closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Barbados in September? Yes, hurricane season.

Barbados in September? Yes, hurricane season.

I guess it's cheap for a reason but...

we'll be fine, won't we?

It's not an actual hurricane that worries me - they seem genuinely rare down that end of the Caribbean but general tropical storms. I guess we'll have some good days, some short, sharp showers and possibly a couple of overcast days. Also, raininess = low season = restaurants closed?

Anyone got experience of Barbados or elsewhere in the S Caribbean in September?

Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 10th August 2021 at 22:51.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I guess it's cheap for a reason but...

we'll be fine, won't we?

It's not an actual hurricane that worries me - they seem genuinely rare down that end of the Caribbean but general tropical storms. I guess we'll have some good days, some short, sharp showers and possibly a couple of overcast days. Also, raininess = low season = restaurants closed?

Huge chance - the season in Barbados is not really open until November, not much is open and the weather is a really mixed bag - often overcast/windy and showers.

We tend to go in January these days for those reasons.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Huge chance - the season in Barbados is not really open until November, not much is open and the weather is a really mixed bag - often overcast/windy and showers.

We tend to go in January these days for those reasons.
    And yet, while I’ve only been to Barbados once, it was a spur of the moment weeks holiday in January. Arrived on the Sunday, and it was Wednesday afternoon before it stopped raining. I was gutted.
    On the flip side I once spent three weeks in the Dominican Republic (September into October) and I didn’t have a days rain.

Master
    I’ve been to Barbados a few times and love it there. Only been December to March though which is the main season (went to St Kitts in summer once).

I’ve a feeling that Barbados tends to avoid the big hurricanes from what I’ve been told. It will possibly rain quite a bit but to be fair it dries very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    And yet, while I’ve only been to Barbados once, it was a spur of the moment weeks holiday in January. Arrived on the Sunday, and it was Wednesday afternoon before it stopped raining. I was gutted.
    On the flip side I once spent three weeks in the Dominican Republic (September into October) and I didn’t have a days rain.
    Hmm... we also have an early December slot in the work diary so maybe that's the one to go for.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I’ve been to Barbados a few times and love it there. Only been December to March though which is the main season...
    From end Dec through to April we tend to look for places with chair lifts and snow which is probably why we've never been to the Caribbean.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Short sharp showers wouldn't worry me at all but for constant rain we can stay in Macclesfield.

FWIW, I've been in St Vincent and the Grenadines in both September and October), my experience was that there was some rain, but the downpours were short (3-4 hours), about 3 times in a week during the morning and the rest of the time the weather was good.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Slightly different but I've been in the middle of a typhoon in Japan and that was OK.

Barbados is far south and only on the edge of the hurricane belt. They haven’t had a major hurricane since 1955.

https://www.jetsetter.com/magazine/c...urricane-belt/

Craftsman
    This may be a useful read.

https://www.responsibletravel.com/ho...-the-caribbean

Regards

V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been to Barbados a few times, sometimes in the early months of the year, but also in September.

My parents go every year, always in September (because commitments at home rule out visiting at other times in the year).

Hurricanes - not a worry. As noted already, Barbados is largely south of the hurricane corridor, so it's only the tail-end of the weather they experience. We've never had an issue, but sometimes strong winds, or rarely flash flooding or travel disruption on the roads.

When it rains - as it is more likely to do in September, it's true - it really does properly rain. It's tropically torrential. However, because it's so warm any rain and standing water clears very quickly once it ends. Oftentimes, the rain comes on quickly and is gone just as quickly, and it's not really a big deal to shelter for just a few minutes to a half hour or so before emerging into glorious sunshine once again. It would be very unlucky to have several consecutive days of wall-to-wall rain such that would ruin a holiday. Normally, you may experience a more overcast day, or a few sporadic showers during the day, just, but still plenty of sun.

The temperature in Barbados in September is pleasant - usually around 30 degrees during the day, and not dipping much, perhaps to low 20's at night. The humidity can be draining. Even in the rainy season, Barbados sees only about one less hour of sunshine than the dry season. The less touristy North & East of the island sees the roughest weather & strongest winds (highly recommend Crane Beach for some great waves), and hilly areas more rain.

In terms of being the off-season, yes, some restaurants will be closed. However, there are still an awful lot that open, including the high-end ones. Certainly, I've never had a problem finding a different restaurant of quality to enjoy every night (that's staying around the Western / St James / Holetown area - more remote areas may differ) and there's still plenty going on besides. Price are a bit lower and the pace is even more relaxed for Barbados (if such a thing is even possible).

Because Barbados is an easy, safe & developed place to visit, there's also lots of other activities - shopping, tourist sites, distillery tours, caves, Bridgetown etc. - to do even when the weather isn't great. It's not like the Dominican Republic, for example, where you rely on weather because you don't really leave the compound, or more remote destinations with nothing much going on beyond the sun-lounger. Travelling around the small island is to be encouraged, especially mixing with the locals where possible (their public transport 'party' buses are a great experience in themselves, one fare price gets you to everywhere and so it's easy to navigate around).

The sea of course is always warm, so if your resort has a beach & included sports activities, it's a good excuse to go snorkeling (fantastic) or something.

Good friend of mine lives there at the moment.

I asked him this morning and he said:

'It should be [fine]. Despite some warnings weather has been pretty good - hot. As it is the tail end of the hurricane season there maybe the odd shower but generally these don't last long. Humidity is quite high.'