closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Seiko - worth paying extra for a limited edition?

Grand Seiko - worth paying extra for a limited edition?

I've got a hankering for another simple quartz Grand Seiko.

I really liked the grab-and-go SBGX009, but it was a little too small for me and I am of an age where I need a little more contrast between hands and dial to see the time at a glance...

My local dealership is getting a SBGP013 in for me to consider, and possibly the limited edition 60th anniversary SBGP007.

The 013 was the the one I was thinking of getting until I saw the 007...

Now, the watches are virtually identical except for the fine detail on the dial, the second hand, the gold inlay on the back rather than stainless and a slightly more carefully selected quartz crystal improving the timekeeping from +/-10 to +/-5 seconds a year. And a grand.

I'm worried if I go for the 013 I'll regret not getting the limited edition. If I go for the limited edition I'll baby it too much and won't use it as the grab-and-go that I'm after.

I guess the only thing to do is try them on and see if the differences are worth, well, the difference.

I have the 37mm SBGX061. Presume this was a similar size to the one you tried on? Anyway, I think GS 9F movements perform better than their stated accuracy. Mine is from 2014 and runs well within stated spec. It's actually less than plus 3 secs per year so I wouldn't go for the special edition for reasons of accuracy alone. Even this level of precision is slightly over the top because you have to change the time at start/end of BST at which point it's only gained around one second.

13 all day everyday.

The standard 9F can be regulated to 3spy via the simple selector on the movement; I don’t believe the “special” can be made to perform better than (but am happy to learn how), though it will likely perform better out of the box.

Also, the 13 looks classier. Too many colours on the le.

(But they are both very nice at the end of the day, nice decision to have to make whatever you go for!)

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I have the 37mm SBGX061. Presume this was a similar size to the one you tried on? Anyway, I think GS 9F movements perform better than their stated accuracy. Mine is from 2014 and runs well within stated spec. It's actually less than plus 3 secs per year so I wouldn't go for the special edition for reasons of accuracy alone. Even this level of precision is slightly over the top because you have to change the time at start/end of BST at which point it's only gained around one second.
    I owned the SBGX009 for a few years and yes, it's just under 37mm, no date.

Agreed the 9F performs astonishingly well and the accuracy difference is of no consequence, and the quick-set hour hand on these versions allows changing the hour independently.

I think the 007 is going to have to be astonishing in the metal to justify the difference.

Journeyman
    It would be worth it to me, but not because it is a limited edition, it would be because I think it looks way better.

GS does so many limited editions it is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I owned the SBGX009 for a few years and yes, it's just under 37mm, no date.

Agreed the 9F performs astonishingly well and the accuracy difference is of no consequence, and the quick-set hour hand on these versions allows changing the hour independently.

I think the 007 is going to have to be astonishing in the metal to justify the difference.
    Mine doesn't have the quick set hour hand. That's a welcome feature imo. Obvs try them both on and see if you can justify the extra. Have you considered the 39mm GMTs? I've often thought about trading up to one of those.

Craftsman
    I prefer the non limited one due to its simpler colour scheme. I’d just say buy what sings to you when you get to see them both in the flesh and whatever you do don’t baby either of them. These things are made to be enjoyed! Looking forward to seeing the pics

Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    GS does so many limited editions it is crazy.
    Agreed, they do but as a strategy, it seems to be working for them. I wouldn't pay more for an LE though unless it was 'the one'.

I have owned a few GS and have two now, the watch I wear most is the SBGP015 which just happens to be a LE. I usually prefer larger watches but at 40mm and with the aggressive lug design, I just love it, very much a watch that has to be worn to be appreciated, pics don't capture just how fantastic it is.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Mine doesn't have the quick set hour hand. That's a welcome feature imo. Obvs try them both on and see if you can justify the extra. Have you considered the 39mm GMTs? I've often thought about trading up to one of those.
    Not a fan of the current GMTs; find them a bit busy.

I prefer the simpler dials of the previous generation GMTs (I have a SBGJ001)

I may be wrong Gyp but I’m fairly certain Deacons in Swindon have those on reduced atm

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I may be wrong Gyp but I’m fairly certain Deacons in Swindon have those on reduced atm
    Thanks - I've dropped them an email to see.

Master
    Bit biased here as I recently bought a SBGP013 :)

It is a lovely colour, showing dark blue and black at the same time;

I have owned a few of the 37mm size GS quartz before and briefly owned a SBGN003 (also 40mm) which I sold to Preacher Cain.. I really like the increased size to 40mm..

The LE that the OP is considering doesn't do that much for me over the standard 013..

I got mine from the grey dealer Watches of Mayfair, at just over £1900 I thought it was a good buy and I have been v pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    Bit biased here as I recently bought a SBGP013 :)

It is a lovely colour, showing dark blue and black at the same time;
    Yes, it's down to seeing yours that started my search. I hold you responsible.

Craftsman
    This seller in Japan has a brand new one for £2343 even with vat etc it would come in under £3000 I'd imagine. https://www.chrono24.co.uk/seiko/sei...id20023653.htm

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    I'd definitely go with the LE, the dial looks ace, just need to make sure you can live with the red seconds (which I like).
    When I was looking at one earlier in the year (sbgp007 that is) most places were willing to do a decent deal on one.

Master
    Yes, it's down to seeing yours that started my search. I hold you responsible.
    , that's funny - 'cos seeing china's (think that is his username), black one that he picked up a few months back got me into them again!

And this review helped me as well;
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/hand...seiko-sbgp013/

Master
    If the price isn’t an issue and you can get over the mental hurdle of not babying it, the LE is to the one to go for.

Master
    I have actually tried these watches and I do think it makes a difference, if it's worth it is down to how much spare change you have. The black dial one in particular I found had a lot of empty dial, the blue felt more filled out due to the colour and sunburst. But having something on the 6 side really helps IMO. Most GS have some writing on the 6 side of the dial and feel more balanced as a result. The 9Fs used to but don't since the rebranding. Some might think that's beautifully minimal, but these 40mm models are quite large and I'm not sure it suits them. The limited editions do have something on the 6 side, even if it's just a star, and the dial is often subtly textured which also helps. The SBGP007 is also a much better looking watch than photos would suggest, as the blue is a lot darker and more subtle most of the time, depending on the light.

I ended up with the special edition SBGN007 for pretty much this reason, I tried the others but the more balanced and filled out dial hit the spot. Unfortunately it's still probably a tiny bit on the large side for me so the quest will probably continue, and I'd like to see another special dial version of the SBGP007 in future as I'm not sure the sporty red second hand is for me, though it's still a great watch.

Master
    As per the chap above, I have a Limited Edition Grand Seiko SBGN007.

I didn't buy it specifically because it was a limited edition, I just loved the green patterned dial.

I actually really like the limited edition watch you have shown so if I could afford the extra and I was in your shoes, it is the one I would get.

Master
    A mate of mine just bought a quartz Grand Seiko and he sent me a link to a review of the said watch he’d bought and I’m amazed at the level of detail that goes into these Grand Seikos. Ok it may not be the exact watch in question but it’s well worth a read. It sounds like sheer quality in the finest detail.

https://amjwatches.co.uk/blog/grand-...eview-sbgx263/

Master
    I'd go with the sbgp013 largely because you'll seemingly have no issues about wearing it as intended. Plus I can't countenance spending the big money on a bracelet GS until they offer a nice micro adjustable clasp.

I'd get the 013 as well, it's a lovely watch plus the 007 is a bridge too far for me personally cost wise on a quartz watch

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I'd get the 013 as well, it's a lovely watch plus the 007 is a bridge too far for me personally cost wise on a quartz watch
    I'm afraid I crossed that bridge with a Breitling Avenger Seawolf Chrono a few years back.

Well, that's the decision made.

Following the advice from the assembled members of TZUK I'm going to consider them both and then buy the one I like the most. That seems to be the best summary I can think of.

Simple!

I'll let you know how I get on

Bit late to the discussion however another alternative for the sbgp013 could be the SBGP005.

Half a grand more (vs a grand for the LE) and it gets you the 44GS case and a different style bracelet. All watches are stunning so it all depends on personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Bit late to the discussion however another alternative for the sbgp013 could be the SBGP005.

Half a grand more (vs a grand for the LE) and it gets you the 44GS case and a different style bracelet. All watches are stunning so it all depends on personal preference.
    Never too late to enter a discussion as many a thread will testify!

I already have that case and bracelet with my Hi Beat GMT

Decision made.

For various reasons, it should be on my wrist by next weekend.

Master
    Decision made.

So what did you go for? (Unless I can't see an attached pic)...

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckal View Post
    So what did you go for? (Unless I can't see an attached pic)...
    That will all become clear next weekend (and I'm holding off in case something goes horribly wrong)

Decision made.

Deacons get back to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Deacons get back to you?
    They did, but weren't able to help on this occasion.

I think Itsguy makes a very good point about the need for something on the 6 side of the dial for balance. The new GS quartz dials look too empty to me. I wonder why they don't have '9F quartz' where the 'spring drive' text is on the SD models?

Edit: I'd also want the date wheel colour matched to the dial but that's just me being fussy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 13th August 2021 at 20:19.

Master
    Any update OP?

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Any update OP?
    Well, I was supposed to pick the watch up last Friday, but things haven't quite worked out.

Hopefully soon.

Master
    Can’t wait to see a few wrist shots! Hope it works out for you

There is something inherently satisfying about the GS quartz hands as there is a very satisfying kind of 'whump' as they hit the markers with precision. If you film it and slow it down you'll see the seconds hand actually moves twice in between each second and whilst it is imperceptible at full speed you do get a real feeling of precision and engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    There is something inherently satisfying about the GS quartz hands as there is a very satisfying kind of 'whump' as they hit the markers with precision. If you film it and slow it down you'll see the seconds hand actually moves twice in between each second and whilst it is imperceptible at full speed you do get a real feeling of precision and engineering.
    That's something I really liked on my last one, and I guess why I wanted another.

The sweep of a spring drive is mesmerising, the delicate motion of a Hi-beat is engaging and the precise tick of the high-torque 9F is similarly satisfying.

All different, but delightful in their own way.

This is partly why, when I replaced the clock movements around the house with radio-signal-controlled versions a few months ago, I left off the second hands as the wobble on every tick annoyed me.

Well, today I got the call...

And the call informed me that...

"I regret to inform you that we have encountered an unexpected delay with your order. May we kindly ask you to contact our Customer Experience Team..."

I suspect I'll not be picking up this Friday either :-(

Master
    Well, today I got the call...

And the call informed me that...

"I regret to inform you that we have encountered an unexpected delay with your order. May we kindly ask you to contact our Customer Experience Team..."

I suspect I'll not be picking up this Friday either :-(
    That's a pain for you - I have been in suspense waiting to see which 9F you picked!

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    That's a pain for you - I have been in suspense waiting to see which 9F you picked!
    To put you out of your suspense, I chose the 013, the same as yours.

I realised that I wouldn't pick out the dial detail of the 007 except in good sunshine and likely then only when wearing reading glasses, which is an unusual combination for me. I wasn't fussed by the gold star on the 007 and quite liked the clean dial, so it came down to whether I thought a red second hand was worth £1000.

I decided it wasn't.

I wanted new rather than ex-display, but both WoS group and Seiko UK don't have any so they are awaiting stock from Japan early next month. Of course, if that doesn't work out, I'd not turn my nose up at a 007 with a chunky discount :-)

go for anything that makes you happy.....my few dozens Seiko are all LE, as I just realized that they're made only around 10,000 in total.

The non-limited edition 013 arrived today, I've collected it and it's lovely.

The second hand doesn't hit the indices. Or at least it does, but only for the bottom 1/3 of the dial.

That has somewhat taken the shine off of it.

The non-limited edition 013 arrived today, I've collected it and it's lovely.

The second hand doesn't hit the indices. Or at least it does, but only for the bottom 1/3 of the dial.

That has somewhat taken the shine off of it.
    That has to go back then surely as it’s not right.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    That has to go back then surely as it’s not right.
    Will be interesting to see what they say if it does go back.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Will be interesting to see what they say if it does go back.
    They will give a refund as long as from WOS Group etc. In my experience they are bang on usually

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    In my experience they are bang on usually
    Oh yes, they usually are.

But I wonder about whether or not Seiko themselves would consider this as being out of spec, even on a Grand Seiko. It is Seiko's view that I'd really like to hear.

Not a great photo, and worth noting that I've not taken the plastic off of the watch.

As you can see the hand is only just off of where it should be, slightly behind the marker, but it's enough to be annoying.

I'm hoping that as the Seiko advertising literature (https://www.grand-seiko.com/uk-en/about/movement/quartz) celebrates that the 9F movement "Improved second hand precision achieves greater positional accuracy on the dial against the markers" they would agree.

That's a shame. I'd expect Seiko to accept that as a fault. Grateful if you can let us know what happens.

Master
    My one (013), does similar OP. It hits the cardinal points but is slightly out, like yours is , around some of the dial. It is never midway between hash marks so does not look too bad.
    All the quartz GS GMT's that i have seen in the Boutique and handled personally (i owned the black SBGN 003 & backed out of a deal on the 005), have actually performed worse - (they were clearly between hash lines most of the way around the dial), so imo the GS quartz are not bang on perfect everytime.

This is my boy
    I am sorry to say but I do believe that LE are somehow better executed...
    All the details are perfect and this little gem is spot on for the last 5 months ...not even a sec +/-
    Absolute beauty and such a tool....
    Totally in love