closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: There really is a good "feel" to a quality bracelet.

There really is a good "feel" to a quality bracelet.

I was playing with a friends SD a couple of weeks ago and the first thing I noticed when he passed it to me was the feel of the bracelet, just felt really nice, quality.

Today I received a BB58 the bracelet needing resizing and again the bracelet just felt good.

Love the look of the BB58 and it seems to fit perfect on the wrist after swapping links around a couple of times.

I now have five links on the six side and seven on the twelve side with the seventh link buried inside the clasp.

Rolex/Tudor make top quality, no nonsense, easy to size bracelets and you are absolutely right- the modern bracelets just feel good. Omega bracelets are good but with tiny screws are a PITA to size.

I had to size a new Sinn U1 bracelet last week
    It’s great quality (very basic clasp though when compared to others on the market) but using the 2 Allen keys needed whilst holding the damn thing was a royal PITA. Not to mention trying to put the blob of locktite on the end of the bolt before doing it up. Most makers have upped their game in recent years which is great to see.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The difference in old and new Rolex bracelets is astonishing.

There are some awful bracelets out there tag, GS, older Bremont to name but a few.

I have always had a hankering for a Vacheron, big fan of the Maltese theme on the bracelets

When I owned this it was a joy to size

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post

There are some awful bracelets out there tag, GS, older Bremont to name but a few.

I have always had a hankering for a Vacheron, big fan of the Maltese theme on the bracelets
    TBH I think that part of the charm of older Rolex watches is the rattling bracelet, with a bit of effort it's easy to get a good fit though I accept that the newer bracelets are more solid, though they're also guilty of "putting on weight" just like the watches themselves.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

The Pelagos bracelet is the best I’ve worn with the spring loaded micro adjustment. Agree on the comments about old Rolex, a certain charm to the lack of integrity they offer at times.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    When I owned this it was a joy to size
    Give us a clue??

Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    Give us a clue??

Nice-and nice looking bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    The Pelagos bracelet is the best I’ve worn with the spring loaded micro adjustment. Agree on the comments about old Rolex, a certain charm to the lack of integrity they offer at times.
    One of the few Rolex watches I still own is from 1984, its been worn diving, and on the beach, in the sauna and at the gym, it rattles (a bit) but I still wouldn't question its integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post

+1 to GS. Tiniest screws in the business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should have one coming on Friday so will have some fun sizing it.

Omega screws are a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Should have one coming on Friday so will have some fun sizing it.

Omega screws are a headache.
    I love the bracelet on my Pelagos, it's perfect, but my AT bracelet is awful, I couldn't wait to remove it. The watch was a gift, I would never have bought it with that bracelet at the price.

Master
    I’m a big fan of a top quality bracelet and the Vacheron Overseas is the best one I have owned as the fit and finish is superb, details are really nice, clasp is solid, the only downside is that there isn’t any micro adjustment.

Blancpain X71 is a close second as that is also very well fitted together however it is an absolute pain to adjust and in fact, the boutique messed mine up when they did it the first time!

Not a fan of the older Rolex bracelets though the newer ones I have had or handled are a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    One of the few Rolex watches I still own is from 1984, its been worn diving, and on the beach, in the sauna and at the gym, it rattles (a bit) but I still wouldn't question its integrity.
    Apologies, wasn’t being literal; bit of clumsy wording. The older Rolex bracelets have a bit of movement shall we say. As I also said, it’s all part of the charm.

Apologies, wasn’t being literal; bit of clumsy wording. The older Rolex bracelets have a bit of movement shall we say. As I also said, it’s all part of the charm.
    Absolutely no offence taken, my point was that the bracelets were "up to the job" and still are, but like all thing's have improved in the way they work over time, on a personal level I don't wear any watches on bracelets any longer, just pointless extra weight.

Grand Master
    I dislike heavy bracelets, its a mistake to confuse weight with quality.

I don’t care whether a bracelet has screws or press- fit pins for the removable links, I’m more concerned with the strength and quality of the pins and how they’ll last in long- term use. Fine adjustment, or lack of, is an annoying problem, the older style clasps with holes down the side take some beating.

Best way to minimise wear in a bracelet is to keep it clean, dirt gets trapped in the links and eventually wears the pins. Older Omega SMPs suffer badly in this respect, the pins wear and the little tubes corrode away.

Craftsman
    I've always found IWC bracelets to be the most comfortable, almost irrespective of model. In certain instances they are also some of the most innovative when it comes to sizing.

Master
    The two nicest bracelets I own.

1) Breitling SOH B20 on their mesh - this is built like a tank, easy to adjust - no cutting, just clever screw in sections and it's never pulled a hair out of my arm.

and

and

2) Eterna Tangaroa - well built and solid but my god it's comfortable - you hardly feel it on the wrist, I guess it's 'president style' but 'flatter'.

and

and

I also like the adjustability of the clasp on my 40mm Smiths Everest. Although I realize some people think it's an awful carbuncle I rather like it. Sadly no pics at this time.

Master
    Best bracelet I’v had was on the Iwc Ingenieur 3227.

Master
    I love the bracelet on my JLC- each link has its own spring bar!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I love the bracelet on my JLC- each link has its own spring bar!
    Same, I wonder if we have matching JLCs! ]
    Mine is an old master quartz. The bracelet is magnificent but to say that I'm relieved that I've never had to size it is an understatement.

I do think some of the more modern bracelets are over engineered, heavy and with lots of moving parts to wear.

Some of the vintage bracelets with split pins which are easily and cheaply replaced take a lot of beating IMO.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Same, I wonder if we have matching JLCs! ]
    Mine is an old master quartz. The bracelet is magnificent but to say that I'm relieved that I've never had to size it is an understatement.

That is lovely. You've sent me on the hunt!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The bracelet on my mil spec is quality and supremely well engineered.
    But, I hate it with the passion of the burning sun. Its pointless and sh*t.

It had to go to BP and was there for 8 weeks to have the bracelet put back on the watch with 2 links added. Impossible to DIY.
    What is the point of having a well engineered bracelet if you have to wave bye to the watch whenever it needs adjusting?
    I got it back from Blancpain and it needs a half link out, but I can't be bothered with the absolute hassle again.

Give me rattly Rolex and a screwdriver any day.

Are they just allen headed screws ? if so I would of thought no problem to adjust ?

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The bracelet on my mil spec is quality and supremely well engineered.
    But, I hate it with the passion of the burning sun. Its pointless and sh*t.

It had to go to BP and was there for 8 weeks to have the bracelet put back on the watch with 2 links added. Impossible to DIY.
    What is the point of having a well engineered bracelet if you have to wave bye to the watch whenever it needs adjusting?
    I got it back from Blancpain and it needs a half link out, but I can't be bothered with the absolute hassle again.

Give me rattly Rolex and a screwdriver any day.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Are they just allen headed screws ? if so I would of thought no problem to adjust ?
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    One would think they are the 0.9mm allen like the 45mm’s case/strap bads, but they are more of a slightly off spec t2 (which sort of did the job better, but you need a pair of tools)

Having sized one its a pain, very easy to round the heads if you’re not careful, and after all that effort I stuck it back on a sail cloth.

Single screws like Rolex make life easier, or friction pins like Patek.

Fancier bracelets are not necessarily better bracelets.
    Rolex has achieved the perfect balance, IMO.
    So many companies that clone Rolex case and dials are unable to execute the bracelet to a similar level with the exception of Ginault. Panerai screws for strap are the best and bracelet wise modern Rolex bracelet is unbeatable. IMO.

Monta make a terrific bracelet.

Similar to a modern Rolex Oyster bracelet, but better finished and more comfortable.

Beautifully chamfered & polished outer edges on all links, on both the upper & lower sides - unlike my Grand Seiko SBGX, which has chamfers on the upper only. There’s nary a sharp edge to be found, very tactile. And pretty.

Short end links that start off with a smaller-sized central link, so that the bracelet immediately ‘breaks’ from the case and drapes down & around the wrist, rather than protruding out beyond the wrist edge.

Links that fully articulate i.e. so they can be stacked fully on top of, or under, each other, concertina-like - such flexibility & freedom means it conforms perfectly to any wrist shape.

Easily adjustable screws.

Poor picture that doesn’t really demonstrate what I’m talking about, but the best I have to hand:

Blog Entries
    This is my favourite - supremely comfortable

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    TBH I think that part of the charm of older Rolex watches is the rattling bracelet, with a bit of effort it's easy to get a good fit though I accept that the newer bracelets are more solid, though they're also guilty of "putting on weight" just like the watches themselves.
    You could always tell a Rolex of old by it’s rattle
    None were quite as noisy as an old sub or sd

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app