closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,700 of 1793

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

  1. #1651
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    6,257
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    One thing I've never thought of before in 11 months of EV ownership is being a woman and needing public chargers.

    I'm in a lone charging bay in a leisure centre, off an industrial estate, in the middle of the nowhere right now and at almost 11.30pm it isn't ideal.


    Worst 'I met a trucker in a rest stop' post ever mate! :D

    Seriously though, I had never thought of that but you raise a really valid point; quite scary and would not want my wife there.

    If you ever need a coffee break near J10 on the M4 then give me a shout. No charger for the car though I'm afraid.

  2. #1652
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Worst 'I met a trucker in a rest stop' post ever mate! :D

    Seriously though, I had never thought of that but you raise a really valid point; quite scary and would not want my wife there.

    If you ever need a coffee break near J10 on the M4 then give me a shout. No charger for the car though I'm afraid.
    Good idea thatÖ.once mines switched on which will be hopefully this week, ill stick up the info for my 22kw charger at work. Not far from J17 M4.

  3. #1653
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    15,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Worst 'I met a trucker in a rest stop' post ever mate! :D

    Seriously though, I had never thought of that but you raise a really valid point; quite scary and would not want my wife there.

    If you ever need a coffee break near J10 on the M4 then give me a shout. No charger for the car though I'm afraid.
    Constant thoughts of a specific old Hollyoaks episode throughout. That was in Taunton, no doubt safer than London.

    Likewise for you re a tea/coffee. We're on the border of TOWIE land though, M25 J26. Maybe if you get fake tan curious you'd be local!

  4. #1654
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    14,359
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I used a fast charger in Lewes this weekend. You have to buy a parking ticket and are not allowed to use a bay for more than one hour AND whilst charging only.

    Thank fully my watch told me the car was charged to 85% and stopped after 20min but then had to run back to avoid a ticket. The business model needs work on this.
    Harveyís Brewery car park?

    I never use chargers in Lewes any more as the charger at the school in Ringmer suits my needs better and, being in the school car park, there are no parking charges.

  5. #1655
    What the real world cost to charge an EV if you are not at home?

    I am reading that given much higher leccy costs it can be now more expensive to charge away from home when compared to petrol or diesel costs for an ICE engine.

    If so, it seems to be a significant drawback for running an EV.

  6. #1656
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Harveyís Brewery car park?

    I never use chargers in Lewes any more as the charger at the school in Ringmer suits my needs better and, being in the school car park, there are no parking charges.
    Precisely. Fast, but what a faff.

  7. #1657
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    What the real world cost to charge an EV if you are not at home?

    I am reading that given much higher leccy costs it can be now more expensive to charge away from home when compared to petrol or diesel costs for an ICE engine.

    If so, it seems to be a significant drawback for running an EV.
    I do not have home charging and rely on public charging. I donít do many miles though and annoyingly the range isnít great.

    Cost varies but locally it can be around 35p a kwh on a fast charge which is approx 3 miles. 11.5p a mile. Some chargers cost a lot more, but checking on the various apps means you can usually avoid them.

  8. #1658
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    5,192
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    What the real world cost to charge an EV if you are not at home?

    I am reading that given much higher leccy costs it can be now more expensive to charge away from home when compared to petrol or diesel costs for an ICE engine.

    If so, it seems to be a significant drawback for running an EV.
    Rapid chargers (ie units capable of delivering at least 50kW) vary in price between 25p and 85p per kWh after the recent rises.

    At the lower end of that spectrum youíll likely be using a membership to something like the Ionity network, and at the upper itís Shell Recharge on a turn up and pay basis.

    65p to 79p per kWh seems to be the typical price for the larger more popular networks like Instavolt (66p), Gridserve (59p), MFG (79p), Geniepoint (57p), Osprey (79p) and Ionity without a membership (69p).

    Tesla operate different pricing depending on if itís a non Tesla charging (at the allowed sites) and also what time of day youíre doing it.

    Reference the more expensive than ICE comment, it depends on the EV and the ICE, but a ballpark figure for EV pence per mile based on 3.5 miles per kWh and 65p per kWh is 18.6p.

    Thatís equivalent, at todays fuel price, to a petrol car doing 40mpg or a diesel doing 46mpg, just to give you an idea.

    So Iíd say itís Ďcomparableí rather than more expensive, but home charging is required for a cheaper pence per mile Ďfuelí cost, mine charging at home is 4p per mile, but my longest journeys are a mix of both home and public charging as I set off with a full battery.

  9. #1659
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    15,038
    Charged at the Portsmouth Supercharger around midnight last night, took 45 mins as I needed 100% for today.

    Really should have called ahead as I got to the hotel and the charging was free. £28 down the drain. Facepalm!

  10. #1660
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Rapid chargers (ie units capable of delivering at least 50kW) vary in price between 25p and 85p per kWh after the recent rises.

    At the lower end of that spectrum youíll likely be using a membership to something like the Ionity network, and at the upper itís Shell Recharge on a turn up and pay basis.

    65p to 79p per kWh seems to be the typical price for the larger more popular networks like Instavolt (66p), Gridserve (59p), MFG (79p), Geniepoint (57p), Osprey (79p) and Ionity without a membership (69p).

    Tesla operate different pricing depending on if itís a non Tesla charging (at the allowed sites) and also what time of day youíre doing it.

    Reference the more expensive than ICE comment, it depends on the EV and the ICE, but a ballpark figure for EV pence per mile based on 3.5 miles per kWh and 65p per kWh is 18.6p.

    Thatís equivalent, at todays fuel price, to a petrol car doing 40mpg or a diesel doing 46mpg, just to give you an idea.

    So Iíd say itís Ďcomparableí rather than more expensive, but home charging is required for a cheaper pence per mile Ďfuelí cost, mine charging at home is 4p per mile, but my longest journeys are a mix of both home and public charging as I set off with a full battery.
    Much better answer than mine !

  11. #1661
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Rapid chargers (ie units capable of delivering at least 50kW) vary in price between 25p and 85p per kWh after the recent rises.

    At the lower end of that spectrum youíll likely be using a membership to something like the Ionity network, and at the upper itís Shell Recharge on a turn up and pay basis.

    65p to 79p per kWh seems to be the typical price for the larger more popular networks like Instavolt (66p), Gridserve (59p), MFG (79p), Geniepoint (57p), Osprey (79p) and Ionity without a membership (69p).

    Tesla operate different pricing depending on if itís a non Tesla charging (at the allowed sites) and also what time of day youíre doing it.

    Reference the more expensive than ICE comment, it depends on the EV and the ICE, but a ballpark figure for EV pence per mile based on 3.5 miles per kWh and 65p per kWh is 18.6p.

    Thatís equivalent, at todays fuel price, to a petrol car doing 40mpg or a diesel doing 46mpg, just to give you an idea.

    So Iíd say itís Ďcomparableí rather than more expensive, but home charging is required for a cheaper pence per mile Ďfuelí cost, mine charging at home is 4p per mile, but my longest journeys are a mix of both home and public charging as I set off with a full battery.
    Wonder what profit those companies are making at such prices. Once the facilities are built, overheads must be a lot lower than traditional filling stations who usually claim their margins are small.

  12. #1662
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    5,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Wonder what profit those companies are making at such prices. Once the facilities are built, overheads must be a lot lower than traditional filling stations who usually claim their margins are small.
    Yep, Iíd love to know that as well!

    I think wholesale price is around 22p a kWh isnít it?

    But then thereís transmission fees, wholesale supplier profit and all sorts of other costs on top Iím guessing, but I donít know.

    I think the rapid charge units themselves are pretty expensive, ie 6 figures each, then thereís the install/hardscaping costs, power supply cabinets and leasing/rent of land they sit on.

    Some sort of backend payment system, customer support, and crucially a maintenance and breakdown structure. They also collect the 20% VAT on the price as well.

    The maintenance is something that BP Pulse seems to have forgotten about, so many of their chargers are broken/inoperative.

    Osprey EV charging go into it a bit here, from there perspective. They were up at £1 a kWh at one point.

    https://www.ospreycharging.co.uk/pos...rice-reduction

  13. #1663
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    15,038
    Simpson charger being installed right now. What a relief. No more 2kW!

  14. #1664
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Yep, Iíd love to know that as well!

    I think wholesale price is around 22p a kWh isnít it?

    But then thereís transmission fees, wholesale supplier profit and all sorts of other costs on top Iím guessing, but I donít know.

    I think the rapid charge units themselves are pretty expensive, ie 6 figures each, then thereís the install/hardscaping costs, power supply cabinets and leasing/rent of land they sit on.

    Some sort of backend payment system, customer support, and crucially a maintenance and breakdown structure. They also collect the 20% VAT on the price as well.

    The maintenance is something that BP Pulse seems to have forgotten about, so many of their chargers are broken/inoperative.

    Osprey EV charging go into it a bit here, from there perspective. They were up at £1 a kWh at one point.

    https://www.ospreycharging.co.uk/pos...rice-reduction
    At these prices not much incentive for those w/o home-charging to go electric.

    Any idea what price lamp-post, and similar, charging costs? Councils and the Government should really get involved rather than leaving commercial interests to profit here.

  15. #1665
    i remember the relief when I got mine on-line - seeing 23 mph charge rate makes such a difference.

  16. #1666
    Master reggie747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Mersey Riviera
    Posts
    6,333
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Simpson charger being installed right now. What a relief. No more 2kW!
    I guess it'll save you skulking round car parks at midnight eh ?
    What a faff that is !! 😳

  17. #1667
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    15,038
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I guess it'll save you skulking round car parks at midnight eh ?
    What a faff that is !! ūüė≥
    Oh man, couldn't be happier right now. All done, app is stupid simple and the charge rate is 8.2kW.

    Electric suddenly isn't so bad. I might even chill out on railing Tesla every chance I get.


  18. #1668
    [QUOTE=wileeeeeey;6108850]Oh man, couldn't be happier right now. All done, app is stupid simple and the charge rate is 8.2kW.

    Electric suddenly isn't so bad. I might even chill out on railing Tesla every chance I get.
    /QUOTE]

    Change the car dash display to miles and be even happier with the charge rate.

    Agreed it transforms the EV experience which at 10 A does suck a bit/lot...

  19. #1669
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    589
    Everybody talking about cost - for somebody that rarely does long journeys, I canít tell you how nice it is to wake up to a fully charged car and not have to visit a petrol garage. Even if it cost me the same as a ICE, i still wouldnít go back


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #1670
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,429
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    Everybody talking about cost - for somebody that rarely does long journeys, I canít tell you how nice it is to wake up to a fully charged car and not have to visit a petrol garage. Even if it cost me the same as a ICE, i still wouldnít go back


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think this is where we are.

    It still costs less in any case. Diesel is touching £2 litre I noticed today. Nuts!

  21. #1671
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    Everybody talking about cost - for somebody that rarely does long journeys, I canít tell you how nice it is to wake up to a fully charged car and not have to visit a petrol garage. Even if it cost me the same as a ICE, i still wouldnít go back


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Also rarely do long journeys but never found trip to a petrol garage once a month a big deal.

  22. #1672
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    15,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Also rarely do long journeys but never found trip to a petrol garage once a month a big deal.
    I wish I could say the same for diesel. The local garages regularly seem to run out en-masse, and I twice made it home on fumes prior to the EV purchase.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

  23. #1673
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    Everybody talking about cost - for somebody that rarely does long journeys, I canít tell you how nice it is to wake up to a fully charged car and not have to visit a petrol garage. Even if it cost me the same as a ICE, i still wouldnít go back


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Genuinely - is it really more convenient plugging your car in every other day or so, as opposed to visiting a garage for 10 minutes or so every couple of weeks? I was totally unmoved by my EV driving experience, preferring a car with a gearbox tbh - I didnít find the experience all that different or exciting and nor did my wife. Iíve n fact we both felt car sick for the first time in years. Think Iíll wait another few years tbh - still feels like an option for early adopters who love a gadget. Probably marks me out as a total luddite but Iím happy with that. In 10 years I wonít have an option!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #1674
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Genuinely - is it really more convenient plugging your car in every other day or so, as opposed to visiting a garage for 10 minutes or so every couple of weeks? I was totally unmoved by my EV driving experience, preferring a car with a gearbox tbh - I didnít find the experience all that different or exciting and nor did my wife. Iíve n fact we both felt car sick for the first time in years. Think Iíll wait another few years tbh - still feels like an option for early adopters who love a gadget. Probably marks me out as a total luddite but Iím happy with that. In 10 years I wonít have an option!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Every other day? I charge mine maybe once a week. I can only talk about my personal experience (and I appreciate everybody will have their own) but then the iPace is a great car.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #1675
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    15,540
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Genuinely - is it really more convenient plugging your car in every other day or so, as opposed to visiting a garage for 10 minutes or so every couple of weeks?
    It is so convenient! Not having to leave the driveway, less than 30 seconds to plug in or disconnect and no queuing, fumes or handling a grubby pump. I charge the EV about three times as often as I had to fill up the fairly economical diesel Octavia with the same commute. Obviously this all depends on the range of the EV.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

  26. #1676
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,324
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Genuinely - is it really more convenient plugging your car in every other day or so, as opposed to visiting a garage for 10 minutes or so every couple of weeks? I was totally unmoved by my EV driving experience, preferring a car with a gearbox tbh - I didnít find the experience all that different or exciting and nor did my wife. Iíve n fact we both felt car sick for the first time in years. Think Iíll wait another few years tbh - still feels like an option for early adopters who love a gadget. Probably marks me out as a total luddite but Iím happy with that. In 10 years I wonít have an option!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yes it is, most people will charge once a week to be fair.

    when you say you prefer a gear box, you mean a manual? or just the sensation of gears in an automatic?

  27. #1677
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    19,655
    Most of the service stations here have attendants to pump your gas for you, usually you just pay them cash or card, you don't even have to get out your car, which is nice...don't think I've ever had to queue either, now that I think about it. Rather civilised I think.

  28. #1678
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    14,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Also rarely do long journeys but never found trip to a petrol garage once a month a big deal.
    Itís not a big deal but itís nice when you donít have to go to or even think about going to a garage.

  29. #1679
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Itís not a big deal but itís nice when you donít have to go to or even think about going to a garage.
    Yes, will look forward to that freedom.

    Though, on the other hand, never have to Ďgrab a coffeeí while Iím refuelling as many here seem to.

  30. #1680
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    5,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes, will look forward to that freedom.

    Though, on the other hand, never have to Ďgrab a coffeeí while Iím refuelling as many here seem to.
    With charge speeds of EVs increasing, and the proliferation of faster chargers, even that luxury that I used to enjoy whenever I stopped on a long journey is becoming a rush.

    Our ID.4 charges at 2.25kWh a minute, and our Tesla even faster, and a max 10 minute stop is becoming the norm even on a 300 mile journey. On such a run Iíd be stopping anyway, even if I was in my old diesel that could do 5-600 on a tank.

    There are pros and cons, as ever, itís just different to what most people are used to.

  31. #1681
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes, will look forward to that freedom.

    Though, on the other hand, never have to Ďgrab a coffeeí while Iím refuelling as many here seem to.
    again when people refer to grabbing a coffee its normally because they have stopped to charge on a long 4-5 hour drive (most normal use case for a fast charger). The sensible thing to do is grab a coffee or some other caffeinated beverage.

  32. #1682
    Plus doesnít the Highway Code recommend at least a 15 minute break for every 2 hours driven.

    In my ICE days I would even stop to grab a coffee and not fill up the car. Now that I have the Tesla I canít say my long drive habits have changed much apart from ensuring there is a charger available if required at my chosen stop

  33. #1683
    Just joined the EV club and today ordered a Volvo C40 for expected delivery around May 2023. It is through the salary sacrifice scheme.

    I donít have a driveway, but will use the cheap chargers provided in the work car park.

  34. #1684

    Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    yes it is, most people will charge once a week to be fair.

    when you say you prefer a gear box, you mean a manual? or just the sensation of gears in an automatic?
    Yes, a manual gear shift - not the sensation, more the involvement. Maybe Iím weird but my wifeís the same. I should add we live in a rural location with country lanes so traffic jams or heavy traffic arenít really a factor. I donít even think about changing gear most of the time. I was surprised I didnít really enjoy my EV experience, re-reading my post I sound like a grumpy git which really isnít the case I promise!! - our local petrol station is also the local Waitrose so I donít mind a visit there tbh. Itís also rural with rarely any queue.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  35. #1685
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,205
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Yes, a manual gear shift - not the sensation, more the involvement. Maybe Iím weird but my wifeís the same. I should add we live in a rural location with country lanes so traffic jams or heavy traffic arenít really a factor. I donít even think about changing gear most of the time. I was surprised I didnít really enjoy my EV experience, re-reading my post I sound like a grumpy git which really isnít the case I promise!! - our local petrol station is also the local Waitrose so I donít mind a visit there tbh. Itís also rural with rarely any queue.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I live in a rural location too and find my Cupra Born masses of fun on the twisty stuff, it really is satisfying setting it up for a bend using the B mode, then enjoying the instant thrust out of the bend. I think you've only driven the MG, I suspect that something like the Born is somewhat more fun in the bends than that but obviously I haven't driven the MG.

    I have an MX-5 and old Fireblade of course so can also have old school fun as well.

    TBH I think both are fun, and involving, just different.

  36. #1686
    I am looking at the cheaper end of the EV market (I have spoken to VW about the ID3 and 4 - looking at 18 months plus at present) - Iíve always had European cars and might be a bit biased against the styling and trim of Korean and Chinese cars. Had a few Japanese bikes though!
    I think Iíll wait a bit longer until the tech at the cheaper end catches up a bit, and hopefully if I decide to spend a bit more Iím not faced with a wait measured in years!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  37. #1687
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,205
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I am looking at the cheaper end of the EV market (I have spoken to VW about the ID3 and 4 - looking at 18 months plus at present) - Iíve always had European cars and might be a bit biased against the styling and trim of Korean and Chinese cars. Had a few Japanese bikes though!
    I think Iíll wait a bit longer until the tech at the cheaper end catches up a bit, and hopefully if I decide to spend a bit more Iím not faced with a wait measured in years!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The way it seems to work is that if you order off the order book it will take ages but if you look on Autotrader/Ebay or ask your dealer for a "cancelled order" you'll get one, as long as you are ok with the spec. I got my Born that way (Born is an ID3 in a party frock and sportier handling). Spec was pretty much what I wanted so all good. Aside from the fact that the software is bit iffy I'm very happy with it.

  38. #1688
    Master gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3,773
    C40 just arrived (that's the delivery driver)...


  39. #1689
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    southampton
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    C40 just arrived (that's the delivery driver)...

    2


    Looking at ordering one of these through salary sacrifice. Alot of car with the money!!!

  40. #1690
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    C40 just arrived (that's the delivery driver)...

    It looks sharp.

    I just ordered one of those yesterday in the same colour. That looks like the top of the range model with 20 inch alloys. I ordered the poverty spec Core model, with a not so poverty spec, and then added the climate pack.

    How long did it take from order? The estimate I have is 28 weeks, but who knows if that is realistic. Time will tell. Iím not in a major rush as I will run my ICE car until it arrives.

    It will be interesting to update the thread with real world range and how you find the car, if you donít mind.

  41. #1691
    Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    Looking at ordering one of these through salary sacrifice. Alot of car with the money!!!
    Mine is costing me £350 pcm net using salary sacrifice including BIK and a couple of options. That 36 months 8k miles per annum. That is for £48k P11D.

    An absolute bargain. The leasing company said Volvo have some big short term discounts at the moment which will finish very soon.

  42. #1692
    Master gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3,773
    This is on a company car scheme so tax savings paying for most of it. Ordered in Feb I think, with initial delivery date of August.

    Will update on mileage once it's been driven for a while. Might depend on how the 400 horses are deployed...


  43. #1693
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Staffs.
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    This is on a company car scheme so tax savings paying for most of it. Ordered in Feb I think, with initial delivery date of August.

    Will update on mileage once it's been driven for a while. Might depend on how the 400 horses are deployed...

    Well, since my musings, earlier in this thread, the temps have dropped quite a bit and now Iím struggling to get 2.5 miles per kWh. You might not be far off either as the grim-inducing acceleration is hard to resist

  44. #1694
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    southampton
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Mine is costing me £350 pcm net using salary sacrifice including BIK and a couple of options. That 36 months 8k miles per annum. That is for £48k P11D.

    An absolute bargain. The leasing company said Volvo have some big short term discounts at the moment which will finish very soon.

    Incredible isnt it! almost has you asking "whats the catch". Close enough price to what I have been quoted but I have been setting the miles at 10k so just a few quid more.

    Good luck with it! I will be looking to place an order in the coming days :)

  45. #1695
    Master Alex L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Northants
    Posts
    1,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Yep, Iíd love to know that as well!

    I think wholesale price is around 22p a kWh isnít it?

    But then thereís transmission fees, wholesale supplier profit and all sorts of other costs on top Iím guessing, but I donít know.

    I think the rapid charge units themselves are pretty expensive, ie 6 figures each, then thereís the install/hardscaping costs, power supply cabinets and leasing/rent of land they sit on.

    Some sort of backend payment system, customer support, and crucially a maintenance and breakdown structure. They also collect the 20% VAT on the price as well.

    The maintenance is something that BP Pulse seems to have forgotten about, so many of their chargers are broken/inoperative.

    Osprey EV charging go into it a bit here, from there perspective. They were up at £1 a kWh at one point.

    https://www.ospreycharging.co.uk/pos...rice-reduction
    The answer is very little profit at 79p, just look at the company accounts.

  46. #1696
    Master gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Well, since my musings, earlier in this thread, the temps have dropped quite a bit and now Iím struggling to get 2.5 miles per kWh. You might not be far off either as the grim-inducing acceleration is hard to resist
    Wife nearly threw up when I floored it and asked, in no uncertain terms, that I avoid doing that again...

  47. #1697
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I do not have home charging and rely on public charging. I donít do many miles though and annoyingly the range isnít great.

    Cost varies but locally it can be around 35p a kwh on a fast charge which is approx 3 miles. 11.5p a mile. Some chargers cost a lot more, but checking on the various apps means you can usually avoid them.
    Luckily my work has around 70 7kW chargers installed and the cost is 2p/kWh, so £1.38 for a fill up.

    This was the main reason I ordered a leccy car as I also donít have a driveway at home, so plan to charge at work.

    Even when not in the office, I live only 6 miles away, so plan somehow to shuttle if I need a top up.

  48. #1698
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,026
    Question for the EV owners.

    What is the protocol when some selfish twat leaves their fully charged car plugged into the only compatible charger?

    I tied to unplug it and it was locked- bloody annoying. Yes, I know I should not touch it but the display shows it finished charging 2 hrs earlier.

    Bloody annoying.

  49. #1699
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    21,406
    I wouldnít entertain an electric vehicle without a home off-street parking/charging facility, but it seems like the lure of cheap running costs and BIK is too tempting for some.

    I donít plan to get an EV anytime soon, but lack of driveway space wonít be a problem, Iíve now got room to park 6 cars plus one in the garage. After 3 weeks of inconvenience plus an eye- watering bill the whole lot has now been resurfaced, it should out-last me!

    If everyone changed to EVs and charged at home, where would all the extra leccy come from and how would the distribution network cope with the additional load? Have the laws of physics changed recently?

  50. #1700
    Master reggie747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Mersey Riviera
    Posts
    6,333
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Question for the EV owners.

    What is the protocol when some selfish twat leaves their fully charged car plugged into the only compatible charger?

    I tied to unplug it and it was locked- bloody annoying. Yes, I know I should not touch it but the display shows it finished charging 2 hrs earlier.

    Bloody annoying.
    There is none, they're just selfish twats !!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information