closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 24 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    In your opinion, that's all.

Wasn't it you saying, few years ago, that under-road charging would be here in 10 years. That's all gone very quiet!
    In my opinion yes. It makes absolutely no sense.

I never said that under Road charging would be here in ten years as I don’t have a crystal ball. What I said was that it was proven on a small scale and could be done on a larger scale. It would take commitment and huge investment but would solve a lot of the current shortcomings of BEV vehicles.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DiXoN View Post
    Thanks, that’s pretty much what I thought. I’m going to have a look at one next week and see if it’s for me before I pull the trigger but it looks like it’s going to be quite a few months before they are built and get one.
    How did you get on with the seat/Cupra? I like the look of them but reviews say they are not a sporty fun drive despite the badge and looks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    How did you get on with the seat/Cupra? I like the look of them but reviews say they are not a sporty fun drive despite the badge and looks.
    Ive read those reviews as well, they were based on the std 204bhp original version. I’ve not been to look at one yet and the E Boost version I’m after hasn’t been released, they are supposed to have bigger brakes and an extra 27bhp, I was going to look at the dynamic suspension option as well.
    I’m going to speak to one of my mates who’s just got an ID3 and see what he says about living with it day to day. I’ll post on here after I’ve sorted a test drive as well, I do like the look of the Cupra over the VW plus I’ve got a Golf GTi if I want sporty.

Master
    Blog Entries

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Thanks Dixon, happy car shopping

New hybrid owner here

Impressed so far

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I'm having just a supply cable installed. Consumer unit is under the stairs, cable to go under the hallway floor up into the porch then into an adjacent store. It's in readiness for fitting a charger in the future as not sure yet what I'll need. Work includes adding an additional fuse enclosure and splitting the supply with a Kenley block. Terminating in some kind of junction box. £500. Reckon better to do it now than in a year or two when the same work will be double. The electrician has to fit two cables, electrical supply and data.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I'm having just a supply cable installed. Consumer unit is under the stairs, cable to go under the hallway floor up into the porch then into an adjacent store. It's in readiness for fitting a charger in the future as not sure yet what I'll need. Work includes adding an additional fuse enclosure and splitting the supply with a Kenley block. Terminating in some kind of junction box. £500. Reckon better to do it now than in a year or two when the same work will be double. The electrician has to fit two cables, electrical supply and data.
    Everyone is going for 7kw these days and type 2 plug. The only question really is tethered or untethered.

Craftsman
    Just bought a Jaguar I-Pace, pick it up next weekend.

Switched over to Octopus in preparation of transferring over to their Octopus Intelligent EV tariff.

7.5p per KWh between 23:30 and 05:30 plus additional hours when greenest, 35p outside of this fixed for 12 months. Not bad if currently on a variable tariff and expecting a 42% increase come October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Everyone is going for 7kw these days and type 2 plug. The only question really is tethered or untethered.
    I went tethered. The thought of messing about trying to get my cable out of the boot in the rain was a no-no.

Yeah, just really about choosing which charger looks best. Though because I'm not in a position to buy an EV yet, I haven't done the research and don't really know much about the subtle differences between them all. When I get a car, I'll research it to the nth degree.

Master
    The charging facilities in the UK definitely seem to be improving rapidly now that it’s clear the adoption of EVs is taking off. We just completed 600+ miles in our E-tron in the last few days and with a bit of planning was able to combine charging at 50 or 150kw with a lunch break en route so no unnecessary sitting around waiting for the car to be ready. We didn’t need to wait for a charger at any of the stops either.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Does anyone know whether the withdrawal of the EV grant affects people who have already ordered a car and paid a deposit but still awaiting a delivery date ? Many thanks

An untethered plug that could be left tethered but taken off if needed elsewhere would seem a good idea (to me anyway!). Obviously might need locking. Maybe there is such a thing?
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 14th June 2022 at 20:09.

Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    Does anyone know whether the withdrawal of the EV grant affects people who have already ordered a car and paid a deposit but still awaiting a delivery date ? Many thanks
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...hicle-charging

"All existing applications for the grant will continue to be honoured and where a car has been sold in the 2 working days before the announcement, but an application for the grant from dealerships has not yet been made, the sale will also still qualify for the grant."

Weird how little coverage there is on this, it's almost like they've used some other travel related news as cover...

Craftsman
    Picked up a Jaguar I-Pace at the weekend, very fortunate to have a free BP Pulse 50kwh charger in the car park opposite us which will give us a full charge in a little over an hour.

Loving the BEV life so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...hicle-charging

"All existing applications for the grant will continue to be honoured and where a car has been sold in the 2 working days before the announcement, but an application for the grant from dealerships has not yet been made, the sale will also still qualify for the grant."

Weird how little coverage there is on this, it's almost like they've used some other travel related news as cover...
    Many thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    You should be ok, but check the supplying dealer has registered the order on the grant portal, they should know what you’re on about.

I’d they haven’t done that yet, there’s still 24 hours or so, but they should have done it when they ordered the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    You should be ok, but check the supplying dealer has registered the order on the grant portal, they should know what you’re on about.

I’d they haven’t done that yet, there’s still 24 hours or so, but they should have done it when they ordered the car.
    Thanks, I was asking for a Mate, he has an Enyaq on order, I will tell him to check with his Skoda Dealer

An untethered plug that could be left tethered but taken off if needed elsewhere would seem a good idea (to me anyway!). Obviously might need locking. Maybe there is such a thing?
    Your car is usually supplied with a lead which can be used either at home in your untethered charger or whilst out and about at (usually) 7kw chargers.

Having a tethered charger at home just saves the inconvenience of getting the charger lead out of your car when at home.

I have a tethered charger at home and a lead in the van which I seldom use. I also have a granny charger (3pin plug) which can be used anywhere there’s a standard plug point.

Craftsman
    Thanks Dixon, happy car shopping
    Test drove a V2 Born E Boost 58kwh last week and it’s great so wanted one. The salesman mentioned they had 4 new stock cars available and I went in on Saturday to order a new build but to also check out the stock cars. After checking a few forums and social media groups it looks like to get everything I want it would be 9-12 month which the dealer confirmed.
    I ended up compromising on the colour as I wanted the blue and ended up with the pearl white, it’ll be ready in 2 weeks although I’ve asked for around 3-4 weeks as I’m on holiday in 2. This way will save loads of fuel costs and I’ll get full whack on my trade in, I do like the white as well, it looks either gray or white depending on the light.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Test drove a V2 Born E Boost 58kwh last week and it’s great so wanted one. The salesman mentioned they had 4 new stock cars available and I went in on Saturday to order a new build but to also check out the stock cars. After checking a few forums and social media groups it looks like to get everything I want it would be 9-12 month which the dealer confirmed.
    I ended up compromising on the colour as I wanted the blue and ended up with the pearl white, it’ll be ready in 2 weeks although I’ve asked for around 3-4 weeks as I’m on holiday in 2. This way will save loads of fuel costs and I’ll get full whack on my trade in, I do like the white as well, it looks either gray or white depending on the light.
    Nice one - thanks for the feedback and congrats on the purchase.

The lead in times for a car purchase these days is crazy.

Master
    Took delivery of mine today.

I went the other way round, blue was the colour I really wanted (unusually both I and her indoors like it!) and sacrificed the e boost to get one quickly.

No regrets, I was able to take it for a spirited drive this evening and really enjoyed it, for what I want it for it will do very nicely, it feels much nippier than the quoted 0-60 times suggest albeit it starts to run out of puff over 60. I did about 140 miles today and had 85 miles left at the end of it so happy with that bearing in mind the aforementioned spirited driving.

Software is a bit glitchy but worked round most of it (sale person doing the handover was utterly clueless which didn't help!).

I might be in a minority but I quite like the haptic controls!

All in all very pleased so far.

Craftsman
    Nice one - thanks for the feedback and congrats on the purchase.

The lead in times for a car purchase these days is crazy.
    They are mental at the moment and I couldn’t wait that long. I’ll add some updates when I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Took delivery of mine today.

I went the other way round, blue was the colour I really wanted (unusually both I and her indoors like it!) and sacrificed the e boost to get one quickly.

No regrets, I was able to take it for a spirited drive this evening and really enjoyed it, for what I want it for it will do very nicely, it feels much nippier than the quoted 0-60 times suggest albeit it starts to run out of puff over 60. I did about 140 miles today and had 85 miles left at the end of it so happy with that bearing in mind the aforementioned spirited driving.

Software is a bit glitchy but worked round most of it (sale person doing the handover was utterly clueless which didn't help!).

I might be in a minority but I quite like the haptic controls!

All in all very pleased so far.
    Thanks for the info, I’ll wait and make my own mind up on the controls just like you have and don’t think I’ll have an issue with it.

I’m looking forward to getting mine as I’ve had my scirocco a bit too long, still have a Golf GTi if I want to go old school.

I placed an order for a Cupra Born at the weekend too. It's through a company EV salary sacrifice scheme so no idea on lead times yet, but the order is in at least.

I went with a V2, 58KW with eBoost, Rayleigh Red, Tech Pack M, Cargo Pack, and Beats audio.

The test drive was great, it wasn't in an eBoost model and it definitely ran out of puff at motorway speeds, but everything else was great and hopefully the magic eBoost button makes up for some of that!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cupra Born on top gear. Annoyingly looks like my new job will be a train commute

I’d forgotten this one, a few years ago I changed the brake pads on my neighbours Volvo, three weeks later he put it in for a service at the main dealer, they called him to say he needed new front brake pads, he hasn’t been back to them since. He says he won’t buy another new Volvo

We've had a 19 plate i3S for a couple of weeks now. In theory it's my wife's. In reality this proper petrolhead is loving BEV life so far.

If there is a space for EVs only with chargers attached (the idea being pay for charging and not parking-pay and display car park) do we think it would be ok to park there and not charge if in an EV?

No. That’s like parking in a Parent and Child space and saying ‘my kids at home’.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If there is a space for EVs only with chargers attached (the idea being pay for charging and not parking-pay and display car park) do we think it would be ok to park there and not charge if in an EV?
    Asking to get vehicle damaged by annoyed EV users wanting to charge.

Ask yourself how you would feel if you needed to charge but couldn’t because another car (ICE, hybrid or EV) was just parked there.

That should answer your question.

Sorry I've completely messed up.

The chargers are broken which is the only reason I'd want to park there and not charge.

I could do with a charge and would pay but they're out of action.

It's one of these and none on the entire strip are working.

Master

The chargers are broken which is the only reason I'd want to park there and not charge.

I guess you could just plug your charge lead in and pretend to be charging

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Is the rest of the car park full or something?

They may come back online at any point presumably, so I still wouldn’t want to be parked there and not charging if they did.

Is it Regus who own/operate the car park and chargers? What do they say?

Is the rest of the car park full or something?

They may come back online at any point presumably, so I still wouldn’t want to be parked there and not charging if they did.

Is it Regus who own/operate the car park and chargers? What do they say?
    I asked the hotel reception and they've been off for months apparently.

Owned by the council, just regular high street parking, nothing to do with Regus or any other business.

Master
    I asked the hotel reception and they've been off for months apparently.

Owned by the council, just regular high street parking, nothing to do with Regus or any other business.
    Are they the only free spaces in an otherwise packed car park?

What do the car park restrictions say?

I think I’d be getting in touch with the charge point operators and asking them why they’re not working and when they’re going to be fixed.

Craftsman
    I've got a Polestar 2 on order. Estimated delivery went from November to Jan 2023 overnight, unfortunately the latter for me.

Tried to temper my disappointment by purchasing an MX-5 as a stopgap :)

Blog Entries
    So good to see so many great cars coming to the market.

I returned to mine this afternoon at the free Tesco Pod and a couple in their 70’s were trying to sort their week old Peugeot out on the next door charger. Soon had them sorted and spent 10 mins chatting with them. You wouldn’t see this at a petrol pump.

I’m nearly two years in and ev usage has been a breeze and very very cheap.

All those dipping their toes will not be disappointed

Pitch

Master
    What bugs me about EV’s is not the cars themselves (they are great) but the ignorant fools who jump on the EV bashing bandwagon.
    Just last week a guy on Facebook was claiming that the batteries will only last between 5-7 years depending on how they are charged and poor resale value.
    Couldn’t help myself. I had to point out that there were 11 year old Nissan Leafs on the road and 8 year old Tesla models S’ on the road and the cheapest model S on autotrader last week was 30K.
    I’ve run mine as a taxi since last September and it’s cost me peanuts to run compared to my last ICE taxi, I try telling my colleagues that there are very few downsides (range being the only one really) but again, they just throw up all the usual totally wrong arguments.

What bugs me about EVs is not the cars themselves but the smug evangelistic owners.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    Picked up a Jaguar I-Pace at the weekend, very fortunate to have a free BP Pulse 50kwh charger in the car park opposite us which will give us a full charge in a little over an hour.

Loving the BEV life so far.

Wow, who picks up the tab for that then??

Master
    What bugs me about EVs is not the cars themselves but the smug evangelistic owners.
    Lol! I haven’t seen any of those on here to be fair, but if patiently explaining the pros and cons of owning and driving an EV to those who are interested along with pointing out the untruths when people post baloney about them makes us ‘smug’, then that’s on you really isn’t it.

I’m struggling to see why anybody owning an EV should ‘bug’ you, it impacts you how exactly?

There’s lots of people (and threads) who evangelise about all sorts of things I’m not interested in, I ignore them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Wow, who picks up the tab for that then??
    It’s in a Premier Inn car park but free with a BP Pulse membership (£7pm), we received a 12 month complimentary membership with the car.

2x 50kWh rapid chargers and 3x 7kWh chargers available

Master
    It’s in a Premier Inn car park but free with a BP Pulse membership (£7pm), we received a 12 month complimentary membership with the car.

2x 50kWh rapid chargers and 3x 7kWh chargers available

Presumably it’s free only on the 7kW chargers?

When I had my Pulse membership 7kW were included in the membership and the 50kW rapids were at a reduced price compared to pay as you go.

When I had my Pulse membership 7kW were included in the membership and the 50kW rapids were at a reduced price compared to pay as you go.
    They exist but they're rare. Use these filters to see.

Master
    They exist but they're rare. Use these filters to see.
    Cool, cheers!

Lol! I haven’t seen any of those on here to be fair, but if patiently explaining the pros and cons of owning and driving an EV to those who are interested along with pointing out the untruths when people post baloney about them makes us ‘smug’, then that’s on you really isn’t it.

I’m struggling to see why anybody owning an EV should ‘bug’ you, it impacts you how exactly?

There’s lots of people (and threads) who evangelise about all sorts of things I’m not interested in, I ignore them.
    It impacts me in the same way that the poster posting immediately before me is impacted.

Master
    It impacts me in the same way that the poster posting immediately before me is impacted.
    Hardly the same is it. He was tackling the misinformation around them, you were labelling everybody who owns or wants an EV and talks about it as some kind of ‘evangelist’, and smug.

You just used it as an excuse for an insult.

Craftsman

Nope, both 50kWh and 7kWh chargers are free

Master
    Nope, both 50kWh and 7kWh chargers are free

That’s a good deal then considering the current cost of public rapid charging. 👍