closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Monaco Madness

Monaco Madness Update post 28

I've been smitten with Monaco's since I bought my first one in April. They've been arriving at the rate of one a month...hence the 'madness' an expression that Mrs JiaB agrees wholeheartedly with; she calls them 'clown watches'.
    In deference to her request, August will be a blank month and the hunt will resume in September.

I know there's not a lot of enthusiasm for TAG Heuer (more perhaps for Heuer) but I like them.

A few pictures:

'Automobile Club de Monaco' My first and a firm favourite. Came from C24 via a dealer who has a poor sense of 'mint', 'unworn' and 'complete' With C24 mediating a suitable reduction in cost was achieved.

Next is the Cal 12 Blue Monaco, fabulous sunburst dial which really comes alive in the sun. From a private seller on eBay who was spot on with his description...barely worn and a full set.

In came the 'Black McQueen' Wasn't particularly looking for this, but it appeared on C24 for remarkably little money. Loose watch from seller SubDial who've been mentioned recently, sent videos and lots of pictures - excellent to deal with!
    There is something very crisp, clean and striking with the face.

Finally, I was fortunate to get what is probably my favourite, a Monaco from the Vintage Collection.
    Has the Heuer branding only on the dial also on the deployant clasp.
    It was good see it arrive in a box befitting the watch...a polished wood affair and so much nicer than the cheap usual TH offerings.
    This is one of only a few CAL11 watches I could wear. I 've got past the winder being on the left hand side, but horizontal indices? not for me, they make my eyes bleed!

Just need a CAL12 Gulf colours version now :)

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jacinabox; 28th November 2021 at 15:57. Reason: update

Nice collection.
    I have vintage reissue which if the madness ever returns you might be interested in.
    I have it on a bracelet at the moment.
    You should try the bracelets on them they look very cool.
    Geckota do the straps for not much money .
    Either way love the monacos too.
    Enjit

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

No problem with Tag Heuer
    Nice group. Try to get atleast one of them on a bracelet. I like the bracelet quite a bit.

Master
    I like them generally, but I love this one

The pick of the bunch for me is the Cal12 Blue Monaco - stunning! Great to see an obsession of a slightly more unusual kind

Love this! The Monaco is just such a distinctive watch, was my first ever watch crush, particularly the sunburst blue dial. Every now and again I spot someone wearing one and it still brings a smile to my face. Enjoy!

T.G.

Master
    Love mine on a bracelet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love them!

Im not "as bad"! as you though, Ive only had 3, just got the one now though.

I usually prefer watches on bracelets, the Monaco though, I think looks much better on a strap.

Lovely set, especially the Cal 11. A Gulf is a must!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    I’ve worked on a couple so I’ve had chance to try them. The Monaco is a watch I want to like, they look great in pictures but they just don't suit my square slim wrists, no matter how I try to convince myself a Monaco looks like a clock strapped to my arm, just doesn’t work.

The DD chrono modules are a real headache to service, a special tool/ jig is needed to enable the thing to be reassembled and this item costs around £300. I considered buying one but decided against, parts availability for the chrono module is a problem so there’s little incentive for me to get involved with them. As ever, blame the Swiss!

Master
    Enjoyed your thread, good to see an unusual collection.
    Go and try a CAW211P on if you can, the Blue makes even the polished horizontal indices bearable.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrP0XaEH...dium=copy_link.

They can be addictive...

JW

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TZ-UK mobile app

I bought the “original” reissue CS2110 new in the late late 90s and still have it to this day. However, it still irks me that TAG Heuer didn’t put the crown on the left.

Craftsman
    And I thought Panerai all looked the same ……!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Nice collection, and I envy you being able to wear them
    As has already been said, they look like a factory clock attached to my skinny and quite flat wrist.
    I have a friend who has the blue one. It irks me greatly that it looks fabulous on her wrist.

Master

Monaco Madness

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    And I thought Panerai all looked the same ……!

It wouldn’t be a Monaco if it wasn’t square ….Same as Panerai would not be Panerai if it didn’t look like a deformed watering can:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 12th August 2021 at 09:06.

Craftsman
    Lol

For a long while I felt I really wanted a Monaco in my life.

I came very close more than once.

To me it's one of the iconic watch styles, but my enthusiasm for it has waned over time and I no longer feel the urge.

If I did get one it would be a white on black chrono like the CS2110 posted earlier, I don't share the enthusiasm for the colourful ones, especially the Gulf ones - I find the McQueen association rather phoney.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Such a design icon, up there with the Speedmaster Pro and Breitling 806, the classic blue would be my choice, I remember when I started collecting, the vintage ones were quite affordable, not now
    Cheers..
    Jase

Nice to see a collection follow a specific theme.

I for one am a big fan of the blue calibre 11 Monaco (even without the McQueen link) I think this design IMHO has a lot going for it (& at the end of the day thats usually the top thing we look for).

Also looking to sell my Panerai soon & eventually purchase one.

Once I do I'm sure to post on Calibre11.com & here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    For a long while I felt I really wanted a Monaco in my life.

I came very close more than once.

To me it's one of the iconic watch styles, but my enthusiasm for it has waned over time and I no longer feel the urge.

If I did get one it would be a white on black chrono like the CS2110 posted earlier, I don't share the enthusiasm for the colourful ones, especially the Gulf ones - I find the McQueen association rather phoney.

M
    I have to agree, the McQueen factor is a touch phoney . I would chose the blue every time though. The association of Bond with some Rolexes and omegas is a bit yuk too I think. Some other associations with actors are quite cool though .., the Alien watch, the Willard, and the Citizen Bullhead fir example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    look so much better on the bracelet!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    Lol

I do actually like the watering can look…. Especially the luminor submersibles. One of those is definitely on my mental list of watches to own one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to see some appreciation for the Monaco, thank you!

To pick up on some of the comments:

Wits, I'll bear you in mind as me being a potential new home for your Monaco. The Gulf one needs to arrive first.

uktotty, great picture and I love the colouring of of the CAL11 Gulf version. Those horizontal indices really make it a non starter for me. It'll have to be the CAL12 for me, but being a Ltd Ed they're thin on the ground and prices for those available in UK are daft. New one available in Spain for not too much, but postage and VAT is a killer.

Paul, the 'watchman'; yes, servicing is going to be a pain. My understanding is that TAG change the chrono module and refit a refurbished module during service. I'm not clear what other independant service providers do if access to parts for the module is restricted? I assume the base movement is serviced only?

The movie and actor association? Never a consideration for me and agree it's a little phoney. Others seem to buy into it though.

Bracelets. I generally like bracelets on watches, but the Monaco is much better suited to leather IMO.

My wrists are not huge, 7" on a hot day, but fortunately they're flat, broad and thin so the size wears well.

Panerai and 'squashed watering can' had a little chuckle at that...but I like Panerai too :)
    Last edited by jacinabox; 13th August 2021 at 11:56.

Really very special design, not something I have ever owned but wouldn't hesitate. Blue or Gulf for me.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

My Monaco came back from Tag last week - £500 for full service

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    I bought the “original” reissue CS2110 new in the late late 90s and still have it to this day. However, it still irks me that TAG Heuer didn’t put the crown on the left.

I have one of these as well. Previously ‘owned’ by Elton John. Apparently he pre-ordered and paid in full, totally forgot about it and then bought another when he saw one on display. When contacted months later he no longer wanted it and it was resold.

Monaco Madness update post 28

The 'madness' continues!

Spotted a Monaco CAW211C for sale on an online vendors site. A watch I'd often looked at but felt a little unsure of.
    This was a full set having had a documented service from TAG in 2019.
    Described as 'mint' it was not, but nothing bad enough to make me want to return it...just angers me that 'mint' is such a misused term in the used watch world.

I have a friend who likes my Monaco collection and aptly perhaps, describes this one as the formal Monaco. I might be inclined to agree with him.
    Certainly, IMO, it does have an elegant look to it and the brushed silver dial changes from brilliant silver to a more subdued grey silver depending on the light. The orange highlights on the hands further adds to the appeal.

I seem to have collected a few aftermarket deployant straps and I think I can change the looks quite easily from formal with the OE black strap to something a little more sporty perhaps.
    This watch lends itself more to 'look changing' than any of my other Monaco's with simple strap changing.
    I think the orange strap will make a great summer combination.

I do like the HEUER branded deplyant clasp too.

A few pics...thoughts welcome, good or bad!

Last edited by jacinabox; 28th November 2021 at 15:32.

Master
    Nice.

I actually quite like this Monaco. Classy and stylish.

Master
    I've always had a soft spot for the Monaco, partly because I lived there throughout the 90s and because I was bought one as a wedding present by my wife (at the time) who grew up there and knew I liked it!

We can all argue until the cows come home about desirability, cache and rarity, but I think the Monaco is an iconic chronograph. I don't own many chronos but it and my Zenith El Primero both get the most wrist time for similar reasons. Mine came on a bracelet but the fit was a little fiddly so it went on an after-market rallye strap from Watch Gecko. Looks great, in my view...

SGR

Some lovely examples there.

I particularly like the radial baton indices.

Blue dial on a rally strap - classic.

Where's that orange strap from?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments...these Monaco's are real favourites and get more wrist time than any other of my watches.

This latest silver dialed Monaco looks very similar to the titanium model that Max Verstappen wears. It's a Ltd production model and they seem to sell for up to £10k. So I'll be calling mine the thinking (and poor mans) Titan Monaco :)

There is really only one other that I 'need' to complete my collection and that would a Gulf version.
    As much as I've tried to come to terms with oddities of those horizontal indices on the Cal 11 versions, they still jar visually. I know that the watch isn't for me. My only option is the Cal 12 version with the winder and pushers on the same side, but they seem scarce and costly in the UK.
    One day perhaps!

Quote Originally Posted by wits View Post
    Where's that orange strap from?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Came from a seller in the USA via eBay...looks good? Decent quality, takes the OE deployant and well made for ~ £30'ish