closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 17 of 99 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    The fear of a hot and sparky death.
    Don’t they have some components that run at about 400 volts and very high amps something I presume you wouldn’t want to be sticking your screwdriver in unless you were very sure of what you are doing I’m sure I saw someone on telly this morning doing something on an ev wearing huge pink rubber gloves

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Don’t they have some components that run at about 400 volts and very high amps something I presume you wouldn’t want to be sticking your screwdriver in unless you were very sure of what you are doing I’m sure I saw someone on telly this morning doing something on an ev wearing huge pink rubber gloves
    Lol maybe washing the engine bay out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Ordered an I4 last month too, but in Dravit Grey. Delivery quoted @March next year.
    That’s a special order colour isn’t it?
    Mines been quoted at March / April
    Looking forward to it, better range than a Tesla 3 LR

I test drove a Tesla 3 for 10 days but the build quality is no where near the BMW
    Last edited by Gullers; 12th November 2021 at 00:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post

Yes, there are a very few people who are trained within dealerships to do EVS, the keys for them are generally kept separately from other vehicles and only EV trained generally have access to them. Going back many years ago when our first EV kit came from JLR there was a carbon crook in there which none of us knew what was for at the time, we later found out it was to hook in the collar of any poor tech frying on the car and pull them off.

Collecting the Model 3 early December. Doesn't have everything the Mercedes has but offers a lot the Mercedes doesn't. Hopefully it nets out, but we'll see.

Master
    I’ve got an Ioniq 5 on order for Feb, allegedly, looking forward to the experience in all honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Collecting the Model 3 early December. Doesn't have everything the Mercedes has but offers a lot the Mercedes doesn't. Hopefully it nets out, but we'll see.
    Snap. Had confirmation today I've got 'Unicorn Spec' which is the new bigger battery and the old faster motor!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Snap. Had confirmation today I've got 'Unicorn Spec' which is the new bigger battery and the old faster motor!
    Bluewater?

Half my paperwork has changed from Model 3 SR+ to just ‘Model 3’ like the new spec February deliveries.

Bluewater?

Half my paperwork has changed from Model 3 SR+ to just ‘Model 3’ like the new spec February deliveries.
    I think they are delivering. This is my VIN

LEW3F7FAXMC40****

The key thing is the 8th digit. It will be A or J. If A you get the older motor with the faster acceleration. If J it is the newer motor with the slower acceleration. The battery will be the newer 60kwh one with 300+ mile range in both cases. Hence Unicorn Spec is the faster motor with the newer battery!

LEW3F7FAXMC40****

The key thing is the 8th digit. It will be A or J. If A you get the older motor with the faster acceleration. If J it is the newer motor with the slower acceleration. The battery will be the newer 60kwh one with 300+ mile range in both cases. Hence Unicorn Spec is the faster motor with the newer battery!
    Ah, I’m trading in so have to go to them. Their trade ins are done by WBAC and locked in for 60 days. My value is £25,700 via Tesla yet today’s WBAC quote was £24,000 - plus the price has gone up £1k so really quite good. This also allows me to take the dash cam out and put it in my mum’s car.

Can’t see a VIN yet but I’m booked in for the first week of Dec at Bluewater to swap and pay the balance. Will look out for it as it would be good to see what’s in it.

Ah, I’m trading in so have to go to them. Their trade ins are done by WBAC and locked in for 60 days. My value is £25,700 via Tesla yet today’s WBAC quote was £24,000 - plus the price has gone up £1k so really quite good. This also allows me to take the dash cam out and put it in my mum’s car.

Can’t see a VIN yet but I’m booked in for the first week of Dec at Bluewater to swap and pay the balance. Will look out for it as it would be good to see what’s in it.
    Ah OK. Good chance it will be Unicorn Spec as the car will be either in the UK or very close by now if you have an early Dec pick up and quite likely will be the transitional model which is the best of both worlds as I believe most of the new motor new battery cars are getting delivered from Feb onwards and old motor new battery seems to be the best overall combo.

Ah OK. Good chance it will be Unicorn Spec as the car will be either in the UK or very close by now if you have an early Dec pick up and quite likely will be the transitional model which is the best of both worlds as I believe most of the new motor new battery cars are getting delivered from Feb onwards and old motor new battery seems to be the best overall combo.
    I’ll be sure to put “unicorn spec” in the Auto Trader heading when I sell it one day! Should get me an extra phone call or two.

Master
    Must be an obvious answer but does beg the question, why have they changed the motor to a slower one for the 2022 SR cars?

Also had the text today, looking like early December.

It will be an interesting couple of months with no home charger for me. I believe both of you chaps are in the same boat, will be interesting to share charging experiences!

Blog Entries
    You chaps with Model 3’s incoming next month will just grin, trust me. 18 years of BMW and Audi’s has been dull compared with Tesla. Yep, there maybe the odd glitch but, the refreshing handover, after sales and sheer fun of the car just makes up.

The Bluewater collection is a breeze. You turn up to the ground floor FULL of Tesla’s, two fellas take your details, check your license and say off you go. Generally 30% charge but there are plenty of superchargers there for you to plug into for your first SC experience which all other EV’s will just dream of (for now….).

The pick up last month for one of my chaps was just so good to see (mine was home delivered last year) and his SR+ is an excellent car and far better built (as I have said) to my California built Performance. We have a further one to pick up in the coming weeks so may bump into you.

The servicing concerns above I get with all ICE manufacturers, but Tesla just does EV and all contract I have had has been superb.

Have fun

Pitch
    Last edited by Pitch3110; 12th November 2021 at 00:22.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Must be an obvious answer but does beg the question, why have they changed the motor to a slower one for the 2022 SR cars?

Also had the text today, looking like early December.

It will be an interesting couple of months with no home charger for me. I believe both of you chaps are in the same boat, will be interesting to share charging experiences!
    I was the same boat buddy but with freebie supermarket and shopping centre charging, nearby SC’s and the public network, providing it decides to work on the day you need it, you will be fine.

Pitch

Ha, even on an EV you don’t get a ‘full tank’!

I’m there on the 6th Pitch.

Master

LEW3F7FAXMC40****

Bless ya Ryan!

You need to drop this 300+ mile range expectation thing, you will not be getting 5+ miles per kWh out of a model 3, unless you’re in the heat of California under test conditions.

You’ll be doing well to get 4 unless you’re driving with a feather light foot and at very low speeds.

Otherwise I’m sure you’ll enjoy the car, ours is doing sterling service.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I was the same boat buddy but with freebie supermarket and shopping centre charging, nearby SC’s and the public network, providing it decides to work on the day you need it, you will be fine.

Pitch
    Nice one! We have a local shopping centre with super charging. No idea how it works, I assume would have to pay for 'parking' as usual and then the charge fee to Tesla?

May have to start doing the weekly shop in the supermarket then rather than using delivery...that could work if supermarket charging is decent enough.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Nice one! We have a local shopping centre with super charging. No idea how it works, I assume would have to pay for 'parking' as usual and then the charge fee to Tesla?

May have to start doing the weekly shop in the supermarket then rather than using delivery...that could work if supermarket charging is decent enough.
    You mean a Tesla Supercharger site?

If it’s a Tesla one, usually you won’t need to pay to park whilst charging, but check your local rules in force.

Be wary of overstaying the car reaching the set charge level, overstay fees are £1 a minute. The Tesla chargers are fast as well, you won’t have much time to do your weekly shop.

This also allows me to take the dash cam out and put it in my mum’s car.
    Be aware the Tesla Dashcam is a lot lower performing than a dedicated dash cam - probably because it is using the autopilot or camera for a different purpose. It also only saves in the event of an accident. Plus sentry again only saves if it sees something and then that event.

The good news is with a 75-100 KWh battery you can connect your existing dashcam up and leave it running 24/7 so I would consider this option before moving it to a different car.

Pitch
    Same here - the 3pin plug is just about manageable but long journeys used to leave me needing a day at home to "catch up" as so slow. I was getting very tempted to wire a commando socket into the immersion circuit as a temporary fix at one point.

Tesco will be your friend - get the pod poiny app so you aren't kicked off after 15 minutes - I was lucky as gym/shopping centre within walking distance but I did a lot of calls over the summer in Tesco car-park too.

Proper home/workplace charging makes a huge difference to the ease of living with an EV, so I would apply for your chargers now and get an install date to coincide with arrival of your cars so you can still claim the grant but aren't waiting on the DNO etc. for months like I had to.

Ha, even on an EV you don’t get a ‘full tank’!

I’m there on the 6th Pitch.
    I managed to get a slot for my Model 3 LR on the 4th. I need to get the wife to take me in her car, as getting there by public transport is a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Be aware the Tesla Dashcam is a lot lower performing than a dedicated dash cam - probably because it is using the autopilot or camera for a different purpose. It also only saves in the event of an accident. Plus sentry again only saves if it sees something and then that event.

The good news is with a 75-100 KWh battery you can connect your existing dashcam up and leave it running 24/7 so I would consider this option before moving it to a different car.
    I'll have a chat with a friend who has a Model S and see what his looks like. I would really rather ditch the BlackView. They recommend only using their SD cards and changing to a new one every three months. I've got a SanDisk in there now which works fine but every journey it will restart once or twice and I hate hearing the thing. My mum is half death so won't even hear it restart or give the messages when you turn the car on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I managed to get a slot for my Model 3 LR on the 4th. I need to get the wife to take me in her car, as getting there by public transport is a nightmare.
    You must have got the text before me. There were only 6/7/8 Dec left when I clicked. Was hoping for a weekend slot.

Master
    The existence of the electric car consists of mining the seabeds for Cobalt. My friend is doing that now with Greenpeace in the background. Another disaster in the making .

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

You must have got the text before me. There were only 6/7/8 Dec left when I clicked. Was hoping for a weekend slot.
    I don't think it's that simple. I only had 4th or 6th. Nothing after that.

I'll have a chat with a friend who has a Model S and see what his looks like. I would really rather ditch the BlackView. They recommend only using their SD cards and changing to a new one every three months. I've got a SanDisk in there now which works fine but every journey it will restart once or twice and I hate hearing the thing. My mum is half death so won't even hear it restart or give the messages when you turn the car on and off.

I have an S and they install really nice in the S as someone kindly 3D printed a mount that replaces the mirror mount and there is a handy 12v feed to the mirror. I have Blackvue and set it to parking mode (no shut off or anything) - not sure I would buy one for a Tesla but given I had it it makes a useful addition.

How’s this for a piss take.
    We just dropped the Ipace off for its first service,
    No oil
    No filters (maybe pollen)
    They are only open Till One
    I asked how long the service takes, she didn’t know
    £370

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    No oil
    £370
    Yeah, that's a piss take

Quote Originally Posted by hill View Post
    The existence of the electric car consists of mining the seabeds for Cobalt. My friend is doing that now with Greenpeace in the background. Another disaster in the making .

Seems to be we're rearranging electric deckchairs on the Titanic whilst the band plays on.

No oil
    £370
    Did you ask what they are actually doing?

I stopped having my van “serviced” long ago as there is nothing for them to do for their £200. The ticked list is just inspection of the obvious things. A £40 MOT is much more thorough!

Servicing of EVs is currently just a con because we are all conditioned to believe that a car has to have a full service history or it’s going to be less reliable. This may be true of ICE but definitely isn’t true of an electric motor.

Key battery, brake fluid change and a particle filter, they didn’t even wash it

Blog Entries

nice work if you can get it.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Blog Entries
    TBF, Tesla have never washed mine on the two SC visits, when I questioned the service receptionist (who are all lovely, chatty and very informed) said we can do it but it will cost ya Paul and smiled. Nothing is free when using dealers.....

I was really impressed with the Ipace the quality and practicality for me is far far better than the Model 3. It just came down to the charging and the bonkers supercar pace of the M3P that sold it to me.

Pitch

Tesla won't even change the brake fluid - they measure the water content of the Dot 3 (!) brake fluid and that is that if within spec - due to much less brake use they don't even change it very often.

Tesla won't even change the brake fluid - they measure the water content of the Dot 3 (!) brake fluid and that is that if within spec - due to much less brake use they don't even change it very often.
    A sensible approach, it’s a shame everyone else wants to change it every two years (and charge accordingly) whether they actually need to or not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Seems to be we're rearranging electric deckchairs on the Titanic whilst the band plays on.
    That’s regardless of EVs to be fair. I’m not sure that continuing to drill, extract and refine oil in the quantities we do is the answer either.

Cobalt is used in a very long list of chemical and industrial processes/products, not just batteries.

It’s rather convenient to put the blame for cobalt mining at the door of those new fangled EV thingies.

If people care about the seabed, stop eating dredged scallops or anything else scooped up off the sea floor is the first thing I’d say.

Didn’t we do this already in the first few pages of the thread anyway?!

Blog Entries
    My record is 70 miles from home to Haverhill on A roads and I didn’t touch the brake once due to the aggressive regen braking.

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hill View Post

The is a lot of work being done to reduce, reuse and replace cobalt in batteries.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmo...h=18d2d8fa46b4

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsl...t-free-battery

Master
    My record is 70 miles from home to Haverhill on A roads and I didn’t touch the brake once due to the aggressive regen braking.

Pitch
    That’s scary!

How long did it take you to get used to the regen? Are your brake lights illuminated when it’s doing that, or as you aren’t actually braking, is there no sign you are slowing faster than I might expect if I’m behind?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    That’s scary!

How long did it take you to get used to the regen? Are your brake lights illuminated when it’s doing that, or as you aren’t actually braking, is there no sign you are slowing faster than I might expect if I’m behind?
    It’s very easy to get used to the max regen but that’s actually not the most efficient way to drive an EV. If you have it set to high levels of regen when you lift off the throttle you lose the ability to freewheel. Much better to have it set to minimum and apply the brake pedal when needed or if you car has the flappy paddles use those to vary the regen as needed. It still uses regen when applying the brake pedal as much as possible before applying the disk brakes.

I tend to use the adaptive cruise control on my EV a lot, saves having to use either pedal much at all and probably more efficient too.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    That’s scary!

All EVs display brake lights when sufficiently decelerating due to regen, so you’ll have warning that the car is ‘braking’.

Blog Entries
    That’s scary!

As said bud, yes when you take your foot completely off the trigger the brake lights come on but not if you feather it.

Of course ICE drivers behind may think they are being wound up a bit.

Pitch

Master
    We had a Q4 delivered a few days back. Overall great car. Quiet, responsive, great pick up, plenty of space for family. It is definitely going to work really well for what we bought it for which is getting around town, ferrying the kids about etc.
    As we have offstreet parking we are getting a charger installed so that whole issue will be taken care of.
    On the regen point we started off not using it for the first day, but was using it extensively today and it was working really well once you got used to the impact (basically like getting used to new brakes on a new car). Also makes quite a difference on power consumption which was interesting to see.
    Also interesting is the whole etiquette that seems to be around use of chargers/waiting for a charger etc !

Master
    Thanks for all the revenue replies, very interesting on driving style too.

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    We had a Q4 delivered a few days back. Overall great car. Quiet, responsive, great pick up, plenty of space for family. It is definitely going to work really well for what we bought it for which is getting around town, ferrying the kids about etc.
    As we have offstreet parking we are getting a charger installed so that whole issue will be taken care of.
    On the regen point we started off not using it for the first day, but was using it extensively today and it was working really well once you got used to the impact (basically like getting used to new brakes on a new car). Also makes quite a difference on power consumption which was interesting to see.
    Also interesting is the whole etiquette that seems to be around use of chargers/waiting for a charger etc !
    I’d be interested in your real world range experience?

I’ve ordered an I4 but we are considering one of these for my better half….

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Did you ask what they are actually doing?

I stopped having my van “serviced” long ago as there is nothing for them to do for their £200. The ticked list is just inspection of the obvious things. A £40 MOT is much more thorough!

Servicing of EVs is currently just a con because we are all conditioned to believe that a car has to have a full service history or it’s going to be less reliable. This may be true of ICE but definitely isn’t true of an electric motor.
    Another owner just told me The service is free in France

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    This has definitely changed as more people drive EVs. I remember seeing notes in windscreens so could call if wanted the charger and vacating my charger for people.

Now chargers are frequently blocked, especially in London by both ICE cars who assume an EV won't need it but last night by a parked not charging EV - unfortunately idle charges only work if you are connected!

Now chargers are frequently blocked, especially in London by both ICE cars who assume an EV won't need it but last night by a parked not charging EV - unfortunately idle charges only work if you are connected!
    When this happens at a Tesla Supercharger (I.e the Tesla is using the space but not plugged in) it seems etiquette is to plug the charging cable into offending Tesla. That way the owner will get pinged on their app if they are about to get idle fees and move it- and if they don't they pay £1 a minute for the privilege.

Master
    When this happens at a Tesla Supercharger (I.e the Tesla is using the space but not plugged in) it seems etiquette is to plug the charging cable into offending Tesla. That way the owner will get pinged on their app if they are about to get idle fees and move it- and if they don't they pay £1 a minute for the privilege.
    How do they open the charge flap on the offending Tesla?

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    How do they open the charge flap on the offending Tesla?
    It opens automatically I believe when a supercharger nozzle is within a foot or so