closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 25 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What bugs me about EVs is not the cars themselves but the smug evangelistic owners.
    If you think I’m being smug then you couldn’t be further from the truth. Besides, I’ve seen you correct people over all manner of things on here countless times. So are you being smug?
    No, I bought an EV as a work vehicle to save me money. The fact it doesn’t pollute at point of use is just a bonus but I certainly didn’t buy it be seen as green.
    If you think someone correcting someone else’s false information is smug, then it says far more about you than the person trying to correct misinformation.

Has anyone else noticed that this extreme hot weather has affected your range? The past few days my predicted range is down compared to normal. I also hit the Max A/C button for a quick boost and lost a further 10 miles of range. It’s not a big deal but I hadn’t really thought about the heat affecting range, I knew that the extreme cold affects range quite significantly.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Spotted a Kia EV6 over the weekend, maybe its the 'new parent' in me but its a decent looking family SUV*

*I hate the phrase SUV

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Spotted a Kia EV6 over the weekend, maybe its the 'new parent' in me but its a decent looking family SUV*

Nice looking cars but dreadful indicators, when they're turning left in front of you in sunlight you just can see them. The wife pointed it out a few weeks ago and didn’t catch it…now I've seen 2.

*I hate the phrase SUV

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that this extreme hot weather has affected your range? The past few days my predicted range is down compared to normal. I also hit the Max A/C button for a quick boost and lost a further 10 miles of range. It’s not a big deal but I hadn’t really thought about the heat affecting range, I knew that the extreme cold affects range quite significantly.
    EV batteries defintely like being in the ‘Goldilocks zone’, not too hot and not too cold. It’s why they tend to be liquid cooled/heated these days.

Aircon working hard impacts ICE cars range as well, it’s just that with the equivalent of 450-500 kWh of energy on board you don’t notice it as much.

Even a 75kWh EV is only rocking the equivalent of under 2 gallons of petrol, energy wise.

Master
    Blog Entries

Wink

Its replacing a BMW so don't really care ;)

Master
    I’ve been ok. I drove up to Ellesmere Port from South Wales on Friday and I took the scenic route up over the Bwlch mountain, then the Rigos and then over the Brecon Beacons which are three fair climbs and when I arrived at the hotel in Ellesmere Port I’d averaged 4 M/kWh.
    Had 3.9 on the return journey the following day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    If you think I’m being smug then you couldn’t be further from the truth. Besides, I’ve seen you correct people over all manner of things on here countless times. So are you being smug?
    No, I bought an EV as a work vehicle to save me money. The fact it doesn’t pollute at point of use is just a bonus but I certainly didn’t buy it be seen as green.
    If you think someone correcting someone else’s false information is smug, then it says far more about you than the person trying to correct misinformation.
    its funny how correcting blatant igorance and misinformation can get you branded smug and evangelistic.

Craftsman
    As said above EV batteries don’t like extremes of heat or cold. Best to use air con while plugged in to get car to a nice temperature before you set off. After that aircon seats will use much less power to keep you cool in same way that heated seats much less power than running heater. Additionally, if you are travelling alone using driver only setting will save power.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If there is one option I could pick for the next car it would be vented seats. What a delight they must be right now.

Craftsman
    I picked my Cupra Born up on Friday, it’s a V2 with Tech L pack and E Boost. It’s a great car and handles well with a decent turn of speed, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by DiXoN View Post
    I picked my Cupra Born up on Friday, it’s a V2 with Tech L pack and E Boost. It’s a great car and handles well with a decent turn of speed, I love it.
    I’m jealous, still a long way to go until mine arrives.

Was eBoost worth it?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ordered my Ionic 5 ultimate in gravity grey from my NHS scheme in January and was originally quoted June delivery. It’s been pushed back and back and I’m now being quoted mid- December delivery!
    I sold my old car in Feb as I was being offered £600 less than I’d paid 2 years and 30k miles previously and bought a cheap 09 plate CLK 220cdi sport thinking it only needed to last until June. It’s been rock solid but the difference in MPG, running costs and comfort compared to the three year old car I sold is becoming frustrating now!
    Oh well, can’t wait for the Ionic and my 12 year old daughter is probs my more excited than I am about it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    I’m jealous, still a long way to go until mine arrives.

Was eBoost worth it?
    Yes it is, eboost button gives an extra 30bhp for 20 seconds and puts it into Cupra mode or you can just change to Cupra mode with the drive profile button for the full power, suspension etc constantly. I wanted the blue but it was 9-12 month, got the Glacial White in 3 weeks.

Well after starting this thread a while back I went back on my post and ordered an Evoque hybrid. Having just gone LTD the whole electric car started to make a lot of sense so cancelled the Landy and have just ordered a Ford Mach E AWD extended range. Had a test drive over the weekend and what a beast of a thing it is. Should hopefully take delivery September/October…cant wait.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 26th July 2022 at 21:33.

Quote Originally Posted by DiXoN View Post
    Yes it is, eboost button gives an extra 30bhp for 20 seconds and puts it into Cupra mode or you can just change to Cupra mode with the drive profile button for the full power, suspension etc constantly. I wanted the blue but it was 9-12 month, got the Glacial White in 3 weeks.
    Thanks. It’s the one option I thought was a slight gamble, but I wanted the steering wheel buttons as much as the eboost itself so went for it.
    Also gone for Beats, Cargo pack, Tech Pack M and Red… and it’s due in March.

Master
    Thanks. It’s the one option I thought was a slight gamble, but I wanted the steering wheel buttons as much as the eboost itself so went for it.
    Also gone for Beats, Cargo pack, Tech Pack M and Red… and it’s due in March.
    Mine is without the EBoost and I find it pretty nippy TBH so I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Very pleased with mine, main niggles being the app is pants though I'm sure it will evolve and I'm not a fan for needing to control so much of the car's functions from the touch screen but that's the modern trend in general, EV or not.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Mine is without the EBoost and I find it pretty nippy TBH so I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Very pleased with mine, main niggles being the app is pants though I'm sure it will evolve and I'm not a fan for needing to control so much of the car's functions from the touch screen but that's the modern trend in general, EV or not.
    That’s great to hear. And I agree about the touch screen, it’s why I wanted the eBoost option for the drive mode control button on the steering wheel. One less thing to faff about with on-screen.

How is the range in the real-world?

Craftsman
    Has anyone driven a Kia EV6? I’m thinking about going electric and need a workhorse family car. The Toyota bZ4X is also coming out soon and might fit the bill.

Master
    That’s great to hear. And I agree about the touch screen, it’s why I wanted the eBoost option for the drive mode control button on the steering wheel. One less thing to faff about with on-screen.

How is the range in the real-world?
    It's as I expected as in a bit less than claimed, and of course depends on various factors.

FWIW I can do my 80 mile round trip to work two times comfortably on one charge with enough contingency for peace of mind.

I drove an EV6 single motor. I was very impressed in every way. The lane keep assist was excellent as was refinement and the general driving experience. It’s a tough call but I preferred it to the Tesla Model 3. A very nice car indeed. Loved the air con seats too for the summer and heated seats and steering wheel for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchmanuk4 View Post
    Has anyone driven a Kia EV6? I’m thinking about going electric and need a workhorse family car. The Toyota bZ4X is also coming out soon and might fit the bill.
    Hi, yes we drove one along with the Ionic 5, VW ID4 and the Audi Q4. The delivery date for our EV6 is currently 15th Feb 2023. Can't wait......it was the best all round car by far. The Ionic 5 a close second. Always been a german car owner to-date but the Koreans have just got the electric game sorted in my view. Tesla's......just ugly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Hi, yes we drove one along with the Ionic 5, VW ID4 and the Audi Q4. The delivery date for our EV6 is currently 15th Feb 2023. Can't wait......it was the best all round car by far. The Ionic 5 a close second. Always been a german car owner to-date but the Koreans have just got the electric game sorted in my view. Tesla's......just ugly.
    Any reason you didn’t try the Enyaq?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Well after starting this thread a while back I went back on my post and ordered an Evoque hybrid. Having just gone LTD the whole electric car started to make a lot of sense so cancelled the Landy and have just ordered a Ford Mach E AWD extended range. Had a test drive over the weekend and what a beast of a thing it is. Should hopefully take delivery September/October…cant wait.
    Nice! I like the Mach E, don’t see many of them about, which is not a bad thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice! I like the Mach E, don’t see many of them about, which is not a bad thing.

https://youtu.be/HU8feLSNt6c

The ionic 6 released now…looks interesting

Blog Entries
    Have been thinking of making the switch to EV but can't get my head round what, if any, the fuel price cap increases etc are doing/going to do to the cost of running an EV? Is this a bad time to buy, or EV running costs are largely unaffected with current climate?

Ionic 6 looks great!

I'm still perplexed at some of the reticence to move to EV on a like for like basis - guy at work could have gotten a well specced Porsche Taycan but went for a BMW M5 instead. This blew my mind and when I asked him what the heck he was thinking he said he can get an EV any time in the future but ICE cars will become less available.

Luckily the M5 is on a lease as surely that will shed value as we get closer to the day that only EVs can be sold, plus the various taxes on the BMW make it way more expensive to drive than the Taycan.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Have been thinking of making the switch to EV but can't get my head round what, if any, the fuel price cap increases etc are doing/going to do to the cost of running an EV? Is this a bad time to buy, or EV running costs are largely unaffected with current climate?
    It's a tricky one. As it stands, if I take my Tesla and the upper end of the Public Charger cost spectrum at 52p kwh to charge it to full would cost £28. That would get 220 miles real world driving so around 12.7p per mile. That's in a quick and fun to drive Tesla and is still cheaper per mile than a 50 MPG diesel which would be a far less fun car to drive.

In reality some charging is free, some home tariffs have vastly lower overnight rates and so on.

These costs were of course approximately half around 6 months ago and they for sure will increase again, for how long we don't know however it isn't just the electricity costs to factor in, its the lack of Road Tax, congestion charge, cheap parking in London and so on.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Ryan, good point re: the added running costs.

Has anyone worked out what cost per kwh tie EV would need to be to make running ICE vs EV the same?

Price rise on BP Pulse today.

7kW from 35p to 44p if a paying subscriber
    50kW from 43p to 52p if a paying subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Luckily the M5 is on a lease as surely that will shed value as we get closer to the day that only EVs can be sold.
    I think it will go the other way. The closer we get to 2030, the fewer new ICE vehicles will be available and there will be many people who want ICE purely for the fact that it’s the end of an era. This, I believe, will drive up second hand prices and this will probably escalate further once new IVE are no longer available.

That’s just my opinion and reality could just as easily be the exact opposite.

Master

Has anyone worked out what cost per kwh tie EV would need to be to make running ICE vs EV the same?
    There are too many variables to make an accurate comparison but the Parkers car reviews provide a miles per pound calculation to help using current costs of fuel versus electric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    There are too many variables to make an accurate comparison but the Parkers car reviews provide a miles per pound calculation to help using current costs of fuel versus electric.
    Great thank you

Master

It will be different/unique to each person and whether they have home charging and what tariff they’re on.

For me, looking at our ID.4 GTX and with our home E7 tariff rising to circa 30p per kWh, cost per mile is roughly 10p after allowing for some charging and conversion losses.

An equivalent ICE car, something like a Tiguan R, would achieve circa 30mpg, or 25p per mile at £1.70p a litre.

If you compare like for like vehicles, it’s still usually cheaper to run an EV, even if you only have access to public charging, but the cost for that is going to get higher as well.

If road fuel pricing stays where it is, then for me electricity would need to get to around 70p per kWh to reach price per mile parity with a petrol vehicle.

My day rate will be around 52p per kWh I think, so will likely be around that by next spring I should think, but hopefully off peak rates won’t hit that sort of price.

I do very low mileage in my family car (I have a couple of two-seaters for when it's just me), mostly pottering around doing exactly what an i3 is for: taking kids swimming, shopping and so on. I work from home too. The car is a 2004 Skoda Fabia, on about 56k miles. It was a gift from my uncle when he stopped driving, weighs a smidge over 1,000kg, is small and nimble, returned around 50mpg and 500 miles from a tank of fuel this month and took a family of four of us on holiday to Cornwall a couple of weeks ago. It's huge fun to drive. Not fast, but you can left-foot-brake in fifth, it has sidewalls and you can hustle it along in comfort. What isn't so much fun is the constant tailgating and driving on motorways very few people wait more than a car length or two before pulling in right in front of me, but that seems to be the fate of the small car these days.

If I bought an electric car I wouldn't have an issue with stopping somewhere to charge, the one or two times per year I'll go far enough to need to, but I do have an issue with the cost of small electric cars for occasional use, and the weight of the things. I'd love an i3 but have previously bought my s/h cars in the £5k-£8k range, and if the i3 ever gets to that price will it cost significantly more to run? I hate weight, all these 2,000kg+ electric Mustang Mach-Es and so on on the road is embarrassing, and the research on tyre particulates is shocking (basically the heavier the car and bigger the tyres, the more small and harmful particulates are spread around).

Representing, as I do, the buyer of small cars five or six years old, I wonder what our lot will be when petrol and diesel prices go up. I'm looking forward to cars being taxed on size and weight and it will be interesting to see what the next generation of drivers looks like, being as they are more environmentally aware (most SUVs - with the possible exception of the Dacia Jogger - are environmental horror shows, EVs or not) and not necessarily seeing driving as a necessity. The small, lightweight and cheap EV can't come soon enough. I appreciate that development and progress will be made by building all the EVs floating around at the moment but I can't see myself buying one in the next 10 years.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    My wife is slowly coming around to the idea of an EV, and with the ranges increasing it is helping dispel her fears.
    However we only have on street parking at home, and these are not dedicated spaces so how are people in a similar situation coping and managing to charge their cars?

Read an interesting article yesterday - 25% of new cars in china are EVs so already bigger than european and American markets together - they are building up a lot of expertise at scale and also tying up the supply chain...

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    My wife is slowly coming around to the idea of an EV, and with the ranges increasing it is helping dispel her fears.
    However we only have on street parking at home, and these are not dedicated spaces so how are people in a similar situation coping and managing to charge their cars?
    My neighbours have the same issue and have had an EV for a year.

They've just built it into their routine that when they are doing xyz or dropping the kids here that hey charge up at a local charger. It takes more planning but it's do-able. Personally speaking we only charge every fortnight or so and although we're fortunate enough to have off street parking with a 3pin plug. However we could, in hindsight, make do with public charging. 22kw will get you 47 miles of range for an hour of charging. Find a 50kw and it's 105 miles in 30 mins. If you look at the Kia / Hyundai set up you can get even faster than that. You can easily spare an extra 30 mins in your week our next door neighbours have found.

Biggest issue up here (Glasgow) is that he free chargers (up to 22kw) are very very busy, but you can always get onto a paid one. Even at 50-70p per kwh it's still cheaper than dino-juice.

Having lived with a BEV for a few months now i'd say the range anxiety definately goes away and we're now just charging as we would fill with fuel....when it needs it or when we've got a longer journey ahead of us. Whereas before BEV life i was obsessed with having to charge every night.

We're loving it as the runaround / round trips under 100 miles car but out family car (which can't fit in our garage) will be dino juice powered for a while yet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    (most SUVs - with the possible exception of the Dacia Jogger - are environmental horror shows, EVs or not) and not necessarily seeing driving as a necessity.
    All cars are environmental ‘horror shows’ if we’re being honest.

Even an electric SUV is cleaner over its lifetime than a small petrol or diesel car, even allowing for the energy used in extraction and build of the EV battery.

The tool below compares modern small cars with electric equivalents, and they’re all in the region of 2 to 3 times less carbon intensive overall. Then there’s the local air quality benefits etc. It’s an emotive subject for some reason, and whilst I don’t think anybody buys one thinking they’re saving the planet, every credible study shows that they’re less damaging overall than an equivalent ICE vehicle.

https://www.transportenvironment.org...electric-cars/

It probably only makes sense to change to one when your current car is end of life though, or you’re buying a new one for whatever reason, and cost for now is a barrier to wider adoption.

If anybody really wants to ‘save the planet’, don’t have any kids, don’t drive a private car, and try to buy more sustainable things that haven’t traveled halfway around the world to get to you in a delivery van.

Of course, most people here in the UK do have kids, own cars and buy stuff, it’s just about limiting our impact/damage though isn’t it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    The small, lightweight and cheap EV can't come soon enough. I appreciate that development and progress will be made by building all the EVs floating around at the moment but I can't see myself buying one in the next 10 years.
    China are already making them for their home market, and some of them will be available here assuming they can pass euro crash tests.

It’s then a case of whether you want to support China over any alternatives available.

Journeyman
    Unless you get a Tesla, the infrastructure just isn’t there. Let the trailblazers take the pain and switch in five or ten years or whenever it’s viable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
    Unless you get a Tesla, the infrastructure just isn’t there. Let the trailblazers take the pain and switch in five or ten years or whenever it’s viable.

That just isn’t a fair assessment, we have a Tesla and VW electric vehicle, they are both very capable and very similar in use. You may not be aware, but the Tesla network is being opened up to all EVs gradually as well.

It’s more important to think about where you drive and when, and choose the right car.

For some people that will be an ICE car, either the one they own or a new one, but EVs will work for lots of people now whatever brand they are.

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

I’ve got an ID 5 coming in Oct-Nov with the 77kw battery. If I use a worse case scenario pence per KW in Jan I’d be looking at about £35.00 to fully charge
    The range is reported 300plus but I’m sure winter months will likely be around 250.
    My current car LR Disco Sport does around 35-40 on our current usage so £35 would get me nowhere near that.

Added to the fact the car can be claimed 100% against corporation tax and personally only looking at 2% BIK. Electric cars make so much sense for me.

I’ve got an ID 5 coming in Oct-Nov with the 77kw battery. If I use a worse case scenario pence per KW in Jan I’d be looking at about £35.00 to fully charge
    The range is reported 300plus but I’m sure winter months will likely be around 250.
    My current car LR Disco Sport does around 35-40 on our current usage so £35 would get me nowhere near that.

Added to the fact the car can be claimed 100% against corporation tax and personally only looking at 2% BIK. Electric cars make so much sense for me.

I've just done exactly the same thing and sold my car. I've signed a business lease on a Skoda Enyaq precisely for the 2% BIK. A 40k car is going to cost me about £70 per month from my taxed income. My business pays the lease but with the fiscal drag on tax bands it is better for the company to pay than for me to take the profit.

I'm not an early adopter and had no interest in a Tesla or any other EV but I'll put up with charging if it means saving 4k a year in car payments / tax. (well I say that now. Lets see in a year!)

Master

Our ID.4 GTX has the same battery, 250 miles is a good estimate to cover all sorts of general use including on the motorway. Our long term average is 3.4 miles per kWh.

Motorway, at a genuine 70mph and its just over 3 miles per kWh, winter about 2.7.

Summer A roads 3.6+ miles per kWh, bit less in the winter. Ours is the AWD dual motor 300PS version, you might get a bit more from your ID.5 if its RWD and it’s a little more aerodynamic as well with the sloping hatch.

Master

That’s just not correct, it totally depends on your usage. If you have off street parking and never drive in excess of 250 miles in a single trip, public charging infrastructure is completely irrelevant.
    For us, being able to leave the house with a full charge means it is actually less of a hassle running EVs than it would be an ICE car where you would have to make the occasional trip to fill up with fuel.
    If the situation were reversed and we were moving from EV to ICE there would surely be users unwilling to make the switch as you can’t fill up with petrol at home whilst you sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Our ID.4 GTX has the same battery, 250 miles is a good estimate to cover all sorts of general use including on the motorway. Our long term average is 3.4 miles per kWh.

Motorway, at a genuine 70mph and its just over 3 miles per kWh, winter about 2.7.

Summer A roads 3.6+ miles per kWh, bit less in the winter. Ours is the AWD dual motor 300PS version, you might get a bit more from your ID.5 if its RWD and it’s a little more aerodynamic as well with the sloping hatch.
    That’s good to hear as I’ve gone for the pro max plus but is only RWD and only 177ps
    So I could be looking at a bit more miles per KW.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Read an interesting article yesterday - 25% of new cars in china are EVs so already bigger than european and American markets together - they are building up a lot of expertise at scale and also tying up the supply chain...
    But don’t they produce really cheap EV’s for the masses, as in really cheap sub 10k?

But this just depends on whether you drive more than 300 miles per day or do not have a driveway or home charging. Most normal people; myself included, would fit a 7kw home charger, this tops up my battery every night on my off peak EV rate of electric via SO Energy. And even when low on charge it re-fills over-night. So unless you do more than 300 miles per day it’s a non issue. In a year I have never once charged away from home. Even at today’s leccy prices, my EV is costing me under £40 per month to run. I was a sceptic but now I am a convert and would never go back to ICE, which now feels unresponsive, slow and unrefined. Not to mention hideously expensive.

Blog Entries
    In Dutch newspapers today: driving a full electric car is more expensive than driving a petrol car due to the high prices of kWh.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    In Dutch newspapers today: driving a full electric car is more expensive than driving a petrol car due to the high prices of kWh.
    Not sure what you pay per kWh or price per gallon but even with the predicted increases in Oct-Jan charging using an electric car is still cheaper in the UK. Unless of course you have an old 56 plate VW golf that does 90 mpg