.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Did the sequel start with a Lambo too? I have half a recollection of a red countach going through a car wash and coming out white, thus fooling the pursuing cops (because obviously in the middle of the desert you can't go more than a couple of miles without stumbling across one). Haha. Classic rubbish 80s movies. I'd watch that right now.
    I cannot remember the second one, it must’ve been a worse film than the first; but I’m with you, its still likely better than 99% of the dross on TV today.

Home run. The only element that faired poorly in the visual to-and-fro with the original is the wheels, but the rest is smashing.