closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My first 38MM Watch Honest opinions Please. . . . . . .

My first 38MM Watch Honest opinions Please. . . . . . .

Hello My dear compadres this is My first 38MM watch I normally don't wear anything under 40MM diameter so My lovely Lady bought Me a Seiko Alpinist with the proviso if it feels too small on the wrist She'll return it its basically a cheer Me up gift as I've been depressed I would appreciate honest opinions excuse the packaging on the watch face thanks for letting Me share and please all stay safe.

I think it looks great on you! 38mm is ideal size for that type of watch. That's a really thoughtful gift, I'd keep it. Best of luck and I hope your spirits lift soon.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    I think it looks great on you! 38mm is ideal size for that type of watch. That's a really thoughtful gift, I'd keep it. Best of luck and I hope your spirits lift soon.

Your kind words mean a lot My Friend very best wishes to You.

Journeyman
    Right size, right watch. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s a fine looking piece,try to keep your chin up,I know it’s easier said than done at times.

Guys thanks for responding I took redundancy and I do miss flying and I don't a really weird conundrum anyway I have 30 days to bond with this-)!

I have a 6.5 in / 16.5 cm wrist and always thought I should be, and have worn, mostly 40 or 41 mom watches.

I recently bought a 38 mm CW diver, and it just is the sweet spot. Similarly a 40 mm with short lug-to-lug works too.

Can’t believe it took me 15 years to work this out. I say forget the hype around 42+ mm watches if you have a smaller wrist.

The picture of a 38mm watch you have shown looks great on you.

Not my cup of tea, but I do like the dial, hands and indices (although I think the removal of the prospex logo would improve it further).

Size looks good on you, hope it cheers you up.

Nothing wrong with the proportions of that on your wrist, looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    Your kind words mean a lot My Friend very best wishes to You.
    Surely the only way is up for an Alpinist!

I was made redundant 6 years ago, it was tough at the time and I also got depressed but I came through it. So will you.

I am somewhat in agreement about the Prospex Logo but I suppose its brand identification You make a valid point Ed.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What a thoughtful gift, size looks great on you

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Looks like a keeper thanks Verv appreciate Your thoughts.What impressed Me it was ticking straight out of the box and with a 70 hour power reserve that means if I rotate it with something else then for a couple of days I don't need to worry about setting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post

This ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
    Right size, right watch. Congrats!

And this ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    That’s a fine looking piece,try to keep your chin up,I know it’s easier said than done at times.
    And this ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Nothing wrong with the proportions of that on your wrist, looks great.
    And this ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Oh you must have got the message by now - it's looks great
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Nothing wrong with a smaller size watch.
    I always though 40-42mm was the norm.

Then I treated myself to a 50 year old DateJust for my 50th.

It felt tiny for a few minutes but after that felt just right.

Cheers, Shaun

Master
    Blog Entries
    That sits perfectly on your wrist and looks good.

Keep it for the sentimental reasons it will hold.

Master
    Looks about right to me. I also don't usually wear anything under 40mm. However, I think 38mm in that style of watch is spot on.

I would definitely keep it.

Have to say - that is a lovely looking watch, and from the angle of your photograph that looks like a perfect size to me.

T.G.

Craftsman

My first 38MM Watch Honest opinions Please. . . . . . .

I think you have a keeper (and the watch is worth keeping as well).

Seriously, it looks a good size and with being a non-bezel design the dial is proportionally larger so it looks larger than the dimensions would suggest.

I do like the look of the new retro alpinist. It would be good to see some more photos.

Enjoy and treat your partner to something in return.

38mm is the perfect size in my opinion (unless you've got wrists like Arnie). Hope you feel better soon - I had the same when I retired from a busy job - I found a new balance eventually. Hope you've visited the docs to discuss...

Why not write a book about your flying experiences? Perhaps start by writing down anecdotes, sort 'em into subject headings and see if you have enough for a book. I'm sure you have plenty of amusing/risque/weird stories to tell.

I look forward to reading 'Confessions of a Boeing Driver'.

Looks fine, Mannu. Take the wrapping off and hope you are feeling better soon.

Craftsman
    Looks great! Not too small at all. What a lovely gift and sentiment from your other half! Congrats.

(If I may, I would loosen the strap a bit.)

Hope you get well soon.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Looks fine, maybe a bit tight so slacken it off and enjoy, while wearing it look in the mirror, normally looks far better than looking down at your wrist and gives a real world view

Craftsman
    I think it suits your wrist fine, and looks like a lovely watch.

Hopefully the gift of it, and the sentiment behind it will bring you a cheer and lift.

Taking redundancy affects a lot of us in different ways (key to remember is that it’s the role that is becoming redundant, NOT you - important to keep in mind!), but hopefully you will find your next interesting role soon!

Once you are back on an even keel, you will still have a very precious watch to lift a smile!

Good luck, and do report back how it develops!

Looks perfect size and what a lovely thought from your wife, that alone would make it a keeper but thankfully she chose well there.

Best wishes buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Nothing wrong with a smaller size watch.
    I always though 40-42mm was the norm.

Then I treated myself to a 50 year old DateJust for my 50th.

It felt tiny for a few minutes but after that felt just right.

Cheers, Shaun
    Now that is awesome!Guys thanks for the really lovely thoughts and kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Looks fine, Mannu. Take the wrapping off and hope you are feeling better soon.
    Lovely to hear from the most loveliest Medical man in the World for those who don'tknow I met Raj in person He's a really lovely fella and what a watch collection!!!!

Gorgeous watch and looks great on you!

Craftsman
    Suits you sir. That’s a great looking watch and a good size for you.

Sorry to hear you've been suffering a little. The watch looks perfect.

Sorry to hear you're a bit down Mannu, hopefully with the passage of time you can find an interest as strong as flying clearly is/was to you.

And I think that size watch suits your wrists perfectly.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Sorry to hear you're a bit down Mannu, hopefully with the passage of time you can find an interest as strong as flying clearly is/was to you.

And I think that size watch suits your wrists perfectly.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    Cheers My Friend I know there are jobs in flying available but in the Far East flying rubber dog out of Taipei/Hong Kong and dice with COVID!

Master
    Looks great, handsome watch and a perfect size for you.

Hope the black dog leaves you alone soon. Just remember- it's a temporary thing, and your on the road to recovery.

That’s a lovely watch, which suits you very well.

It’s also a very lovely thought from your wife. She is clearly extremely caring and loves you a great deal. I’m somewhat envious. Not of the black dog though, he’s a right pain in the proverbial!

I hope that in the near future, you can look back on this period of your life, with the watch as a reminder of the strength you have shown to get through the tough times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perfect

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Looks good to me, I really like the watch and the size looks fine.

Journeyman
    Great looking watch, and the size looks pretty much perfect on your wrist. I'd say it was a keeper.
    There sometimes seem to be tiny things that stop us from enjoying a particular design. In your case it was the perceived smallness of a watch below 40mm, in mine ( recently thinking about a purchase) it was the lack of a screw down crown and an odd 19mm lug width, and when you think about it, it is all a little bit daft. Just small differences that stop us from enjoying something for no real discernible reason.
    This watch looks great ( to the point that I would appreciate it if you could quote the reference number) and, no, maybe I am not completely taken with the Prospex logo on the dial, but is it a deal breaker? Hell no!
    Unwrap it, wear it, enjoy it, and most importantly ( as I am sure you do) appreciate the sentiment with which it was given. Better days are coming. Enjoy.

Craftsman
    for a dress watch 38mm is perfect, even if you have been used to wearing 40mm and above watches. to be fair sports watches at 40mm and over look great however a nice dressy watch like that would look a bit awkward if it was 40mm or over, so i’d say that’s a winner and really suits you

38mm is the truly sweet spot for the style, 40 would look like a dinner plate.
    Lovely watch, looks great on you, and a fantastic present to receive from a very thoughtful lady. Enjoy your future whatever direction it takes, but keep the watch!

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Looks absolutely spot on to me.

Judging by your username I can see why you might be used to something bigger but on the ground I think 38mm is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Looks fine, maybe a bit tight so slacken it off and enjoy, while wearing it look in the mirror, normally looks far better than looking down at your wrist and gives a real world view
    What he said

Loosen that strap it looks 100% fine if anything it’s perfect size for your wrist I don’t see an issue at all.

Lovely gift and a great watch, was looking at one of these a few weeks ago. Get that plastic off the back wear and enjoy!

Just to report back the strap is an unusual 19MM width so 18MM will also do I wore it to bed instead of My Smiths 40MM PRS-25 the Lume lasted an easy 6-7 hours its that light Bluey/Green lume and thedial was very easily readable in low light.Once again Gents thankyou again.

Two more photos:-

Craftsman
    The size looks great to me. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Looks 1000x better than the limited edition one with the weird date placement

Master
    Looks good. I have been wearing larger watches for years, from Moonwatches to Panerai. However, in the past few weeks I have bought two smaller watches, a Speedbird and a Tutima chrono. I’m loving both of them.
    Hope things look up for you.

Thanks again Gents its been on My wrist and I've ordered a new strap to try.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    Hello My dear compadres this is My first 38MM watch I normally don't wear anything under 40MM diameter so My lovely Lady bought Me a Seiko Alpinist with the proviso if it feels too small on the wrist She'll return it its basically a cheer Me up gift as I've been depressed I would appreciate honest opinions excuse the packaging on the watch face thanks for letting Me share and please all stay safe.
    Looks fantastic. Would be even better (for me) in 36mm. Certainly doesn't look too small on your own wrist.

Looks smashing. On the large side, if anything!