closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 34 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,700 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    One thing I've never thought of before in 11 months of EV ownership is being a woman and needing public chargers.

I'm in a lone charging bay in a leisure centre, off an industrial estate, in the middle of the nowhere right now and at almost 11.30pm it isn't ideal.

Worst 'I met a trucker in a rest stop' post ever mate! :D

Seriously though, I had never thought of that but you raise a really valid point; quite scary and would not want my wife there.

If you ever need a coffee break near J10 on the M4 then give me a shout. No charger for the car though I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

Seriously though, I had never thought of that but you raise a really valid point; quite scary and would not want my wife there.

If you ever need a coffee break near J10 on the M4 then give me a shout. No charger for the car though I'm afraid.
    Good idea that….once mines switched on which will be hopefully this week, ill stick up the info for my 22kw charger at work. Not far from J17 M4.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

Constant thoughts of a specific old Hollyoaks episode throughout. That was in Taunton, no doubt safer than London.

Likewise for you re a tea/coffee. We're on the border of TOWIE land though, M25 J26. Maybe if you get fake tan curious you'd be local!

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I used a fast charger in Lewes this weekend. You have to buy a parking ticket and are not allowed to use a bay for more than one hour AND whilst charging only.

Thank fully my watch told me the car was charged to 85% and stopped after 20min but then had to run back to avoid a ticket. The business model needs work on this.
    Harvey’s Brewery car park?

I never use chargers in Lewes any more as the charger at the school in Ringmer suits my needs better and, being in the school car park, there are no parking charges.

What the real world cost to charge an EV if you are not at home?

I am reading that given much higher leccy costs it can be now more expensive to charge away from home when compared to petrol or diesel costs for an ICE engine.

If so, it seems to be a significant drawback for running an EV.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Harvey’s Brewery car park?

I never use chargers in Lewes any more as the charger at the school in Ringmer suits my needs better and, being in the school car park, there are no parking charges.
    Precisely. Fast, but what a faff.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

I am reading that given much higher leccy costs it can be now more expensive to charge away from home when compared to petrol or diesel costs for an ICE engine.

I do not have home charging and rely on public charging. I don’t do many miles though and annoyingly the range isn’t great.

Cost varies but locally it can be around 35p a kwh on a fast charge which is approx 3 miles. 11.5p a mile. Some chargers cost a lot more, but checking on the various apps means you can usually avoid them.

Master

Rapid chargers (ie units capable of delivering at least 50kW) vary in price between 25p and 85p per kWh after the recent rises.

At the lower end of that spectrum you’ll likely be using a membership to something like the Ionity network, and at the upper it’s Shell Recharge on a turn up and pay basis.

65p to 79p per kWh seems to be the typical price for the larger more popular networks like Instavolt (66p), Gridserve (59p), MFG (79p), Geniepoint (57p), Osprey (79p) and Ionity without a membership (69p).

Tesla operate different pricing depending on if it’s a non Tesla charging (at the allowed sites) and also what time of day you’re doing it.

Reference the more expensive than ICE comment, it depends on the EV and the ICE, but a ballpark figure for EV pence per mile based on 3.5 miles per kWh and 65p per kWh is 18.6p.

That’s equivalent, at todays fuel price, to a petrol car doing 40mpg or a diesel doing 46mpg, just to give you an idea.

So I’d say it’s ‘comparable’ rather than more expensive, but home charging is required for a cheaper pence per mile ‘fuel’ cost, mine charging at home is 4p per mile, but my longest journeys are a mix of both home and public charging as I set off with a full battery.

Charged at the Portsmouth Supercharger around midnight last night, took 45 mins as I needed 100% for today.

Really should have called ahead as I got to the hotel and the charging was free. £28 down the drain. Facepalm!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Rapid chargers (ie units capable of delivering at least 50kW) vary in price between 25p and 85p per kWh after the recent rises.

At the lower end of that spectrum you’ll likely be using a membership to something like the Ionity network, and at the upper it’s Shell Recharge on a turn up and pay basis.

65p to 79p per kWh seems to be the typical price for the larger more popular networks like Instavolt (66p), Gridserve (59p), MFG (79p), Geniepoint (57p), Osprey (79p) and Ionity without a membership (69p).

Tesla operate different pricing depending on if it’s a non Tesla charging (at the allowed sites) and also what time of day you’re doing it.

Reference the more expensive than ICE comment, it depends on the EV and the ICE, but a ballpark figure for EV pence per mile based on 3.5 miles per kWh and 65p per kWh is 18.6p.

That’s equivalent, at todays fuel price, to a petrol car doing 40mpg or a diesel doing 46mpg, just to give you an idea.

So I’d say it’s ‘comparable’ rather than more expensive, but home charging is required for a cheaper pence per mile ‘fuel’ cost, mine charging at home is 4p per mile, but my longest journeys are a mix of both home and public charging as I set off with a full battery.
    Much better answer than mine !

Wonder what profit those companies are making at such prices. Once the facilities are built, overheads must be a lot lower than traditional filling stations who usually claim their margins are small.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Wonder what profit those companies are making at such prices. Once the facilities are built, overheads must be a lot lower than traditional filling stations who usually claim their margins are small.
    Yep, I’d love to know that as well!

I think wholesale price is around 22p a kWh isn’t it?

But then there’s transmission fees, wholesale supplier profit and all sorts of other costs on top I’m guessing, but I don’t know.

I think the rapid charge units themselves are pretty expensive, ie 6 figures each, then there’s the install/hardscaping costs, power supply cabinets and leasing/rent of land they sit on.

Some sort of backend payment system, customer support, and crucially a maintenance and breakdown structure. They also collect the 20% VAT on the price as well.

The maintenance is something that BP Pulse seems to have forgotten about, so many of their chargers are broken/inoperative.

Osprey EV charging go into it a bit here, from there perspective. They were up at £1 a kWh at one point.

https://www.ospreycharging.co.uk/pos...rice-reduction

Simpson charger being installed right now. What a relief. No more 2kW!

But then there’s transmission fees, wholesale supplier profit and all sorts of other costs on top I’m guessing, but I don’t know.

I think the rapid charge units themselves are pretty expensive, ie 6 figures each, then there’s the install/hardscaping costs, power supply cabinets and leasing/rent of land they sit on.

Some sort of backend payment system, customer support, and crucially a maintenance and breakdown structure. They also collect the 20% VAT on the price as well.

The maintenance is something that BP Pulse seems to have forgotten about, so many of their chargers are broken/inoperative.

Osprey EV charging go into it a bit here, from there perspective. They were up at £1 a kWh at one point.

At these prices not much incentive for those w/o home-charging to go electric.

Any idea what price lamp-post, and similar, charging costs? Councils and the Government should really get involved rather than leaving commercial interests to profit here.

i remember the relief when I got mine on-line - seeing 23 mph charge rate makes such a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Simpson charger being installed right now. What a relief. No more 2kW!
    I guess it'll save you skulking round car parks at midnight eh ?
    What a faff that is !! 😳

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I guess it'll save you skulking round car parks at midnight eh ?
    What a faff that is !! 😳
    Oh man, couldn't be happier right now. All done, app is stupid simple and the charge rate is 8.2kW.

Electric suddenly isn't so bad. I might even chill out on railing Tesla every chance I get.

[QUOTE=wileeeeeey;6108850]Oh man, couldn't be happier right now. All done, app is stupid simple and the charge rate is 8.2kW.

Electric suddenly isn't so bad. I might even chill out on railing Tesla every chance I get.
    /QUOTE]

Change the car dash display to miles and be even happier with the charge rate.

Agreed it transforms the EV experience which at 10 A does suck a bit/lot...

Craftsman
    Everybody talking about cost - for somebody that rarely does long journeys, I can’t tell you how nice it is to wake up to a fully charged car and not have to visit a petrol garage. Even if it cost me the same as a ICE, i still wouldn’t go back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    Everybody talking about cost - for somebody that rarely does long journeys, I can’t tell you how nice it is to wake up to a fully charged car and not have to visit a petrol garage. Even if it cost me the same as a ICE, i still wouldn’t go back

I think this is where we are.

It still costs less in any case. Diesel is touching £2 litre I noticed today. Nuts!

Also rarely do long journeys but never found trip to a petrol garage once a month a big deal.

Also rarely do long journeys but never found trip to a petrol garage once a month a big deal.
    I wish I could say the same for diesel. The local garages regularly seem to run out en-masse, and I twice made it home on fumes prior to the EV purchase.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Genuinely - is it really more convenient plugging your car in every other day or so, as opposed to visiting a garage for 10 minutes or so every couple of weeks? I was totally unmoved by my EV driving experience, preferring a car with a gearbox tbh - I didn’t find the experience all that different or exciting and nor did my wife. I’ve n fact we both felt car sick for the first time in years. Think I’ll wait another few years tbh - still feels like an option for early adopters who love a gadget. Probably marks me out as a total luddite but I’m happy with that. In 10 years I won’t have an option!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Genuinely - is it really more convenient plugging your car in every other day or so, as opposed to visiting a garage for 10 minutes or so every couple of weeks? I was totally unmoved by my EV driving experience, preferring a car with a gearbox tbh - I didn’t find the experience all that different or exciting and nor did my wife. I’ve n fact we both felt car sick for the first time in years. Think I’ll wait another few years tbh - still feels like an option for early adopters who love a gadget. Probably marks me out as a total luddite but I’m happy with that. In 10 years I won’t have an option!

Every other day? I charge mine maybe once a week. I can only talk about my personal experience (and I appreciate everybody will have their own) but then the iPace is a great car.

Genuinely - is it really more convenient plugging your car in every other day or so, as opposed to visiting a garage for 10 minutes or so every couple of weeks?
    It is so convenient! Not having to leave the driveway, less than 30 seconds to plug in or disconnect and no queuing, fumes or handling a grubby pump. I charge the EV about three times as often as I had to fill up the fairly economical diesel Octavia with the same commute. Obviously this all depends on the range of the EV.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master

yes it is, most people will charge once a week to be fair.

when you say you prefer a gear box, you mean a manual? or just the sensation of gears in an automatic?

Most of the service stations here have attendants to pump your gas for you, usually you just pay them cash or card, you don't even have to get out your car, which is nice...don't think I've ever had to queue either, now that I think about it. Rather civilised I think.

It’s not a big deal but it’s nice when you don’t have to go to or even think about going to a garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It’s not a big deal but it’s nice when you don’t have to go to or even think about going to a garage.
    Yes, will look forward to that freedom.

Though, on the other hand, never have to ‘grab a coffee’ while I’m refuelling as many here seem to.

Master

Though, on the other hand, never have to ‘grab a coffee’ while I’m refuelling as many here seem to.
    With charge speeds of EVs increasing, and the proliferation of faster chargers, even that luxury that I used to enjoy whenever I stopped on a long journey is becoming a rush.

Our ID.4 charges at 2.25kWh a minute, and our Tesla even faster, and a max 10 minute stop is becoming the norm even on a 300 mile journey. On such a run I’d be stopping anyway, even if I was in my old diesel that could do 5-600 on a tank.

There are pros and cons, as ever, it’s just different to what most people are used to.

Master

again when people refer to grabbing a coffee its normally because they have stopped to charge on a long 4-5 hour drive (most normal use case for a fast charger). The sensible thing to do is grab a coffee or some other caffeinated beverage.

Plus doesn’t the Highway Code recommend at least a 15 minute break for every 2 hours driven.

In my ICE days I would even stop to grab a coffee and not fill up the car. Now that I have the Tesla I can’t say my long drive habits have changed much apart from ensuring there is a charger available if required at my chosen stop

Just joined the EV club and today ordered a Volvo C40 for expected delivery around May 2023. It is through the salary sacrifice scheme.

I don’t have a driveway, but will use the cheap chargers provided in the work car park.

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    yes it is, most people will charge once a week to be fair.

when you say you prefer a gear box, you mean a manual? or just the sensation of gears in an automatic?
    Yes, a manual gear shift - not the sensation, more the involvement. Maybe I’m weird but my wife’s the same. I should add we live in a rural location with country lanes so traffic jams or heavy traffic aren’t really a factor. I don’t even think about changing gear most of the time. I was surprised I didn’t really enjoy my EV experience, re-reading my post I sound like a grumpy git which really isn’t the case I promise!! - our local petrol station is also the local Waitrose so I don’t mind a visit there tbh. It’s also rural with rarely any queue.

Master
    Yes, a manual gear shift - not the sensation, more the involvement. Maybe I’m weird but my wife’s the same. I should add we live in a rural location with country lanes so traffic jams or heavy traffic aren’t really a factor. I don’t even think about changing gear most of the time. I was surprised I didn’t really enjoy my EV experience, re-reading my post I sound like a grumpy git which really isn’t the case I promise!! - our local petrol station is also the local Waitrose so I don’t mind a visit there tbh. It’s also rural with rarely any queue.

I live in a rural location too and find my Cupra Born masses of fun on the twisty stuff, it really is satisfying setting it up for a bend using the B mode, then enjoying the instant thrust out of the bend. I think you've only driven the MG, I suspect that something like the Born is somewhat more fun in the bends than that but obviously I haven't driven the MG.

I have an MX-5 and old Fireblade of course so can also have old school fun as well.

TBH I think both are fun, and involving, just different.

I am looking at the cheaper end of the EV market (I have spoken to VW about the ID3 and 4 - looking at 18 months plus at present) - I’ve always had European cars and might be a bit biased against the styling and trim of Korean and Chinese cars. Had a few Japanese bikes though!
    I think I’ll wait a bit longer until the tech at the cheaper end catches up a bit, and hopefully if I decide to spend a bit more I’m not faced with a wait measured in years!!

Master
    I am looking at the cheaper end of the EV market (I have spoken to VW about the ID3 and 4 - looking at 18 months plus at present) - I’ve always had European cars and might be a bit biased against the styling and trim of Korean and Chinese cars. Had a few Japanese bikes though!
    I think I’ll wait a bit longer until the tech at the cheaper end catches up a bit, and hopefully if I decide to spend a bit more I’m not faced with a wait measured in years!!

The way it seems to work is that if you order off the order book it will take ages but if you look on Autotrader/Ebay or ask your dealer for a "cancelled order" you'll get one, as long as you are ok with the spec. I got my Born that way (Born is an ID3 in a party frock and sportier handling). Spec was pretty much what I wanted so all good. Aside from the fact that the software is bit iffy I'm very happy with it.

C40 just arrived (that's the delivery driver)...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post

Looking at ordering one of these through salary sacrifice. Alot of car with the money!!!

It looks sharp.

I just ordered one of those yesterday in the same colour. That looks like the top of the range model with 20 inch alloys. I ordered the poverty spec Core model, with a not so poverty spec, and then added the climate pack.

How long did it take from order? The estimate I have is 28 weeks, but who knows if that is realistic. Time will tell. I’m not in a major rush as I will run my ICE car until it arrives.

It will be interesting to update the thread with real world range and how you find the car, if you don’t mind.

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    Looking at ordering one of these through salary sacrifice. Alot of car with the money!!!
    Mine is costing me £350 pcm net using salary sacrifice including BIK and a couple of options. That 36 months 8k miles per annum. That is for £48k P11D.

An absolute bargain. The leasing company said Volvo have some big short term discounts at the moment which will finish very soon.

This is on a company car scheme so tax savings paying for most of it. Ordered in Feb I think, with initial delivery date of August.

Will update on mileage once it's been driven for a while. Might depend on how the 400 horses are deployed...

Master
    This is on a company car scheme so tax savings paying for most of it. Ordered in Feb I think, with initial delivery date of August.

Will update on mileage once it's been driven for a while. Might depend on how the 400 horses are deployed...

Well, since my musings, earlier in this thread, the temps have dropped quite a bit and now I’m struggling to get 2.5 miles per kWh. You might not be far off either as the grim-inducing acceleration is hard to resist

Master
    Mine is costing me £350 pcm net using salary sacrifice including BIK and a couple of options. That 36 months 8k miles per annum. That is for £48k P11D.

An absolute bargain. The leasing company said Volvo have some big short term discounts at the moment which will finish very soon.

Incredible isnt it! almost has you asking "whats the catch". Close enough price to what I have been quoted but I have been setting the miles at 10k so just a few quid more.

Good luck with it! I will be looking to place an order in the coming days :)

The answer is very little profit at 79p, just look at the company accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Well, since my musings, earlier in this thread, the temps have dropped quite a bit and now I’m struggling to get 2.5 miles per kWh. You might not be far off either as the grim-inducing acceleration is hard to resist
    Wife nearly threw up when I floored it and asked, in no uncertain terms, that I avoid doing that again...

I do not have home charging and rely on public charging. I don’t do many miles though and annoyingly the range isn’t great.

Cost varies but locally it can be around 35p a kwh on a fast charge which is approx 3 miles. 11.5p a mile. Some chargers cost a lot more, but checking on the various apps means you can usually avoid them.
    Luckily my work has around 70 7kW chargers installed and the cost is 2p/kWh, so £1.38 for a fill up.

This was the main reason I ordered a leccy car as I also don’t have a driveway at home, so plan to charge at work.

Even when not in the office, I live only 6 miles away, so plan somehow to shuttle if I need a top up.

Master
    Question for the EV owners.

What is the protocol when some selfish twat leaves their fully charged car plugged into the only compatible charger?

I tied to unplug it and it was locked- bloody annoying. Yes, I know I should not touch it but the display shows it finished charging 2 hrs earlier.

Bloody annoying.

Grand Master
    I wouldn’t entertain an electric vehicle without a home off-street parking/charging facility, but it seems like the lure of cheap running costs and BIK is too tempting for some.

I don’t plan to get an EV anytime soon, but lack of driveway space won’t be a problem, I’ve now got room to park 6 cars plus one in the garage. After 3 weeks of inconvenience plus an eye- watering bill the whole lot has now been resurfaced, it should out-last me!

If everyone changed to EVs and charged at home, where would all the extra leccy come from and how would the distribution network cope with the additional load? Have the laws of physics changed recently?

Question for the EV owners.

What is the protocol when some selfish twat leaves their fully charged car plugged into the only compatible charger?

I tied to unplug it and it was locked- bloody annoying. Yes, I know I should not touch it but the display shows it finished charging 2 hrs earlier.

Bloody annoying.
    There is none, they're just selfish twats !!