closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pelagos owners - how has it aged?

Pelagos owners - how has it aged?

I keep considering a Pelagos (black bezel) but am curious to how it looks as it ages, with titanium. Are there any long term owners here? How does it hold up and look with scratches etc?

Photos would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It doesn’t tend to scratch. Instead it oxidizes and this forms a thin layer on the surface which dulls it down a bit. When you see a scratched Pelagos it’s often scratches in the oxidized layer and not the metal itself. I bought one that looked like it had been to ‘Nam but an ink eraser from Staples brought it back to good condition with maybe 40 mins work.

Pelagos owners - how has it aged?

I am happy with mine
    I bought the ETA version as soon as it come out and whilst there are a few marks on it there is nothing of note. I am not particularly heavy on my watches though. Titanium oxidises quite quickly so this hides any marks (sort of self heals as the scuffs are usually the matte oxidation layer being removed), any serious marks can be touched up gently with a refinishing pad or pen to even out the brightness.
    The crystal and bezel still look new. The one thing that does mark in my experience is the clasp. The type of brushing used means any scuffs are quite prominent (it is a steel clasp)
    It on the whole it seems a little hardier than the polished links on my SM300MC or the sides of my MM300 when if comes to marks and scuffs.

Last edited by Sinnlover; 13th August 2021 at 09:46.

First edition ETA owner and bought it very soon after release. Mine still looks great, a few minor marks but nothing bad (mostly on the steel clasp). Watch really has a warm tone compared to my solid steel watches. Bracelet as tight as it was new. Happy to share some pics if you like.

Any pics would be great!

I have had mine since December 2014.

Link to a review with pics that I did in May 2019.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Tudor-Pelagos

Condition now is no different.

Red face

I'm now on my fifth!!!! maybe i should allow them to age...

In the state I bought it

And after using this
    It ended up like this
    Not perfect but 1000 times better. So just wear the heck out if it.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    In the state I bought it

And after using this
    It ended up like this
    Wow-that's quite a transformation. I haven't seen a rubber like that since I was at school-does it matter which end you use?

Mine is similar to Rusty’s but I don’t baby my watches. Tool watch so happy for it to show wear.

Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    Wow-that's quite a transformation. I haven't seen a rubber like that since I was at school-does it matter which end you use?
    The course end

Master
    That’s quite a transformation!

In the state I bought it

And after using this
    It ended up like this

Craftsman
    They certainly be tidied up very easily. Ive used the rubber and ultra fine scotchbrite and mine looks as new,

In the state I bought it

And after using this
    It ended up like this
    What a transformation, cracking job!

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Wow that is pretty amazing! Thanks for the photos.

Craftsman
    amazing that a simple rubber has basically restored that watch ! would a rubber work on any titanium strap ?

Grand Master
    Blue Garryflex block is a better way to do it. Titanium's quite easy to refinish, just be sure to get the grained lines straight.

The Pelagos is an absolutely superb watch, offering tremendous bang for the money.
    Mine is a couple of years old, and still looks like new - I’m at least the third owner of it.
    I would suggest to the OP, just pull the trigger.

Thanks to Rusty’s incredible photos we now know, there is nothing to worry about.

Craftsman
    The pelagos is the type of watch that looks better well worn, any scratches give the watch character.

I owned one for a while but my skinny wrists can't pull it off, I'm forever hopeful they make a Ti BB58 or a Pelagos 58....

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

I hope the owners don’t take offence, but the slab featureless sides of the case seem to offer little in the way of subtlety or attractiveness, especially for the £3k+ RRP.

I think subtle details are important if you are paying top money. But, just my opinion of course, so don’t shoot the messenger.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I hope the owners don’t take offence, but the slab featureless sides of the case seem to offer little in the way of subtlety or attractiveness, especially for the £3k+ RRP.

I think subtle details are important if you are paying top money. But, just my opinion of course, so don’t shoot the messenger.
    No offence taken (by me anyway). It is a little slabby, but the He valve breaks that up, and the Ti keeps the weight down. Plus the thin bezel and flat crystal keep the profile down.

If you want slabby then look no further than the Heritage Chrono. Proper slabby, but still a great watch as part of a collection (I own both).

(stock photo)
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 14th August 2021 at 01:22.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Blue Garryflex block is a better way to do it. Titanium's quite easy to refinish, just be sure to get the grained lines straight.
    Second this, I bought a set of 4 different grades of Garryflex and they’re the most used thing in my watch toolbox. I’ve taken scratches out of many watches. I was touching up a colleague’s seamaster clasp at work only yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

I don’t think anyone would take offence, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It does not appear so slab sided on the wrist.
    I quite like the basic no nonsense shape. It’s utilitarian and stark.
    It’s the total opposite of the MM300 for example, with its sculpted curves. (Which I also own) the Pelagos seems more of a old fashioned, over engineered ‘tool watch’.
    Almost every other new dive watch on the market has some form of ‘luxury’ added to justify the cost, gold hands, shiny bezel insert, super fine polishing, wonder technology etc. This is the total opposite. A well made robust watch designed to be used. So much so that if you believe the rumours, the French Navy have started issuing Pelagos to their divers, as have the Israeli Navy.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 14th August 2021 at 08:02.

Craftsman
    i actually like the slabby sides of the pelagos, as mentioned the HE valve breaks it up on the non crown side, most dive watches from every brand have a slabby sided look it’s part of owning a diver watch with a very decent WP rating

Not the best picture but this is against the SD43 which I guess is its Rolex counterpart.

Probably about the same but sliced differently. The SD43 glass pokes out further, and caseback protrudes more. The SD43 admits what it is and takes the bulk on the case.

This thread is going to push me over the Tudor LHD edge.

What’s the going rate for a used LHD?

Just wondering when reading this thread, has anyone had theirs Serviced yet?.

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    Just wondering when reading this thread, has anyone had theirs Serviced yet?.
    I had the same thoughts. Those blue Pelagos (plural : Pelagosi?) which came and went in a flash on SC really caught my eye, I was factoring in possible service costs but can't find anything recent on the forum

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    I have the black, I also want to add the blue!

Black was my gift 5yrs ago to myself for my 40th, guess blue for my 50th! They will no doubt discontinue just at the critical time like Rolex did with the 39mm explorer for my wife lol

I have owned my Pelagos for longer than most on the forum (I got mine in Jan 2013 - it is the ETA version, of course).
    I wear mine mostly on a Tudor NATO from a BB, rather than bracelet or the included rubber.
    There is one slight smear on a lug, otherwise it is unmarked, even though I use it a lot for active stuff.
    It keeps great time, and has not been serviced so far.
    I have heard of a few people losing bits of lume from the bezel, but mine has lost none.
    And the lume is still epic.
    The only thing I would change would be to reduce the sharp edge on the inside of the lugs. If you wear it on the included strap/bracelet, this is irrelevant.
    Dave