closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 19 of 99 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Yeah, it’s a fair challenge, ‘fantastic’ was probably the wrong word! Striking is probably a better word, or even challenging?

It’s one of those cars that definitely looks better in the flesh and is colour dependent, the one I looked at (and I was tyre kicking, just to be clear!) was dark grey and I loved it.

I’d probably take a regular Taycan over one, but realistically neither are going to happen!
    I wouldn't fret, all the camera's and radar in the UK make it pointless any way.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I think they are delivering. This is my VIN

LEW3F7FAXMC40****

The key thing is the 8th digit. It will be A or J. If A you get the older motor with the faster acceleration. If J it is the newer motor with the slower acceleration. The battery will be the newer 60kwh one with 300+ mile range in both cases. Hence Unicorn Spec is the faster motor with the newer battery!
    LRW3F7FA0MC39**** here. Must be the same as yours.

Shame you can’t pay the balance on card and rack up the points/cashback.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    LRW3F7FA0MC39**** here. Must be the same as yours.

Shame you can’t pay the balance on card and rack up the points/cashback.

Cool so you will have unicorn spec of same big battery as latest version but the faster acceleration of the outgoing one

Master
    How do you get hold of the vin chaps?

I have been trying to get the reg number but no such luck when calling them.

They have given me a proposed date and text me twice asking for my address. I have replied twice with my address. Nothing since.

Cool so you will have unicorn spec of same big battery as latest version but the faster acceleration of the outgoing one
    Best of both worlds in theory but should mean a reduction on the WLTP range slightly. Maybe it’ll get us an extra £50 on Autotrader in due course ha
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    How do you get hold of the vin chaps?

I have been trying to get the reg number but no such luck when calling them.

They have given me a proposed date and text me twice asking for my address. I have replied twice with my address. Nothing since.
    On the final invoice in the screenshot here.

It only popped up as they sent an email asking for the balance.

I’d call them.

Log on to your account page on a PC browser (it's easier), click the link to manage you vehicle.

On the next page, view source and search for LRW for a Long Range or LEW for a Short Range.

This way you can see if you've been assigned a car, long before Tesla actually tell you.

Master
    Very clever above. I will give them a call tomorrow. Mine has converted over to a business lease so I now don’t see it at all on my account until delivery I was told.

Another range increase on the RWD Model 3 (at least with standard 18 inch wheels) to 317 miles.

Must be the slower acceleration allowing a better range. Wouldn’t count on ours having that range.

Also that range will be from 100% down to 0% which doesn’t reflect real life. Tesla told me to never charge the car above 80% and not to let it get to 0% either.

Master
    Must be the slower acceleration allowing a better range. Wouldn’t count on ours having that range.

Also that range will be from 100% down to 0% which doesn’t reflect real life. Tesla told me to never charge the car above 80% and not to let it get to 0% either.
    Exactly, you won’t get anywhere near those Tesla EPA figures that are generated by the official tests, unless you drive exactly like the tests and nobody does that, nobody!

I tend to use mine in the 10-80% range, and leave it charged around the 40-80% range, which is fine for general day to day running about.

On my longer or beyond range trips I will charge to 100% prior to departure and be in single figures by the time I get to a rapid.

EVs do have good battery management systems though, they look after the battery so we don’t have to so you don’t need to be too hard and fast about it.

Master

Skoda suggests only charging to 80% for optimal charging too but unfortunately that doesn’t work for me as mine is a taxi, so I go to work everyday on 100%
    The car will be gone within 10 years anyway so I have no intention of losing money by working with a reduced charge to baby the battery for the next owner.

They are wrong (not Tesla but that specific rep) as the Model 3 has the latest batteries that do allow a charge up to 100% without risk of degradation. Check out the forums and also maybe ask someone else at Tesla. Anyway as long as I get 220 miles or more on a full charge that's fine. It is unsafe to drive for longer than 200 miles without a decent break (which can be spent fast charging) so I don't understand when people say they need a 400 mile range or whatever as you wouldn't do that mileage in one go without endangering yourself and other road users anyway.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 19th November 2021 at 11:10.

Master
    They are wrong (not Tesla but that specific rep) as the Model 3 has the latest batteries that do allow a charge up to 100% without risk of degradation. Check out the forums and also maybe ask someone else at Tesla. Anyway as long as I get 220 miles or more on a full charge that's fine. It is unsafe to drive for longer than 200 miles without a decent break (which can be spent fast charging) so I don't understand when people say they need a 400 mile range or whatever as you wouldn't do that mileage in one go without endangering yourself and other road users anyway.
    You should be good for 200 miles as long as you drive sensibly and don’t keep sampling the acceleration!

The LFP pack chemistry in the new Tesla’s has been a been a bit of a rocky road, voltage drop off towards the lower end of the pack was a problem and left people stranded or with rapidly vanishing range at the end of a longer trip.

They’ve been working hard on it, and perhaps why they feel able to open the useable battery size up to 60kWh, but Tesla will just as likely reign it back again if it proves problematic.

They’ve got history for nerfing things on their cars if they want to, like the Model S charging speed and capacity being dialled back via updates.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-b1854125.html

I like our Tesla, but just be aware of the company you’re dealing with!

People do drive for >200 miles without a decent break, not really hard to understand.

Or, a couple may share the driving so easily surpass 200 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    People do drive for >200 miles without a decent break, not really hard to understand.

The change over can happen around a cup of coffee in a fast charging station.
    You are always driving with the limitations of your vehicle. In this case 200 miles will probably cover your travelling needs for 99% of the year. Knowing that it takes 20 minutes to "fill up" means it's not even an issue unless you WANT to make it one.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The change over can happen around a cup of coffee in a fast charging station.
    You are always driving with the limitations of your vehicle. In this case 200 miles will probably cover your travelling needs for 99% of the year. Knowing that it takes 20 minutes to "fill up" means it's not even an issue unless you WANT to make it one.
    It could do but not everyone wants to.

I'd suggest these folk need to decide whether this is safe or not. Many modern ICE cars will tell the driver to take a break anyway. Regardless even at a changeover of drivers at a Supercharger running at an effective charge rate of 100 KW/H that would enable a coffee, a toilet break etc and in 20 minutes for the car to have an additional 33 KWH added which for a 55 KW battery would mean it went from 10% range to 70% range in 20 minutes. A Supercharger filling at 150 KW/H (and the fastest Telsa ones are 250 KW/H) would get the car darned near fully charged in that time.

Realistic real world charging speeds more likely average 100 KW/H or less though at those Superchargers
    Last edited by ryanb741; 19th November 2021 at 17:19.

What I was trying to express is that those who claim they don't want to are after an excuse. There are a number of people who need to cover distances > 200 miles regularly but they are a very small minority.
    Someone like Jaytip can operate a taxi with an EV and I am sure it is not easy everyday.
    But if you have access to fast chargers across the road network autonomy becomes a secondary issue.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I'd suggest these folk need to decide whether this is safe or not. Many modern ICE cars will tell the driver to take a break anyway. Regardless even at a changeover of drivers at a Supercharger running at an effective charge rate of 100 KW/H that would enable a coffee, a toilet break etc and in 20 minutes for the car to have an additional 33 KWH added which for a 55 KW battery would mean it went from 10% range to 70% range in 20 minutes. A Supercharger filling at 150 KW/H (and the fastest Telsa ones are 250 KW/H) would get the car darned near fully charged in that time.

Realistic real world charging speeds more likely average 100 KW/H or less though at those Superchargers
    Maybe they should. Doesn't stop them wanting a >200 mile (or whatever) range.

Anyway you've a better wife than mine if you can fit in a coffee, toilet break etc in 20 minutes.

Knowing that it takes 20 minutes to "fill up" means it's not even an issue unless you WANT to make it one.

I think Marc’s last sentence is the pertinent one!

Anyway you've a better wife than mine if you can fit in a coffee, toilet break etc in 20 minutes.
    Yes this is true. I should have said if I am travelling on my own. If travelling with my wife I would have time for me to charge the car to 100%, do another 200 miles up and down the motorway, charge it back to 100% again and she'd probably just be about ready by then for me to pick her up.

What I was trying to express is that those who claim they don't want to are after an excuse. There are a number of people who need to cover distances > 200 miles regularly but they are a very small minority.
    Someone like Jaytip can operate a taxi with an EV and I am sure it is not easy everyday.
    But if you have access to fast chargers across the road network autonomy becomes a secondary issue.
    Well what I was trying to challenge is Ryan's assertion that people don't need a 200 mile range because driving that distance non-stop is unsafe. That is just irrelevant if people are doing it anyway.

Craftsman
    When it comes to charging to 80% or 100%, there are two things at play.

The main one people see to talk about is whether or not charging closer to 100% is good for a battery pack in the longer term, which is being mitigated a bit by improved chemistry, management systems and buffers at the top (and bottom) of packs so they're never really 0% or 100%.

Generally speaking, the advice still seems to be not to _leave_ packs at a high state of charge, however it's normal to change to 100% before setting off on a long trip.

The other point, and one that since most of the time you wouldn't care about as you probably won't be rapid charging (50kW+) day to day any ways, is that rapid charge speeds tail off the fuller the pack gets: cars will not accept 100 kW+ the whole way through the charge. Search for charge curves and/or look at videos from people like Tesla Bjorn on YouTube.
    For "fast" chargers (i.e. 7-22kW at home/office/"destination" chargers) you won't notice this speed reduction, as it's above the level those chargers provide.

You'll likely be waiting as long to get from 10-20% up to 80% as you will 80% to 100%, and you'll be tying up a rapid charger and delaying yourself waiting for those last few percent.

Long and short, most of the time, you'll be much better off leaving home on 100%, rapid charging to 80% or so and then hopping rapid chargers charging to 80% until your destination.

Route planners like https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ do a good job of planning charge stops, and the approach it takes means rather than driving near to the edge of your car's range then praying the chargers at the far end are working, you can build in buffers and it tries to avoid unnecessarily long charge stops.

I’ve been following this thread with interest as I generally use the car for sub-50 mile round journeys, and have a drive and garage so can charge at home - and my current car will be changed in about 15 months. It currently sounds like an absolute ball-ache tbh - only really accessible to relatively wealthy early-adopters or those who spend a lot on fuel/ do a lot of mileage (with faith in, and the time to use the current charging network) as part of their work. You can still run a reliable ICE car for a fraction of the cost of running an EV by the sounds of it (I’m talking about Astras and polos, not M3’s and Cayennes) - ironically it’s the petrolheads making the change, people who just want to get cheaply from a to b won’t be in a position to switch for a few years yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’ve been following this thread with interest as I generally use the car for sub-50 mile round journeys, and have a drive and garage so can charge at home - and my current car will be changed in about 15 months. It currently sounds like an absolute ball-ache tbh - only really accessible to relatively wealthy early-adopters or those who spend a lot on fuel/ do a lot of mileage (with faith in, and the time to use the current charging network) as part of their work. You can still run a reliable ICE car for a fraction of the cost of running an EV by the sounds of it (I’m talking about Astras and polos, not M3’s and Cayennes) - ironically it’s the petrolheads making the change, people who just want to get cheaply from a to b won’t be in a position to switch for a few years yet!

You clearly seem to be interested in getting an EV but all of your posts follow a similar vein as to why they are unsuitable for most people.

This really isn’t the case.

You don’t need to buy new, expensive cars, second hand ones are available from about £5k and my daughter paid £22k for a new MG so they’re not totally unaffordable to all but the fairly wealthy. That was before this years car price madness but sub £25k is still possible.

I’ve not found insurance to be any worse than that for an ICE, Ryan’s case is that of a relatively new driver in central London which is always going to be substantial when compared to an experienced driver in a rural area.

Running an EV compares favourably cost wise with those of running an ICE and will only get cheaper as the cost of fuel rises.

In fifteen months time when you are looking to change your car, things are likely to be very different again.

Blog Entries
    It’s all relative to of course what peoples priorities are regarding motoring Rob. You cannot compare riding around in a 10 year old Astra to a spanking new Tesla, I have never suggested that.

I am very fortunate to be in a position over the past 20 years to have been in a position to purchase new cars for my business use. Now comparing a new leased £60k ICE saloon or SUV to the Tesla I have is a complete no brainier regards to financial matters, factor in the whole driver experience and it makes an ever bigger argument.

I put one of my contracts managers in an SR+ 6 weeks ago (15-20k miles pa) and he is absolutely loving it and fuel saving is incredible. My second contacts manager had confirmation yesterday that his “Goldilocks” SR+ is being delivered on the 9th. Both these chaps would have had new A4’s or 3 Series.

Mine took 5.5kw last night at a cost of 76p that’s presently 16-20 miles. Plus using green energy I get rewards.

Having said all this my 32 yo son is quite happy in his galactic mile Zafira to ferry his tribe around in.

Horses for courses and for me the EV experience is in no way a ball ache.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Hands up on the insurance.

I’m 56 living in rural Suffolk and my insurance is high but then I also have a car that has been timed at sub 3 second to 60 and power between 490-522ps depending on what you read. A similar powered ICE car would cost a packet to insure

Pitch

To be fair, I’d still be going electric if it wasn’t for the state of the charge network down south, they tick all the boxes and make so much sense for me personally. I’d have the ability to charge from home using solar as well (ok small amount) and charge from work however holiday time would be the problem.
    Ok it’s only once a year we head that way but that’s one more lot of earache I’d get from her indoors.
    4 years down the line will hopefully see huge changes

I insured through Peugeot insurance. 3 adults, including an employee.

We had a car stolen 2 years ago and our employee had an accident 11 months ago, so I was worried as not a blemish free record.

I was happy with £550 - in urban Essex. You've just got to find the right insurer.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    To be fair, I’d still be going electric if it wasn’t for the state of the charge network down south, they tick all the boxes and make so much sense for me personally. I’d have the ability to charge from home using solar as well (ok small amount) and charge from work however holiday time would be the problem.
    Ok it’s only once a year we head that way but that’s one more lot of earache I’d get from her indoors.
    4 years down the line will hopefully see huge changes
    If an EV suits your needs for everything except one journey, would it not be possible to hire a car for your holiday?

Being a little ridiculous here but you don’t own a plane to fly to Spain occasionally or a van because your child is at uni and needs moving once a year.

Insurance for us is going up from about 550 to 800 in London but we’re swapping a 2016 diesel for a brand new Tesla and the Tesla is more expensive with very different 0-60 and less approved repairers so makes sense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I insured through Peugeot insurance. 3 adults, including an employee.

We had a car stolen 2 years ago and our employee had an accident 11 months ago, so I was worried as not a blemish free record.

I was happy with £550 - in urban Essex. You've just got to find the right insurer.
    Best quote I have is around £700 now, which I thought was OK, considering my current company were quoting £1k.
    Other car is around £350 which is a V6 SUV!

Edit: they are quoting me now...blimey they are so cheap.
    Edit again: tried to buy it for £390 - they tell me they don't insure new Tesla - only used! How weird.
    Last edited by Boss13; 20th November 2021 at 11:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You clearly seem to be interested in getting an EV but all of your posts follow a similar vein as to why they are unsuitable for most people.

This really isn’t the case.

You don’t need to buy new, expensive cars, second hand ones are available from about £5k and my daughter paid £22k for a new MG so they’re not totally unaffordable to all but the fairly wealthy. That was before this years car price madness but sub £25k is still possible.

I’ve not found insurance to be any worse than that for an ICE, Ryan’s case is that of a relatively new driver in central London which is always going to be substantial when compared to an experienced driver in a rural area.

Running an EV compares favourably cost wise with those of running an ICE and will only get cheaper as the cost of fuel rises.

In fifteen months time when you are looking to change your car, things are likely to be very different again.
    I’m sure you’re absolutely right about how things will evolve over the next 15 months or so, and it has as much to do with the charging network as the price of the cars themselves. My neighbour has a new Mustang Mach E and seems delighted with it - useful to get very specific experience from my own town. I’m also sure the type and price range of the cars will rapidly expand so I’m still very interested. It’s obviously the future - in fact living in a rural area in many ways makes it sound more viable as the home charging thing won’t be an issue for many as far more homes have private drives - in fact I can’t remember the last time I parallel parked against a kerb!

Master
    Unless it's a Tesla?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59357306
    Who ya gonna call?
    Lockbusters!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Unless it's a Tesla?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59357306
    Who ya gonna call?
    Lockbusters!
    That’s only a problem if you don’t carry the RFID cards that come with the car as well.

It’s a bit of a non story to be honest, but anything Tesla/Musk gets lapped up by the media.

We use our phones as the ‘key’ for the Tesla, but we also carry the RFID credit card either in the phone case or in a wallet/purse.

Blog Entries
    As Tooks says, stupid story and nuts if you don’t carry a card with you.

Pitch

Salma Hayek's a Tesla fan anyway

Salma Hayek's a Tesla fan anyway
    Just spat my coffee across the kitchen, hilarious!

She's got the Mitchell brothers down there!

Folks who have installed chargers at home, how much did you pay? I have my own Tesla unit, I just need it fitted.

I got a quote today from a local company which was £699 for the addition of a new consumer unit and the cable run (10 metres no obstructions).

I was expecting about half that.

Master
    Folks who have installed chargers at home, how much did you pay? I have my own Tesla unit, I just need it fitted.

I got a quote today from a local company which was £699 for the addition of a new consumer unit and the cable run (10 metres no obstructions).

Does seem a bit high if you are providing your own charger. I paid £300 for my pod-point charger including installation but that was after the government grant which is paid direct to the installer.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Anyone see the article in The Guardian yesterday about Norway and it's funding shortfall? Major market in ev sales and the taxes on ic vehicles falling very rapidly. No prizes for guessing what the Govt is considering.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Anyone see the article in The Guardian yesterday about Norway and it's funding shortfall? Major market in ev sales and the taxes on ic vehicles falling very rapidly. No prizes for guessing what the Govt is considering.
    Been inevitable for a long time - using the small man and his guilt to 'paper over' the big cracks in the world.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    I don’t think anyone but the terminally stupid, ever believed that EVs wouldn’t be taxed in the near future. Tax revenue from personal motor transport is huge and a fundamental part of the country’s budget.

Craftsman

I paid that for a brand new Hypervolt 2 unit and installation, plus extended length cable (incl OZEV finding, excl £250 grant from Energy Saving Trust, Scotland only). So seems very steep for install only.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Pleased to say, that after a lot of research, umming &arring, as we live in Devon!
    I am the proud owner of a Kia eNiro 4+ in Yacht Blue.
    Love the technology behind it all, but to be fair, as yet don't fully understand it all.
    Had an Easee One home charger fitted, so all good to go :-)

When they installed mine they tapped into the meter tails (after the meter sadly) and added a small breaker just for the charger so maybe ask about that as an alternative- didn't even switch the power off while they did the job !

Tesla delayed the order and then brought it forward so going to collect on Saturday.

Anyone else collecting in the next few weeks? Ryan? Hopefully wireless charging works and the USB sockets are installed.

Craftsman
    Tesla delayed the order and then brought it forward so going to collect on Saturday.

Anyone else collecting in the next few weeks? Ryan? Hopefully wireless charging works and the USB sockets are installed.
    Mine arrived a couple of hours ago. USBs there and wireless charging works on both slots. USBs in the back too. Absolutely delighted with it!

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Yep, picking mine up from the Trafford Centre next Tuesday 7th. Should be fun :-)