closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grand Seiko - worth paying extra for a limited edition?

Craftsman
    If you prefer the look and value the extra accuracy then yes, I’d not then no. I always just tend to go for what I like best as overthinking and buying with my head as opposed to my heart almost always leads me to moving the watch on shortly afterwards

Well, Goldsmiths have had a look and are trying to get another.

But WoS group are out of stock.

So they have asked Seiko if they can get one.

But so far no luck there.

Might have to wait for one from Japan.

Perhaps I should have asked for a Rolex and they seem to be popping up more frequently at the moment.

Master
    If you’re expecting the second hand of a 9F to always hit the markers perfectly, you may be disappointed. They have a feature which improves it and allows for longer second hands, as compared to some older quartz movements. But it doesn’t result in perfectly hitting the markers, all the way round all the time, there’s a little variation and inevitably it’s more noticeable on the larger models. Compared to say, the original Omega Aqua Terra Quartz, it’s immeasurably better, the second hands one those were embarrassingly random, though the later ‘decking’ dial ones improved it a lot by using a system with magnets - also not perfect, but better. But the GS claim is frequently overstated, I think they only ever said it ‘improves’ the accuracy. If you want a quartz that actually does hit the markers, buy an Oysterquartz.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    If you’re expecting the second hand of a 9F to always hit the markers perfectly, you may be disappointed.
    My last one did.

Seiko have reviewed it and have stated that it's within their tolerance.

However, they have also stated that if I'm not happy then they're not happy, so when the next batch arrive from Japan they will go through them and find me a perfect one.

I can't complain at that.

Master
    That's a great result and fair play to Seiko.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    As per my previous comment, this is rather what I expected.

However, they have also stated that if I'm not happy then they're not happy, so when the next batch arrive from Japan they will go through them and find me a perfect one.

But this is excellent. :-)

That's disappointing to read Gyp. I sent my GS SBGP105 with 9F85 in on Friday because the second-hand wasn't hitting the markers. It seemed the error wasn't entirely consistent around the dial but it is off by the same amount each minute, sometimes landing mid-way between markers then slightly ahead, or behind, hitting the markers bang on maybe 3 or 4 times per rotation.

If they say its within tolerance I am going to be

It's taken a while but Seiko have come through and I'm a very happy boy.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    It's taken a while but Seiko have come through and I'm a very happy boy.
    Excellent. On the markers all the way round?

It's a lovely watch.

Over time, I have come to like quartz more and more (as long as it hits the markers), not just with GS.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I sent my GS SBGP105 with 9F85 in on Friday because the second-hand wasn't hitting the markers. It seemed the error wasn't entirely consistent around the dial but it is off by the same amount each minute, sometimes landing mid-way between markers then slightly ahead, or behind, hitting the markers bang on maybe 3 or 4 times per rotation.

If they say its within tolerance I am going to be
    Have you heard back from them yet?

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Excellent. On the markers all the way round?
    I was going to say "yes", but, having got the loupe out, I'd say it's not *quite* 100% over the entirety of the dial.

However as I don't tell the time with a loupe and it's far better than the other one (that wasn't *that* far out), I'm not complaining.

I'm going to keep an eye on it though

Blog Entries
    I was going to say "yes", but, having got the loupe out, I'd say it's not *quite* 100% over the entirety of the dial.

However as I don't tell the time with a loupe and it's far better than the other one (that wasn't *that* far out), I'm not complaining.

I'm going to keep an eye on it though
    Hehe, that would be good enough for me too. Thanks for the feedback.

I was impressed by Seiko's response.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Have you heard back from them yet?
    Yes Mark, they have accepted that it's not right, and its now back in Japan for rectification. I expect it will be another four weeks from here.

Good result Gyp!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Yes Mark, they have accepted that it's not right, and its now back in Japan for rectification. I expect it will be another four weeks from here.
    Cool, thanks. Nice to know.

A couple of observations and a frustration (of my own making)...

Based on the serial number, the watch was made in October last year, so delays in delivery from Japan seem to be a shipping issue rather than a production issue.

The blue of the dial is very dark. It's possible that I won't get to fully appreciate it until next summer when the sun's out.

The bracelet isn't quite as buttery smooth as the one on my other GS but it's more than acceptable; definitely doesn't feel cheap and nasty

The one slight frustration though is that I'd not spotted that it has a 20mm lug width. I'd planned to wear it on occasion on my alligator strap with GS deployant, but of course that one is 19mm. Ah well, that means that I can get on with wearing it rather than messing about with it :-)