closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TV Signal Question

TV Signal Question

All,

A random question. My Dad has encountered an issue with his Smart TV. After he's linked his laptop to the TV screen to watch Sky Sports via the Sky Go App and an HDMI lead. It seems to affect the free view channels and need retuning. It's hard to diagnose it further as I'm in London and they're in Devon and not the most tech savvy.

The freeview channels behave as if there are signal issues, so what you might expect if there are thunderstorms around and or other interference. My dad has fixed this when encountered by retuning the channels on the TV. This is something he's done more or less every time he's linked the laptop. So not an ideal fix.

It's also interesting as this is an issue that affects the other Smart TV upstairs when he links the laptop to it.

I'm minded to think it's an issue with the transmitter and aerial rather than the TV's as can't honestly see how the laptop being linked via an HDMI lead can knock over the tuning but could be mistaken.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm heading down in September so can find out more then.

Best,

Ben

Can he connect wirelessly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello

Sweepinghand,

Do you mean laptop to TV without the HDMI lead. No, Sky Go won't allow that. The Smart TV can connect via WiFi and or an etheret cable to use apps like. Netflix / Iplayer etc.

Best,

Ben

Master
    Can’t offer much of an insight as you’d obviously have to be there and watch but I’d agree connecting a hdmi should not effect the tv tuning, as it happening to two tv’s the common factor is the laptop and dad, I’m betting it’s not the laptop.

Hello

Captain Morgan,

Agreed. When they first got broadband I spent 3hrs on the phone helping them set up to no avail. Well, I got a migraine and they got stressed. I went down a weekend or so later and they'd not fully pushed in one of the leads to the router!

Oh well. Will see if I can sort it when I head down.

Craftsman
    Is the laptop placed right next to the tv, or is there any other possible source of interference to the tv or cables?

Hello

No,not really. A few feet away, approximately 4-6ft for the laptop and nothing else interfering with it.

Is Sky Go intended to work over HDMI or is there some kind of hack involved to make it function?
    ______

​Jim.

Hello

No issues before with using it over HDMI. So I wouldn't class it as a hack.

If you google 'Sky Go over HDMI' it seems that Sky has designed the feature not to work via HDMI & that some 'intervention' (for want of a better word) is required for it to function.
    ______

​Jim.

Hello

I'll check it out but that's not what doesn't work. So the programmes on Sky Go being watched is fine. It's the Freeview when the HDMI lead is disconnected that plays up.

Craftsman
    To rule a couple of things out.....

Does the Freeview work ok just switching TV source feed and leaving hdmi and laptop connected and on?

Is he shutting down laptop before disconnecting hdmi lead?

Craftsman
    Is signal jammed with laptop next to TV without hdmi connection? If so, how far away does laptop need to be without interference? Then you need a longer hdmi cable.

If it is the hdmi cable then try a different cable.