closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 99 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yep, positive for everyone else but a negative for any Tesla owner. The superchargers are going to be clogged.
    Depends how they price it for non Tesla cars I’d have thought.

I’m sitting here at the moment on a 6 bay Ionity charge bank and I’m the only car here. 0p per kWh for me, 69p per kWh for non Ionity group vehicles or those without a charging plan.

I’ve had notification that Geniepoint are putting up there rapid chargers electricity cost to 42p per kWh due to the high cost of wholesale electricity at the moment, I’m sure others will follow suit. Means the Ionity price doesn’t seem quite so ridiculous now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    May be changing my EQA order to a Tesla Model 3 due to a cheap lease offer. That being said the insurance on the Tesla is much higher than the EQA even though the Merc is £10k more expensive. Surely it can-t be the Tesla 0 to 60 speed having that much impact? We are talking £130 per month insurance for the Tesla vs £43 per month for the Merc! Although Tesla is much cheaper to lease vs the PCP on the Merc
    If it’s the Performance the insurance is a bit steep but they are dyno’ing at 522ps and an instant 650nm.

0-60 makes ya guts turn but the sheer turn of pace from 30/50/70mph is bonkers, it’s mad. They really are something else and one of the quickest in real world uk speed limit driving.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    If it’s the Performance the insurance is a bit steep but they are dyno’ing at 522ps and an instant 650nm.

0-60 makes ya guts turn but the sheer turn of pace from 30/50/70mph is bonkers, it’s mad. They really are something else and one of the quickest in real world uk speed limit driving.

Pitch
    Not performance it is the AWD Long Range.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I ordered a Tesla Model 3 at the weekend. Got the Long Range in blue.

It'll replace our Yaris which was our second car, but I anticipate it'll probably do most of the miles for our house. It's only really the long range holiday work that it's impractical for.

I was really impressed on the test drive, and enjoyed the slime free sale experience.
    You will love it and you are so right about sale experience, there is no shiny bollocks, here’s your car, enjoy.

The LR is the pick of the range as an all rounder and having picked up a MIC last week for one of my chaps I can tell you first hand it is streets ahead in quality compared to my Fremont built M3P.

13 months in and I still look for excuses to drive mine.

Pitch

- - - Updated - - -

As above buddy it’s the pick of the range, great car.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Yep, positive for everyone else but a negative for any Tesla owner. The superchargers are going to be clogged.
    Not necessarily. The one thing Tesla does which others don’t is charge you a quid for every minute for clogging the chargers when you reach you limit. That keeps folk moving and then factor in the V3 chargers up to 900 mph.

Pitch

May be changing my EQA order to a Tesla Model 3 due to a cheap lease offer. That being said the insurance on the Tesla is much higher than the EQA even though the Merc is £10k more expensive. Surely it can-t be the Tesla 0 to 60 speed having that much impact? We are talking £130 per month insurance for the Tesla vs £43 per month for the Merc! Although Tesla is much cheaper to lease vs the PCP on the Merc
    Hi Ryan,

It’s the cost of parts / repair with Tesla. The average repair cost is typically double the price of other manufacturers. They will only approve / warranty approve repairs done at Tesla owned / approved body shops

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    Hi Ryan,

It’s the cost of parts / repair with Tesla. The average repair cost is typically double the price of other manufacturers. They will only approve / warranty approve repairs done at Tesla owned / approved body shops
    Thanks for this and also Meesterbond who said similar earlier. Makes sense. Still cheaper to insure than the current Velar though and also I won't be paying the £425 a year road tax either

Master
    We have a M3 LR, it’s plenty quick enough as is, but you can pay to unlock a bit more performance after you take delivery if the fancy takes you.

Was it Jaytip who bought the Enyaq, how are you getting on with it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Was it Jaytip who bought the Enyaq, how are you getting on with it?
    Absolutely loving it. Did a long run in it today. Bridgend M4 to meet the M5, then north to Gloucester before going across country to Berkhamsted. Dropped customer off, stopped in Aylesbury to charge up and then back home along the same route.

How many charges was that? Did you start off with a full charge and then fully recharge again or was it just a quick zap to finish the journey. How long did the top up take and how many miles you get?
    You may have said before but have you got the 60kw or the 80kww?
    Sorry for all the questions.

Master
    How many charges was that? Did you start off with a full charge and then fully recharge again or was it just a quick zap to finish the journey. How long did the top up take and how many miles you get?
    You may have said before but have you got the 60kw or the 80kww?
    Sorry for all the questions.
    I have the 60 so a WLTP range of 256 miles. I had 100% battery at the start of the journey and I an indicated 70 miles left when I recharged after dropping off. I think it was on about 24%.
    I took it up to 85% which took 51 minutes. My car only has the 50kw charging capacity though.
    By the time I got home, I was at back down in the low 20% area.

Well despite starting this thread a few months back and being almost certain that I’d go full electric I’ve decided after taking all comments on board, looking at the infrastructure etc Im going with a hybrid. I’m going for an Evoque HSE hybrid which will give me c 35 mile range on full electric and a decent return when in hybrid mode. By the time this lease expires I’m hoping things will have come on a lot more which will make fully electric a more easier option
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 13th October 2021 at 22:18.

Master

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

I actually think that the charging situation will get worse rather than better over the next few years at least. Whilst they are Installing new charging points all the time, with the number of EVs now being sold every month the ratio of cars to chargers is likely going the wrong way.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I’ve just ordered a Renault Zoe on subscription from on.to. Includes free public charging from a number of charging providers.

It’s only a stop gap while I wait for my next car to arrive hopefully by the end of the year. But actually quite looking forward to running it for a few months. It’s a rolling monthly subscription - worth looking at if people ever fancy trying an ev.

I used to have a plug in Golf GTE. Hated it but did accept it was the first generation plus didn’t really fit my requirements. Poor research really. I’d have another plug in but the PHEV version of the car I’ve ordered was too difficult to justify plus is over 12 months delivery.

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Reading through this thread with interest, however a lot of the figures quoted eg insurance look like telephone numbers in comparison to my current situation - our second car for example is a golf 1.6 Tdi cabriolet which costs me £20 a year in tax, will do 55mpg+ all day long - and insurance is under £400 a year. It’s perfect for our rural location and the local roads, no worries about congestion charge locally at the moment. We have a drive and could fit a charger - my neighbour opposite has just taken delivery of a Mustang Mach E so it’ll be interesting to hear his opinion over the next few months. But it still strikes me as a rich mans game at present - most if not all the financial savings for someone like me doing about 8000 miles a year in each of 2 cars will be gobbled up by increased insurance, the cost of the car and getting the charger fitted etc, and who knows where electricity prices will be this time next year?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Reading through this thread with interest, however a lot of the figures quoted eg insurance look like telephone numbers in comparison to my current situation - our second car for example is a golf 1.6 Tdi cabriolet which costs me £20 a year in tax, will do 55mpg+ all day long - and insurance is under £400 a year. It’s perfect for our rural location and the local roads, no worries about congestion charge locally at the moment. We have a drive and could fit a charger - my neighbour opposite has just taken delivery of a Mustang Mach E so it’ll be interesting to hear his opinion over the next few months. But it still strikes me as a rich mans game at present - most if not all the financial savings for someone like me doing about 8000 miles a year in each of 2 cars will be gobbled up by increased insurance, the cost of the car and getting the charger fitted etc, and who knows where electricity prices will be this time next year?!?

Yes, now is a good time to get the crystal ball out if you have one and know how to use it! :-D

Insurance costs involved will be personal to everybody, but I pay well under that £400 for the ID.3 and around that for the Tesla.

As I said somewhere else in this thread, saving money isn’t really a reason to get an EV for most people, unless your current car needs replacing anyway and you can replace it with whatever you’d budgeted for the old one.

Electricity prices for me at home have nearly doubled since my supplier went bust last month, but it’s still cheaper than fossil fuels and who knows where they’ll be in a years time too.

The cheapest and least impactful driving is still no driving at all, which is the bottom line.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

Those are my concerns as well. We test drove an Audi Q4 and the Volvo 40 Pure last week, 1st time in an electric car and we were blown away. However one concern is that after say 3/5 or even 8 years what is the resale value of your asset going to be, who will want a car with batteries that have gone past and over 50% of say their warranty life and I can see electric prices or road taxes soaring through the roof especially once the government starts losing revenue on petrol/derv

I know technology changes by the day but at the moment theres some potential big hits to be swallowed and to be honest when speaking to the sales guys in their sales offices, they really haven't got a clue themselves how its all going to work or pan out, they just stand on a pulpit and start preaching Greta Thunberg - blar blar blar :)

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Those are my concerns as well. We test drove an Audi Q4 and the Volvo 40 Pure last week, 1st time in an electric car and we were blown away. However one concern is that after say 3/5 or even 8 years what is the resale value of your asset going to be, who will want a car with batteries that have gone past and over 50% of say their warranty life and I can see electric prices or road taxes soaring through the roof especially once the government starts losing revenue on petrol/derv

I know technology changes by the day but at the moment theres some potential big hits to be swallowed and to be honest when speaking to the sales guys in their sales offices, they really haven't got a clue themselves how its all going to work or pan out, they just stand on a pulpit and start preaching Greta Thunberg - blar blar blar :)
    Residual value of EVs is higher than ICE primarily due to the batteries. Average battery lifespan is much longer than the average car lifespan do there is retained value in the battery pack which can then be used elsewhere.

As government alter their road tax schemes, historically they don’t retrospectively apply it so it only applies to new vehicles going forward. If you buy an EV with zero rating now then it will (in all probability- but never say never) continue to be zero rated for its entire life even if future EVs have to pay a Road Fund Licence, which they are more than likely to have to do at some point.

One thing that worries me about Hybrids is the fact that they are being targeted by Catalytic Converter thieves as, apparently, the hybrid cats have a higher percentage of precious metals in them.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/06...earch-reveals/

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...e-toyota-prius

A neighbour recently bought a Hybrid and roughly a week later he had his CC nicked in the dead of night.
    It's perhaps wise to think of some sort of protection like Catlock or Smartwater to attempt to guard against this.

Looks like the Tesla Model 3 Long Range deal has been pulled whereby it was possible to lease one for £430 a month as opposed to £420 a month for Standard Range Plus. The LB back up to £520 or so a month so I changed to the Standard Model. Lease companies still showing the previous deal but they won't honour it

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Residual value of EVs is higher than ICE primarily due to the batteries. Average battery lifespan is much longer than the average car lifespan do there is retained value in the battery pack which can then be used elsewhere.

As government alter their road tax schemes, historically they don’t retrospectively apply it so it only applies to new vehicles going forward. If you buy an EV with zero rating now then it will (in all probability- but never say never) continue to be zero rated for its entire life even if future EVs have to pay a Road Fund Licence, which they are more than likely to have to do at some point.
    Interesting and thanks for the explanation. We are very tempted but maybe think it’s better to wait a while for the infrastructure to improve and a better range of these vehicles would be more encouraging

We were travelling across the M56 yesterday, there was an accident Eastbound where a wagon had blocked the 3 lanes completely and traffic was horrendous, made me think what it would be like sat there for hours on end, with kids, trying to keep warm and them entertained with a battery slowly depleting away

Would this not be the same with an ICE car though as they also rely on batteries to power entertainment etc? The difference being the EV has a considerably bigger one

Just had the 30min Teams chat with someone from Tesla. Like speaking to someone in a cult, quite weird and almost off-putting.

All she could do was screen share and show me the website I was already on. Didn't even get to see a car. Bit pointless really.

Got a test drive booked in for Saturday and will see how it goes. Can't pay with a credit card so the no chance of Cashback. Shame.

Just had the 30min Teams chat with someone from Tesla. Like speaking to someone in a cult, quite weird and almost off-putting.

All she could do was screen share and show me the website I was already on. Didn't even get to see a car. Bit pointless really.

Got a test drive booked in for Saturday and will see how it goes. Can't pay with a credit card so the no chance of Cashback. Shame.
    Unless you are a business owner then Leasing is the cheapest way into one unless you buy outright of course.

Unless you are a business owner then Leasing is the cheapest way into one unless you buy outright of course.
    Would buy outright. Think the residuals are stronger than the lease payments.

Bog standard white with the black seats. Just trying to weigh up the wheels and if I would grit my teeth and go for the long range.

How the hell doesn't the standard one have front fog lights?! What kind of economy class Smart car is this thing?!

£7.5k for longer range, 4 wheel drive, 12 speakers Vs 7, fog lights, a heated steering wheel, and heated rear seats which you can buy later for £300 to unlock anyway.

The Tesla rep put me off a bit as she quoted the range as "200 miles" a few times and when quizzed said it's because they don't recommend charging more than 80% hence 200 miles. Dunno...

The Tesla rep put me off a bit as she quoted the range as "200 miles" a few times and when quizzed said it's because they don't recommend charging more than 80% hence 200 miles. Dunno...
    Charging at home will put you above 80% all the time. On the supercharger network they want you to stick in the fast charging zone between 20-80% to get you out of there faster.

Over time your battery is going to lose performance. It is warrantied to be at least 70% of original capacity after 3 years (that's Tesla's low projection). In that situation, if it does go as low as that, the bigger battery is more valuable.

Unless you drive on the flat at 50mph then 350 miles+ is probably a pipe dream, but reviews have said 300+ is normal. If you are going to drive quick in hilly areas then subtract 50-60 miles. Every driver and environment is different. I just need to do 220 miles on cold motorway days, and that seems fine.

Are foglights (front) really necessary though? Standard lights have come on so far recently. I'd say if you are buying outright the Standard Range Plus is a better deal
    Would buy outright. Think the residuals are stronger than the lease payments.

Bog standard white with the black seats. Just trying to weigh up the wheels and if I would grit my teeth and go for the long range.

How the hell doesn't the standard one have front fog lights?! What kind of economy class Smart car is this thing?!

£7.5k for longer range, 4 wheel drive, 12 speakers Vs 7, fog lights, a heated steering wheel, and heated rear seats which you can buy later for £300 to unlock anyway.

Are foglights (front) really necessary though? Standard lights have come on so far recently. I'd say if you are buying outright the Standard Range Plus is a better deal
    Don't really care about fogs, just thought it was a legal requirement but apparently not. Last car I had without them was a Smart car in 2006.

What I don't really want is in 3-5 years for that "200 miles" to be 130-150 once you've got Aircon, heated seats, and don't drive like a granny. Particularly if you unlock the heated rear seats and have those on too.

As an example Cambridge is about 60 miles away and you'd want to be able to get there and back without charging in winter with four people going around 77mph* the whole time. I wouldn't want to be stuck in tailbacks with 15% remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Charging at home will put you above 80% all the time. On the supercharger network they want you to stick in the fast charging zone between 20-80% to get you out of there faster.

Over time your battery is going to lose performance. It is warrantied to be at least 70% of original capacity after 3 years (that's Tesla's low projection). In that situation, if it does go as low as that, the bigger battery is more valuable.

Unless you drive on the flat at 50mph then 350 miles+ is probably a pipe dream, but reviews have said 300+ is normal. If you are going to drive quick in hilly areas then subtract 50-60 miles. Every driver and environment is different. I just need to do 220 miles on cold motorway days, and that seems fine.
    The person from Tesla today said you can set it to stop at 80% at home and they recommend it.

I'm guessing the 360 on the long range is about 250 in real life charging to 80% (288 exactly).

I don't drive like a lout but I do make progress on motorways. You'd be raging if in 2 years going back to get the long range costs 15k when you could have just had it for 7.5k at the time.

Master
    I would expect the residuals will be better on the long range so wouldn’t end up costing that much extra overall and may mean you can avoid costly public chargers.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quick question for Model 3 owners - am I right in assuming you can use public high speed chargers like BP Pulse etc and just use the tethered CCS connector? Ie there is no need for an adaptor the Telsa is fine to connect with non Tesla chargers?

Master
    Quick question for Model 3 owners - am I right in assuming you can use public high speed chargers like BP Pulse etc and just use the tethered CCS connector? Ie there is no need for an adaptor the Telsa is fine to connect with non Tesla chargers?
    Yes, Tesla’s have access to CCS charging but it’s a one way street for now. Non Tesla’s can’t access the superchargers at the moment.

Craftsman
    Looks like the Tesla Model 3 Long Range deal has been pulled whereby it was possible to lease one for £430 a month as opposed to £420 a month for Standard Range Plus. The LB back up to £520 or so a month so I changed to the Standard Model. Lease companies still showing the previous deal but they won't honour it
    Might be worth phoning around a few Ryan, I literally paid the admin fee and e-signed papers with Lex Autolease via Carparison today. Hopefully no issues, should have a LR coming to me on a 6+47 deal at £475 a month (5k miles a year). Also if you're not in a rush use LeaseLoco as there are factory orders with similar of not better pricing available that will come in on the next Tesla shipment to the UK, probably in Feb.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    On charging I simply have my M3P set to 90% for everyday charging. If I know I have a manic day I charge to 95% but the screen tells me to pack it in and only do it now and then.

My old energy provider (rolls eyes) was pretty good. I set the tariff so that my car would be fully charged at 6:30am and they would choose when to change overnight and gave me 100 free miles a month for being so helpful.

On charging Ryan, yes the public CCS superchargers are fine with M3’s, they can handle the power which I think the MS and MX cannot.

Regards the experience above and ‘cult’ comments I do agree but for me a far nicer experience then the polished suited and booted bollocks have put up with with the German prestige brands over the previous 20 years.

If anyone would like a chat with me for an honest view of a year+ with a Tesla Model 3 please drop me a pm with your number, I would only be to pleased to help.

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    We were travelling across the M56 yesterday, there was an accident Eastbound where a wagon had blocked the 3 lanes completely and traffic was horrendous, made me think what it would be like sat there for hours on end, with kids, trying to keep warm and them entertained with a battery slowly depleting away
    Stopped but with car live, with cabin heating on, heated seats on and heated steering wheel going, entertainment and all lights on etc, my ID.3 is consuming 0.4kWh.

With a 62kWh battery, even if you only have 10% of that available when you hit that traffic jam, that’s an awful long time to be able to sit where you are.

The biggest consumer of the electric traction battery is that powerful motor, if they aren’t moving anywhere EVs don’t use much juice.

Master
    I wouldn't worry about limiting charging to 80 percent especially if you are AC charging and it's not every day.

Unless you plan to keep your car for 10 years.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Stopped but with car live, with cabin heating on, heated seats on and heated steering wheel going, entertainment and all lights on etc, my ID.3 is consuming 0.4kWh.

With a 62kWh battery, even if you only have 10% of that available when you hit that traffic jam, that’s an awful long time to be able to sit where you are.

The biggest consumer of the electric traction battery is that powerful motor, if they aren’t moving anywhere EVs don’t use much juice.
    That’s very interesting and pleasantly reassuring. I really was impressed with drive and handling, maybe looking too much into the negatives of electric motoring

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Might be worth phoning around a few Ryan, I literally paid the admin fee and e-signed papers with Lex Autolease via Carparison today. Hopefully no issues, should have a LR coming to me on a 6+47 deal at £475 a month (5k miles a year). Also if you're not in a rush use LeaseLoco as there are factory orders with similar of not better pricing available that will come in on the next Tesla shipment to the UK, probably in Feb.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I had issues with Lex due to recent credit checks for other vehicle finance and a remortgage meaning it went to underwriter (still deciding) and in the meantime I went through to Hippo Leasing and got it approved straight away however whilst the lease companies still advertise those rates by the time it gets approved it goes up as they have lowered the residual value of the Long Ranges.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 14th October 2021 at 23:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    On charging I simply have my M3P set to 90% for everyday charging. If I know I have a manic day I charge to 95% but the screen tells me to pack it in and only do it now and then.

On charging Ryan, yes the public CCS superchargers are fine with M3’s, they can handle the power which I think the MS and MX cannot.

If anyone would like a chat with me for an honest view of a year+ with a Tesla Model 3 please drop me a pm with your number, I would only be to pleased to help.

Pitch
    Thanks for this, really appreciate it :)

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Yes, Tesla’s have access to CCS charging but it’s a one way street for now. Non Tesla’s can’t access the superchargers at the moment.
    Cheers for the info :)

Journeyman
    My experience after having a Tesla Model 3 and running a Mercedes GLE in tandem. The Model 3 goes back to the lease company next week. It was a lovely drive, however felt like the old Ford Escort XR3i that you parked and bits fell off. It was also a pain in the ass to drive from Scotland to London. Required 4 to 5 stops for charging on a Long Range model. The other main issue I have seen as every sales rep, company director and company car user under the sun is running them now. Tax write down against corporation tax and the no benefit in kind tax have made them a victim of their own success, any of the main M40/M6 supercharger are packed and you can often wait to get on for a charge during commuting hours. In another couple of years when the infrastructure expands more I’ll go back. For now it’s a new GLE Diesel hybrid for me to replace the M3

Master
    Watched an interesting review of the Ioniq 5 by Bjorn Nyland on YouTube the other day.
    Journalists have been swooning over it and singing its praises very loudly but Bjorn’s video painted a pretty different picture.
    Hyundai make a big deal of the cars super fast charging ability but it’s not all as rosy as it seems.
    When the battery got too hot during the charging procedure it throttled the speed right back to protect the battery, thus negating the whole point of the fast charging ability.
    Then when he set off, due to the batteries being so hot, it reduced power to the car.
    If anyone is interested in watching the video for themselves it’s the 1000 km challenge.

Bjorn videos are not to shabby when it comes to EVs, think I’ve watched them all now. In part it was him that swayed me towards a PHEV for the time being.

Master
    Bjorn videos are not to shabby when it comes to EVs, think I’ve watched them all now. In part it was him that swayed me towards a PHEV for the time being.

He does make good videos. He’s quite funny and not overly serious in them. It makes them far more enjoyable.

Find it strange that opportunity hasn't been taken to radically redesign cars (those not based on existing models anyway). What's under the bonnet in an EV for example - storage, battery?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Find it strange that opportunity hasn't been taken to radically redesign cars (those not based on existing models anyway). What's under the bonnet in an EV for example - storage, battery?
    Great for stinky take away collection

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    My neighbour has a Jaguar and there is a storage cubby - he keeps his charger cable in it. When he lifted the bonnet, there was a lot of rainwater that had leaked in, which I thought was odd.

Master
    This is under the bonnet of the Enyaq. But then it has a big boot so I guess the designers didn’t really need to move all this stuff to make just a little bit of extra space.

I was watching this video about a car with solar panels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5LKU6bWScc

It gives the car about 70 miles per week of range from solar, so obviously not enough to keep the car going on a journey.

But it seems like a bit of a no brainer for cars to have solar to lessen the load on the charging infrastructure and make ownership easier for those without off street parking.

Interestingly it's also got the capability to charge other cars and even power your house.
    Last edited by Caruso; 15th October 2021 at 20:31.