closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a boat.

Master
    Was out last year on a friends gin palace. I winced at how much diesel it took to fill the tanks & how quickly we managed to use it during the course of a day just cruising about sandbanks area. Was truly eye watering.

It has since been sold & he is firmly in the ‘never again’ camp, which is a shame as enjoyed our annual trip on it.

I would love a small sailing boat but reality is I won’t get the time to use it. Settle for the Sandals catamarans on holiday instead. Flipped one spectacularly last holiday, I got lots of air & they are a nightmare to get back up vs a topper with dagger board.

We have a huge lake & sailing place just off the M4 near us, guessing the fact I’ve not been there suggests other priorities. Plus the wife is not interested, so that’s that!

Good luck OP in whatever you decide.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    As has been said above, just do holiday rentals. A boat is a depreciating asset, so you're only ever going to lose money in a timeshare-like deal.
    5 years ago my cousin bought a boat for £35k he’s had it moored at Porthmadog and used it a hell of a lot, he recently sold it for £52k

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    5 years ago my cousin bought a boat for £35k he’s had it moored at Porthmadog and used it a hell of a lot, he recently sold it for £52k
    Welcome back.

How are you doing?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Welcome back.

How are you doing?
    Thanks……Slowly, on the mend.

Craftsman
    I bought one earlier this year. Me and a friend split the cost and share it. It’s a 19ft Eolo open boat with a Yamaha 115hp outboard. They are costly to run but it’s easier split two ways.

We live in Malta and boating is hugely popular here plus we get the good weather so it’s fun for the kids dropping anchor in one of the local bays and letting them jump in the sea. We also have a SUP so get to do a bit of exploring in places that can’t be reached by road or on foot. It also makes a good platform for the kids to play on when we drop anchor.

I know I’ll lose money on it but we got it for less than it was worth and second hand boats depreciate less over here (as do cars) so touch wood we’ll get a reasonable price when we come to sell.

Blog Entries
    I learned to sail when I was 5 or perhaps 6 y/old. My parents had a yacht and member of a posh yacht club*) and my father was a maritime engineer who -indeed- built ships) and when he got too old to sail, he didn't ask me if I wanted the boat. He simply said: "I don't want to tie a brick in the shape of a boat around your neck and throw you in the water!" At that time it puzzled me. Now, almost 60 yrs after I learned to sail, I can safely say that he was right. It's been said: the best boat is someone else's boat.

*) When my oldest started winning regattas around the age of 12, 13 in his optimist and later in the laser, I was approached by members of that very yacht club asking if I would consider a membership "... like your father had. In your case, the balloting committee will agree right away [...]."
    Last edited by thieuster; 18th August 2021 at 19:55.

A friend from back in my childhood apparently had a nice pleasure cruiser moored at the canal wharfe here in Sheffield, He had some enemies and his boat ended up affire and at the bottom of the wharfe, The only think he salvaged was a brass porthole!!

On a brighter note, I have every single issue of the DeAgostini mag with all the parts (Four bag for life full of them!) to make this beauty, it's a metre long!

I should think about getting it down and build it before I peg it!!

John

Craftsman
    Lot's of negatives on this thread OP and there is no denying that boating is expensive, but so is collecting watches.

My experience has been nothing but good, i'm most happy when out on the water in any form.
    Life is too short to be sting on the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post

Some downsides, you are restricted to the same patch of water and you could book your day on the water only to find that the weather is bad and you can't go out. With the boats on offer you won't want to be out in a F3-F4 wind, it will be too uncomfortable but that is boating in the UK. This is why we are looking for a bigger boat with a wheel house, with an open boat we were too restricted to when we could get out. My cost per mile over the year was unbelievable!

Can I ask what sort of boat is unhappy in a 3?

It would take a very large car tank for that (517ltr/h = 129ltr in 15 minutes).

Biggest car tank I ever had was close to 100ltr (Audi Q7), but 60-70ltr much more typical.
    We had an ML350 with the optional, larger, 120litre tank.

It needed it too, didn’t keep it long.

Buying a boat.

Good to hear, back on the bikes ASAP?
    Last edited by Dave+63; 19th August 2021 at 08:53.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Can I ask what sort of boat is unhappy in a 3?
    I said 3-4 which is 10-18knts. It's not about the wind, it's the sea state it causes.
    A 14` flattish bottom boat will feel uncomfortable in 12knts of wind, my old 18`centre console with a fairly deep V slammed in 15knts. Wind over tide will probably mean white horses at 14/15knts.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    On a brighter note, I have every single issue of the DeAgostini mag with all the parts (Four bag for life full of them!) to make this beauty, it's a metre long
    DeAgostini magazines? The ones that were 99p for the first edition and like 6.99 for every copy after that with a tiny piece of the model.

Would have been cheaper to buy Roman Abramovic’s old boat!!

I live by the sea, have a lovely harbour and marina just down the road but I’m not tempted in the slightest to own a boat, freshwater boating is more appealing as seawater just eats everything.

Would a RIB be a realistic ownership proposition?

Thinking of:

-outlay
    -depreciation / resale
    -hassle
    -towing
    -maintenance

Craftsman
    Lot's of negatives on this thread OP and there is no denying that boating is expensive, but so is collecting watches.

My experience has been nothing but good, i'm most happy when out on the water in any form.
    Very true, also anything to do with speed costs. If it's something you want to enjoy you have to be prepared and go in with eyes wide open. Its new to me going out on the water so maybe a novelty but as said its a great feeling when out there on the waves

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post

Thinking of:

-outlay
    -depreciation / resale
    -hassle
    -towing
    -maintenance
    I've been doing some research and also speaking to people with both ribs and traditional boats, general consensus is that most of Alphas comments tick peoples boxes (sea/coastal environment)

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    I've been doing some research and also speaking to people with both ribs and traditional boats, general consensus is that most of Alphas comments tick peoples boxes (sea/coastal environment)
    Tick them in a good way or a bad one?

You can avoid the hassle of towing by leaving your boat in a yard or a dry stack. Obviously, there are costs, but my dive club has found it encourages use more than towing did.

Everything else will cost you money like any boat, don't forget insurance in there as well, it's not that cheap.

A fast RHIB will guzzle fuel like any fast boat.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

You can avoid the hassle of towing by leaving your boat in a yard or a dry stack. Obviously, there are costs, but my dive club has found it encourages use more than towing did.

Everything else will cost you money like any boat, don't forget insurance in there as well, it's not that cheap.

M
    Seems ribs tick the good boxes from my experience but like you say either boat is going to cost money. I suppose I'm going to be lucky in that our caravan site has it's own slipway with 24/7 access but nonetheless am under no illusion, I will be spending money on our new hobby

I grew up in Trinidad and family members always had boats, the costs were massive. But since the weather is nice all year round the boats got used most weekends for fishing, water skiing, trips to Tobago, diving etc. Plus at the time all my family had teenage kids we all made the most of it.

A boat in the UK personally seems like a huge waste to me, the weather is not predictable and you realistically can't use if for half the year, just seems a massive expense with limited use.

My former boss had a big yacht out in Mallorca and the mooring fees annually were eye watering. Plus now with Brexit you cant leave a boat in a Euro zone like before.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    If were comparing fast cars to boats then I dont think there is any comparison, most boat engines will make a V8/V12 road car look like a Tesla, servicing is generally far cheaper unless we are talking Ferrari and insurance is quite reasonable on cars.

I'm not knocking boats as they are great fun but the drag of water sucks fuel and salt eats everything to combine very expensive ownership costs, bad enough taking a car out on salted roads!

Craftsman
    Very true, also anything to do with speed costs. If it's something you want to enjoy you have to be prepared and go in with eyes wide open. Its new to me going out on the water so maybe a novelty but as said its a great feeling when out there on the waves
    Good luck to you.
    Do your RYA PB2 coarse, it will give you loads of confidence and if you ask, some instructors will include an ICC certificate which will help if you want to hire boats abroad.
    Don't forget the safety gear.

Thinking of:

-outlay
    -depreciation / resale
    -hassle
    -towing
    -maintenance
    I'm biased towards RIB's, having owned a number of the years but IMO they're a good 'all-rounder' on the water: easier to learn, to handle, and maintain.

Have a look at https://www.rib.net/forum/ which is a very comprehensive forum for RIB's.

If you'd like a ride in one let me know.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

well done enoch cousin :)
    i was under the impression the only boats that made a profit were the ones running cocaine from columbia.

Good luck to you.
    Do your RYA PB2 coarse, it will give you loads of confidence and if you ask, some instructors will include an ICC certificate which will help if you want to hire boats abroad.
    Don't forget the safety gear.
    I think most places doing RYA PB2 will include the ICC (and most do the VHF qualification with it as well, although you need to go back for that on a separate visit)

RHIBs are good fun and relatively cheap to buy and run. More fun, though, to drive than to be a passenger on, I'd say, so the family might not enjoy it as much as a small cabin cruiser.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

My son bought this boat in 2020 and because of Covid I have still not been able to go out on it.

Cheers,
    Neil.

My BIL has had boats for 20 years and he can afford them. He had several Ferretti motor yachts from 53feet to 82feet. The first was like a £700k posh caravan. The 82 more like a luxury apartment

Allow for 10% of the purchase price in annual maintenance and running costs. That is for a few weeks summer use and some odd weekends. You can’t do it on the cheap

He eventually got into sailing and catamarans. His recent pick up is in the photo.

My experience of stays on these is that it was great fun as long as someone else paying the bills.

Every boat in the port is for sale. The guy on the up sees a bigger model and trades up. The guy on his way down is usually a desperate seller

It’s a bit of a mad world. I’ve recently chatted a friend out of getting one. When you put under the microscope how much you will actually be able to use it and when those times collide with good weather you will see that it’s a sure way to unhappiness.

Having said that I see young families on modest sailing boats at the Coniston Yacht Club having a great time. I always suspect these are people who have had parents that sailed and it’s a skill and world they know well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    RIBS and open top day runner motorboats always look cool when on shore, but after being on a few around the globe with customers who own boats, I must say I was underwhelmed. Too noisy, to bumpy, to boring too soon.

But a sailing vacation with a rental boat in Croatia with a group of friends during spring our autum is such a cheap and great vacation. Its amazing how many extremely posh and one or two year old boats one can rent for a very small sum.
    Last edited by bmwrover; 19th August 2021 at 13:25.

Seems ribs tick the good boxes from my experience but like you say either boat is going to cost money. I suppose I'm going to be lucky in that our caravan site has it's own slipway with 24/7 access but nonetheless am under no illusion, I will be spending money on our new hobby
    Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I'm biased towards RIB's, having owned a number of the years but IMO they're a good 'all-rounder' on the water: easier to learn, to handle, and maintain.

Have a look at https://www.rib.net/forum/ which is a very comprehensive forum for RIB's.

If you'd like a ride in one let me know.

R
    Thanks R, that's a great link - will brush up on my knowledge. And also a very kind offer.

I have been hiring a cruiser on the Norfolk Broads every year for 1-4 weeks since 1966, off for another 10 days very soon and got 4 weeks booked for 2022.

We have looked into buying a boat a few times as have our kids who boat on the Broads at least once a year either with us or on there own.

But having spoken to many owners we still hire rather than buy because of all the problems of finding good moorings, maintenance etc, less hassle and cost.

I have only spoke to one guy over the years who found owning his own boat good (obviously there are others I havent spoke too) him and his wife spent six months a year on it and there kids took over there house down in London for the six months.

Its surprising when cruising how many neglected boats you see moored up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Its surprising when cruising how many neglected boats you see moored up.
    One thing that boat-owner newbies don't seem to understand is that boats need maintenance. I think they see their new acquisition as being similar to their car, insofar as it only needs attention on a scheduled service and can just be left alone otherwise. Big mistake.
    I've always owned boats that can be trailered (even if moored for convenience in the summer months) which allows them to be maintained far more easily on land, either shore-side or elsewhere.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Just reviving this thread, took the plunge and we went for an Aluminium boat instead of a Rib, Scandinavian brand which seems very well made and has attracted numerous complements on its build quality

Power boat level 2 in place but just taking things easy whilst we get our sea legs, it can be a bit nervy in a 1m swell weather changed the other day so quickly, lots to learn but think there’s going to be some fun days ahead

Also amazed how accumulating all the safety gear and bits and pieces needed adds up quite fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    If it "flies, floats or fu**s"- rent it.
    I have seven boats which is fewer than when I was in my 20's. I also have a flying machine. All owned, renting is a mugs game.

I thought boats were ships and subs were boats.
    One of the boats is an Enigma, so it may be regarded as a sub.

The boats are:
    Wavesport Habitat 80
    Wavesport Project X 56
    Two Dagger Mambas
    Eurokayaks Enigma
    1908's Image
    1960's BSCA Cadet

The flying machine is an Advance Epsilon 6 / Success 3.

The wife is also paid for (if not actually owned). I'm not stupid enough to discuss the prospect of renting her out.

Where is Harry Enfield when you need him?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Where is Harry Enfield when you need him?
    It was tongue in cheek. Anyone who bothered to google would have seen that the boats are all kayaks and the flying machine is a paraglider.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    It was tongue in cheek. Anyone who bothered to google would have seen that the boats are all kayaks and the flying machine is a paraglider.
    Wasn't lost on me

I realised a few years back that boats are way way out of my league, an old school friend invited a few of our old school buddies on to his 'gin palace' for a spin around the Solent and drinks in Cowes, of course one of us had to ask how much it cost to fill the tanks 8 grand came the reply, naturally none of us offered to split the bill, I may have bought a few G&T's though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Wasn't lost on me

I realised a few years back that boats are way way out of my league, an old school friend invited a few of our old school buddies on to his 'gin palace' for a spin around the Solent and drinks in Cowes, of course one of us had to ask how much it cost to fill the tanks 8 grand came the reply, naturally none of us offered to split the bill, I may have bought a few G&T's though
    Haha been there. Was helping to fill up a friends sunseeker ahead of a similar circuit a few years ago. Well by help I was watching the fuel gauges for both tanks.

Almost fell overboard at the price of it and how much we used messing about on the water. Very much a rich man’s play thing.

That aluminium boat looks great. You are going to have so much fun in that I am sure over there coming years.

I have to admit that I got fooled - I did google the paraglider but not the ships.

I have to admit that I got fooled - I did google the paraglider but not the ships.
    Sorry couldn't resist.

Some of the kayaks have water bottle holders. Does that count as an on board bar?
    And befoe anyone asks, the paraglider has taken me to well over a mile high, but there isn't really room onboard to enter the hile high club. It's a solo wing anyway.

Could have had a w**k.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Sorry couldn't resist.

Some of the kayaks have water bottle holders. Does that count as an on board bar?
    And befoe anyone asks, the paraglider has taken me to well over a mile high, but there isn't really room onboard to enter the hile high club. It's a solo wing anyway.
    I sometimes drag a couple of beers in a net bag behind my kayak on a hot day -ice cold after a little paddle

Master
    Bumping this old thread as my son has surprised me by suggesting he wishes to buy an old yacht with some friends, renovate it and sail to the Mediterranean. He's hoping I will help fund this in some way.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience/idea of the costs he's likely to incur and is willing to exchange some initial observations via pm or even a short video call as I have no real idea other than boats can be money pits and my gut reaction would be to run a mile...

I recognise what a positive experience this could be, although I've never been a risk taker or interested in sailing so it's not my thing at all, so don't want to come across overly negative hence I think having a slightly better understanding would be helpful all round. I'll reserve full details for pms but I think there's a bit of a surprise in there for anyone who can help!

I have broken out my Google Fu but there's lots of specifics involved that make a difference plus how long is a piece of string....
    Last edited by deepreddave; 14th January 2023 at 19:03.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Bumping this old thread as my son has surprised me by suggesting he wishes to buy an old yacht with some friends, renovate it and sail to the Mediterranean. He's hoping I will help fund this in some way.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience/idea of the costs he's likely to incur and is willing to exchange some initial observations via pm or even a short video call as I have no real idea other than boats can be money pits and my gut reaction would be to run a mile...

I recognise what a positive experience this could be, although I've never been a risk taker or interested in sailing so it's not my thing at all, so don't want to come across overly negative hence I think having a slightly better understanding would be helpful all round. I'll reserve full details for pms but I think there's a bit of a surprise in there for anyone who can help!

I have broken out my Google Fu but there's lots of specifics involved that make a difference plus how long is a piece of string....
    I can help him with that! How about an old (-ish) yacht that needs a bit of work that's ALREADY IN THE MED! Result yes? A 1991 classically styled, VERY highly specced 50' Tyler Ketch. Pics on demand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    I can help him with that! How about an old (-ish) yacht that needs a bit of work that's ALREADY IN THE MED! Result yes? A 1991 classically styled, VERY highly specced 50' Tyler Ketch. Pics on demand.
    To me that sounds an entirely better proposition but they have their sights set on something older and probably cheaper, I think that's a key part of the appeal unsurprisingly, and sailing from here but that may be because the target boat is here. Feel free to pm me a link or brief details as I'm happy to forward on.

If you can also help provide some general experience then feel free to say so and I'll provide some further details.

Great idea. You don’t say whether he can already sail tho'. If not, there's no point looking for a boat. To be clear, I'm deffo not an expert, but did look into doing similar when I retired, but was very soon cured of my illusions. There are so many aspects to boat ownership/sailing, apart from being a money pit. Finding a boat you can afford is the least of the potential nightmares! Like old cars, you have to know what you’re buying.

The Day Skipper Course from the RYA which covers the following would be essential also: Preparation for sea, deck work, navigation, pilotage, meteorology, rules of the road, maintenance and repair work, engines, victualling, emergency situations, yacht handling under power, yacht handling under sail, passage making, night cruising.

No reason why it can't be done but it will need dedication and lots and lots of money. I wish him well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Great idea. You don’t say whether he can already sail tho'....
    No reason why it can't be done but it will need dedication and lots and lots of money. I wish him well.
    He has a little sailing experience but the venture is reliant on friends with greater experience, another potential risk in my eyes but less so his youthful ones. Part of my challenge is determining how risky or unlikely his ambitions are with limited personal knowledge but I'm in no doubt that there are numerous sailing options I'd prefer to this grand scheme.

Master
    Sailing expensive phah…..

My son is a skipper on a 50’ Catamaran, they recently moved it from Miami to Nassau in the Bahamas. Its a new boat ( launched 2022) so its had some snagging. He was berthed in Nassau for about five days and had to call out an engineer to fix a faulty E stop circuit. The costs

Mooring fees $2500, call out charge $1700 3 hrs work. Half fill the fuel tanks at $7 / gallon $1800?

In his words “ I will never buy a boat”
    Last edited by higham5; 14th January 2023 at 21:39.

Master

Collecting watches can be very profitable if you use your head.

Master
    Our best purchase in the past 5 years was a 15ft sailing dinghy costing £500 - we've had great fun at the local club and made some great friends. Admittedly this is on a different scale (size/cost) to what's being discussed on this thread. The point being, great fun doesn't necessarily cost huge amounts!

I love boats, and have considered buying one a few times, but common sense and my late mother’s experience has so far always made me back away.

She had a beautiful 36ft 1950’s built wooden river cruiser that had been gorgeously restored and sympathetically updated. It really was stunning to look at and felt really special when aboard.

But it cost an absolute fortune to run and maintain- yard fees alone each year ran to easily 10k plus, not including fuel, insurance, licence, mooring fees etc) and that was more than twenty years ago.

She just didn’t use it enough to warrant it, and when she passed away we had quite a job selling it on as it was very niche.
    Last edited by TheFlyingBanana; 15th January 2023 at 17:22.
    So clever my foot fell off.