closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 31 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Master
    I’ll just leave this here ..

Petrol price rise warning after Opec oil output cut https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63149044

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I’ll just leave this here ..

Petrol price rise warning after Opec oil output cut https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63149044
    Great…let’s wait for all the w**k**s to start panic buying before the price increase.

Thanks guys. The Simpson looks really good but untethered unfortunately. Shame as I'm put off the Anderson due to the size and that would have been perfect.

We have a tiny driveway and a 1m cable would probably do it but I definitely want a tethered and no earthing rod.

I think it'll be an Anderson or Hyperbolt but hopefully you can turn off/down the neon lights!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thanks guys. The Simpson looks really good but untethered unfortunately. Shame as I'm put off the Anderson due to the size and that would have been perfect.

We have a tiny driveway and a 1m cable would probably do it but I definitely want a tethered and no earthing rod.

I think it'll be an Anderson or Hyperbolt but hopefully you can turn off/down the neon lights!
    You can pre order a tethered version in a couple of weeks, by the looks of it.

https://simpson-partners.com/news/ho...ed-ev-charger/

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    You can pre order a tethered version in a couple of weeks, by the looks of it.

https://simpson-partners.com/news/ho...ed-ev-charger/
    Amazing, thank you. Will wait a few weeks before ordering one so I can see the S&P offering.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is an interest take on the EV debate https://youtu.be/tH8ll5VboC8

I fall into I want one for a change and to try. Fuel and eco reasons don’t come into it

I’ve just had a quick peek at the MG EV4; it’s a lot of car for the money.

I think they’re going to be quite popular.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’ve just had a quick peek at the MG EV4; it’s a lot of car for the money.

I think they’re going to be quite popular.
    I have one on order, due in the next 6 or so weeks allegedly. It's an opportunity to dip my toe into EV ownership at a (to me, anyway) justifiable price point. I've test driven one, and there are obviously some areas that aren't exactly top notch, but for the price I was quite surprised at the level of tech and how well it drove.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post

I fall into I want one for a change and to try. Fuel and eco reasons don’t come into it
    Somebody posted it a week or so ago, and whilst it’s a slickly presented video, I’m not sure it’s saying anything new, but perhaps it is new to his fan base?

The video comments say a lot, certainly seem to be confirming the bias of those commenting?

The criticism made of EVs (expensive to buy and run, more polluting than you think, high performance, don’t solve congestion, wide range of efficiency etc) are all criticisms that can be levelled at a car powered by anything. I’m not sure why EVs have to solve every problem to be useful and accepted.

Again, ICE vehicles aren’t all going to be scrapped come 2030/2035, it’s going to be a long transition and EVs are going to get even better and cheaper over the next 10-20 years, so that and an improved charging infrastructure will answer the motoring needs of most people I think.
    Last edited by Tooks; 8th October 2022 at 14:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post

Think he's just using the platform as a sound board tbh. I see on the info post about the video he states that people are being forced down the EV route. Really? We aren’t currently being forced in to anything, ICE vehicles are still being made and its not like petrol and diesel will simply disappear. When you consider there has been, for most of motoring history anyway, little alternative to petrol and diesel i see no reason why an argument about being forced down the EV route is even made.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My ionic 5 was delivered this morning. So far I’ve only done the 17 mile trip to work but already I love it. The regen braking is seamless and works so well. 3 years with this single motor ultimate and then either a 6 or another 5 with twin motors and pan roof I think.
    I’ve been a petrol head for 32 years and owned over 130 cars of all shapes, sizes, power and fuels but this thing has me totally converted to EV
    Will post licks when time allows but to my eye it’s a lovely bit of design. And very well built

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    My ionic 5 was delivered this morning. So far I’ve only done the 17 mile trip to work but already I love it. The regen braking is seamless and works so well. 3 years with this single motor ultimate and then either a 6 or another 5 with twin motors and pan roof I think.
    I’ve been a petrol head for 32 years and owned over 130 cars of all shapes, sizes, power and fuels but this thing has me totally converted to EV
    Will post licks when time allows but to my eye it’s a lovely bit of design. And very well built
    Tbh it was my favourite out the lot but the wife hated it, glad you’re enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Tbh it was my favourite out the lot but the wife hated it, glad you’re enjoying it.
    I’m with you on that but my wife also feels the same about them as yours does.

I asked about delivery on a new one and was quoted November 2023!

It came 2nd in our final two! It was a very tough call though......just love the design. Still patiently awaiting the arrival of our EV6.

Master
    love the ionic 5, gives me mk2 golf / lancia integrale on steroids vibes

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the comments guys and these days I don’t have a wife’s opinion to consider!
    Totally agree with the comment regarding comparison to a Lancia Delta Integrale from certain angles, it’s that mix of retro and Uber modern that appealed to me. I’ve had so many looks from other road users already but that might be as you see very few about

I’m currently looking our next family car and - having read various reviews and thought long and hard - I’m going to buy another ICE car and look at an EV in 3 years time. I’m not able to afford a Tesla or similar, everything in my price range - around £30k - seems to be a bit of a compromise. Poor range, 130 miles on a cold winters day, maybe a bit small, doesn’t drive very well, some are just plain ugly - and most are a big wait for delivery whatever you choose. I also enjoy driving, have always chosen a manual gearbox - I’ve had one automatic my wife and I both didn’t really enjoy - and the seeming lack of involvement and faffing about with different modes doesn’t appeal. Maybe I’m missing the point but I’m convinced there will be a far better, more convincing choice in 3 years time. I’ve looked at the e2008, Mokka, Leaf, EC4, all the VW’s are pretty much unavailable. Doesn’t help that I’m big and tall tbh either. Doesn’t help that North Norfolk where we live has great country roads and hardly any chargers compared to many places. We have a drive so a charger is t a problem but at the moment it really does feel like a compromise - the decent tech still seems to be at the luxury end sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before you give up, have a look at the MG range. The MG4, MG5 and ZSEV are all decent cars around your budget and with good range/large batteries.

Define 'decent tech'.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    My wife loves her i3 - although done less than 3,000 miles in a year

but I'm trying to persuade her to change it for a new Polo GTi

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post

These are great cars. I rented one before I got my Tesla and the i3 is like a Tardis - it's pretty big inside and very comfy to sit in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Define 'decent tech'.
    Lots of the reviews I’ve seen cite quirky touch buttons, software issues and slow touchscreens and user interfaces. The cars seem a bit gadgety for the sake of it - not the EV gadgetry necessarily, but they seem to stick lots of tech that I wouldn’t normally specify into EV’s as standard. These same issues don’t seem to be mentioned in ICE reviews - I prefer a car with buttons I can adjust when driving, not haptic pads or sliders. Just feels like it’s not quite there yet at my budget end. A quoted 200 miles range that is apparently a real world 130 doesn’t help either - I know most journeys are short etc but I really don’t want to faff about when currently I fill the tank once every 2-3 weeks at a garage 5 minutes drive from home and it takes about 10 minutes tops!

Before you give up, have a look at the MG range. The MG4, MG5 and ZSEV are all decent cars around your budget and with good range/large batteries.
    They look like a £10k car though - seen a few on the road and always thought ‘what’s that ugly car - oh, it’s an MG’ - daft I know but I just find the designs uninspiring.

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

As I said earlier, check out the MGs, they have more normal controls than, say, a Tesla. To be fair the Mercs and Audis have similar interiors to their ICE models too.

The range is also generally above 200 miles in all weathers and a quoted 200 mile range doesn’t equate to a real world 130 miles since the uptake of the WLTP system of measuring range.

Finally, if you are filling up every two to three weeks, you are unlikely to ever have to think about range if you leave the car charging at home on the drive. It’s likely to be at 100% every morning.

Edit : just seen your response. The MG4 and facelifted MG5 do look a lot better than the ZS and previous 5.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 28th October 2022 at 09:43.

Master
    I wouldn't buy an "MG" on principle. Any company that buys a "name" and puts it on their own product, doesn't get my vote. Just my opinion and don't shoot me for it!

https://www.google.com/search?client...&q=who+owns+MG
    Last edited by tixntox; 28th October 2022 at 10:38.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    I wouldn't buy an "MG" on principle. Any company that buys a "name" and puts it on their own product, doesn't get my vote. Just my opinion and don't shoot me for it!

https://www.google.com/search?client...&q=who+owns+MG

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/mg/hs/rel...%20for%20money.
    Each to their own but you should perhaps include Mini, Skoda, Seat, Audi, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Bentley Vauxhall etc on your list.

The truth is that there are very few names in the motoring works that are true to their roots.

And Triumph motorcycles too. Oh and Norton among others.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Lots of the reviews I’ve seen cite quirky touch buttons, software issues and slow touchscreens and user interfaces. The cars seem a bit gadgety for the sake of it - not the EV gadgetry necessarily, but they seem to stick lots of tech that I wouldn’t normally specify into EV’s as standard. These same issues don’t seem to be mentioned in ICE reviews - I prefer a car with buttons I can adjust when driving, not haptic pads or sliders. Just feels like it’s not quite there yet at my budget end. A quoted 200 miles range that is apparently a real world 130 doesn’t help either - I know most journeys are short etc but I really don’t want to faff about when currently I fill the tank once every 2-3 weeks at a garage 5 minutes drive from home and it takes about 10 minutes tops!
    Thanks for clarifying. In that case my £30k EV has decent tech. Proper buttons for climate adjustment, cruise control, lights and whatnot, an analogue speedo, and not much tech that I'm not bothered about like self parking. Looks very much like our last auto ICE car inside, and Mrs C would never have driven it otherwise. Not had any software glitches 10k miles in. Not sure about winter yet but getting 200miles comfortably from a quoted 239 range. I charge it twice a week at home or work and it takes less than 30 seconds to plug in which you get used to pretty quickly.

But it sounds as though an EV is not for you, and that's fine.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

This morning I was behind Dacia Jogger taxi. I assume it was electric partly because it had no exhaust I could see and it also took off like a scalded cat at the lights.
    The model was a new one on me, similar to the Duster but more squared off. I bet its relatively cheap too.

Master
    So long as you don't mind handing your money to the Chinese Communist Party. Mind you Volvo is the same now.

Blog Entries
    Jogger is Dacia's new SUV/Estate mix. It get's very good reviews, especially for VFM. I think they all come with small petrol engines? (No diesels or hybrid options that I'm aware of)

Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    So long as you don't mind handing your money to the Chinese Communist Party. Mind you Volvo is the same now.
    It’s not ideal but just about everything we buy these days is made in China!

Master
    Noticed fuel on the increase this am. Local Morrisons was 1.61 yesterday and 1.71 today. Same rise around other garages

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. In that case my £30k EV has decent tech. Proper buttons for climate adjustment, cruise control, lights and whatnot, an analogue speedo, and not much tech that I'm not bothered about like self parking. Looks very much like our last auto ICE car inside, and Mrs C would never have driven it otherwise. Not had any software glitches 10k miles in. Not sure about winter yet but getting 200miles comfortably from a quoted 239 range. I charge it twice a week at home or work and it takes less than 30 seconds to plug in which you get used to pretty quickly.

But it sounds as though an EV is not for you, and that's fine.
    Actually I’m still keen on an EV from an environmental point of view so I’m going to set some time aside to do a few test drives. You can browse as much internet as you like nowadays I guess, nothing beats sitting in a few and having a go. I do struggle to get comfy in a lot of cars due to my height and long legs, but I’ll definitely give it a go

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Actually I’m still keen on an EV from an environmental point of view so I’m going to set some time aside to do a few test drives. You can browse as much internet as you like nowadays I guess, nothing beats sitting in a few and having a go. I do struggle to get comfy in a lot of cars due to my height and long legs, but I’ll definitely give it a go

I’m 6:3 and they vast majority of EVs I’ve driven are all very comfortable. I guess they don’t have to conform to the standard body shape with a tunnel etc for shafts and engine bays which I’m guessing makes the inside more adaptable?
    I’m sure you’ll enjoy whatever you drive though as it’s a total new experience

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Jogger is Dacia's new SUV/Estate mix. It get's very good reviews, especially for VFM. I think they all come with small petrol engines? (No diesels or hybrid options that I'm aware of)
    I just had a quick look at the website and it appears to be petrol only as you say. Exhaust must be tucked away neatly.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post

Really love our i3S too. I have driven most of the modern EV’s and other than the slightly fidgety ride, still think it is as good as anything else I have driven. Although I did really like the Kia EV6, the Tesla Model 3 Performance was like warp speed in Starwars and I was mightily impressed with the new MG4. I am waiting for the Triumph dual motor MG4 to come out next year and will buy one to replace the i3S all being well.

Master
    Very happy with my Cupra Born, an ID3 in a different frock really but also a bit more sporty handling.

On twisty B roads which are abundant where I live it's really good fun, love the way you can set it up for bends using the B mode, and below 60 it is genuinely quite nippy.

I do have a Mk1 MX-5 and '98 Fireblade to fall back to if I need a bit of ICE, but just because you don't change gears and stuff, don't dismiss EVs as not being engaging to drive.

It's Golf sized which is what I wanted but the cabin is very spacious because the nose is so short not having to house an engine.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a little but it is indirectly relevant.

I have been made aware of this petition aiming at making solar panels compulsory on all new builds. I signed it; you may want to, too.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/617573
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Sorry for hijacking the thread a little but it is indirectly relevant.

I have been made aware of this petition aiming at making solar panels compulsory on all new builds. I signed it; you may want to, too.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/617573
    Currently a bargaining tool used by LA’s but I agree it should be compulsory.

EV charging points are now basically compulsory most of the time.

Plugged into the 3 pin plug for the first time this morning. Dear dear. Would love to get 3 phase in the house, jealous of those who have it, but first job is to decide on the colour scheme of the charger so we can actually buy one!

Plugged into the 3 pin plug for the first time this morning. Dear dear. Would love to get 3 phase in the house, jealous of those who have it, but first job is to decide on the colour scheme of the charger so we can actually buy one!
    You don’t need three phase, you can charge at over three times the speed with a single phase charge point.

Master
    A few months into Nissan Leaf ownership, and it's been brilliant so far

My wife has a few charge points installed at her workplace, so she drives for free now

Locally in NI, public charge points are also free, if we need topped up at the weekend (that won't last forever of course)

We're getting 3-phase installed in our new build, so will have a double socket 22Kw charge point for the inevitable 2nd electric car

The Leaf is actually quite nice to drive, and has been faultless

You don’t need three phase, you can charge at over three times the speed with a single phase charge point.
    I might be confused then. I thought 7kW is the norm for a single phase domestic property?

I know - painful isn't it...bear in mind you will be limited by the incar AC/DC converter which in my car is 16kw so I think even with 3 phase the gain is not huge, but getting off the 3 pin makes the world of difference to running a BEV. I know as was stuck on that for ages as moving house...

I might be confused then. I thought 7kW is the norm for a single phase domestic property?
    7kw is the norm from a 32 amp domestic charger but you’ll only get 2kw from a 13 amp, three pin socket.

Craftsman
    If not already and depending on current electricity tariff, have a look at Octopus Intelligent for 6 hours + off-peak charging @ 10p per kWh.

Peak is more expensive than current cap but you do get used to load shifting (dishwasher on delayed start etc)…. Guess depends how often you charge to whether worth it.

Thankfully managed to get on at 7.5p / 34p per kWh.

Master
    The standard Tesla charger only charges at 10A (as it should) on a 13A 3 pin.

That charger you’ve got can also charge at up to 32A, you can buy a lead that plugs into the charging unit that has a 32A Commando plug on it. You’ll need an electrician to fit you a 32A earthed switched CEEFORM socket to plug it into, to the current regs (so you’ll need a 32A Type B breaker in the consumer unit as well) but it does a good job.

That said, we’ve got rid of our Commando socket and fitted a Wallbox Pulsar Plus EVSE that does schedules, is App connected, has PEN protection so doesn’t need an earth rod, and complies with the forthcoming regs around randomised starts etc.

It’ll probably be a similar price fully installed as a properly installed 32A commando, so worth looking into.

7kw is the norm from a 32 amp domestic charger but you’ll only get 2kw from a 13 amp, three pin socket.
    Ah that makes sense now. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    The standard Tesla charger only charges at 10A (as it should) on a 13A 3 pin.

That charger you’ve got can also charge at up to 32A, you can buy a lead that plugs into the charging unit that has a 32A Commando plug on it. You’ll need an electrician to fit you a 32A earthed switched CEEFORM socket to plug it into, to the current regs (so you’ll need a 32A Type B breaker in the consumer unit as well) but it does a good job.

That said, we’ve got rid of our Commando socket and fitted a Wallbox Pulsar Plus EVSE that does schedules, is App connected, has PEN protection so doesn’t need an earth rod, and complies with the forthcoming regs around randomised starts etc.

It’ll probably be a similar price fully installed as a properly installed 32A commando, so worth looking into.
    Thanks Tooks

I'm about to order a charger in the next day or two. I was dead set on the new Simpson tethered unit but there's nowhere for the changing socket to go when not in use so it just has to dangle or go into a hollow/dummy socket which is a bit ugly.

The Tesla charger seems to have hole for the plug to go into when not in use and is only £425 Vs £700 for the cheapest tethered Simpson.

I don't mind spending money as it's on the front of the house but I might just go with the Tesla one to get the job done.

Thanks Tooks

I'm about to order a charger in the next day or two. I was dead set on the new Simpson tethered unit but there's nowhere for the changing socket to go when not in use so it just has to dangle or go into a hollow/dummy socket which is a bit ugly.

The Tesla charger seems to have hole for the plug to go into when not in use and is only £425 Vs £700 for the cheapest tethered Simpson.

I don't mind spending money as it's on the front of the house but I might just go with the Tesla one to get the job done.
    I went for Tesla. I think it looks nice and I think they are now doing colour matches or were at least planning to do so. However it doesn’t look as smart as the Simpson but if the cable is dangling that that will ruin the look somewhat!

The cable is thick but wraps nicely into the holder on the side and plus it has a nice button on the connector which when pressed opens the charger port.

It can do scheduled charging, can be locked to Tesla’s only or open to all, it needs to be connected to WiFi and works well with the Tesla App. However, it does need an Earth rod.

Total cost for me including installation and charger was around £950.