closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 77 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,850 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Interesting thanks...am I right these are about a 50k car new, if buying one, not on a scheme?
    The C40 Core is £47.4k from Volvo, and is pretty well equipped even in base spec. Probably makes most sense not loading it up with kit.

If Volvo shaped EVs are of interest, the new EX30 starts at just under £34k and has some bells and whistles, which I know you’re not keen on! 🙂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Quick update after 12 months of all electric Volvo C40 use. Covered 5k miles @ an average of 37kWh per 100km.

Pros:
    Quick, quiet etc, exactly as you'd expect
    Cheap to run as still not used a public charger and lots of free charging over the summer from solar
    Much better mileage in the summer, more like 20-25kWh per 100km

Cons:
    Range definitely not the 280 miles suggested, probably more like 220 unless you turn everything off
    "mpg" not as good as I see others quoting
    Terrible rear visibility (the XC40 would be a smarter choice)
    Software has had a few glitches and really not much of an improvement on the 65 plate XC90

Overall:
    Not perfect but definitely a viable option for our particular set of requirements.

I recently took delivery of my XC40 Twin.

range is as you say..... suits my lifestyle at the moment. Cracking all round car and some very cheap miles if utilising a cheap overnight tariff!

Absolute pleasure to drive! stunning cars and wow the power!!! took a mate out for a quick spin and he set he felt the fluid in his head move lol. Doesnt have much up there you see. GL with yours

Having taken the plunge I’m expecting delivery of a Cupra Born next week but the home charge point looks like it’ll be a longer wait. Luckily I have a neighbour who has been running a Ford Mach e for about 2 years and we’ve arranged a beer or two to discuss the local charger situation - and when the car arrives a guided tour of what is where. He’s also offered me the use of his charger whilst I wait for mine - I didn’t realise that using an app he will be able to see the precise charge so I can pay him back to the penny. I have to say, since ordering the car I’ve noticed a lot more charging points than I expected- once you have an interest it’s surprising how many you see in your travels. My daily commute is less than 30 miles driving on country roads, and we have a driveway so it seems a bit of a no brainer in our circumstances. And this is in North Norfolk which isn’t the most technologically cutting edge area! As my neighbour points out, there are lots of chargers which have been used exclusively up until now by the second homers who flock here in their droves in black Tesla’s, polestars and enormous SUV’s - outside holiday season it’s the turn of the locals to take advantage, not that I’ll need it much when my charger arrives. In another point filling in the online details for the charger company was a mission, feels like I need at least an O level in electrical systems to work it out!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Having taken the plunge I’m expecting delivery of a Cupra Born next week but the home charge point looks like it’ll be a longer wait. Luckily I have a neighbour who has been running a Ford Mach e for about 2 years and we’ve arranged a beer or two to discuss the local charger situation - and when the car arrives a guided tour of what is where. He’s also offered me the use of his charger whilst I wait for mine - I didn’t realise that using an app he will be able to see the precise charge so I can pay him back to the penny. I have to say, since ordering the car I’ve noticed a lot more charging points than I expected- once you have an interest it’s surprising how many you see in your travels. My daily commute is less than 30 miles driving on country roads, and we have a driveway so it seems a bit of a no brainer in our circumstances. And this is in North Norfolk which isn’t the most technologically cutting edge area! As my neighbour points out, there are lots of chargers which have been used exclusively up until now by the second homers who flock here in their droves in black Tesla’s, polestars and enormous SUV’s - outside holiday season it’s the turn of the locals to take advantage, not that I’ll need it much when my charger arrives. In another point filling in the online details for the charger company was a mission, feels like I need at least an O level in electrical systems to work it out!
    Surely with such low daily use you'll just be able to charge off a 13A/3.6kW socket whilst you wait for a higher rated charge point to be installed? I used Octopus/Ohme to install a 7kW outlet as I wanted it all compatible for switching to the 7.5p/kWh overnight rate and it was a doddle.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    The C40 Core is £47.4k from Volvo, and is pretty well equipped even in base spec. Probably makes most sense not loading it up with
    I have the Core model and I agree it is generously specced for the entry (poverty spec) model, with panoramic roof and reversing camera etc.

The only thing I added was a nice paint colour and the winter pack for heat seats/steering wheel and rapid defrost. The heated steering wheel is my wife’s favourite.

The C40 Core is £47.4k from Volvo, and is pretty well equipped even in base spec. Probably makes most sense not loading it up with kit.

If Volvo shaped EVs are of interest, the new EX30 starts at just under £34k and has some bells and whistles, which I know you’re not keen on! 
    Still far too early doors for me to have any more than a general interest T, will have a squint at the EX30 though, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Surely with such low daily use you'll just be able to charge off a 13A/3.6kW socket whilst you wait for a higher rated charge point to be installed? I used Octopus/Ohme to install a 7kW outlet as I wanted it all compatible for switching to the 7.5p/kWh overnight rate and it was a doddle.
    That was my initial thought process but I don’t think the car comes with a granny charger and they look pretty expensive just to tide me over for a couple of weeks - especially if it then sits in the boot for years unused!

If Volvo shaped EVs are of interest, the new EX30 starts at just under £34k and has some bells and whistles, which I know you’re not keen on! 
    Mine's the twin motor (I wanted AWD) with a few extras so came out a bit more.

That was my initial thought process but I don’t think the car comes with a granny charger and they look pretty expensive just to tide me over for a couple of weeks - especially if it then sits in the boot for years unused!
    I’d be surprised if it didn’t come with a couple of cables for different wattage. Mine did.

I hope you’re right - it being 2023 I’m always surprised to get free milk in my £3.89 latte!

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I’d be surprised if it didn’t come with a couple of cables for different wattage. Mine did.
    I think most manufacturers only provide the standard charging cables these days and the granny chargers are an extra.

I could be wrong though and the granny charger is very useful to keep in the car. Whilst charging may be very slow, it can be used anywhere that you find a three pin socket.

Oh, right. Mine came with both. Useful for nicking some of the in-law's electricity in return for having to spend some time with them.

Oh, right. Mine came with both.
    Same here.

Tesla here came with both but I don’t think they still do.

Mine came with both too but that was eight years ago. We’ve definitely looked at some where the granny charger is extra though.

Is anyone looking at Fisker?

The Ocean looks very interesting 440 mile with the hyper range battery.

Oh, right. Mine came with both. Useful for nicking some of the in-law's electricity in return for having to spend some time with them.
    Most expensive power point in Britain, then?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post

I have one eye on these. If they are as good as they claim then I'd be interested when the i4 goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Most expensive power point in Britain, then?
    Our youngest and I play Bigot Bingo when we're in their company.

Lol

Master
    Sounds like my parents in law lol

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    I have one eye on these. If they are as good as they claim then I'd be interested when the i4 goes.
    I'm still running an oil burner at the moment but hoping it's as good as the marketing, seems it could be a leveler for price and range anxiety.

Master
    I'm still running an oil burner at the moment but hoping it's as good as the marketing, seems it could be a leveler for price and range anxiety.
    Reviews suggest the range really is that good, it's pretty well screwed together (but not BMW quality inside) but that it's not exactly a rewarding drive as it's heavy (about 400kg more than a Model 3, for example) and the steering is so-so. Plus it's (yet another) new-to-these-shores brand and they're not all going to survive, so heaven only knows what the residuals will be. Best to acquire it on a lease, for so many reasons.

Personally I'd go for the lower-power one - it's still got a 280 mile range, rides a lot better and costs £35k.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There have been a few articles of late regards to range on really cold days -4 along with having the heater on it can cut range by a third. Now I know on some cars you can spec a battery booster pump that warms the battery which will alleviate the cold start condition, but at £1000 on the Kia EV6 it’s another expense.

Master
    Blog Entries

The entry level model in the US starts at 40k US probably £60k here if you can get one

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    There have been a few articles of late regards to range on really cold days -4 along with having the heater on it can cut range by a third. Now I know on some cars you can spec a battery booster pump that warms the battery which will alleviate the cold start condition, but at £1000 on the Kia EV6 it’s another expense.
    I take delivery of a Cupra Born at the weekend, the home charger goes in a week later so I’m watching the weather with interest! - apparently you’re best to heat the car before you unplug it in the morning (which makes sense) - no idea if you can preheat the battery too, I’ll find out. At least that will work on my outward trip, no chargers at the office yet! - I feel like I’ll learn a lot once the car and charger are in place - lots on you tube prepping me!

Master
    I take delivery of a Cupra Born at the weekend, the home charger goes in a week later so I’m watching the weather with interest! - apparently you’re best to heat the car before you unplug it in the morning (which makes sense) - no idea if you can preheat the battery too, I’ll find out. At least that will work on my outward trip, no chargers at the office yet! - I feel like I’ll learn a lot once the car and charger are in place - lots on you tube prepping me!
    thats good advice but depending on your mileage you may only charge once a week.....

I have a friendly neighbour opposite who’s offered the use of his charger as a back-up plan. He’s also offered a tour of the local charging points. Such is the exciting life of a bearded TZ-UK member in his 50’s! Still haven’t decided what watch to wear to mark the occasion - gotta be something suitably electric!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Would be nice to know how you get on with this cold weather coming up.

I was getting around about 320 during the summer out my ID5, I'm now getting about 280. I went to Reading to drop off a watch to a fellow member on Saturday and was getting about 3.5 miles per KW

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I was getting around about 320 during the summer out my ID5, I'm now getting about 280. I went to Reading to drop off a watch to a fellow member on Saturday and was getting about 3.5 miles per KW
    Sounds about right, most of my trips are higher speed longer ones, average over the summer has been 3.4 miles per kWh, last couple of trips in single figure temps and todays at around zero were 3.0, a drop in range of around 12%. That’s on the ID.4 GTX with the 82kWh battery, 77kWh usable.

The Tesla M3 LR is considerably better efficiency wise, it’s a more aerodynamic car and it does have a heat pump, but it still loses a bit of range.

ICE vehicles do too of course, it’s just not as noticeable when you have the equivalent of at least 450kWh of fuel onboard.

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

This is not the Dear Wife Thread, so not having a go at the missus for mashing an alloy a few weeks back, or yesterday properly obliterating a tyre on a metal kerb by failing to merge properly. I knew you would all be subsidising my maintenance package.

Anyway, I had to use Volvo assistance who arranged a low loader to get the car Kwik Fit, as a can of sealant doesn’t go far when a one inch hole is ripped into the tyre.

There is only one continental OEM tyre of this size in the whole country (255/45/R19/V/XL). They are going to DPD it across from Bristol, but if for any reason they can’t locate it, it is on 3 week back order from continental.

Free parking in Kwik Fit in the meantime.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 5th December 2023 at 21:38.

How does that work exactly? 1 tyre in the whole of the UK??!! - I really don’t understand why tyres come in so many sizes and flavours for modern cars - a bit of standardisation would surely be better for everyone, not least the consumer?!

H...would surely be better for everyone, not least the consumer?!
    Since when was that even a consideration?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Since when was that even a consideration?
    Oh yes, silly me!!

How does that work exactly? 1 tyre in the whole of the UK??!! - I really don’t understand why tyres come in so many sizes and flavours for modern cars - a bit of standardisation would surely be better for everyone, not least the consumer?!
    Many factors - wheel size, application (winter, off road, performance), tyre profile (std or low profile), speed rating, wear rating, run flat, fuel economy effects, etc.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

The same manager at Kwik Fit said they are nationally so short of Model Y tyres, that he is hoarding any of these tyres he physically on has on his shelves.

This is not the Dear Wife Thread, so not having a go at the missus for mashing an alloy a few weeks back, or yesterday properly obliterating a tyre on a metal kerb by failing to merge properly. I knew you would all be subsidising my maintenance package.

Anyway, I had to use Volvo assistance who arranged a low loader to get the car Kwik Fit, as a can of sealant doesn’t go far when a one inch hole is ripped into the tyre.

There is only one continental OEM tyre of this size in the whole country (255/45/R19/V/XL). They are going to DPD it across from Bristol, but if for any reason they can’t locate it, it is on 3 week back order from continental.

Free parking in Kwik Fit in the meantime.
    Only one that Kwik Fit has access to but others may well have stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Only one that Kwik Fit has access to but others may well have stock.
    It wasn’t Kwik Fit that had the single tyre in stock. It was the U.K. distributor that Kwik Fit (and presumably other tyre shops) have access to. Granted other places may have had one on the shelf somewhere. The point was that supply is very low.

I could have got a Pirelli, but wanted to match the brand on the rear axle, especially as the car has on done 4k miles

It wasn’t Kwik Fit that had the single tyre in stock. It was the U.K. distributor that Kwik Fit (and presumably other tyre shops) have access to. Granted other places may have had one on the shelf somewhere. The point was that supply is very low.

I could have got a Pirelli, but wanted to match the brand on the rear axle, especially as the car has on done 4k miles
    This happened when the RR Evoque was launched - a few guys I worked with had punctures in the early days and getting tyres was difficult in the first few months.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Yes realise this.

My point was that that if you don't want to wait someone may have one - you could always get your wife to ring around other tyre retailers...

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes realise this.

My point was that that if you don't want to wait someone may have one - you could always get your wife to ring around other tyre retailers...
    I am limited to whoever Zenith has a contract with.

And my wife ringing around tyre shops made me chuckle. She just threw the keys at me and told me to sort it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

And my wife ringing around tyre shops made me chuckle. She just threw the keys at me and told me to sort it.

What did Volvo say? I’ve recently found out the dealers have been cheaper for tyres than the tyre companies .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    What did Volvo say? I’ve recently found out the dealers have been cheaper for tyres than the tyre companies .

The dealer is the cheapest for tyres on my wife's Suzuki, free coffee while you wait, and they wash the car before giving it back

Master
    Had to replace the rears on my car recently, and they’re an uncommon size. VW dealer had two they could get next day, but I thought they’d be mad expensive compared to elsewhere.

After a bit of shopping around and seeing they were only £30 a tyre cheaper, and had a 7-10 day lead time, I went back to VW and asked if they would price match, and they did.

That’s twice now I’ve found the main dealer competitive for tyres, which is a pleasant surprise.

No good if you have to go where your lease company says you have to though, but I don’t have a lease.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post

Well, I learned a lesson. If Volvo assistance tow you to the Volvo dealer and they can’t resolve the issue, then they provide you with a courtesy car.

If they tow you somewhere else they don’t. Not that I needed a courtesy car, as I bike to work and the wife just used our crappy second car, which she luckily she was planning to use anyway to pick up the Christmas tree.

I had just assumed Zenith would want it done at Kwik Fit. Tyre got shipped across country and replaced today, so back to normality.

The tyre was absolutely goosed, but somehow the diamond cut alloy survived without so much as a scrape, so that was one bit of better news.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    The dealer is the cheapest for tyres on my wife's Suzuki, free coffee while you wait, and they wash the car before giving it back
    I thought the dealers just whisked the tyre off to the local Kwik Fit/National/ATS to get it done and lumped a margin on top for the privilege?

I thought the dealers just whisked the tyre off to the local Kwik Fit/National/ATS to get it done and lumped a margin on top for the privilege?
    Some may well do. Our local Suzuki dealer does it there and then though, and undercut any online price I can find.

The only disadvantage is you have to prebook, no drop in like Kwik Fit etc. This though is mitigated by the fact you never have to wait in line for them to get around to your car, only for them to actually do the job. And as I said earlier, free coffee and a car wash too. I have no idea if this is Suzuki UK policy or if we just have a very good dealership on our doorstep.
    The local Ford dealership also has its own tyre bay, no idea how competitive they are though.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 7th December 2023 at 20:53.

Zenith buy Tyres transactionally unlike most lease companies who underwrite their Tyre deals with one distributor and therefore have to use only one Distributor. Zenith buy from Kwik-Fit, Halfords, National Tyres, Fit 4 Fleet, FTN as well as main dealers. The majority are bought from Kwik-Fit as their the largest UK distributor and they own one of the largest wholesalers (Stapeltons).
    Kwik-Fit will also buy from anywhere on Zeniths behalf, ie all options will be explored.

Your in good hands. PM me if you need help