closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 61 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,050 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    I disagree they’ve done everything that can reasonably be expected. I would reasonably expect not to have a trip hazard on the pavement, which this is. It’s dangerous and not a good option to solve the problem of home charging.
    Lack of purpose built charging understructure is the issue and this needs to be address for all newbuild and redevelopment sites.

As for the situation of nTl. If a risk assessment were carried out the cable tray ramp is used as an additional control to remove or reduce the trip hazard to an acceptable level. Other additional controls could be adequate visibility/lighting and signage.

The Mercedes eqe and eqc appeared on our Arval scheme last week so been to look at them today. Always like the eqc but the range concerns me.

The eqe is an odd looking one but the interior is lovely and watched a couple of POV night drives on YouTube earlier. Wow.

Still not sure whether to cancel my Defender order but having just done 440 mile round trip in my Velar, worked out that’s cost me about £72 whereas the defender it would be £95. Be at least half that in electric. Just run another insurance quote and it’s gone up another 100 quid since last quote 🙁

So getting close to cancelling and ordering something electric. The i4 only comes up in 35 version and the thought of a 75k car on the scheme with a decent range is swaying me. I actually would prefer a model y but the Mercedes is winning me over. Anyone else got an eqc or looked at an eqe?

Picked up an EQC a couple of months ago. The range is not great, but we considered the average use case. It works out fine for the sort of journey that we do 99% of the time. The remaining 1% we will plan the journey accordingly - such as the Uni drop-off for my daughter with her upcoming Masters.
    What kept me awake at night after ordering was the relatively poor miles per kWh. The CarWow review looked to be about 2.3. Other new BEV such as the Megane E-tech is about 4. In our current typical use, we are getting 3.2 so I am happy with that. I am sure that in a few months it will be closer to the 2.3.
    The mass is obvious and the damping is all off so it is not going to worry any corners. Plus points are the refinement, comfort and quiet. Acceleration is incredible, but there are only so many times you can do that. If the EQE had been available and equivalent cost, I would have gone for that. A BEV A-Class would be even better. We looked at Megan, Cupra Born and ID3 and 4. In the end, the EQC was available, not much more and with a better cabin and materials. It also has real buttons for heating, etc.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks. That’s really helpful.

The eqe AMG line is the same cost as the eqc AMG Line on the scheme. Not too sure about the wheels on that version of the eqe and a couple of things I’d love from the premium not included. I’ve had SUVs for years so a saloon would be completely different but I do really like the interior.

Might give them both a try. Eqe definitely better on range but doesn’t sound as bad as I expected based on what you say. Thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I'm not being a general disapproving type. I sometimes have to push a wheelchair with an adult in it and that would definitely be an annoying and pretty risky obstacle.
    Obviously you know your location well, and I don't know it at all so I'll assume your observations of pedestrian activity, or rather lack of, is accurate.
    I know the area well - he's entirely accurate about the (lack of) footfall. I'd also add that this sort of cable routing is highly prevalent across the outer suburbs (think Twickenham, Teddington, Kew - where public transport is often rubbish, cars are used far more than in Central London and locals are keen to use non-polluting cars) and in the main it's done thoughtfully and well. I've not seen or heard of anyone tripping in my locality, and it's not even been raised as a bother by my local busybody, Hungry Bin Woman, who complains about everything.

Sounds like you need to invite her to join us on TZ. She would fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Yep, seems like the used price spread between EV and ICE is as low as it has ever been, and now seems like a great time to privately buy a nearly new EV.

Used EV residual values are still continuing to slide heavily downwards and that will continue well into Q1/Q2 of 2024. And and a great many will be worth less than their ICE cousins before too long as well.

Therefore running one on Contract Hire (or a PCP that you know you will run the full hand back term on) is the best/only way to get into any EV as opposed to buying it outright.
    Last edited by Gareth-W; 29th August 2023 at 12:34. Reason: typo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sounds like you need to invite her to join us on TZ. She would fit right in.
    She's the sort of person you cross the road to avoid when you see her in the street. I've been known to turn on my heel and go back in the house when I saw her looming.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    She's the sort of person you cross the road to avoid when you see her in the street. I've been known to turn on my heel and go back in the house when I saw her looming.
    Can we send her an invite to the BP. Sounds like she would slot straight in.

Master
    Can we send her an invite to the BP. Sounds like she would slot straight in.
    So called because I was being a good boy and pruning a bush in our street because the council seem to have ignored it and it's blocking the pavement. Hungry Bin Woman came over and started talking at me - the council should do this, all the cutbacks, they have to pay for immigrants and that takes our council tax, something should be done .... After about ten minutes of low-level racism, she turned to my pruning efforts, noted that the wheely bin I'd brought over still had space for more clippings and exhorted me to cut more.

Apparently you can't leave a bin hungry ... and thus was born her name.

She's your stereotypical Godbotherer (I've had several handwritten letters from her exhorting me to join the JWs) who somehow seems bereft of any human kindness but who at least unites our street in that absolutely no-one likes her. You'll be unsurprised that she's extremely active on Nextdoor.com

Oh I can see the various claims companies rubbing their hands at the thoughts of someone having an accident whilst tripping over one of these. Can wait to see the advert they use to show the accident haha…

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    You'll be unsurprised that she's extremely active on Nextdoor.com
    Haha makes complete sense

Got to spend her days doing something. Easier than writing complaints letters like she would have done in years gone by.

Claiming it’s a quiet neighbourhood with low footfall is like saying this office doesn’t need to be accessible by wheelchair because nobody disabled works here. It’s 2023 not 1977, I’d be amazed if local councils deem it to be acceptable. I suspect they haven’t got round to it yet tbh?

That looks like the sort of thing you'd use to protect a hose from vehicles.

There are plenty of low profile wheelchair friendly options available from The Ramp People.

https://www.theramppeople.co.uk/cabl...ble-protectors
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    My Taycan broke down for the 2nd time in the 6 months I've had it last week. Pain in the arse I thought but at least it's warrantied.

Got the call from Porsche earlier. They found the problem. Rodent damage!

The little horrors have eaten through the wiring loom! No warranty as it's not Porsches fault. Now have a bill for £4k

Called my mate who runs a BMW franchise and he said that it's more common than you think and something to do with the wires coating being plant based now which the rat or mice like.

Could have done without that news

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Yikes! Time to order some mousetraps for the garage!

Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    Yikes! Time to order some mousetraps for the garage!
    Or get a cat!

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    My Taycan broke down for the 2nd time in the 6 months I've had it last week. Pain in the arse I thought but at least it's warrantied.

Got the call from Porsche earlier. They found the problem. Rodent damage!

The little horrors have eaten through the wiring loom! No warranty as it's not Porsches fault. Now have a bill for £4k

Called my mate who runs a BMW franchise and he said that it's more common than you think and something to do with the wires coating being plant based now which the rat or mice like.

Could have done without that news

Yikes, I don’t suppose this kind of damage is covered under insurance?

Master
    I park it in Liverpool city centre both day and night so could be any location.

Not sure about insurance, wonder how much it would put my premium up if I claimed....

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    I park it in Liverpool city centre both day and night so could be any location.

Not sure about insurance, wonder how much it would put my premium up if I claimed....

Imagine having to draw a picture of a rat gnawing through the wiring in that little box they give you to picture the accident!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Imagine having to draw a picture of a rat gnawing through the wiring in that little box they give you to picture the accident!
    Ha, I might claim just for this

I know some of you still disapprove of the cable protector across the pavement, but I am now starting to see the real benefits of EV driving.

The convenience of charging at home is immense. No popping out for a couple of hours to find and charge on an ultrarapid charge point, or plan a journey to take in a charge point (plus hanging around) for the car to charge. I think I would do an injury to a random pedestrian to have these freedoms (that’s a joke btw).

The first few days have been great. The houses are a good size on my road so a relatively low density of parking and some have driveways, meaning more-often-than-not I get a space outside, or a car length either direction from my house.

It takes me two minutes to set the contraption up as I head off for bed, and one minute to take it down first thing in the morning.

I am getting about 20% charge for my seven-hour cheap overnight which equates to 15 kW or 50 miles. A fill up (250 miles or range) works out at £6.50, eight times less than my previous diesel car.

In fact, with my and my wife’s driving pattern, even if we had a driveway, I am not sure we would bother installing a 7kW home charger. With 7 hours charging per evening the granny cables works fine.

With salary sacrifice, BIK, charging rates and convenience to charge outside my house, I am not going back to ICE.

The convenience of running my petrol car is immense - over 400 miles range, I can fill it up anywhere without waiting or queueing and don’t have to worry about route planning, apps or changing my electricity provider. No trailing cables across the pavement and the car was pretty cheap too. And as I haven’t had a company car in years, I’ve no idea what BIK or salary sacrifice even means……so it’s all relative!

Master
    The convenience of running my petrol car is immense - over 400 miles range, I can fill it up anywhere without waiting or queueing and don’t have to worry about route planning, apps or changing my electricity provider. No trailing cables across the pavement and the car was pretty cheap too. And as I haven’t had a company car in years, I’ve no idea what BIK or salary sacrifice even means……so it’s all relative!
    you have to go somewhere to refuel your car, that must suck.

There’s also a bike thread you can go to to tell everyone about your car!

I know some of you still disapprove of the cable protector across the pavement, but I am now starting to see the real benefits of EV driving.

The convenience of charging at home is immense. No popping out for a couple of hours to find and charge on an ultrarapid charge point, or plan a journey to take in a charge point (plus hanging around) for the car to charge. I think I would do an injury to a random pedestrian to have these freedoms (that’s a joke btw).

The first few days have been great. The houses are a good size on my road so a relatively low density of parking and some have driveways, meaning more-often-than-not I get a space outside, or a car length either direction from my house.

It takes me two minutes to set the contraption up as I head off for bed, and one minute to take it down first thing in the morning.

I am getting about 20% charge for my seven-hour cheap overnight which equates to 15 kW or 50 miles. A fill up (250 miles or range) works out at £6.50, eight times less than my previous diesel car.

In fact, with my and my wife’s driving pattern, even if we had a driveway, I am not sure we would bother installing a 7kW home charger. With 7 hours charging per evening the granny cables works fine.

With salary sacrifice, BIK, charging rates and convenience to charge outside my house, I am not going back to ICE.
    My daughter has had her MG ZSEV for over three years now and still uses the granny cable. Unless she comes to our house where she helps herself to 7kw per hour of our electricity!

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    you have to go somewhere to refuel your car, that must suck.
    I’ve never put the wrong electricity in my EV either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Do they RAC take it out for you if you do get it wrong? ;)

The 5 minute drive is a killer, and the fuel nozzle on my car will only accept a petrol nozzle so I’m saved from myself. Us idiots driving ICE cars need protecting from ourselves! - sometimes I even buy a cheeky Snickers bar to ease the pain of my fortnightly 10 minute chore!

Master
    The 5 minute drive is a killer, and the fuel nozzle on my car will only accept a petrol nozzle so I’m saved from myself. Us idiots driving ICE cars need protecting from ourselves! - sometimes I even buy a cheeky Snickers bar to ease the pain of my fortnightly 10 minute chore!
    10 minute round trip to refuel, sorry for your troubles,

see we can all do that, doesnt add much to the thread tho?

I’m only contributing to give some balance - EV’s get praised for their convenience all the time, but when I see the comments about cables, apps and route planning they look mighty inconvenient to me. Which is why, alongside the cost compared to an ICE vehicle - even though I’ve test driven a couple - I didn’t buy one. Laying a cable across the pavement seems ludicrous to me (no offence to the OP - he’s absolutely entitled to have a different opinion) - but even with a drive and garage and an obvious place to install a home charger, with my family’s annual mileage and circumstances I couldn’t be bothered. Give it a few years and I’m sure I will.

My daughter has had her MG ZSEV for over three years now and still uses the granny cable. Unless she comes to our house where she helps herself to 7kw per hour of our electricity!
    I don’t have to worry about EVs with my son, just the fortune he costs me in beer tokens.

It’s all irrelevant really given that this is a thread about EVs, but it’s not just ten minutes is it? The drive is only part of it, there’s also the refuelling and possibly queuing to pay etc so probably at least twenty minutes from closing your front door to opening it again on your return.

We get that you don’t like EVs but is it really necessary to either slate them or big up your ICE every time someone posts a positive experience.

Everybody knows that both ICE and EV have their pros and cons, it’s just a case of which compromises an individual is happy with. There’s really no need for the animosity.

The same also applies to Bwest76’s comments on the bike thread.

And just for the record, I’m not an EV zealot, my van is EV, our cars are diesel and my bikes are petrol so I have all bases covered.

I’m only contributing to give some balance - EV’s get praised for their convenience all the time, but when I see the comments about cables, apps and route planning they look mighty inconvenient to me. Which is why, alongside the cost compared to an ICE vehicle - even though I’ve test driven a couple - I didn’t buy one. Laying a cable across the pavement seems ludicrous to me (no offence to the OP - he’s absolutely entitled to have a different opinion) - but even with a drive and garage and an obvious place to install a home charger, with my family’s annual mileage and circumstances I couldn’t be bothered. Give it a few years and I’m sure I will.
    Ah yes, the good old balance excuse!

Tag, based off this would you get a proper EV charger installed for faster charging or are you happy with the 3 pin plug?

I don’t have to worry about EVs with my son, just the fortune he costs me in beer tokens.
    With help for her first home, expensive IVF treatments and a wedding, a few electrons isn’t going to break the already broken bank any more than it is already!

Yes they are.

I have, actually had a to pay for a few kwh when the solar/battery ran dry...

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Tag, based off this would you get a proper EV charger installed for faster charging or are you happy with the 3 pin plug?
    For my style of driving, and with the new leccy tariff which gives me 7 hours of cheap leccy, I just don’t need faster charging. 3 pin plug is perfect for me.

The 7 hours on a granny cable gives me 50 miles each day. More than enough.

There doesn’t seem any reason for me to lump up to a grand on a 7kW home charger, and I wouldn’t without a driveway anyway.

The key is the 7 hours cheap leccy with E.ON Next. Any less than the 7 hours and it would be more difficult on a granny cable.

I assume you run your phone on non-rechargeable batteries that you pop to the shop for...?

Master
    The 7 hours on a granny cable gives me 50 miles each day. More than enough.

There doesn’t seem any reason for me to lump up to a grand on a 7kW home charger, and I wouldn’t without a driveway anyway.
    Without wishing to sound alarmist, it would be worth assessing the suitability of the 3 pin socket you’re using, the circuit it’s supplied from as well as the quality and suitability of any extension lead you’re using to get the portable EVSE (granny brick) close enough to the car?

I speak from the point of I’ve seen what happens to a 3 pin 13A socket over time when it’s used for extended periods at 10A when charging something like an EV.

There’s also the issue of no protection against PEN faults using the granny, depending on how your house is earthed.

It’s not just the risk of the charging arrangement itself that should be considered.

I tell you what, I’ll exit this thread - quite disappointing how unfriendly this forum has become. Always makes me laugh how enthusiastic people can get about their toys. My neighbour opposite bangs on about his EV and his solar panels, I’ve done the maths and can’t see how it possibly adds up, he’s just wants to buy toys and that’s fine by me. He’s also one of the most boring, tedious individuals I’ve ever met. The title of this thread isn’t ‘EV’s are brilliant for everyone - please discuss’. Peace out

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Used EV residual values are still continuing to slide heavily downwards and that will continue well into Q1/Q2 of 2024. And and a great many will be worth less than their ICE cousins before too long as well.

Therefore running one on Contract Hire (or a PCP that you know you will run the full hand back term on) is the best/only way to get into any EV as opposed to buying it outright.
    Is buying a used EV becoming a more feasible prospect for your average private user (me included) then? i.e. if used EV values have fallen to become on par with ICE equivalents.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Without wishing to sound alarmist, it would be worth assessing the suitability of the 3 pin socket you’re using, the circuit it’s supplied from as well as the quality and suitability of any extension lead you’re using to get the portable EVSE (granny brick) close enough to the car?

I speak from the point of I’ve seen what happens to a 3 pin 13A socket over time when it’s used for extended periods at 10A when charging something like an EV.

There’s also the issue of no protection against PEN faults using the granny, depending on how your house is earthed.

It’s not just the risk of the charging arrangement itself that should be considered.
    I am no sparky, but we had the consumer unit replaced recently when we had an extension completed. So, it has all the latest RCD trip switches and totally brought up to the latest modern standards. I am working on the basis that any fault will be picked up instantly by the RCD, and trip to safe position.

Plus, the extension cable is fully rated and weatherproof.

I tell you what, I’ll exit this thread - quite disappointing how unfriendly this forum has become. Always makes me laugh how enthusiastic people can get about their toys. My neighbour opposite bangs on about his EV and his solar panels, I’ve done the maths and can’t see how it possibly adds up, he’s just wants to buy toys and that’s fine by me. He’s also one of the most boring, tedious individuals I’ve ever met. The title of this thread isn’t ‘EV’s are brilliant for everyone - please discuss’. Peace out
    I don't see this thread as unfriendly at all. Please stick around. All viewpoints are welcome and required to sanitise some of the initial EV enthusiasm. EVs are not just for those who move to the sunny uplands!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Is buying a used EV becoming a more feasible prospect for your average private user (me included) then? i.e. if used EV values have fallen to become on par with ICE equivalents.
    Yes, depreciation has come to EV-land. You can get a Leaf 30kWh (in good nick with a decent condition battery) for about £6k now - not exactly exciting, but a really cheap commuter. You'll get 100-120 miles of range and they're amazingly reliable.

The forum is definitely unfriendly in places, but I don't think this thread is any more unfriendly than you'd expect the 'George & Dragon' to be.

You got a bit of ribbing because you didn't really talk about EVs, just how much you like goint to the petrol station. We're all aware of how ICE cars work.

Shame you have a tedious neighbour, difficult to avoid. At the end of the day, we're all on this site to talk about toys and getting an EV or solar doesn't have to be just about money.

Master
    Yesterday I saw a garage displaying the Kw cost of the changers alongside the cost of fuel. Times must be moving on.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blimey, IPace prices seems to have practically crashed! 2019, 42k miles, under £23k! 90kwh battery.

Master
    I am no sparky, but we had the consumer unit replaced recently when we had an extension completed. So, it has all the latest RCD trip switches and totally brought up to the latest modern standards. I am working on the basis that any fault will be picked up instantly by the RCD, and trip to safe position.

Plus, the extension cable is fully rated and weatherproof.
    Might be worth asking your electrician to come back and check, explaining what you’re using the 3 pin socket for?

The EV charger circuit, even using a granny, should ideally be on its own with a Type B RCD switch. You might need different earthing arrangements for that socket as well, to be compliant with EV charging regs.

Just trying to be helpful, I always thought a 13A socket is a 13A socket, but I found out there’s a bit more to it.