closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: UPVC window colour change [wrapping]

Master

UPVC window colour change [wrapping]

When we had our extension built about 6 years ago we decided to go with chartwell green windows and doors, [we intended changing the rest of the windows to match, but we never got around to it].
    Now, we're quite liking the anthracite colour, and we think it would suit the house more so than the chartwell, question is, rather than replace the green windows, [they are quite large windows], is there an option out there to have them wrapped to match whatever we choose for the rest of the house.

Master
    There are lots of companies out there these days that will paint them as opposed to wrapping them.
    I haven’t seen any examples in the flesh though so I couldn’t tell you what the finished article would look like.

Our neighbours recently had new white upvc windows and bifolds fitted, then had them painted anthracite, as that was cheaper than buying anthracite ones! They’ve very happy with the result, but I’m sceptical as to how durable it’ll be.

Our conservatory is green wrap from new but some of it has faded to brown. I think the paint will be equally as good and possibly better.

Craftsman
    A friend had a white (gone off white) PVC front door painted grey by a local company, when I saw it I thought it was a new door. I was very impressed.

Two of our neighbours have had theirs painted grey and they look good and seem to have lasted well. I’ve also read of the wrapping solution but I would think paint would last better or look better.

No association but some good examples in their images

https://www.upvcsprayworks.co.uk/

Would be keen to know what paint is being used generally, or people with real world information on paint for uPVC.

I’ve heard (from the guys in my local Crown Trade Centre) that Sadolin SuperDec is being used in uPVC to great effect. I’ve used it on my gates and it’s super stuff on wood, but I would love to hear any stories of actual plastic frame use….

Master
    Interesting comments regarding paint, I suppose if the preps done correctly, and the paint is made for this application then it should be ok.
    I'm just sceptical about how it would stand up to the weather, and get any sort of warranty, ( 10 years from some companies ).
    Still got to be cheaper than replacing the windows, and they are already a few years old anyway, so nowt to lose really.

Sent from my SM-T590 using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    I’ve seen quite a few done with very mixed results, the best one was the guy who removed the openers, all plastic pipes and gutters and sprayed them on trestles and gave everything quite a lot of prep. At the other extreme was the idiot who prepped nothing, didn’t bother even masking the brickwork and sprayed everything in situ, the overspray was everywhere. They seem to all use cellulose paint and the guy I spoke to said that they put an additive in the paint to help it bond. Pricewise seems to be about £150 a window round here and they are in and out very quick
    As for painting them traditionally it’s not something I’d attempt as the time it would take me wouldn’t make it cost effective plus I couldn’t guarantee any longevity no matter what paint I used

Echo that comment. The chap behind me didn’t know his windows were previously white until I told him they’d been sprayed just before it went on the market. His face turned the colour of the anthracite windows…

I mentioned this thread to her indoors and she launched into a story of her friend who has painted her whole house with paint from a brand called Frenchic. This includes her kitchen cabinets, upvc doors and windows. She even painted her old leather sofa and floor tiles. Thought she had finally lost it but a quick search and found this. Don’t know how well it wears but it has its own Facebook group and everything.

https://frenchicpaint.co.uk/blogs/fr...nt-a-upvc-door

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

My friend had his sprayed grey two years ago
    Still as good as new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk