closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC Mark XII owner’s experience.

Master

IWC Mark XII owner’s experience.

I’m thinking of getting a Mark XII as a replacement for my Omega Dynamic III. I’ve read articles that state the JLC movement is fragile and expensive to service. I would be buying the watch as a regular wearer but not a beater and I’m Interested to hear other’s real world experiences.

Master
    I had my XII serviced a few years ago. It cost £700+, but I had a dial replaced (the lume triangle had gone wandering around the dial).

I wouldn't say the movement is fragile, but it is "finicky" for want of a better word. It can be a bugger to set the time - the minute hand typically jumps a minute or so when you push in the crown.

I've had two other watches with the same JLC movement and the same experience; it's definitely the movement, not my particular watch.

I love mine though, it's my favourite watch. But I only wear it for a few days every now and then and if I was going to wear one watch all year round, it wouldn't be that one.

I used my as a daily for years and had no problem

Craftsman
    I have been tracking Mark XII and Mark XV quite a bit.

It seems to me that the examples with tritium on the dial seem to be prone to flakiness of the tritium especially on the hands. I was initially interested in tritium Mark XII and Mark XV, but I've since moved on to all luminova XV since so many late 90s watches come with broken tritium on the hands or the dial. By broken, I mean flaked, cracked or otherwise malformed.

I haven't seen this with many other watches and leads me to believe that IWC may have had issues with the tritium compound so that it doesn't age well.

Master
    'Finicky' movement to set, but only till you've got the hang of it. No problems to report otherwise--timekeeping excellent, and tritium hanging in there. I don't hesitate to use it as a daily wearer, for a few weeks at a time in rotation. No experience having it serviced yet.
    Last edited by SplitSecond; 14th August 2021 at 07:33.

Master
    Thanks all for the input. I currently have the Dynamic which scratches a similar itch - and is very easy to live with - but I do love the look of the IWC. Maybe a SL redial or Mark XV might be the way to go.

I also think the beads of rice bracelet looks fantastic but how is it on the wrist?

Master
    Gerard, remember that the Mark XV is 39mm, not 36.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Gerard, remember that the Mark XV is 39mm, not 36.
    I thought it was 38mm? But either way, it is bigger. Did you have a XV Mark? I seem to remember you did. Does it wear a lot bigger?

Master
    Yes I did Gerard, certainly bigger than the Dynamic III but not very excessively so imo.

Master
    I had a XV as well, not a fan of big watches but it wasn't cumbersome or imposing. Lovely watch that was, a white dial limited edition.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I thought it was 38mm? But either way, it is bigger. Did you have a XV Mark? I seem to remember you did. Does it wear a lot bigger?
    Correct on that, 38mm for the XV (great watch, love mine) with the ever reliable 2892-A2. The XVI was 39mm, had one of those a while back, definitely prefer the XV with it's proper Fleiger hands.

I loved my mark XII only sold it to fund a mark XI.