closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 36 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,800 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    If my maths is right it looks like yours car took 10 months to be delivered from order.

The only consolation is that rep advised the car is delayed I would likely get the MY24 car with improvement and a better battery range.
    About 9 months in the end, but as I said earlier, it was supposed to be here in August.

Master
    My E-tron lease expires in January, and am struggling to decide what to get next. I quite like the look of the Polestar 3 or the Mercedes EQE SUV, but neither is available to actually sit in yet and I need to order next month (though I will just keep the Audi until whatever I order finally arrives). I can’t stand the look of the BMW iX, the Jag iPace is getting a bit old tech now and I didn’t like the Tesla model Y at all.
    Any suggestions what I should shortlist? It needs to be quite big to carry all the stuff for weekends away, airport runs etc for a family of 4.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    My E-tron lease expires in January, and am struggling to decide what to get next. I quite like the look of the Polestar 3 or the Mercedes EQE SUV, but neither is available to actually sit in yet and I need to order next month (though I will just keep the Audi until whatever I order finally arrives). I can’t stand the look of the BMW iX, the Jag iPace is getting a bit old tech now and I didn’t like the Tesla model Y at all.
    Any suggestions what I should shortlist? It needs to be quite big to carry all the stuff for weekends away, airport runs etc for a family of 4.

the etron facelift (q8 etron ) is next year. Id probably try the merc, also have an etron and it’s difficult to replace with current options , what about the Volvo xc 90 replacement ?

agree with you on the ix it’s a pig .

Master

The Skoda Enyaq has a 585 litre boot. I believe it the biggest in its class, and 4 people will fit in it in comfort.

Master
    That's a big boot alright. I can only get three medium-sized children in mine.
    Last edited by Bondurant; 30th November 2022 at 23:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    That's a big boot alright. I can only get three medium-sized children in mine.
    Bent inside suitcase ??

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    the etron facelift (q8 etron ) is next year. Id probably try the merc, also have an etron and it’s difficult to replace with current options , what about the Volvo xc 90 replacement ?

agree with you on the ix it’s a pig .
    EX90 not out until 2024.
    Last edited by gunner; 1st December 2022 at 10:05.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    The Skoda Enyaq has a 585 litre boot. I believe it the biggest in its class, and 4 people will fit in it in comfort.
    I doubt he wants to go from an etron to an enyaq to be fair. And that’s no slight on the enyaq it’s a fine car.

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

People actually sit in cars before ordering them? As it is a lease and I chuck the keys back, I just looked at the pretty pictures online and pressed the order button.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Question for the EV owners.

What is the protocol when some selfish twat leaves their fully charged car plugged into the only compatible charger?

I tied to unplug it and it was locked- bloody annoying. Yes, I know I should not touch it but the display shows it finished charging 2 hrs earlier.

Bloody annoying.
    We ought to ask why it is possible to for the user to lock upa public charger. The charger should control the locking.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If there is a quicker way to get there I'm all for it. Not keen on boring motorway drives.

If you use the M3 the new 350 kW super chargers at Winnall are really good although no coffee facilities unless go into Tesla SC.

People actually sit in cars before ordering them? As it is a lease and I chuck the keys back, I just looked at the pretty pictures online and pressed the order button.
    Same here. Already have an XC90, so just assumed the C40 would be similar.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Same here. Already have an XC90, so just assumed the C40 would be similar.
    Agreed if it’s a familiar brand, but I have never even sat in a Polestar car let alone driven one!

When you email confirm if a 2m cable is 2m inc plugs or if it's a 2m wire plus plugs and they tell you it's a 2m wire plus plugs and about 2.1m total so you order it.

Then you find out it's 1.8m total after it arrives having paid import duty. Balls

When you email confirm if a 2m cable is 2m inc plugs or if it's a 2m wire plus plugs and they tell you it's a 2m wire plus plugs and about 2.1m total so you order it.

Then you find out it's 1.8m total after it arrives having paid import duty. Balls

Oh FFS that is stupid. I am sure he will sort you out although it shouldn't have been needed in the first place if they had told you correctly - surely 2m would be the cable length anyway?

If you get stuck returning it let me know as I have a friend in NL should be seeing soon.

2m incl. or excl. plugs is understandable, 1.8m is a c0ck up whichever way you look at it!

(BTW how much was it? I might invest in a shorter cable for home use)

Can’t you just park the car closer?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Like......er..... this close ?

Yellow car
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Thanks MB2, very kind offer.

I didn't take the pic, my wife did, so I'll check it out tomorrow in the daytime and measure it properly.

Charger is from https://www.evchargeking.com/en/ and their service was great aside from cable length. Cable was £193+£44 import. Paid on a decent currency card to avoid feeson the cable and amex via PayPal for the import to max out the pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I was wondering that myself?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I was wondering that myself?
    London driveway so about the same size as a 36mm DateJust and have to get on at an angle. Sadly not that simple, you'd probably hit the house trying to get it closer, or the porch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I would have said that MG have already done this with the MG5
    Admittedly it’s not as cheap as the car in the link, but for a medium sized electric car, I think it’s good value.

I've had an MG5LR since September 2021. I think it's brilliant. It's got all the toys you actually need but not the ones that are in real terms frivolous. I am getting 200 or slightly more miles in the winter and 250 to 260 during summer, and that's regularly using aircon, heating, and Boom radio. For my purposes it's the perfect car.

Master
    Switzerland recently published draft legislation which, among other things is “limiting the use of electric cars, which should be driven only when absolutely necessary”. This due to lack of electricity through winter..

The legislation - when required by government - also restricts temperatures of washing machines and dishwashers, requires heating be low or off in clubs and disco’s, bans the use of Blu-ray Discs and gaming computers, etc etc

https://www.golem.de/news/strommange...11-170022.html

London driveway so about the same size as a 36mm DateJust and have to get on at an angle. Sadly not that simple, you'd probably hit the house trying to get it closer, or the porch.
    With it being that tight I would have gone 2.3 - 2.5m just to give a little wiggle room.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    2m incl. or excl. plugs is understandable, 1.8m is a c0ck up whichever way you look at it!

(BTW how much was it? I might invest in a shorter cable for home use)
    Do you want this one? I'm going to guess a return will be a nightmare and it'll be easier to sell this for a loss and just buy another.

Visible wire is 178.5cm (plus 2.5cm each end within shielding before it goes into the plug).
    True and to end is 225.5cm

Do you want this one? I'm going to guess a return will be a nightmare and it'll be easier to sell this for a loss and just buy another.

Visible wire is 178.5cm (plus 2.5cm each end within shielding before it goes into the plug).
    Just a thought maybe they send you a new 2m cable with the ends crimped on and you assemble onto your plugs assuming the glands all fit over the crimps?

I took mine apart to replace the button as they had a bad batch of buttons and it was easy enough to disassemble that far at least.

Otherwise I will definitely be able to get it into Europe for you as my account manager is in NL and a really helpful guy.

Have sent you a PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Switzerland recently published draft legislation which, among other things is “limiting the use of electric cars, which should be driven only when absolutely necessary”. This due to lack of electricity through winter..

The legislation - when required by government - also restricts temperatures of washing machines and dishwashers, requires heating be low or off in clubs and disco’s, bans the use of Blu-ray Discs and gaming computers, etc etc

https://www.golem.de/news/strommange...11-170022.html
    That’s the Swiss for you, they love ‘rules’.

My sister lived and worked there for a few years, she couldn’t flush her toilet after 10pm in her apartment. That was just the start of it…

I suppose the Ukraine/Russia situation probably means they feel the need to introduce such measures this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    she couldn’t flush her toilet after 10pm in her apartment.
    If it is yellow let it mellow, but if it is brown you must flush it down.

If it is yellow let it mellow, but if it is brown you must flush it down.
    After ten, think again

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    After ten, think again
    Who has a poo in the evening?

Master
    Who has a poo in the evening?
    I see sir has never imbibed several pints of Guinness followed up by a cheeky vindaloo.

Well, I’ve just ordered what will probably be my final ICE car over the weekend. I came to the conclusion that - at the price level I’m considering - the awful supply issues and the build quality/battery size at the less expensive end isn’t quite there yet for EV’s. It doesn’t help that I’m tall and heavy which has never been a problem in European cars whereas the Chinese and Japanese alternatives are just too uncomfortable. I’m certain the technology currently reserved for the higher end will have begun to trickle down by then - and the price differential between ice and ev will have narrowed. I spoke to VW who said I’m looking at 76 weeks for and ID3 at the moment which is frankly ludicrous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having read through the whole thread, I think the answer to the OP's original question is, well, not quite yet unless you have a particular set of circumstances.
    I for one can't have an EV yet because the number of motorway miles I do, lack of charging at my client's sites, and lack of affordable vehicles with decent range.
    I last purchased a car for £15k, it was 3 years old and I get 6-700 miles from a full tank (XC60). Give me an EV with similar spec and I'll be all over it in a heatbeat but that doesn't exist yet.

Doubt you can find a three year old XC60 for £15k today. That seems like it was a seriously good deal or luck for the time? Unless it's CAT C and done a million miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Having read through the whole thread, I think the answer to the OP's original question is, well, not quite yet unless you have a particular set of circumstances.
    I for one can't have an EV yet because the number of motorway miles I do, lack of charging at my client's sites, and lack of affordable vehicles with decent range.
    I last purchased a car for £15k, it was 3 years old and I get 6-700 miles from a full tank (XC60). Give me an EV with similar spec and I'll be all over it in a heatbeat but that doesn't exist yet.
    Maybe stating the obvious but we're mid transition from a situation where they don't work for anyone, to a situation where they work for everyone.

Currently they're great as a second car and you can decide when and how to use.

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

I wouldn’t dream of changing to an EV without salary sacrifice (at full marginal tax rate and NI saving) and accompanying 2% BIK.

EVs with private lease prices of £600-700pcm being flogged to employee salary sacrifice schemes at net cost to the employee £350-400pcm.

This is why they are so popular. Makes little sense for the private buyer at the moment.

Doubt you can find a three year old XC60 for £15k today. That seems like it was a seriously good deal or luck for the time? Unless it's CAT C and done a million miles.
    Yes, it was a good deal. It only had 20k on the clock also. It was in top condition. Still drive it now; there's no point getting rid of it. I service it meticulously and drive it gently however I put a lot of miles on it. Its a 15 plate, and the only thing that's gone on it was 1 headlight bulb.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Yes, it was a good deal. It only had 20k on the clock also. It was in top condition. Still drive it now; there's no point getting rid of it. I service it meticulously and drive it gently however I put a lot of miles on it. Its a 15 plate, and the only thing that's gone on it was 1 headlight bulb.
    You did well ive got a 1.5 year old xc60 and main dealers are still selling them for what I payed then 1.5 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    You did well ive got a 1.5 year old xc60 and main dealers are still selling them for what I payed then 1.5 years ago
    2018 was an age ago in terms of used car prices. Or car prices in general come to that.

Just looked at the receipts and list price was actually just over £11.7k, plus VAT. I got £450 part ex on a Mondeo, but couldn't really complain about that as it was a bit of a shed.
    This was July 2019. The good old days.

They were; it all started kicking off early in 2021. My daughter’s 18 plate Aygo nearly doubled in value between March and September.

Remote climate control via the app to warm up the cabin and clear the ice from the windows a few minutes before heading out is really coming into its own in this weather. I appreciate that it's not unique to EVs but it's a novelty for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Remote climate control via the app to warm up the cabin and clear the ice from the windows a few minutes before heading out is really coming into its own in this weather. I appreciate that it's not unique to EVs but it's a novelty for me
    Yes i am looking forward to that but by the time i get mine i expect ill be having the timed climate on to cool it down.

Master

Update: Polestar 3 ordered this week, though it will likely be at least a year before it’s delivered. I’m in the 60% marginal rate band so works out a net £400 a month which I think is great value for an £80k car. Looking forward to the extra range (380 miles WLTP, versus the 230 miles of my E-tron) which will likely mean I very rarely or never need to use a public charger. 480bhp and 0-60 in 5 secs should be quite entertaining too for a big SUV.
    EVs aren’t right for everyone yet, but they are getting better all the time. This next generation of vehicles with ranges approaching 400 miles really should be sufficient for many drivers.

Craftsman
    Update: Polestar 3 ordered this week, though it will likely be at least a year before it’s delivered. I’m in the 60% marginal rate band so works out a net £400 a month which I think is great value for an £80k car. Looking forward to the extra range (380 miles WLTP, versus the 230 miles of my E-tron) which will likely mean I very rarely or never need to use a public charger. 480bhp and 0-60 in 5 secs should be quite entertaining too for a big SUV.
    EVs aren’t right for everyone yet, but they are getting better all the time. This next generation of vehicles with ranges approaching 400 miles really should be sufficient for many drivers.

Who is your car salary sacrifice provider? I’m in the same tax bracket and via ours (Tusker) a Taycan was still £8-900pm (£1,500 gross). Silly rates quoted.

I’m in the 60% marginal rate band so works out a net £400 a month which I think is great value for an £80k carTZ-UK mobile app
    62% when you take into account the NI. A no brainer and a nice car.

A tax band that everyone paying it should max out everything salary sacrifice related; pension, car, cyclescheme, nursery vouchers, charity etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    Who is your car salary sacrifice provider? I’m in the same tax bracket and via ours (Tusker) a Taycan was still £8-900pm (£1,500 gross). Silly rates quoted.

Ours is done via Zenith. The base spec Taycan can be had from £1,023 per month gross on our scheme but that’s over 4 years and 5k miles PA. 3 years and 10k miles is £1,175.
    I found you sometimes have to play around with the options a bit to get the best price. Bizarrely, when I added the matrix led headlights for my Polestar (a £1600 option), the monthly gross cost went down by £50/month!

Comparing to the numbers above, our work provider (SG Fleet) is quoting £1.7k gross for Polestar 3 and £1.6k gross for the Taycan saloon (3 yrs, 10k pa). And we’re a global leading firm. I assume they didn’t put as much into it as the other employers here.