closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 99 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

You did well if its unregistered as the lead time is about six months.

There are a couple of really low mileage vehicles available already though.

What model are you getting?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    In fairness, this tech has been available for over 10 years - had this function in my 2007 BMW 3 series coupe (E92). Would alter the seat, mirrors and even radio presets etc.

Leasing seems to be the way with EVs - for me at least, it seems the sensible option.
    Yes, I wasnt saying it was new tech, I know its been around a long time, one of my old BMWs had it too.

It was more the point that its almost essential in the Tesla as doing things like moving the mirrors and steering wheel has to be done via the large screen and two dials on the steering wheel. It would be a faff to do that every time me or my wife got in it.

Master

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You did well if its unregistered as the lead time is about six months.

There are a couple of really low mileage vehicles available already though.

What model are you getting?
    Yeah, I was really lucky. All the local dealerships were telling me at least six months.
    Its a 60 Nav Suite. I cant fault the dealership, I told them I was after a car on 19 alloys but the one they have is on 20s but they are not charging me for them. It has a chrome pack to which I didnt particularly want and they arent charging me for that either. I think the combined cost of the two is 850, so a nice little saving.

Edit: A Carwow dealer had an ex demonstrator available with 3000 miles on it but it would have been 140 a month more expensive than the car Ive secured.
    Madness.
    Last edited by jaytip; 27th August 2021 at 13:25.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Yeah, I was really lucky. All the local dealerships were telling me at least six months.
    Its a 60 Nav Suite. I cant fault the dealership, I told them I was after a car on 19 alloys but the one they have is on 20s but they are not charging me for them. It has a chrome pack to which I didnt particularly want and they arent charging me for that either. I think the combined cost of the two is 850, so a nice little saving.

Edit: A Carwow dealer had an ex demonstrator available with 3000 miles on it but it would have been 140 a month more expensive than the car Ive secured.
    Madness.
    Looks like you got a great deal there, please let us know how you get in with it.

Paid a deposit on an Enyaq yesterday. Im hoping to collect it late next week.
    Great 👍 Got a home chargers sorted yet?
    If so what have you gone for?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Great 👍 Got a home chargers sorted yet?
    If so what have you gone for?
    Not yet. Ive read that if you want the grant you have to provide a chassis number and the car hasnt been assigned one yet.
    Ive got a sparky coming round either tonight or tomorrow though to have a look and give me a price.
    I can always go down the route that Tooks suggested.

Master
    Looks like you got a great deal there, please let us know how you get in with it.
    Will do.

Craftsman
    Not yet. Ive read that if you want the grant you have to provide a chassis number and the car hasnt been assigned one yet.
    Ive got a sparky coming round either tonight or tomorrow though to have a look and give me a price.
    I can always go down the route that Tooks suggested.
    If the car is physically at a dealer it has a VIN number just not a reg

You can also use your order number for the charger grant, doesnt have to be the reg or VIN

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post

You can also use your order number for the charger grant, doesnt have to be the reg or VIN
    Thank you for that. Ill call them tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    So does anyone have an I-Pace?

Looking for some real world impressions and user experience, rather than test drive opinions. Good or bad all appreciated folks.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    A mate looked at a few evs, seems many are not suitable to have a tow bar fitted, no use to him.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    A mate looked at a few evs, seems many are not suitable to have a tow bar fitted, no use to him.
    Depends on the specific EV, many can have a tow bar fitted, but wont be homologated for towing, so its use would be limited to bike racks etc.

What does he want to tow? The ID.4 is a recent EV that can tow, as can Teslas. There are no doubt others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Depends on the specific EV, many can have a tow bar fitted, but wont be homologated for towing, so its use would be limited to bike racks etc.

What does he want to tow? The ID.4 is a recent EV that can tow, as can Teslas. There are no doubt others.
    It will be very interesting to see what impact 'real world' towing of say a horse trailer has on the range of the vehicle, particularly for something like the Cybertruck which looks like it should be well up to the job - whenever it becomes available. Shame it looks like a mangled version of Krytens head though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    It will be very interesting to see what impact 'real world' towing of say a horse trailer has on the range of the vehicle, particularly for something like the Cybertruck which looks like it should be well up to the job - whenever it becomes available. Shame it looks like a mangled version of Krytens head though.
    I dont think the cybertruck will officially be launched over here in the U.K. although time will tell.

Regarding range, yes, it will take a hit. Ive read a few articles that say plan on 50% worst case scenario, but will depend on the car and the aero of whatever youre towing. It impacts ICE cars too of course, but with the equivalent of 500+ kWh on board its not as noticeable.

There is a guy on another forum Im on who towed a trailer full of canoes with his ID.4, and his range took a marginal hit. More of a pain was trying to charge at the chargers points which are not set up for anything towing.

As more towing cars come to market, I can see theyd need to install rapid chargers at the car and caravan parking spots.

I dont think the cybertruck will officially be launched over here in the U.K. although time will tell.
    The last I heard is they were looking at releasing a smaller version over here to suit the UK market, but I have no idea if that is still the case.
    As someone who tows trailers regularly and needs 'proper' 4x4 for farm use, I am keen to see what comes to market to suit that need. I suspect it will be a while yet before something which is genuinely suitable arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    The last I heard is they were looking at releasing a smaller version over here to suit the UK market, but I have no idea if that is still the case.
    As someone who tows trailers regularly and needs 'proper' 4x4 for farm use, I am keen to see what comes to market to suit that need. I suspect it will be a while yet before something which is genuinely suitable arrives.
    Dont hold your breath, the model Y still hasnt hit these shores!

Tested the Hyundai Iconiq 5 today. Unbelievable. Selling the Velar and getting this. Cannot believe a Hyundai is so well made. I have the HSE version of the Velar and the Iconiq 5 (Ultimate version) is more luxurious. Amazing!
    Last edited by ryanb741; 20th September 2021 at 21:47.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Tested the Hyundai Iconiq 5 today. Unbelievable. Selling the Velar and getting this. Cannot believe a Hyundai is so well made. I have the HSE version of the Velar and the Iconiq 5 (Ultimate version) is more luxurious. Amazing!
    Have your tried the Ford Mach E?

Have your tried the Ford Mach E?
    I haven't. Looks super cool but not available for ages as very popular. Seen some good reviews although incredibly despite its huge size the Iconiq5 is much quicker (0-62mph in 5.2 seconds for a 3 metre wheelbase car!) That weighs over 2 tons!

Master
    If you dont mind me asking, what is the Hyundai coming in at in the spec you are after?

If you dont mind me asking, what is the Hyundai coming in at in the spec you are after?
    I'm after Ultimate spec with the Tech Pack, only want a 58kw battery as I've no need for the fast version and the fact it charges 80% in 18 minutes means no drama re range. That comes in at around 42k but on a lease around 400 a month with 9 month up front. Only 50 per month insurance.

The Velar currently costs 580 per month on PCP plus 130 a month insurance. So saving of 180 per month PCP and 80 per month insurance plus car is better than the Velar. And the Velar shot up 10k in 6 months meaning I'd sell it, clear the PCP and have enough left to pay the 9 months initial rental plus maybe get a Sinn or something. No brainer although I'm checking on availability of the Hyundai as this only works if I can get one ina few weeks.

Merc EQA is another option - they blasted a deal on that and that's a similar price. Not as nice as the Hyundai but well it's a Merc lol

The Velar currently costs 580 per month on PCP plus 130 a month insurance

There are some Mach Es out there in dealerships that you can have almost immediately if you do a bit of searching. We were looking at the standard range AWD for about 48k.

There are more of the 58k long range models available though.

We werent impressed with the EQA, it felt cheaply built compared to our current GLC and the EQC is just too pricy for my liking. And the wife really doesnt like the look of the EQB, not that its available yet.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Mrs ryanb741 is a new driver in the UK - has had UK licence for only 2 years which part explains it. When we first got the car 2 years ago she had just passed her test and we were paying double this!

Plus I think these get stolen fairly frequently.

Did you look at the Ipace, it is very good, also when looking at charging times are you checking on what sort of charger as most people don't have 3phase 11 kw chargers at home?

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Did you look at the Ipace, it is very good, also when looking at charging times are you checking on what sort of charger as most people don't have 3phase 11 kw chargers at home?
    My car would be parked offstreet so I'd use the local chargers (there are many near us).

Ipace is nice but I'm going through this exercise to save money as I'll now do less than 3k miles a year and the Ipace will be only marginally cheaper than the Velar.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...0&f=&t=1943675

Thread on buying/ owning the Iconiq in case of interest/ use

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post

I am still waiting for the Electricity Company to approve a charger install - so for the other site just paid an electrician to buy and install a charger. Once the prices have been bumped up for the grant there may not be much in it, plus it was installed a week after I moved in.

Put the order in for the EQA. Not the best car vs some of the others but A the nicest interior in premium and B the best deal. Also C going from a Range Rover to a Hyundai wasn't something the missus was keen to do.

Only thing is no option in any guise for electric seats (even though they are heated) due to semiconductor issues and no adaptive cruise control only standard cruise! But they offered effectively free driving in the form of free recharging for 4 years as a kind of ad hoc sweetener so costs of ownership will be decent.

Nov delivery

Put the order in for the EQA. Not the best car vs some of the others but A the nicest interior in premium and B the best deal. Also C going from a Range Rover to a Hyundai wasn't something the missus was keen to do.

Only thing is no option in any guise for electric seats (even though they are heated) due to semiconductor issues and no adaptive cruise control only standard cruise! But they offered effectively free driving in the form of free recharging for 4 years as a kind of ad hoc sweetener so costs of ownership will be decent.

Nov delivery
    Ryan, Ive now driven the vast majority of EVs and the EQA has impressed me the most....as Dave Thomas Jnr said....Ive never heard silence like this before!
    Just waiting until after Xmas to put the order in.

Ryan, Ive now driven the vast majority of EVs and the EQA has impressed me the most....as Dave Thomas Jnr said....Ive never heard silence like this before!
    Yes it was whisper quiet and also very smooth. None of the twitchiness that you find on some other EV cars. Also surprisingly spacious - it looks like it should be Audi Q3 size but inside feels like a Q5 if that makes sense.

Yes it was whisper quiet and also very smooth. None of the twitchiness that you find on some other EV cars. Also surprisingly spacious - it looks like it should be Audi Q3 size but inside feels like a Q5 if that makes sense.
    The boot space was a deal breaker, need space for 2 Chocky labs and the other EVs would be a compromise in that department.
    I was impressed with all the other offerings but for the money the Merc seemed more refined

2,200 off new EQAs before 31/12 (apparently).

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    2,200 off new EQAs before 31/12 (apparently).
    Other lease doesnt run out until mid next year but due to the wait I need to get the order in February, not sure Id be able to do it that well in advance.

AC Cars now have electric Aces (129.5k approx.), Cobra Series 1 (138k approx.) & Cobra Series 4s (148k to 168k, both approx.) available to order -

https://www.accars.eu/models/ac-ace-rs-electric/

https://www.accars.eu/models/ac-cobr...es-1-electric/

https://www.accars.eu/models/ac-cobr...es-4-electric/
    ______

​Jim.

Blog Entries
    This is what puts Tesla light years ahead.

Currently the public fast network is 50kw chargers !!!!!

500 mile round trip with a stop each way for a pee and 20min charge, est 25 ish

Daughter wanted to buy the VW iD3 but none till back end of next year😲

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

Many fast (100 kw/h+) chargers on motorways which is where most Tesla superchargers are. Additionally shortly Tesla Superchargers will be open to all EVs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Daughter wanted to buy the VW iD3 but none till back end of next year😲
    If I go for an EV Id want delivery March 2023(!) so looks like Id need to make an order soon! - trouble is, wont they have made plentiful upgrades by then and Ill have ordered an old model without them? The current ID3 seems to be a well reviewed car but I dont want the touch controls on everything (which seems to have been universally slammed in all the reviews Ive read) and I suspect theyll ditch them for something else/with haptic feedback etc before 2023. Probably best to wait imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been told 18th Dec for the EQA I ordered 5 days ago but that if I ordered today it would be June 2022 as the past few days have gone bonkers so I timed it well!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

We own a Tesla M3 LR and a VW ID.3, there is very little practical difference in journey times and driving experience between the two.

50kW chargers might be the most common, but Ionity, Shell, BP and a few other networks are faster than that now.

I got to the north of Scotland and back earlier this year in the ID.3, a near 1000 mile trip, and it cost me more in food and coffee than it did charging on the Ionity network.

I currently drive a Honda Vtec engined car, and while it's fun when it comes 'on cam', it's not brilliant for my day-to-day casual driving style. I much prefer a low rev, high torque engine, so would an EV be perfect for me?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I currently drive a Honda Vtec engined car, and while it's fun when it comes 'on cam', it's not brilliant for my day-to-day casual driving style. I much prefer a low rev, high torque engine, so would an EV be perfect for me?
    Not sure what size car you are after but Honda's hybrids are powered directly by an electric motor most of the time. I've a CRV and the response is instant with full torque throughout the rev range. It's great to drive and currently returning 51mpg which is pretty impressive for a large, responsive, petrol SUV.

It's made me want a fully electric car but I'm probably going to wait a few years as hopefully prices reduce and range improves.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    The infrastructure really has got to improve sharpish for the uptake in EVs.
    This is my second week of running my Enyaq as a taxi and its been, I wont say challenging, but Ive had to make big compromises.
    Im waiting on my home charger install so Im 100% reliant on public charging at the moment.
    I work in the Bridgend area and there is the grand total of 1 ONE! CCS charger and that has been down for the last five days.
    This has meant Ive had to drive 12 miles to the next available charger and then drive a further 11 miles to get home and Im having to do this every day.
    When I pulled up at the charger the other day there was a chap there in a Hyundai Kona (I think) who was really stressed out as he only had 4% battery left on his car and the charger was down. His only option was to go to a local Tesco and sit at one of their chargers for an hour or two to give him enough juice to get to a rapid charger.
    Once my home charger is installed, Ill be fine, but this guys situation just highlights how poor the infrastructure currently is, certainly here in South Wales anyway.

Master
    This is my second week of running my Enyaq as a taxi and its been, I wont say challenging, but Ive had to make big compromises.
    Im waiting on my home charger install so Im 100% reliant on public charging at the moment.
    I work in the Bridgend area and there is the grand total of 1 ONE! CCS charger and that has been down for the last five days.
    This has meant Ive had to drive 12 miles to the next available charger and then drive a further 11 miles to get home and Im having to do this every day.
    When I pulled up at the charger the other day there was a chap there in a Hyundai Kona (I think) who was really stressed out as he only had 4% battery left on his car and the charger was down. His only option was to go to a local Tesco and sit at one of their chargers for an hour or two to give him enough juice to get to a rapid charger.
    Once my home charger is installed, Ill be fine, but this guys situation just highlights how poor the infrastructure currently is, certainly here in South Wales anyway.
    owning a EV is great if you have a home charger, without one i wouldnt recommend it. Which you have probably seen for yourself, but hopefully your home charger is in shortly.

Do you have a granny charger with the car?

Its not ideal for a car with a battery the size of yours but would allow you dome home charging.

Master
    Ah yes, the Ecotricity chargers at the Designer Village! I can see your comment on ZapMap.

I dont think theyll be repaired ever now, Gridserve have taken over all the ET sites and are in the process of upgrading them.

The good news is that both units should have CCS on them after the upgrade, which is an improvement over the one currently.

As already said, if you could get a 3 pin charger for now, youd at least be able to stick in 2kW an hour or so when at home.

Theyre also handy if you take the car away on holiday etc, if theres a 3 pin plug at your destination.

Im surprised that part of Bridgend is so poorly served by Rapid Chargers to be honest, that will hopefully change soon as more folks get electric cars.

I will be relying on public charging but not an issue where I live;

Master
    Do you have a granny charger with the car?

Its not ideal for a car with a battery the size of yours but would allow you dome home charging.
    It didnt come with one, just the type 2 for non tethered chargers. Skoda want 253 for the privilege. I know you can source them cheaper elsewhere but my thinking was 100+ for the cheapest buys a lot of public charging and my sparky has said hell be here at the end of the week so it didnt seem worth getting one.

Master
    Ah yes, the Ecotricity chargers at the Designer Village! I can see your comment on ZapMap.

I dont think theyll be repaired ever now, Gridserve have taken over all the ET sites and are in the process of upgrading them.

The good news is that both units should have CCS on them after the upgrade, which is an improvement over the one currently.

As already said, if you could get a 3 pin charger for now, youd at least be able to stick in 2kW an hour or so when at home.

Theyre also handy if you take the car away on holiday etc, if theres a 3 pin plug at your destination.

Im surprised that part of Bridgend is so poorly served by Rapid Chargers to be honest, that will hopefully change soon as more folks get electric cars.
    If Im ever off on a long journey with the family, well just take the Merc. It returns a decent mpg on a run and has a bigger boot than the Enyaq.
    Charger should be in at the end of the week though so it should be smooth running after that.