closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 87 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,350 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

I often do the opposite journey - FYI the super chargers at Fleet are open in both directions now (although up would be more useful to you and they have always been open) also Winnal is just off M3 and very fast chargers

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus, 55 KWH battery. Did Kingston-Poole-Kingston which is a 200 mile return trip, all on a single charge with 5% battery remaining. Had heating on in the car to 18 degrees, plus heated steering wheel and seats, radio etc.
    Not sure if you own or lease so you might not care but I don’t let mine go below 20% unless I can help it. Not good for a battery to go so low. Think you mentioned plugging in at 1% before too?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Not sure if you own or lease so you might not care but I don’t let mine go below 20% unless I can help it. Not good for a battery to go so low. Think you mentioned plugging in at 1% before too?
    As mentioned previously, batteries generally have buffer zones at both ends so going to zero or 100% isn’t really an issue as long as the battery isn’t left there for extended periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    As mentioned previously, batteries generally have buffer zones at both ends so going to zero or 100% isn’t really an issue as long as the battery isn’t left there for extended periods of time.
    Fair enough, didn’t know that. Thanks for the tip.

Master
    Lots in the press today on values of evs dropping and the cold weather issues.

That’s the downside of private EV ownership.

I will chuck the keys back after 3 years, and won’t bother washing the car in that time, let alone worrying if it gets to 1% or 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Read one article today which said EVs in Chicago are struggling to charge even when plugged in resulting in them being towed and another where national stats for the year in Norway said EVs handle cold weather better than ICE cars with lower breakdowns and call outs.

Spin spin spin.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

I will chuck the keys back after 3 years, and won’t bother washing the car in that time, let alone worrying if it gets to 1% or 100%.
    Could be worse, could be an ex company car. I remember years back when I wasn’t the sensible and calm person I now am saying my automatic BMW had an unofficial sport mode max which was when I put it in manual and simply refused to change gear. The car would panic and change for me when the revs went into redline for too long.

I remember a technician from Lex Autolease calling me one day asking wtf I was doing in the car that it needed oil changes every 8k miles when the schedule was 20k. I said it was probably a Friday car because I drive like a granny.

Wouldn’t like to be the poor person who bought that car as one former keeper.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Would take some of it with a pinch of salt though...certain sections of the press absolutely love to shit on EV's at every opportunity.

Blog Entries
    So funny reading all the EV Luddite’s comments on here who have not experienced life with an EV and being sucked in by the oil giant fuelled crazy press. Do I give a monkeys about -20 and EV’s……..erm, nope.

I have three years of Tesla Model 3 Performance and 45k miles under my belt so feel informed to comment. I currently due to circumstances drive wifey’s new PETROL powered BMW.

So, range. 350 days of the year my daily mileage was under a hundred miles. So range was never ever an issue. Our middle one settled after uni and lives in York, 220 miles door to door. After 16 years of doing the trip a number of times every year I can count on one hand when we did not stop for a coffee and pee mid trip (I’m in my 50’s). So, a 20 min stop at a Tesla Super Changer was never ever an issue, although I could always do it in one hop.

The driving experience was the most relaxing I have had, and I have had a lot of premium???? German cars. Performance, don’t even go there and running costs are peanuts.

Am I loving being back in a ICE car, NO, would I have another Tesla, yes, as soon as circumstances allow I will be driving another.

Don’t get sucked in the crazy press kids and maybe take the plunge, you may actually enjoy it

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    So funny reading all the EV Luddite’s comments on here who have not experienced life with an EV and being sucked in by the oil giant fuelled crazy press. Do I give a monkeys about -20 and EV’s……..erm, nope.

I have three years of Tesla Model 3 Performance and 45k miles under my belt so feel informed to comment. I currently due to circumstances drive wifey’s new PETROL powered BMW.

So, range. 350 days of the year my daily mileage was under a hundred miles. So range was never ever an issue. Our middle one settled after uni and lives in York, 220 miles door to door. After 16 years of doing the trip a number of times every year I can count on one hand when we did not stop for a coffee and pee mid trip (I’m in my 50’s). So, a 20 min stop at a Tesla Super Changer was never ever an issue, although I could always do it in one hop.

The driving experience was the most relaxing I have had, and I have had a lot of premium???? German cars. Performance, don’t even go there and running costs are peanuts.

Am I loving being back in a ICE car, NO, would I have another Tesla, yes, as soon as circumstances allow I will be driving another.

Don’t get sucked in the crazy press kids and maybe take the plunge, you may actually enjoy it

Pitch
    Thanks for this Pitch, decent perspective.

From my current position.....

1. I will never give a penny of my money to Elon or his products regardless of how good they are claimed to be. It will be another manufacturer when I make the change.

2. There is a big difference in risk between a company provided/financed car and one paid/financed by a private individual.

3. I am not anti EV, time was not right for us when we last changed vehicles - I will review again when that time comes around.

4. Toilet stops become more frequent.....
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Cheers Chris and likewise, respect ya thoughts.

My next EV will be a personally funded motor, I’m unemployed currently. But, I can remember a year into the Tesla which was 2021 I was still very much “ermmmm, if this was my money I don’t think I would be doing it.” The last two years saw me make a complete u-turn which is where I remain.

I think I can manage about 3 hours between bogs whilst driving. LOL

Pitch

I’ve just done a meter reading for my electric (Octopus economy seven so about 15p overnight).

I’ve used £220 in electricity to run the house, the tumble drier ( boy, does my wife like the tumble drier!) and the van whilst my wife has spent about the same on diesel.

Our middle one settled after uni and lives in York, 220 miles door to door. After 16 years of doing the trip a number of times every year I can count on one hand when we did not stop for a coffee and pee mid trip
    You are a good Dad.

Mine gets free train tickets between London and Sheffield, and a once per year move of their stuff

Blog Entries
    You are a good Dad.

Mine gets free train tickets between London and Sheffield, and a once per year move of their stuff
    Love that and deffo in your camp 13 years ago.

He is now married, three kids and his own business. We go up loads for the grandkids and mind games for the future when he tries to put us in a home when we are pissing ourselves. Back stop is the eldest and youngest if he doesn’t appreciate it.

Love getting old and playing with the kids.

Pitch

Master

It is the pride in not washing that amazes me here, why is that something to be so proud of?

Hoping your personal hygiene is better for the sake of your poor wife who have enough to put up with given dodgy pans, cold house, and a constant lecky midnight boner

You are a strange chap, D.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Are EV car seats made of better more comfy materials than ICE then, the plastics more luxe? Surely performance is limited by speed bumps, speed limits, volume of road users, omnipresent camera´s.., ev curious...?
    No, they’re not made of unicorn dust; they’re just cars at the end of the day. For me it’s the lack of vibration, the near-silence, the uncanny piling on of speed, the lack of gearchanging…….EVs certainly have drawbacks (range, charging access for many people, weight) but the driving experience is undoubtedly a huge step forwards.

I’ve just arrived back home after a long drive in our EV and have to say I found it very easy, quiet and relaxing to drive. Much less effort, all together smoother and rather limo like. But do I actually prefer the driving experience to my petrol car? Well, it’s different and is the car I’d choose for a long drive certainly. But as a driving experience I just find it a bit boring if I’m being brutally honest. I enjoy changing gear, matching the revs to drive smoothly, accelerating and braking through the gears, and a sense of the road surface through the steering wheel. The acceleration of an EV arrives in a very linear fashion and as a result is - like the whole driving experience - somewhat detached and unrewarding. In short my EV feels more like an appliance, if I want to enjoy my drive and put a smile on my face my manual petrol car is still much more engaging. I can’t imagine a keen petrolhead being blown away with the driving experience of an EV, but I can imagine those that feel driving is a boring chore (and I feel like this a lot of the time) being very impressed. And by keen driver I don’t mean a boy racer or a speeding idiot, it’s easy to enjoy any car sensibly and at legal speeds.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’ve just arrived back home after a long drive in our EV and have to say I found it very easy, quiet and relaxing to drive. Much less effort, all together smoother and rather limo like. But do I actually prefer the driving experience to my petrol car? Well, it’s different and is the car I’d choose for a long drive certainly. But as a driving experience I just find it a bit boring if I’m being brutally honest. I enjoy changing gear, matching the revs to drive smoothly, accelerating and braking through the gears, and a sense of the road surface through the steering wheel. The acceleration of an EV arrives in a very linear fashion and as a result is - like the whole driving experience - somewhat detached and unrewarding. In short my EV feels more like an appliance, if I want to enjoy my drive and put a smile on my face my manual petrol car is still much more engaging. I can’t imagine a keen petrolhead being blown away with the driving experience of an EV, but I can imagine those that feel driving is a boring chore (and I feel like this a lot of the time) being very impressed. And by keen driver I don’t mean a boy racer or a speeding idiot, it’s easy to enjoy any car sensibly and at legal speeds.
    It’s horses for courses really isn’t it, I enjoy ‘the thrill of driving’ in an EV as well, and I’ve had some pretty sporty ICE stuff over the years.

Like petrol cars, EVs differ in feel as well, you drive one EV and you’ve merely driven one EV.

The M3 LR my wife has feels way more ‘sporty’ even at road legal speeds than my ID.4, so not all EVs are the same. I’ve also driven a few other EVs, including the Audi e-tron GT (Taycan in an Audi dress) and that was amongst one of the best cars I’ve ever driven.

I do get what you’re saying though, and we all have different needs and wants from a car.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    It’s horses for courses really isn’t it, I enjoy ‘the thrill of driving’ in an EV as well, and I’ve had some pretty sporty ICE stuff over the years.

Like petrol cars, EVs differ in feel as well, you drive one EV and you’ve merely driven one EV.

The M3 LR my wife has feels way more ‘sporty’ even at road legal speeds than my ID.4, so not all EVs are the same. I’ve also driven a few other EVs, including the Audi e-tron GT (Taycan in an Audi dress) and that was amongst one of the best cars I’ve ever driven.

I do get what you’re saying though, and we all have different needs and wants from a car.
    Yep, couldn’t agree more, not all ICE cars are the same ditto with EV’s. My Model 3 Performance was one hell of a car and brutal. I never tired of the grin factor.

Pitch

Craftsman
    I luckily benefit from charging at 19/22 of our offices. Free in all cases but the convenience being the best thing. I have had an EQA for 9 months (11.5k miles in) and I’ve charged on the public network about 15 times tops.

Had a bad experience 2 weeks back, was doing home-Southampton-home in a day. 300 miles round trip and needed about 30kwh to get me back home (heating, lights, wipers etc.) with single digits left in the tank.

Pulled up at a shell recharge station near Winchester which online looked great, 10 chargers, under cover…150 kw/h.

Two were running…two. I luckily only needed 25 mins worth of charge (it was charging at less than half the advertised speed of course) so I could pass the baton to the next person. In the 25 mins we were sat there.. there must’ve been 10 cars who turned up and turned around.

Pretty shocking experience even if I had no hassle myself.

Just got back from a trip across the Netherlands. On the road we were on were fast chargers (4 stalls 150 kw) literally every 20km. Most weren't busy but if they were you just went on to the next one.

Don't know if this is everywhere but certainly makes long journeys along the route we did in an EV stress free.

Interestingly didn't see any Tesla chargers along the way so they must be tucked away elesewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Just got back from a trip across the Netherlands. On the road we were on were fast chargers (4 stalls 150 kw) literally every 20km. Most weren't busy but if they were you just went on to the next one.

Don't know if this is everywhere but certainly makes long journeys along the route we did in an EV stress free.

Interestingly didn't see any Tesla chargers along the way so they must be tucked away elesewhere.
    What we're the kw/h charges if you di t mind me asking?

What we're the kw/h charges if you di t mind me asking?
    They were 150s and 300s - mostly 150s 69c/KwH although there is a subscription model which brings the price down for regular users

Was called FastNed - he had a card but worked really well.

The winter range thing is a complete non-issue for all except a tiny number of drivers and conditions. I did my usual run to Scotland in December, it was a chilly trip, below zero at the top end. I stopped at the same two charge stations each way as I do in the summer, for the same amount of time. When I arrived back at home I had about 20% battery less in reserve than on a summer run, which costs less than a pound to replenish as part of on an overnight charge. I can live with that.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    The winter range thing is a complete non-issue for all except a tiny number of drivers and conditions. I did my usual run to Scotland in December, it was a chilly trip, below zero at the top end. I stopped at the same two charge stations each way as I do in the summer, for the same amount of time. When I arrived back at home I had about 20% battery less in reserve than on a summer run, which costs less than a pound to replenish as part of on an overnight charge. I can live with that.

I beg to differ, I wish I’d stayed with Diesel.

This is stupid.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post

This is stupid.
    Which BMW is that?

What the ‘guessometer’ says based on a current charge level means little as it’s based on how you’ve driven very recently.

It should adjust based on your actual driving next trip.

That didn't take long!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    That didn't take long!
    Ditto.

Trying to help a fellow member understand what might be going on here a problem?

Serves you right Joe for going with a bottom of the barrel low quality manufacturer for your new car.

If only you’d gone with an upscale company known for its impeccable quality control like Tesla this could have been avoided.

This is stupid.
    They don’t call it the guessometer for nothing, drive it for a while and you’ll get a much better feel for what range you really have at various battery percentages; I only ever look at the battery level to estimate my range, the stated range left means nothing, and mine always overestimates range left.

As an example, I can be on 66% battery after sixteen miles giving me a total apparent range of 48 miles. The guessometer will suggest that I’ve over 50 miles left whilst I know from experience that I’ve actually about 38 left which is higher than the percentage battery left would suggest. My van is nearly nine years old and the software pretty basic but I’ve been driving it for nearly nine years and have a pretty good feel for it’s foibles.

Master

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Serves you right Joe for going with a bottom of the barrel low quality manufacturer for your new car.

If only you’d gone with an upscale company known for its impeccable quality control like Tesla this could have been avoided.
    Tesla and quality control don’t belong in the same paragraph.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 22nd January 2024 at 19:25.

Blog Entries
    Tesla ans quality control dont belong in the same paragraph.
    I think he was jesting.

Tesla has many many pluses over the German adapted ICE cars but quality is not one of them, my California built one was shocking.

Pitch

Master
    I think he was jesting.

Tesla has many many pluses over the German adapted ICE cars but quality is not one of them, my California built one was shocking.

Pitch
    I’m certain he is.

My BMW has the range of an asthmatic ant carrying some heavy luggage. I’d rather have my iX than a Musk mobile.

SHBAT

(Should have bought a Tesla).

Coming from Audi and Range Rover to a China built model 3, sure the Tesla is a rung down in terms of interior fit but it's no worse than say a BMW 3 series inside. But the tried and tested drive train, battery life and charging infrastructure are massive plusses. Sometimes when I see someone driving a BMW I4 or a Polestar I do ask myself if the buyer had bothered to read any reviews before purchasing? The Germans simply don't yet have the expertise in EV manufacture to take on Tesla or the Koreans yet (Porsche excepted).

Anyway for any potential EV owners on the fence please follow the advice in the link.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...-electric-cars

Master
    SHBAT

Coming from Audi and Range Rover to a China built model 3, sure the Tesla is a rung down in terms of interior fit but it's no worse than say a BMW 3 series inside. But the tried and tested drive train, battery life and charging infrastructure are massive plusses. Sometimes when I see someone driving a BMW I4 or a Polestar I do ask myself if the buyer had bothered to read any reviews before purchasing? The Germans simply don't yet have the expertise in EV manufacture to take on Tesla or the Koreans yet (Porsche excepted).

Anyway for any potential EV owners on the fence please follow the advice in the link.

GIDBAT

WTATWAB

SHBAT

I wouldn't give a penny of my money to Elon Musk, however distant the transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    I wouldn't give a penny of my money to Elon Musk, however distant the transaction.
    Likewise.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Well to be fair that is totally understandable and I think the only main reason not to buy a Tesla vs the competition. It's akin to knowingly giving Donald Trump your cash

Well to be fair that is totally understandable and I think the only main reason not to buy a Tesla vs the competition. It's akin to knowingly giving Donald Trump your cash
    I'm obviously missing something, what's the issue with Elon Musk? Can't say that I'm a fan of him, Trump or many other wealthy individuals but given that the vast majority of what we use in the electronic world these days is made in China, where ethics aren't at the forefront, how choosy can we be?

Well, that and the fact that Tesla are still a bit pricey compared to many new EV’s?!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Well, that and the fact that Tesla are still a bit pricey compared to many new EV’s?!
    I think on an apples for apples basis, if you compare a base level Model 3 with the BMW/Merc/Korean equivalents, what you get as standard kit, performance, tech, charging infrastructure then I'd say they are comparatively much cheaper for what you get.

A base level Model 3 Highland will have autopilot, electric memory seats, heated seats and steering wheel, cooled seats, kick ass stereo, rear passenger entertainment screen, dashcam. And that's, what, £40k?

A BMW i4 starts at £50k, has nowhere near the level of equipment at that base spec, and won't be as good to drive either. And the Model 3 competes squarely against it, even at a brand level, unless you are of a 'certain age' a Tesla is arguably a more prestigious (AKA 'cool') brand than BMW, certainly amongst Millennials/Gen Z etc.

So yes they aren't cheap but in the segment they operate in the Model 3 is something of a bargain.

The Model S and X are of course far more expensive and compete in the luxury segment and at that price point they rely on the tech because the Germans do luxury much better.

A BMW i4 starts at £50k, has nowhere near the level of equipment at that base spec, and won't be as good to drive either. And the Model 3 competes squarely against it, even at a brand level, unless you are of a 'certain age' a Tesla is arguably a more prestigious (AKA 'cool') brand than BMW, certainly amongst Millennials/Gen Z etc. [/QUOTE]

I agree with most of your post but currently having both a Tesla (2nd Tesla) and an I4 sat on the drive the I4 is the better drivers car.

One thing I will say is that the Tesla is more comfortable, whilst the I4 is mine I frequently find myself going for SWMBO’s car when my backs hurting, the seats are more comfortable that’s for sure!

I spent £10k of the firms money improving the spec of the I4 so agree with the spec comments, although SWMBO also managed to spend £5k extra on the Tesla. The children all prefer the Tesla, mainly due to the Pan roof and whoopy cushion feature!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    A BMW i4 starts at £50k, has nowhere near the level of equipment at that base spec, and won't be as good to drive either. And the Model 3 competes squarely against it, even at a brand level, unless you are of a 'certain age' a Tesla is arguably a more prestigious (AKA 'cool') brand than BMW, certainly amongst Millennials/Gen Z etc.

I agree with most of your post but currently having both a Tesla (2nd Tesla) and an I4 sat on the drive the I4 is the better drivers car.

One thing I will say is that the Tesla is more comfortable, whilst the I4 is mine I frequently find myself going for SWMBO’s car when my backs hurting, the seats are more comfortable that’s for sure!

I spent £10k of the firms money improving the spec of the I4 so agree with the spec comments, although SWMBO also managed to spend £5k extra on the Tesla. The children all prefer the Tesla, mainly due to the Pan roof and whoopy cushion feature!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app[/QUOTE]Ah yes the whoopee cushion! Standard spec in a Tesla, not even an option in the BMW!

Apart from the usual the only thing I will say about the Model 3 and Model Y is the drivers seat is more of a comfortable chair vs the sofa/armchair we’ve had in BMW and Mercedes beforehand.

Also if it matters my Model 3 is noticeably faster than my Model Y.

There is an old Elon tweet where someone complained about the harsh ride and he recommended dropping the tyre pressure 10% for comfort at the detriment of range. Anyone else done that?

There is an old Elon tweet where someone complained about the harsh ride and he recommended dropping the tyre pressure 10% for comfort at the detriment of range. Anyone else done that?
    That would be madness in winter, you wouldn't get to the end of the driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    A BMW i4 starts at £50k, has nowhere near the level of equipment at that base spec,
    Wiper stalks? Parking sensors? Dashboard? Drive selector?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    That would be madness in winter, you wouldn't get to the end of the driveway.
    I thought dropping tyre pressure increases contact patch and therefore improves grip?

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Wiper stalks? Parking sensors? Dashboard? Drive selector?
    It has all of those! To get the BMW to Tesla spec you’ll need to add roof, tech pack for bigger screen, electric seats, privacy glass and then your still without heated rear seats or heated steering wheel. I added the M sport pro pack, upgraded paint and leather too.

The standard Tesla spec is good. We added the two pack red pearl paint and black 20” wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app