closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 696

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

  1. #51
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    280
    When driving along many streets in both towns and city's seeing all the cars parked at the roadside with no facility's to charge I would recon huge investment is needed before these type of vehical are attractive to all.

    Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

  2. #52
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    4,772
    We’re an all EV household now, and wouldn’t go back to ICE.

    We have an ID.3 and Tesla M3 LR, both good cars that meet our needs.

    One thing to think about, the Supercharger network is being opened up to non Tesla’s at some point soon, according to Musk anyway.

    It would appear to be a gradual process and over time, and seems designed to drive extra revenue as well as potentially expand the network via grants and other manufacturers investment.

    The other networks are building fast now as well, Gridserve have taken over the chargers at service areas, and they are building hubs and expanding the connectors to accommodate the growth.

    With home charging, EVs make a lot of sense, public charging for longer trips is more expensive, but then so is a coffee from Costa or Starbucks. It’s catering for a different need.

  3. #53
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    4,772
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    When driving along many streets in both towns and city's seeing all the cars parked at the roadside with no facility's to charge I would recon huge investment is needed before these type of vehical are attractive to all.

    Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app
    It’s exactly the solution to the problem, charge cars where they park up, including those at the side of the road.

  4. #54
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,107
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Can one of you describe a typical trip to the country from London.

    Let's say it's 300 miles each way.

    Compared with an ICE car, what is the increase in time and hassle like?

    Let's say you spend two weeks in the rural location.
    Not quite but Lowestoft to York to see big son and his tribe, 210 miles door to door.

    Cut across to Grantham Tesla SC, 20 minutes whilst we have a coffee and a pee then straight to York. Two days pottering from hotel to his and back and out and about and then same on the trip back home. Car was telling me 25 minutes charge to get home but had a burger and ended up there for 30 mins. Job done.

    A regular round trip for me on site visits is Lowestoft-Haverhill-Cambridge-Attleborough-Lowestoft. Always stop at Elveden SC for 30 mins for a cuppa and emails.

    As I mentioned above, I would not put complete trust the public network.

    Pitch

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Skoda or Mercedes I just couldn't imagine paying £455 per month. Might be different if I owned a business or it was via a company cars scheme but that's big money although I'm probably out of touch here.


    The new Taycan cross turismo (estate) would be my lottery win car.
    Im currently paying £480 for my Disco Sport so at £503 it’s comparable. The saving will be in the fuel used without doubt as I’ll be essentially cutting my costs by over 2/3rds. There is of course the argument that I could be driving around in a small city car which would clearly be a lot cheaper and better on fuel but I think you either want a car like that or you don’t. Personally I don’t and I’d prefer a bit of luxury and space for the hounds.

  6. #56
    I have yet to see an EV with a tow bar fitted.
    Anyone know of an estate EV which fully loaded would tow my caravan on a 300 mile around trip for a weekend in the country?

  7. #57
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    It’s exactly the solution to the problem, charge cars where they park up, including those at the side of the road.
    This of course but needs a huge investment chargers at park and rides in lamp posts etc and in the thousands nationwide each with payment facilities its a big ask I recon

    Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

  8. #58
    Grand Master AlphaOmega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Trinovantum
    Posts
    11,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Not quite but Lowestoft to York to see big son and his tribe, 210 miles door to door.

    Cut across to Grantham Tesla SC, 20 minutes whilst we have a coffee and a pee then straight to York. Two days pottering from hotel to his and back and out and about and then same on the trip back home. Car was telling me 25 minutes charge to get home but had a burger and ended up there for 30 mins. Job done.

    A regular round trip for me on site visits is Lowestoft-Haverhill-Cambridge-Attleborough-Lowestoft. Always stop at Elveden SC for 30 mins for a cuppa and emails.

    As I mentioned above, I would not put complete trust the public network.

    Pitch
    Thanks Pitch.

    That is easily do-able.

    Think I'm beginning to change my mind.

    It's good to hear as I think your capacity for hassle is similar to mine.

    When I read reviews on Google there is always so much variation in experience.

  9. #59
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,665
    We've had an ID3 for a few weeks now.

    Positive:

    - dirt cheap lease via work (NHS), just over £200 per month including insurance; did mean restricted choice of colour and spec
    - extremely cheap to run
    - lots of kit
    - quick!
    - spacious inside
    - very comfortable
    - quiet
    - super on long journeys
    - pretty good range for local journeys
    - free charging point installation and 4g connection

    Negative:

    - missing a couple of features we'd got used to (autolock and reversing camera)
    - range much diminished on motorway drives
    - hit and miss on charging out and about

    We did a long trip (Bromley in Kent to Liverpool) recently, visit Haywood's shop to pick up a watch. The car nav identified a charging station, but when we got there it wouldn't work. Managed to get to the next one- it was an anxious time, mind. Next time we will stick to charging at motorway/ major A-road services- there are more and they tend to be working. On the plus side, we charged up at a car park over night in Liverpool, and the spa hotel we used on the way home had just installed chargers, and we got powered up for free!

    I'm not sure we will go back to ICE. Although we do have a second vehicle- 2011 Brazilian made VW T2 camper, which has a 1.4 Polo engine in it.

  10. #60
    Grand Master JasonM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    14,920
    Just thinking about home charging, how big would a portable power pack have to be that you could take from your house to your on street parked EV ? It would have to be secured in some way though of course. Is it feasible?
    Cheers..
    Jase

  11. #61
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,107
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Thanks Pitch.

    That is easily do-able.

    Think I'm beginning to change my mind.

    It's good to hear as I think your capacity for hassle is similar to mine.

    When I read reviews on Google there is always so much variation in experience.
    No worries.

    I really did want an I pace when ordering June last year as a hatch would be more useable but it came down to the two things that are the biggy with EV’s, speed of charge and range, the Model 3 was a no brainier. I considered a Model S but the switchgear seemed dated and having had big SUV’s I thought I would try something smaller again.

    My out was always hand down to one of my staff if I did not get on with the Model 3 or the EV experience proved a ball ache. As I mentioned earlier I would not return to an ICE car by choice, I absolutely love my Performance, the front view aside of courses YUK.

    Pitch

  12. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Just thinking about home charging, how big would a portable power pack have to be that you could take from your house to your on street parked EV ? It would have to be secured in some way though of course. Is it feasible?
    Presumably for a full charge would have to be as big as the car's own battery.

  13. #63
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,107
    Blog Entries
    1
    Fella on the Lane is an RAC man. They are moving to four wheel bogies for towing EV’s with flat batteries and the new vans are ditching all the carried useful stock for power packs to boost enough for 20 ish miles.

    Pitch

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Just thinking about home charging, how big would a portable power pack have to be that you could take from your house to your on street parked EV ? It would have to be secured in some way though of course. Is it feasible?
    One of those Honda portable generators stashed in the boot might do the trick.

  15. #65
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    20,132
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    One of those Honda portable generators stashed in the boot might do the trick.
    Diesel-powered generator to charge your electric vehicle.........job done!

    Electric vehicles don’t appeal to me (yet) but having a 75’ x 12’ driveway means I’ll have plenty if space for off- road charging when I do eventually buy one. I can see lots of drawbacks but I can also sense which way the wind is blowing.

  16. #66
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Exeter, Devon
    Posts
    225
    Have a BMW IX3 due for delivery in November. Also have the A3 tsfie which only does c 35 miles in electric mode only but that’s often enough for the wife. It feels it’s weight under braking but is surprisingly fun and nimble to drive.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  17. #67
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    20,132
    Here’s a question to ponder:

    Currently, the Government raises lots of tax revenue from motor fuel, without wishing to debate the wrongs and rights of this policy we all accept it as fact.

    If the majority of us convert to electric vehicles, how will the huge shortfall in tax revenue be addressed?

    If the Govt are bold enough to announce an intention to ban the sale of diesel and petrol cars by 2030 I think they owe us an answer to this question.

    Lets face it, the shortfall will have to be made up somehow to balance the books! The taxing of personal transport has long- standing historical roots going back to the time when cars were a luxury, thesedays it’s far more difficult to justify that policy and taxation is supposed to be set on a fair basis.

    Any answers? I’ll be 72 in 2030 and past caring, but it’s an interesting conundrum.

    Here’s another one: how do we propose to generate all the additional electricity required to power the vehicles of the future?.........unless the laws of physics have changed we’re going to need a hell of a lot more.

  18. #68
    Grand Master AlphaOmega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Trinovantum
    Posts
    11,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    No worries.

    I would not return to an ICE car by choice, I absolutely love my Performance, the front view aside of courses YUK.

    Pitch
    Yes, I've heard it's brutally fast. I listen to Musk on podcasts and some of the things he has in mind are amazing.

    Plus I know if I do make the switch, BN Dave would probably approve.

  19. #69
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    4,772
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    This of course but needs a huge investment chargers at park and rides in lamp posts etc and in the thousands nationwide each with payment facilities its a big ask I recon

    Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    The good thing is it won’t all need to happen overnight, but I’m not playing down the investment required either.

    We managed to install cable TV etc to mostly every house, albeit there was the carrot for companies in the form of subscriptions, but perhaps the same could happen for EV charging.

    Charging for charging could be App based, there are definitely opportunities as well as challenges.

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Here’s a question to ponder:

    Currently, the Government raises lots of tax revenue from motor fuel, without wishing to debate the wrongs and rights of this policy we all accept it as fact.

    If the majority of us convert to electric vehicles, how will the huge shortfall in tax revenue be addressed?

    If the Govt are bold enough to announce an intention to ban the sale of diesel and petrol cars by 2030 I think they owe us an answer to this question.

    Lets face it, the shortfall will have to be made up somehow to balance the books! The taxing of personal transport has long- standing historical roots going back to the time when cars were a luxury, thesedays it’s far more difficult to justify that policy and taxation is supposed to be set on a fair basis.

    Any answers? I’ll be 72 in 2030 and past caring, but it’s an interesting conundrum.

    Here’s another one: how do we propose to generate all the additional electricity required to power the vehicles of the future?.........unless the laws of physics have changed we’re going to need a hell of a lot more.
    Was talking about this today and my guess is if you have an EV car they’ll tax electricity higher for that purpose. You’ll have to have some kind of smart home meter that will charge accordingly, either that or they’ll lump it on the car as a tax like it used to be

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    I have yet to see an EV with a tow bar fitted.
    Anyone know of an estate EV which fully loaded would tow my caravan on a 300 mile around trip for a weekend in the country?
    I suspect that you will have to wait 10 years for motor and battery tech to catch up with that requirement.

  22. #72
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bury, UK
    Posts
    1,705
    Noticed Tesco in collaboration with VW are installing chargers.

  23. #73
    I don't think we're there yet except for a first or second 'city car' and then it's debatable.

    The cost saving for me is a red herring. If you can afford to pay what these things cost, the fuel saving is an irrelevance - especially when you throw in the uncertain depreciation. Add in the patchy charging network (Tesla excepted) the lack of range and the inconvenience, and it doesn't really work. Imagine for a moment that electric cars were the norm, petrol didn't exist, and then someone told you it would be possible to fuel up in 2 minutes and have twice the range you get on electric with this exciting new fuel. We've lost the plot somewhere.

    Accept the figures look different for people buying through companies and leasing. But the other issues remain.

  24. #74
    Two years since I bought a hybrid (Golf GTE), four months since I replaced it with another 320d estate.

    It’s an expensive way to save a bit of money. My independent German car servicing garage could not do the GTE so, back to the main dealer… Ouch.

    Big problem was, I was getting poor consumption on a long run which by necessity was mainly on petrol.

    As for away-from-home charging it’s a joke and the government need to get a grip quickly. We’re miles away from capacity to get everyone charged simply and easily.

  25. #75
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    39,007
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Just thinking about home charging, how big would a portable power pack have to be that you could take from your house to your on street parked EV ? It would have to be secured in some way though of course. Is it feasible?
    In a word, no.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  26. #76
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Noticed Tesco in collaboration with VW are installing chargers.
    Yes, and they are free to use!

    4 pods at our local tesco, my wife has a week old electric Kona, nearly 300 mile range, it has convinced me that my next car will also be electric.
    Last edited by genesos; 10th August 2021 at 22:44.

  27. #77
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,107
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Yes, I've heard it's brutally fast. I listen to Musk on podcasts and some of the things he has in mind are amazing.

    Plus I know if I do make the switch, BN Dave would probably approve.
    Lov it, I can just hear him now “ Piggy eyes, I like ya style Paul mate, now let’s eat pizza”

    Miss him.

  28. #78
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,107
    Blog Entries
    1
    When I hear my colleagues talking on the blower with LR, BMW & Audi with service & warranty issues & trying to get booked in I just smile.

    Today……. 2 weeks ago I used the Tesla app to book this morning in for a bit of work, yesterday a text to confirm address (I changed from my office to home), text received this morning to say he was on the drive, 30 mins later all done, “anything else sir”? And gone.

    I know it’s not perfect but 12 months in and I really could not be happier with the Tesla approach, it puts 18 years of BMW and Audi ownership to shame. I don’t need all the swanky dealerships and suited yes sir, no sir bollocks, it is so refreshing.

    Flip, I am sounding like a fan boy.

    Pitch

  29. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I don't think we're there yet except for a first or second 'city car' and then it's debatable.

    The cost saving for me is a red herring. If you can afford to pay what these things cost, the fuel saving is an irrelevance - especially when you throw in the uncertain depreciation. Add in the patchy charging network (Tesla excepted) the lack of range and the inconvenience, and it doesn't really work. Imagine for a moment that electric cars were the norm, petrol didn't exist, and then someone told you it would be possible to fuel up in 2 minutes and have twice the range you get on electric with this exciting new fuel. We've lost the plot somewhere.

    Accept the figures look different for people buying through companies and leasing. But the other issues remain.
    Dont forget all those fossil fuel power stations working harder to fuel these cars, sort of goes against carbon neutral doesn’t it?

    Plus I wouldn’t believe anything the government push onto the public car wise, I still remember them encouraging everyone to buy a diesel…


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #80
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    4,772
    My wife and I do about 45k miles a year between us, in EVs, it’s really not as difficult as some are making out.

    I did a near 1000 mile round trip in mine at the beginning and end of a week a few weeks ago, it was relaxing, cheap, and perfectly viable. That was in the ID.3 as well, not the Tesla.

  31. #81
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    4,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Dont forget all those fossil fuel power stations working harder to fuel these cars, sort of goes against carbon neutral doesn’t it?

    Plus I wouldn’t believe anything the government push onto the public car wise, I still remember them encouraging everyone to buy a diesel…


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It takes an awful lot of energy to extract oil, refine and distribute petrol as well, that’s even before you burn it.

    Oil is too valuable a resource to waste in passenger cars is my view, but I accept that I’m probably in the minority right now.

  32. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    It takes an awful lot of energy to extract oil, refine and distribute petrol as well, that’s even before you burn it.

    Oil is too valuable a resource to waste in passenger cars is my view, but I accept that I’m probably in the minority right now.
    Oh I know and agree but what about the resources needed to mine the minerals etc to build batteries?

    It’ll be interesting to see how the second hand industry develops with electric cars, I mean who’d buy an electric car a few years old knowing the batteries are depleting all the time and they will cost to renew…


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. #83
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Oh I know and agree but what about the resources needed to mine the minerals etc to build batteries?

    It’ll be interesting to see how the second hand industry develops with electric cars, I mean who’d buy an electric car a few years old knowing the batteries are depleting all the time and they will cost to renew…


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There will also come a time in the next few years when the value of secondhand ICE cars will plummet as no one wants the dirty, heavily taxed old tech. I would expect the premium end of the market would be hit first.
    Sales of new BEV cars has already overtaken diesel. We must therefore be getting close to peak petrol / diesel usage, so we are probably only a few years away when the number of filling stations starts to decline too.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  34. #84
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Coming Straight Outer Trumpton
    Posts
    8,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Oh I know and agree but what about the resources needed to mine the minerals etc to build batteries?

    It’ll be interesting to see how the second hand industry develops with electric cars, I mean who’d buy an electric car a few years old knowing the batteries are depleting all the time and they will cost to renew…


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The same people who buy internal combustion cars knowing that components are wearing themselves out and will need to be replaced?

  35. #85
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    The same people who buy internal combustion cars knowing that components are wearing themselves out and will need to be replaced?
    Not sure it's exactly the same I would not be buying a Ice car where the fuel tank is getting smaller limiting my driving time/range.

    I am not even sure how viable green energy is tbh. Wind turbines have a huge initial cost and if its like the one at my work is always broken with people from Finland out at it. I think to have a discussion about going green a lot of information has to make its way to the public domain. Even something as simple as how long does it take to pay for itself? It was not long ago solar panels were being sold and loans taken but again most were viable only because of the higher feed in tarif.

    Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

  36. #86
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    17,571
    If you haven't watched the Guy Martin 'Worlds Fastest Electric Car' then do so its a great watch and a lot of interesting stuff on there with a Lincolnite analysis, my favourite part his when he has the Porsche Taycan and says the salesmen told me its pronounced 'Tay-Caaan', Guys reply 'Not in Lincolnshire Mate"
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  37. #87
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Coming Straight Outer Trumpton
    Posts
    8,492
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    Not sure it's exactly the same I would not be buying a Ice car where the fuel tank is getting smaller limiting my driving time/range.

    I am not even sure how viable green energy is tbh. Wind turbines have a huge initial cost and if its like the one at my work is always broken with people from Finland out at it. I think to have a discussion about going green a lot of information has to make its way to the public domain. Even something as simple as how long does it take to pay for itself? It was not long ago solar panels were being sold and loans taken but again most were viable only because of the higher feed in tarif.

    Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app
    How quickly do you believe range reduction becomes apparent and then how quickly for that to become a limiting factor in daily usage?

  38. #88
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    13,423

    Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Oh I know and agree but what about the resources needed to mine the minerals etc to build batteries?

    It’ll be interesting to see how the second hand industry develops with electric cars, I mean who’d buy an electric car a few years old knowing the batteries are depleting all the time and they will cost to renew…


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In 2015, I paid £10,400+VAT for a one year old van with 4,500 miles on the clock. Last year, I was paid out £9,700+ VAT by my insurance company when it was written off two miles short of 50,000 miles.

    I replaced it with a similar, 64 plate van. At no point have I had any concern whatsoever about the life of the battery.

    What is evident to me is how everyone who doesn’t drive an EV continually roll out all the same old arguments as to why EV doesn’t work, whilst those who’ve moved over to full EV, in the main, will never go back to ICE. I don’t count hybrids though, as that’s the worst of both worlds, whatever Toyota may tell you!

  39. #89
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    4,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Oh I know and agree but what about the resources needed to mine the minerals etc to build batteries?

    It’ll be interesting to see how the second hand industry develops with electric cars, I mean who’d buy an electric car a few years old knowing the batteries are depleting all the time and they will cost to renew…


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, it takes resources to build anything, that’s not exclusive to electric cars though. We mine minerals to make all batteries, not just cars.

    Batteries in EVs are proving to be much longer lived than most people thought, they’re designed to last the life of the car and then can be re purposed (powerwalls etc) or recycled. Cobalt free batteries are now also a thing,

    Everything we consume/use has an impact, that’s fact, EVs are part of an effort to try and lower that. They won’t save the planet, and the only ‘green’ car is no car at all really.

    I just prefer driving them now, to be honest, the Tesla in particular is a right laugh and raises a smile when I want it to.

  40. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Yes, it takes resources to build anything, that’s not exclusive to electric cars though. We mine minerals to make all batteries, not just cars.

    Batteries in EVs are proving to be much longer lived than most people thought, they’re designed to last the life of the car and then can be re purposed (powerwalls etc) or recycled. Cobalt free batteries are now also a thing,

    Everything we consume/use has an impact, that’s fact, EVs are part of an effort to try and lower that. They won’t save the planet, and the only ‘green’ car is no car at all really.

    I just prefer driving them now, to be honest, the Tesla in particular is a right laugh and raises a smile when I want it to.
    Tbh I really cannot disagree with you there, for me I have various doubts about it all, I’ll be waiting for a few more years before I consider looking at them properly.

    Have to say when I had a go of my mates Tesla, yes I did get out being blown away by the performance but, just not for me in reality, plus I couldn’t bring myself to paying £40k or whatever a Tesla is anyway tbh.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  41. #91
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    How quickly do you believe range reduction becomes apparent and then how quickly for that to become a limiting factor in daily usage?
    Batteries I believe are guerenteed for 10 years by which time the capacity can be reduced by 70% is what I remember when I was looking.

    If I was to drive fife to Manchester to watch rhe football I would recon depending on the vehival chosen I would struggle and add a good hour or so to my journey. Just a guess as I've never owned an electric car but would also not consider dropping 50k for an inferior experience than I have now

    Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

  42. #92
    I can see a situation in the next 10-15 years where any drivers of ICE vehicles will be looked upon as pariahs. I think as the tech becomes more advanced, the anxiety that most people have about range slowly disappears and the issue regarding charging stations are rectified more and more people will convert over.
    Imagine being the owner of that one ICE vehicle in a street full of electric vehicles!
    Currently they’re not for everybody, if you’ve got to do plus 200 miles a day then I think things may currently be more complicated, if you’re the kind of person who’ stops for a coffee for 20 minutes and has a rapid charger en route then maybe not.
    For me someone who does something like 40-50 miles a day they make perfect sense.

  43. #93
    Grand Master AlphaOmega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Trinovantum
    Posts
    11,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Lov it, I can just hear him now “ Piggy eyes, I like ya style Paul mate, now let’s eat pizza”

    Miss him.


    Yes.


    What makes me happy is that he is fulfilling his dream.

    Sorry for the thread drift all.

  44. #94
    Master Man of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Garden of England
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I can see a situation in the next 10-15 years where any drivers of ICE vehicles will be looked upon as pariahs. I think as the tech becomes more advanced, the anxiety that most people have about range slowly disappears and the issue regarding charging stations are rectified more and more people will convert over.
    Imagine being the owner of that one ICE vehicle in a street full of electric vehicles!
    Currently they’re not for everybody, if you’ve got to do plus 200 miles a day then I think things may currently be more complicated, if you’re the kind of person who’ stops for a coffee for 20 minutes and has a rapid charger en route then maybe not.
    For me someone who does something like 40-50 miles a day they make perfect sense.
    I do about 130 to 140 miles a day and there's no chance of having a fast charger on my drive. I have a fusebox under the stairs and no external walls near it thus making the installation impossible without having to tear up my recently installed flooring. I would love an EV but would have to get that range from a 13 amp socket. When that is doable, I'll get on board.

  45. #95
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Coming Straight Outer Trumpton
    Posts
    8,492
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    Batteries I believe are guerenteed for 10 years by which time the capacity can be reduced by 70% is what I remember when I was looking.

    If I was to drive fife to Manchester to watch rhe football I would recon depending on the vehival chosen I would struggle and add a good hour or so to my journey. Just a guess as I've never owned an electric car but would also not consider dropping 50k for an inferior experience than I have now

    Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app
    I think you are confusing warranty terms with expected drop off overtime, and I suspect that referrers to the Renault battery lease terms. After all it’s in the manufacturers best interest to minimise claims.

    Either way real world reports show from around 0.6 to 1.6 for a lot of the current gen options, I suspect within 5 years electric will be the clear sales leader.

  46. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I do about 130 to 140 miles a day and there's no chance of having a fast charger on my drive. I have a fusebox under the stairs and no external walls near it thus making the installation impossible without having to tear up my recently installed flooring. I would love an EV but would have to get that range from a 13 amp socket. When that is doable, I'll get on board.
    Unless you have 3 phase at home I think all you could have anyway is a standard 7kw charger.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  47. #97
    I really want to want one but...it's going to take a long time to get the charging network anything like good enough, the cost saving is questionable once you take account of the high initial cost, there's no doubt whichever way you look at it that there's a convenience cost, and I don't think the relative environmental impact is anywhere close to certain.

    I certainly wouldn't buy one but could be tempted by a lease, especially through a company. Waiting for Tesla to produce something with the same practicality and build quality as regular SUV or estate.

  48. #98
    My next spare car will be an EV.

    My primary car can't be swapped yet, but when the charging infrastructure and speed are there I'll be all in right away.

    I had a Tesla for a couple of weeks in the states. I loved it, but found myself in a lot of shopping mall car parks for 45 minutes buying tat and didn't need and eating rubbish while the vehicle charged. It's a pretty poor experience and that's with decent infrastructure. It'll get better, but I drive to Skye from London 3-4 times a year as well as driving holidays in France and at the moment it's too much of a lottery. My friends with EVs who make similar journeys all have stories of hitting 2 or 3 charging stations in a row either busy or broken. It took one guy 5 hours to get charged. I can't risk that with young kids yet.

    These are all teething problems though. Soon a charge will take no longer than filling up petrol.

  49. #99
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    280
    No I never looked at a Renault at the time I looked the batteries mostly lasted 100k miles with a decent drop of in range reported 7 or so years ago.

    How they do now not too sure mabe 50% or so better as with most batter operated tools etc.

    The EV are OK and have their place but are nowhere near replacing an ICE. I doubt they would make the 3 and 4 hundred miles round trip with a horse box.

    Great they have got better but not much else unless you dotter about town with the odd long journey thrown in or have a known route that is well planned out to hit charging points.

    As for being popular most likely this type of vehicals are being heavily backed but huge investment is needed and it has to work. I'm sitting here with virgin 350 Meg I think benchmarking 50 Meg. I just hope the EV charging is rolled out better than this fibre broadband. Ohhh and don't get me started on the latency.... Lol

    Anyway to each their own... Have a good one
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I think you are confusing warranty terms with expected drop off overtime, and I suspect that referrers to the Renault battery lease terms. After all it’s in the manufacturers best interest to minimise claims.

    Either way real world reports show from around 0.6 to 1.6 for a lot of the current gen options, I suspect within 5 years electric will be the clear sales leader.
    Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

  50. #100
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    My next spare car will be an EV.

    My primary car can't be swapped yet, but when the charging infrastructure and speed are there I'll be all in right away.

    I had a Tesla for a couple of weeks in the states. I loved it, but found myself in a lot of shopping mall car parks for 45 minutes buying tat and didn't need and eating rubbish while the vehicle charged. It's a pretty poor experience and that's with decent infrastructure. It'll get better, but I drive to Skye from London 3-4 times a year as well as driving holidays in France and at the moment it's too much of a lottery. My friends with EVs who make similar journeys all have stories of hitting 2 or 3 charging stations in a row either busy or broken. It took one guy 5 hours to get charged. I can't risk that with young kids yet.

    These are all teething problems though. Soon a charge will take no longer than filling up petrol.
    This pretty much is why they are not good to go...

    ... Hope car don't melt charging at that rate.... Lol

    Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information