closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 47 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,350 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Hydrogen cars use fuel cells, don't see anyone suggesting combustion engines.
    To be fair though, hydrogen could be used in internal combustion engines too so all the ICE vehicles could potentially be converted to run on H2 which would prolong their life and allow us old farts to continue to drive classic vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    To be fair though, hydrogen could be used in internal combustion engines too so all the ICE vehicles could potentially be converted to run on H2 which would prolong their life and allow us old farts to continue to drive classic vehicles.
    Suppose it could and conversions exist but will never be mainstream, too inefficient.

Suppose it could and conversions exist but will never be mainstream, too inefficient.
    No, of course not, but if you’re only doing 1000 miles a year in your ancient jalopy, efficiency really wouldn’t be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post

ps - totally agree about the energy density in terms of volume, but energy use by vehicles is not (for the most part) governed by volume, it is governed by weight, and hydrogen wins that by miles
    Except in personal cars where the volume is rather important - I don’t think hydrogen will ever be viable for cars. Large vehicles like trucks, earth movers, construction perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Except in personal cars where the volume is rather important - I don’t think hydrogen will ever be viable for cars. Large vehicles like trucks, earth movers, construction perhaps.
    Range of Toyota’s Mirai is 402 miles, better than most EVs.

My point was not about range but about the internal space taken up by the hydrogen tank - and was responding to an earlier comment that fuel volume didn’t matter only the mass, however, for a private car where you want to carry people and stuff internal space is important.

However, that is only one of the drawbacks of hydrogen for personal transport:

- efficiency, cracking hydrogen in the first place and then turning hydrogen back in to motive power are relatively energy inefficient;
    - transporting the stuff, extremely difficult due to the small molecule size, corrosive nature and low natural density; and the lack of an existing infrastructure to piggy back off for distribution;
    - storing the stuff; same reasons as above plus the cost and potentially limited lifespan of high pressure containers
    - the natural volatility of it as a fuel, and the potentially serious consequences of an accident or fire; see the unwillingness to allow hydrogen vehicles in the Channel Tunnel
    - the complexity of the resultant vehicle - hydrogen tank; fuel cell; electric motor when compared with a BEV

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Sorry, but there are hundreds of wasted litres built into almost every car. If you wanted a 100 litre fuel tank in a relatively small car (or 2 x 50 litre ones), it could be fitted in with ease. If you want it to carry an extra 500kg, you'll struggle

Sorry, but there are hundreds of wasted litres built into almost every car. If you wanted a 100 litre fuel tank in a relatively small car (or 2 x 50 litre ones), it could be fitted in with ease. If you want it to carry an extra 500kg, you'll struggle
    Given the effort that is devoted to vehicle packaging and space efficiency I would be quite surprised if that was really the case.

In any event the required shape of high pressure hydrogen tanks makes them extremely challenging to package and locate in a reasonably sized passenger car, much more difficult than a petrol tank.

See for example this factsheet from the US Dept of energy, which states: For a 300 mile driving range, an FCEV will need about 5 kg of hydrogen. At 700 bar (~10,000 psi) a storage system would have a volume of about 200 liters or 3-4 times the volume of gasoline tanks typically found in cars today. A key challenge, therefore, is how to store sufficient quantities of hydrogen onboard without sacrificing passenger and cargo space.

Master
    Good thing too, given that there are only 14 hydrogen filling stations in the UK. Whereas every house has a plug socket.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Good thing too, given that there are only 14 hydrogen filling stations in the UK. Whereas every house has a plug socket.
    I think it's only considered polite to plug in if you know the owner.

Master
    Though part of the challenge is putting the stuff that burns & explodes relatively easily in a safe a space as possible so that when there’s a crash it minimises those risks.

Still loving my Tesla 18 months on. If I had a time machine I definitely wouldn't use it to get something else.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Still loving my Tesla 18 months on. If I had a time machine I definitely wouldn't use it to get something else.

If I had a DeLorean I'd probably only drive it from time to time

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

So glad I moved to Octopus Intelligent.

Prices have recently reduced to 7.5p/kW between 23:30 to 5:30 and around 39p/kW outside of those times.

It is only costing me around £5 to fully charge my Tesla Y giving me 325 miles (to be fair in real life driving I get about 260 miles)

Saving a lot more than a comparable petrol car. Of course, public charges are still much more.
    Last edited by paw3001; 2nd May 2023 at 13:05.

Master
    This is my running costs for last month. Next month will be less as Octopus have just reduced my electric prices.
    I was paying about £320 in fuel for the same period in my last car.

Similar here but we charge at night due to economy seven.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post

Excellent :-)

Just put in an order for an EQC, so hoping that Ev’s are indeed a viable option now! Anxiety starting to creep in now about whether I’ve ordered the right car, given the number of miles / kWh (rather than range) but there we go.
    Any advice on wallbox? I’ve got quotes for a zappi. Thinking about future proofing with the solar panel integration, but wondering if there are any other options/ experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    Just put in an order for an EQC, so hoping that Ev’s are indeed a viable option now! Anxiety starting to creep in now about whether I’ve ordered the right car, given the number of miles / kWh (rather than range) but there we go.
    Any advice on wallbox? I’ve got quotes for a zappi. Thinking about future proofing with the solar panel integration, but wondering if there are any other options/ experiences?

Zappi/solar combo here and it seems to be working well so far.

We went with Simpson as it’s on the front of the house. Looks good, works well, would buy again. If it was out of sight we might have gone with something cheaper. The electrician who we got to fit it commented a few times that it was great quality. It was the first he’d fitted.

Hi
    We have had our Easee wall box 18 months which works alongside our Solar/battery system. Never had any problems at all with it in this time. I can thoroughly recommend it.
    All the best.
    Darren

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post

That’s very, very good!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Hi
    We have had our Easee wall box 18 months which works alongside our Solar/battery system. Never had any problems at all with it in this time. I can thoroughly recommend it.
    All the best.
    Darren
    Darren still with So or moved tariff?

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Darren still with So or moved tariff?
    Yes, still with SO, my tariff changed from April 1st, I dread to think how much it will be this month. March 2023 cost a tad under £68.

We splashed out on Andersen for the looks. Works well and does its best to maximise solar when it’s sunny.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Thanks for the replies. It seems that they are all pretty good and do as expected. I guess the styling and installation are the differentiators.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Anybody tried to sell EV recently?

I’m in process of changing cars atm. And was told valuation of mine had gone down 10k in two weeks apparently. Dealers are still selling for similar to January prices , but offering much much less for some reason.

What’s causing this you reckon? Cheaper petrol and millions Teslas around perhaps?

Cazoo offered 28k on 17th of April. Just under 20 today!
    Last edited by Toshk; 4th May 2023 at 20:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post

I’m in process of changing cars atm. And was told valuation of mine had gone down 10k in two weeks apparently. Dealers are still selling for similar to January prices , but offering much much less for some reason.

What’s causing this you reckon? Cheaper petrol and millions Teslas around perhaps?

10 grand 😲 Bit of a shocker !!

I think that Tesla dropping their new prices recently, has spooked the dealers. They are worried that others will follow suit and they’ll be left with stock that’s valued below the dealer’s buying price.

Offering really low valuations now is insurance against being left out of pocket.

Journeyman
    Yes, cheaper petrol, Tesla dropping new prices and plenty being released in to the used market as the early, cheap lease deals come to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    10 grand 😲 Bit of a shocker !!
    It is. Thought it was the make - Chinese MG, but ran a few reg numbers of much more expensive cars and still bad. 72reg six months old Ionic 5 - 27k. Half RRP pretty much
    Last edited by Toshk; 4th May 2023 at 20:38.

Will market improve though? Once those ex lease Teslas go?

Craftsman
    This will be good for the market. EVs over priced and need to come down.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Well dealers are still selling at the usual prices, so no actual savings for buyers.

Well dealers are still selling at the usual prices, so no actual savings for buyers.
    No different than watch dealers recently.

Master
    Blog Entries

This has had me looking at Ioniq 5s again. Residuals are not great for them are they.
    Last edited by Middo; 9th May 2023 at 21:15.

Master

What model is that, colour?

Would make a good buy for someone wanting decent motor & dipping toe into EV market.

Lots of new models being revived this year & Tesla supposedly releasing M2 compact, rumours £25-30k to shake up market.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    What model is that, colour?

Would make a good buy for someone wanting decent motor & dipping toe into EV market.

Lots of new models being revived this year & Tesla supposedly releasing M2 compact, rumours £25-30k to shake up market.
    Absolutely. Great EV for the money.

Arctic White Long Range Trophy. Only about 1500 miles on it since December. And full panoramic sunroof not available to order anymore.

Currently spending some time in Cannes where the film festival is just starting
    I see BMW is a major Sponsor, making 200 all electric vehicles available .
    Went for a long walk last evening along the coast and in one of the marina car parks, found their base for the event.
    Along with 8 large MAN (Volkswagen) turbo diesel generating sets parked up connected to the biggest bank of charging points you’ve ever seen
    I’ve worked in and around that type of kit all my life and I’d reckon on about 4mw of diesel power generation there.
    The irony was not lost…
    https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...al?language=en
    Last edited by GOAT; 14th May 2023 at 08:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    Nice to see the figures above for home charging which sadly isn’t an option for me. Try doing 1.5k mikes a month using public network and fast chargers and the maths paints a very different picture.
    Biggest mistake I’ve ever made plus the Ionic 5 I have had so many intermittent and serious issues that I’ve evidenced to the lease company although they still won’t accept that so I will have to go legal.
    Had to buy a second car as the Hyundai just can’t be relied upon and is just so unpredictable and unsafe … suffice to say for me a 15 year old Merc CLK 320 CDI is more economical, more reliable, more fun to drive and gives me hours of my life back each month…. 3.8k to get out of my lease and I’m seriously contemplating it as with 2.5 yrs left to run its probably cost effective and certainly will relieve a lot of my stress!
    The great electric car that won't do one jot to save the planet. Cars from new are worthless three years down the line. Dealers cannot sell them. What do we do make a new batch and destroy the planet some more. The world has gone mad. Does anyone take into account the destruction of the planet even non EV related, building all the current junk EGR valves DPF filters and even more junk we don't need, lane assist, the list is endless making all this junk then the fact of all the repairs to people going backwards and forwards to mend the junk. The whole thing is a joke. The world is building endless crap and there is only one outcome.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hill View Post
    The great electric car that won't do one jot to save the planet. Cars from new are worthless three years down the line. Dealers cannot sell them. What do we do make a new batch and destroy the planet some more. The world has gone mad. Does anyone take into account the destruction of the planet even non EV related, building all the current junk EGR valves DPF filters and even more junk we don't need, lane assist, the list is endless making all this junk then the fact of all the repairs to people going backwards and forwards to mend the junk. The whole thing is a joke. The world is building endless crap and there is only one outcome.

It’s been said before in this very thread, but the only environmentally sound car is no car at all.

Damming EVs because they use resources to build, like any motor vehicle, seems a flawed argument though. EVs definitely have a role to play in making private car ownership a little more sustainable and there are unarguable benefits over the life of one compared to a fossil fuelled vehicle, even charged from the UK electricity grid.

Worthless after three years? What is that kind of statement even based on, as it’s clearly not accurate?

Some used car dealers have had their fingers burnt after buying high at the peak of the used EV bubble, but that’s their problem, and used EV prices are heading where they need to be. Lots of people were saying they were too expensive and not for the ‘ordinary man’, but that’s changed and is changing.

I don’t know why the topic of a car powered by electricity rather than petrol or diesel seems to cause so much angst, but I’m with you on the use of resources to build crap that arguably we don’t need, including the device I’m writing this on.

We need about 3 planet earths to sustain our ‘lifestyles’ the rate we’re getting through this one, and building and using more cars of any type won’t help.

Master
    The man who keeps his car 10 to 20 years is the man who thinks about the planet. Not this EV junk that needs replacing all the time.

The man who keeps his car 10 to 20 years is the man who thinks about the planet. Not this EV junk that needs replacing all the time.
    I intend to keep my EV for at least 10 years and there's no reason why not with far fewer points of failure than ICE. I'd prefer a decent and sustainable public transport infrastructure but it doesn't look like that is happening any time soon.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Word.

Is that true though? The man who buys a car and keeps it for 3 years sells it to someone else who keeps it for 3 years who sells it to someone else who keeps it for 3 years and so on. The car will be scrapped at the end of its useful life regardless how many owners it has had and the result is the same number of cars are manufactured whether owners keep a car for 10 years or 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Word.
    Assuming you mean that in the sense of 'truth', the first sentence, yes. The second is bollocks, EV batteries are projected to last between 100,000 and 200,000 miles, or about 15 to 20 years. Plus there are far fewer moving parts than in ICE vehicles and many of those wear at a far slower rate so there are fewer bits that need replacing at service.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master

Anyone that concerned about the planet isnt driving, the man in your scenario is thinking about his wallet. Second part of your sentence is verbal diarrhea.

Master
    The great electric car that won't do one jot to save the planet. Cars from new are worthless three years down the line. Dealers cannot sell them.

Any chance of some evidence to support this, we like facts here on TZ-UK.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    EV batteries are projected to last between 100,000 and 200,000 miles, or about 15 to 20 years. Plus there are far fewer moving parts than in ICE vehicles and many of those wear at a far slower rate so there are fewer bits that need replacing at service.
    Word!

Master
    Just watch the saga unfold, don't really need to comment any more.

Master
    Just watch the saga unfold, don't really need to comment any more.

Probably best