closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 104 of 105 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105 LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,200 of 5235

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

  1. #5151
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Raving stories in a Dutch paper about this Cambridge-based company that has found a way to charge (a type of) batteries a lot quicker.

    https://www.store-dot.com/
    Just as well theres no more battery tech coming through as per some were saying on here.

  2. #5152
    Iím confused - still lots of stories on you-tube etc about how useless EVís are, not the future, how stupid people are for buying them etc. yet Iím still wafting to and from work in near silence in a car that is incredibly easy to drive, is fully charged at my door every morning, warms up almost immediately, with ferocious acceleration when needed - and my fuel costs are laughably low. What am I doing wrong? Ps I may be wrong but isnít petrol sort of running out? Iím clearly a dimwit but cars with oily engines seem as modern to me now as those telephones you used to get with a coiled wire and a dial that clicked round. Honestly, whatís it all about?

  3. #5153
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    5,155
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Iím confused - still lots of stories on you-tube etc about how useless EVís are, not the future, how stupid people are for buying them etc. yet Iím still wafting to and from work in near silence in a car that is incredibly easy to drive, is fully charged at my door every morning, warms up almost immediately, with ferocious acceleration when needed - and my fuel costs are laughably low. What am I doing wrong? Ps I may be wrong but isnít petrol sort of running out? Iím clearly a dimwit but cars with oily engines seem as modern to me now as those telephones you used to get with a coiled wire and a dial that clicked round. Honestly, whatís it all about?
    The negative press tends to come from people looking for publicity and is parroted by people who have never owned one imo

    Most owners I know have a similar experience to you as have I!

  4. #5154
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Iím confused - still lots of stories on you-tube etc about how useless EVís are, not the future, how stupid people are for buying them etc. yet Iím still wafting to and from work in near silence in a car that is incredibly easy to drive, is fully charged at my door every morning, warms up almost immediately, with ferocious acceleration when needed - and my fuel costs are laughably low. What am I doing wrong? Ps I may be wrong but isnít petrol sort of running out? Iím clearly a dimwit but cars with oily engines seem as modern to me now as those telephones you used to get with a coiled wire and a dial that clicked round. Honestly, whatís it all about?
    The internet and FB is littered with idiots who regurgitate incorrect information like itís the truth. As the previous poster just said itís normally always people who have never owned one. I wouldnít mind but they never come up with an argument thatís correct or makes any sense or one that canít be refuted in about 2 seconds.
    Electric cars adverts on FB are a great place to see this in actionÖ hours of fun.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5155
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    The internet and FB is littered with idiots who regurgitate incorrect information like itís the truth. As the previous poster just said itís normally always people who have never owned one. I wouldnít mind but they never come up with an argument thatís correct or makes any sense or one that canít be refuted in about 2 seconds.
    Electric cars adverts on FB are a great place to see this in actionÖ hours of fun.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or nonsense like 'charge rate of over 310kW' from

    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Raving stories in a Dutch paper about this Cambridge-based company that has found a way to charge (a type of) batteries a lot quicker.

    https://www.store-dot.com/
    ?

  6. #5156
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    16,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Or nonsense like 'charge rate of over 310kW' from

    ?
    Why is that nonsense, we already have 350kw public chargers?

    The only difference with the reported battery technology is that the batteries can support this rate of charge across most of, if not all, its charging range.

  7. #5157
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    The negative press tends to come from people looking for publicity and is parroted by people who have never owned one imo

    Most owners I know have a similar experience to you as have I!
    If you are a columnist then the story of how you can't charge your EV on Christmas Eve and missed your children's eyes as they opened their presents gives you a readership and income, whereas "I got in my fully charged car that cost me only 5.00 to charge and enjoyed an uneventful if busy journey down to my house with a boot full of Christmas presents" doesn't.

  8. #5158
    Master gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,952
    Generally enjoying the C40, although we have had a few software issues. The most recent ("propulsion system requires service") requiring a trip to Volvo. Picked up from the drive by Volvo Assist and ready a couple of days later.

    Last edited by gunner; 3rd July 2024 at 10:19.

  9. #5159
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    In the chicken coop.....
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m confused - still lots of stories on you-tube etc about how useless EV’s are, not the future, how stupid people are for buying them etc. yet I’m still wafting to and from work in near silence in a car that is incredibly easy to drive, is fully charged at my door every morning, warms up almost immediately, with ferocious acceleration when needed - and my fuel costs are laughably low. What am I doing wrong? Ps I may be wrong but isn’t petrol sort of running out? I’m clearly a dimwit but cars with oily engines seem as modern to me now as those telephones you used to get with a coiled wire and a dial that clicked round. Honestly, what’s it all about?
    Quite.

    I had an EV initially as a runaround with another diesel car for load-lugging high-mileage duties. I was, I admit, pretty sceptical.

    Four years on, the diesel car has gone and I now have 2 EVs, one of which does a real 320-350 miles, meaning that range anxiety is gone. I mostly fill up at home on a cheap rate, which gives me the equivalent of over 300mpg. Filling up at a motorway service station is expensive, admittedly, but still no more expensive than an ICE car and I rarely have to do it, so when it's needed I just accept it. The speed of charging at public chargers is pretty awesome - I stuck 150 miles in my Mach-E in about 20 minutes, which was how long it took me to nip to the loo and get a coffee.

    Fast, smooth, efficient, cheap to run? Ah, but they wear out, the batteries cost the earth etc etc. My other car is a Nissan Leaf, now 7 years old with 70k on it. Still does 110 miles on a charge .... which is probably 10 fewer than it was when I got it. At some point it might need the battery replacing, but that'll be years away and by then the car will probably need to be scrapped. Would you stick a new engine in a 150k Nissan Micra? Me neither, so when I get there with the Leaf it might well get binned. Obviously if there's a cost-effective replacement I'd look at that, but in the meantime I just get in with enjoying the silence, the smoothness and the cheapest motoring I've ever had.
    Last edited by Longblackcoat; 3rd July 2024 at 11:21.

  10. #5160
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    26,103
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Generally enjoying the C40, although we have had a few software issues. The most recent ("propulsion system requires service") requiring a trip to Volvo. Picked up from the drive by Volvo Assist and ready a couple of days later.

    Do Volvo provide you a ''loaner'' in the interim coupla days?

  11. #5161
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Why is that nonsense, we already have 350kw public chargers?

    The only difference with the reported battery technology is that the batteries can support this rate of charge across most of, if not all, its charging range.
    That is not a RATE of charge.

  12. #5162
    Master gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Do Volvo provide you a ''loaner'' in the interim coupla days?
    They offered, but I declined as we have another option already.

  13. #5163
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    16,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    That is not a RATE of charge.
    Yes it is, or more precisely itís a rate of energy transfer.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt

  14. #5164
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    17,143
    A bit OT, and possibly specific to an individual model (Audi Q4), but replacement of the high voltage fuse that blows when the airbags / seatbelt tensioners operate involves removal and partial dismantling of the battery. Basically if the air bags go off, the car is an insurance write-off.

    Video here, if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9ISvjkpm3A

  15. #5165
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    16,345
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    A bit OT, and possibly specific to an individual model (Audi Q4), but replacement of the high voltage fuse that blows when the airbags / seatbelt tensioners operate involves removal and partial dismantling of the battery. Basically if the air bags go off, the car is an insurance write-off.

    Video here, if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9ISvjkpm3A
    To be fair, most cars are written off if the airbags go off.

    Certainly though, nobody should be working anywhere near the high voltage parts of an EV unless suitably trained/qualified.

  16. #5166

    Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    That is not a RATE of charge.
    Ok so Iím assuming youíre talking amps here?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #5167
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Another day in London trying to find a charging point so that I can travel outside of the M25.

    Iím used to finding ICE cars on the EV charging bay, but is a new one on me.

    Looks like that will be the only private owned vehicle you'll be allowed to drive in central London without having to pay the congestion charge now EV's have to pay the same charge as other vehicles from next year...

  18. #5168
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    16,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Looks like that will be the only private owned vehicle you'll be allowed to drive in central London without having to pay the congestion charge now EV's have to pay the same charge as other vehicles from next year...
    Seems fair enough, they cause as much congestion as any other car.

    Hopefully should still be ULEZ charge free though, although thatís not a given!

  19. #5169
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Quite.

    I had an EV initially as a runaround with another diesel car for load-lugging high-mileage duties. I was, I admit, pretty sceptical.

    Four years on, the diesel car has gone and I now have 2 EVs, one of which does a real 320-350 miles, meaning that range anxiety is gone. I mostly fill up at home on a cheap rate, which gives me the equivalent of over 300mpg. Filling up at a motorway service station is expensive, admittedly, but still no more expensive than an ICE car and I rarely have to do it, so when it's needed I just accept it. The speed of charging at public chargers is pretty awesome - I stuck 150 miles in my Mach-E in about 20 minutes, which was how long it took me to nip to the loo and get a coffee.

    Fast, smooth, efficient, cheap to run? Ah, but they wear out, the batteries cost the earth etc etc. My other car is a Nissan Leaf, now 7 years old with 70k on it. Still does 110 miles on a charge .... which is probably 10 fewer than it was when I got it. At some point it might need the battery replacing, but that'll be years away and by then the car will probably need to be scrapped. Would you stick a new engine in a 150k Nissan Micra? Me neither, so when I get there with the Leaf it might well get binned. Obviously if there's a cost-effective replacement I'd look at that, but in the meantime I just get in with enjoying the silence, the smoothness and the cheapest motoring I've ever had.
    Why not change the engine in the micra? You can pick one up for £800 and a couple of hundred in labour. If youíve only 12 or £1500 and youíre desperate itís well worth doing. I doubt of youíd find a battery pack for yours at that price. The irony not lost on many is the cars at the bottom end of the spectrum are cheap to buy and run if youíve the spanners some ability and no money.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  20. #5170
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,832
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Why not change the engine in the micra? You can pick one up for £800 and a couple of hundred in labour. If youíve only 12 or £1500 and youíre desperate itís well worth doing. I doubt of youíd find a battery pack for yours at that price. The irony not lost on many is the cars at the bottom end of the spectrum are cheap to buy and run if youíve the spanners some ability and no money.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    £200 bill for a garage to drop and engine in??? Cheap were you are.

    So, me, three years of Tesla motoring, 6 months back in a petrol BMW and now 6 weeks back in a Tesla. Jumped in the Bemmer yesterday for the first time in a month and it was noisy, power delivery is just horrible, it vibrates and then I had to pop into a stinky filling station.

    Itís horses for courses and great that we all like and appreciate different things.

    Pitch

  21. #5171
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    In the chicken coop.....
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Why not change the engine in the micra? You can pick one up for £800 and a couple of hundred in labour. If youíve only 12 or £1500 and youíre desperate itís well worth doing. I doubt of youíd find a battery pack for yours at that price. The irony not lost on many is the cars at the bottom end of the spectrum are cheap to buy and run if youíve the spanners some ability and no money.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Iíve run multiple cars with more than 200k miles on them, and never replaced an engine. The point I was making about a Micra is that no-one would bother replacing the engine at that mileage as the rest of the car would be worn out. If you did it would cost thousands.

    For reference, a complete secondhand battery pack for my Leaf is £1500 on eBay right now. It just bolts in.

    it might be that itís worth replacing once the battery is fully worn out on my Leaf; weíll just have to see.

  22. #5172
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    16,345
    Exactly this.

    My son in law fried the clutch on his 2007, 192,000 mile Ford Focus on Friday. Depending on the cost to fix it, he will probably now scrap the car and buy another car.

    He has said heíll probably buy a 40kwhr battery Nissan Leaf.

  23. #5173
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    9,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Exactly this.

    My son in law fried the clutch on his 2007, 192,000 mile Ford Focus on Friday. Depending on the cost to fix it, he will probably now scrap the car and buy another car.

    He has said heíll probably buy a 40kwhr battery Nissan Leaf.
    An expensive recovery from its current location, or just the same as anywhere else?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  24. #5174
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    16,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    An expensive recovery from its current location, or just the same as anywhere else?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    AA managed to look at it (and confirm what we already knew) on Saturday lunchtime. They arranged to recover today between 12.00 and 4pm.

    Itís just being loaded up now and being recovered to their house.

    Fortunately they both have recovery with their insurance so they donít have to pay for it but the AA guy on Saturday had been to two cars on site before him so must be well practiced with the situation.

    Fortunately, my ex (lives about two hours away from Silverstone picked us all up from the Sixfields park and ride drop off and we used my car gir sstyand Sunday.

  25. #5175
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    9,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    AA managed to look at it (and confirm what we already knew) on Saturday lunchtime. They arranged to recover today between 12.00 and 4pm.

    Itís just being loaded up now and being recovered to their house.

    Fortunately they both have recovery with their insurance so they donít have to pay for it but the AA guy on Saturday had been to two cars on site before him so must be well practiced with the situation.

    Fortunately, my ex (lives about two hours away from Silverstone picked us all up from the Sixfields park and ride drop off and we used my car gir sstyand Sunday.
    That is lucky & glad it was not more expense on an already expensive weekend. When I was not moving forward my options were flashing through my head regarding extraction.

  26. #5176
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    16,345
    My daughter and her husband bought the tickets for his father and me for our 60th birthdays so they cost us nothing.

    That said, it was still an expensive weekend but worth every penny IMHO.

  27. #5177
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    16,345
    To bring it back to the EV thread, did you notice all the Skoda Enyaq EVs ferrying people around inside the circuit?

  28. #5178
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,832
    Blog Entries
    1
    Did someone mention BMW i3ís on here???

    Ta
    Pitch

  29. #5179
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    9,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    To bring it back to the EV thread, did you notice all the Skoda Enyaq EVs ferrying people around inside the circuit?
    I saw a load outside of the circuit in the morning & wondered if that was what they would be used for. Electric black cabs too inside.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  30. #5180
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Did someone mention BMW i3ís on here???

    Ta
    Pitch
    Wife has one (non s).

    We both love it and will be gutted to see it go.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending RodrŪguez

  31. #5181
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    6,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Did someone mention BMW i3ís on here???

    Ta
    Pitch
    I had an early one, back in 2014, albeit the REx version with the 60Ah battery. Great car though!

    Are you thinking of adding one to the stable?!

  32. #5182
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    17,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    My daughter and her husband bought the tickets for his father and me for our 60th birthdays so they cost us nothing.

    That said, it was still an expensive weekend but worth every penny IMHO.
    That's good to hear. Nobody wants to spend longer at Sixfields than they have to.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

  33. #5183
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,832
    Blog Entries
    1
    Cheers fellas and yes buddy, wifeís BMW goes soon, great deal on a Corsa-e has come up which I was going to order tonight but for some reason started looking at i3ís.

    There is a 42.2kWh 2019 with 70k on the clock close. 20Ē shod, nice grey and good spec.

    Big question is it worth a drive, I keep reading good things.

    Many thanks

    Pitch

  34. #5184
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    6,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Cheers fellas and yes buddy, wifeís BMW goes soon, great deal on a Corsa-e has come up which I was going to order tonight but for some reason started looking at i3ís.

    There is a 42.2kWh 2019 with 70k on the clock close. 20Ē shod, nice grey and good spec.

    Big question is it worth a drive, I keep reading good things.

    Many thanks

    Pitch
    The BEV version is the one to go for, whilst the REx is good for tackling range anxiety, it also brings a raft of complex (and expensive) potential issues.

    From my time on the EV forums, and I only had my i3 a couple of years so didnít experience the issues older cars will have, AC compressors were a weak point as they also do the battery cooling and work quite hard. The i3 is a tidy handling car with firm suspension so check she likes the ride, but front suspension components quickly wear out (suspension top mounts) and will need regular replacement. Rear tyres in particular can wear out quickly, depending on driving style obviously, and some of the LED lighting can start to fail after a few years.

    Some folks have reported bubbling paint on the carbon painted roof due to heat stress, just a cosmetic thing really, and the charging flap lock also seems to be a weak point. Mine suffered from various interior rattles as well, but itís a stiff monocoque construction and vibration is transferred quite readily. The glovebox damper was the main culprit in mine, drove me mad until I isolated it and fixed it with sticky felt etc.

    Battery and motors seem to be solid though, which is important in an EV.

    If you do fancy going down a YouTube rabbit hole, this channel has lots of videos covering the i3, they sell a lot of them.

    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...gCeHXe0ams-3m9

    Not sure what range EV your wife will need, or size etc, but a used Mini EV looks pretty good value at the moment, she might be interested if sheís been looking at the Corsa-e as well?

  35. #5185
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Cheers fellas and yes buddy, wifeís BMW goes soon, great deal on a Corsa-e has come up which I was going to order tonight but for some reason started looking at i3ís.

    There is a 42.2kWh 2019 with 70k on the clock close. 20Ē shod, nice grey and good spec.

    Big question is it worth a drive, I keep reading good things.

    Many thanks

    Pitch
    Honestly - if I didnít need the room Iíd swap into an i3s from my x3.

    So easy to drive and so much fun.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending RodrŪguez

  36. #5186
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,832
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Honestly - if I didnít need the room Iíd swap into an i3s from my x3.

    So easy to drive and so much fun.
    Really Stooo?????? Taking a look at one on Thursday

    Pitch

  37. #5187
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    5,265
    Blog Entries
    1
    My daughter has just had the Audi Q4c and loves it, bar the endless safety functions that spoil the driving experience, but the BIK tax saving more than makes up for that she informed me.

    Without fleet sales EV sales would be on their arse. I don’t know anyone who has purchased a EV in a private sale, why would you with a potential loss of 60% after three years. Buying second hand today is still a no go to many people due to the scaremongering of battery life and the cost should the battery fail rendering the car worthless.

    I have to say there are some great buys secondhand should you want to take a chance.
    Last edited by hilly10; 10th July 2024 at 06:55.

  38. #5188
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,832
    Blog Entries
    1
    The two questions always asked is ďhow far can you goĒ and ďyeah, how much will it cost to replace the batteryĒ. ?????

    Replies ÖÖ..Ēfar enough 350 days of the year, my bladder dictates the other two weeksĒ and ďhow much is an engine for your carĒ ??????

    Itís ten years since the Model S hit the UKís roads, and the majority are now scrapped due to batteries having given up, just the newer one left nowÖÖÖ.(rolls eyesÖÖ..) People just need to do some proper research, stop reading fake news and stop listening to the uninformed, it makes sense.


    Pitch

  39. #5189
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    16,345
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Without fleet sales EV sales would be on their arse. I don’t know anyone who has purchased a EV in a private sale, why would you with a potential loss of 60% after three years. Buying second hand today is still a no go to many people due to the scaremongering of battery life and the cost should the battery fail rendering the car worthless.
    Certainly take up would have been slower without government incentives but on their arse?

    WRT depreciation, a good rule of thumb with ICE is 50% every three years, more expensive and less popular cars can be higher. EVs costing more to start with will undoubtedly have slightly higher depreciation and 60% isnít massively more than 50%.

    And anyway, how many people look at potential depreciation when theyíre signing on the dotted line for their PCP deal for which they can afford the monthly payment?

    The clutch failed on my son in laws Focus last weekend which has rendered it worthless (well apart from £300 scrap value) so itís not just EVs that can become uneconomical to repair should major components fail.

    In general, I think itís fair to say that just about every criticism levelled at EVs can equally be levelled at ICE vehicles.

  40. #5190
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Really Stooo?????? Taking a look at one on Thursday

    Pitch
    Yeah. My driving is 50% city, 50% urban/rural. I rarely reach a motorway (but do need to on occasion).

    The i3 feels like a sit-in skateboard - ideal for my driving.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending RodrŪguez

  41. #5191
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    6,017
    People have been telling me for 10 years that EVs are a flash in the pan.

    Iím also one of those idiots who buys them privatelyÖ

    Theyíre just cars, powered by motors and batteries, and personally I find them technically interesting and fit around how I use a car very well.

    Iíve only ever made a profit on a car once in my lifetime, theyíre depreciating assets at the end of the day, and for me are there to do a job. Whether something is worth 50 or 60% after 3 years is small beans in the grand scheme, but there are definitely some good used prices at the moment.

    With 8 year battery and motor warranties out there, the manufacturers are carrying the risk anyway.

  42. #5192
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    16,345
    My nine year old van only had a five year battery warranty, should I be panicking yet?

  43. #5193
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    17,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Certainly take up would have been slower without government incentives but on their arse?

    WRT depreciation, a good rule of thumb with ICE is 50% every three years, more expensive and less popular cars can be higher. EVs costing more to start with will undoubtedly have slightly higher depreciation and 60% isnít massively more than 50%.
    Not sure how good a comparison this is, but 2021 BMW X3 are from about £40k, and iX3 from about £30k. Conversely, Peugeot 208 are from about £12k, and e208 about £1500 more expensive. So that broadly agrees with your assessment.

  44. #5194
    Grand Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    12,109
    Blog Entries
    8
    JD Powerís survey 2024 is interesting. Itís on the internet.

    Then this:

    Audi has announced that they will close their Bruxelles plant where the Q8-e-tron is built. ĎThe market has collapsedí. 55,000 cars in Ď23, 20,000 cars this year and the plantís Ď25 forecast is 6,000 cars.

    Whatís happening?

  45. #5195
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    JD Powerís survey 2024 is interesting. Itís on the internet.

    Then this:

    Audi has announced that they will close their Bruxelles plant where the Q8-e-tron is built. ĎThe market has collapsedí. 55,000 cars in Ď23, 20,000 cars this year and the plantís Ď25 forecast is 6,000 cars.

    Whatís happening?
    There is a lot more competition in the premium SUV space than there was, and the e-tron is showing itís age compared with the competition despite the facelift when it became the Q8 e-tron.
    Most governments are scaling back the incentives for people to buy an EV, so itís not surprising that sales have dropped in those markets.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  46. #5196
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    6,017
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    JD Powerís survey 2024 is interesting. Itís on the internet.

    Then this:

    Audi has announced that they will close their Bruxelles plant where the Q8-e-tron is built. ĎThe market has collapsedí. 55,000 cars in Ď23, 20,000 cars this year and the plantís Ď25 forecast is 6,000 cars.

    Whatís happening?
    What is happening is that Audi have over capacity at all their factories, not just the ones that make EVs.

    I think it was earlier this year where Audi issued a statement that they were thinking of killing off the Q8 altogether due to falling demand, or moving production to Mexico and/or China where presumably they still manage to sell some.

    Itís a bit of a niche model the Q8 in all its forms.

    In contrast, the Volvo EX-30 is a new EV model and is selling well.

    Mrs Tooks is selling her Tesla at some point this year and ordering an EX-30, she doesnít like the updated M3 with its lack of indicator stalks and even more reliance on the main screen, including to select drive modes.

  47. #5197
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    What is happening is that Audi have over capacity at all their factories, not just the ones that make EVs.

    I think it was earlier this year where Audi issued a statement that they were thinking of killing off the Q8 altogether due to falling demand, or moving production to Mexico and/or China where presumably they still manage to sell some.

    Itís a bit of a niche model the Q8 in all its forms.

    In contrast, the Volvo EX-30 is a new EV model and is selling well.

    Mrs Tooks is selling her Tesla at some point this year and ordering an EX-30, she doesnít like the updated M3 with its lack of indicator stalks and even more reliance on the main screen, including to select drive modes.
    The Volvo doesn't appear to be a lot better;

    https://www.carscoops.com/2024/07/vo...agued-by-bugs/

  48. #5198
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    6,017
    Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    The Volvo doesn't appear to be a lot better;

    https://www.carscoops.com/2024/07/vo...agued-by-bugs/
    As more and more cars go software dependent, and not just EVs, I guess we’re going to get such new model hiccups.

    The VW ID.3 software issues at launch are well known and documented, what is less widely reported is that the Golf 8 was running the same software and in car entertainment and had the same bugs, it wasn’t just an EV thing.

    It’s all been fixed since then of course, software updates were rolled out, but I’m sure some customers demanded and got refunds.

    The EX-30 is shifting quite well across Europe, up to 2nd place behind the Model Y, and outselling its Renault sibling (Megane E-Tech) by almost 3 to 1.

    Mrs Tooks is happy the EX-30 has at least got an indicator stalk!

  49. #5199
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    17,143
    I believe the facelifted Golf 8 (8.5) has re-introduced some physical buttons, and hopefully there will be legislation restricting their use. Frankly touchscreens are at least as dangerous as using a mobile phone.

  50. #5200
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    6,017
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I believe the facelifted Golf 8 (8.5) has re-introduced some physical buttons, and hopefully there will be legislation restricting their use. Frankly touchscreens are at least as dangerous as using a mobile phone.
    I donít find them distracting at all in my ID.4, everything is either set before I depart (usually where I left things the previous journey) or is changed via a haptic button (like cabin temp or A/C on/off etc). Iím not ever forced to do something that takes my concentration or eyes away from the road.

    The rest of the stuff like wipers and lighting is all automatic anyway, but at least thereís a stalk or dedicated buttons to override if you need to.

    Interestingly, a recent software update issues a warning and freezes the screen if you are tempted to do something beyond pressing a virtual button on the main screen whilst in motion, which I think is sensible.

    The voice control is pretty good as well, not that I find the need to use it much, but it will set the sat nav for example by me just saying Ďnavigate toí and then the address.

    Technology isnít really the issue, as ever itís the people using it inappropriately.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information