closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bedfordshire service recommendations.

Master

Bedfordshire service recommendations.

The power reserve on my UN Dual Time has suddenly dropped to a matter of hours accompanied by a slight clicking when winding and the necessity to wind it for an inordinately long time before the seconds hand starts moving again. I am thus on the lookout for a reputable watch maker who can fettle a base ETA movement.
    I'm based in Bedfordshire and would prefer not to send my watch via post so there seem to be a few options locally:
    Bedford - Clock Wise
    Luton - Bond St Serviceing and The Watch Hospital
    Potton - Tiempo

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the above or an alternative they would recommend within a 30 minute drive of Bedford.

Craftsman
    We have always used John Bull in Bedford for both sales and service and found them to be very good although parking is not easy. https://johnbulljewellers.co.uk/about-us

Richardson of Ampthill, although now based in Maulden have a good reputation.
    https://www.richardsonsclockrepairs.co.uk/

Blog Entries
    Are they still going?

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    For what it is worth, I have used Watch Doctor in Tring a couple of times now, granted it was for relatively simple matters, but easy to work with and did what I asked without any fuss.

I also appreciate they may be a touch more than 30 mins away but it’s an option.

Grand Master
    Sounds like the ratchet wheel has shed some teeth, this happens when the reversers stick and the effort to hand wind increases.....a sign that something’s wrong! A determined owner will wind it regardless and the ratchet wheel will part company with one or more teeth. ETA movements are excellent but some of the components are a bit fragile and don’t like being over- stressed, the ratchet wheel is one if them.

Another weakness is the sliding pinion and winding wheel (parts 407 and 410), the edges of the breguet teeth can fail and the crown will feel like its slipping when hand- winding. This can be a symptom of a more serious problem if the winding wheel has worn into the mainplate, but that usually only happens on old watches that have had a very hard life.

Master
    Thanks for the responses everyone - I'm going to have a ring / e-mail around and see what's what.

CaptainCook - Tring is doable so I'll include them in the search, thanks.

WW - I don;t remember there being any resistance to winding but I have fists of ham so i very well may have done something stupid. This being the first 'decent' watch I've had serviced would the issues mentioned be covered under a normal service or would they be 'additional cost items' charged all that traffic will bear. Sorry for the possibly obvious questions - as I said I lack any experience of this.

Master
    Andrew Charles in North Herts (Little Wymondley) may also be worth contacting. I’ve met him a couple of times and seems like a nice guy (I’ve never had any work done by him though so can’t vouch for that personally, but he has pretty good reputation).

Master
    i have used Clockwise several times for servicing and repairs,excellent work with prompt turnaround.family business with the father working on watches and the son is more clock orientated.

Craftsman
    Bit of a thread resurrection, I'm looking for someone to send my SPB051 to to sort out the timekeeping - it's running about -25s at the moment.

I live pretty close to Tiempo Watch repairs in Potton - has anyone used them for watch servicing?

Thanks,

Dom

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

https://www.watch-hub.co.uk. - opened in Queensgate Peterborough fairly recently - not yet used their services myself.

https://www.themenders.net ... Whittlesey based ... not yet used their services myself .

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    I guess I shall do a follow up post.

I phoned / emailed a few of those mentioned here none got back to me with a quote or even a ‘sorry not interested’. Just stony silence, so rather than give the £1000+ the service / repair actually cost me to a local business, it went to Swiss time services and UN themselves.

I’ll put it down to the pandemic and wish you better luck than I.