closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 69 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,450 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Master
    Don’t take your Tesla out in the rain.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news...paign=sharebar

They live in Baberton and drove to the city centre (Frederick Street). They could have just as easily taken the bus. We have excellent public transport in Edinburgh.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 15th October 2023 at 14:03.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post

Should have bought a Leaf

https://youtu.be/Y9plRzRZ_PY?si=MjsRTZHuiU7TVLYp

Why is that not going through insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Why is that not going through insurance?
    Cos it don't make the local rag that way 😂

Master
    Presumably, all these broke down just up the road!

I’d say they have a case really, if the battery pack has taken water in, then how? There might be more to it of course, as always, but they might have damaged the casing in some way, or it wasn’t put together properly in the first place?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Presumably, all these broke down just up the road!

I’d say they have a case really, if the battery pack has taken water in, then how? There might be more to it of course, as always, but they might have damaged the casing in some way, or it wasn’t put together properly in the first place?
    Life must be pretty dull in that part of the world if that’s what gives the locals a buzz.

They live in Baberton and drove to the city centre (Frederick Street). They could have just as easily taken the bus. We have excellent public transport in Edinburgh.
    Eh? So you're saying cars should only ever be used for long journeys? Good luck with that.

P.S. To add, I don't disagree with your sentiment, but it will never work (people are lazy f*ckers). I'm out in Portobello for a meal this week, and I'll be walking there and back from Trinity, 5 miles each way, but I prefer walking to using the car / LRT.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 15th October 2023 at 15:28.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Eh? So you're saying cars should only ever be used for long journeys? Good luck with that.

P.S. To add, I don't disagree with your sentiment, but it will never work (people are lazy f*ckers). I'm out in Portobello for a meal this week, and I'll be walking there and back from Trinity, 5 miles each way, but I prefer walking to using the car / LRT.
    The guys in the Edinburgh Live feature made the fatal mistake of taking their crazily expensive motor out in the rain. Bet they wish they’d got the bus.

Yes, people are lazy. I have the Union Canal on my doorstep so I use that for my visits to and from the city centre. I’d sooner walk than get the bus. Next year I’ll qualify for a free bus travel pass. No intention of getting one. Walking is never a chore and this has been a perfect weekend for walking.

Interesting perspective from Harry Metcalfe.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Interesting perspective from Harry Metcalfe.

I’ve been an Evo subscriber since Issue 1, love the mag and the insight into all kinds of vehicles I’ll never own or even drive.

I don’t watch many of Harry’s videos, but I do wonder why he’s creating this false dichotomy of what should be the ‘family car’ when it’s clearly not a 1 car household.

We ran a PHEV (Golf GTE) back in 2015 for 3 or so years, and it’s similar to what he said in his video in that we covered about 40% of our mileage entirely on electric. Had it been possessed of a bigger battery, it would have been more. We were diligent about plugging it in though, and yes longer journeys were a breeze and it returned about 35-40mpg on those. Whilst reliable, it did need a lot of scheduled maintenance.

The way they use the current Range Rover PHEV is exactly how they should be using it, but I don’t think the Taycan is a natural alternative, unless one of your criteria is it must cost £125k, but each to their own.

I can honestly say that I’ve also never rocked up to a friends house and asked where the 3 pin plug is, it’s not an ‘etiquette’ in my world, and I decline where it’s offered anyway, and I don’t routinely carry the 3 pin slow charger with me either. I charge up on the way or on the way back if required, the same as I’d fill the tank up on the journey in an ICE.

Our household drives in total about 40k miles each year for a mix of social and work, the 2 EVs cover it all, apart from the diesel camper van which obviously does things that the other vehicles can’t do. I also get work hire cars that are usually petrol/diesel, although lately some BMW i4s have started turning up, which are very nice.

I used to get depressed about the future being devoid of new petrol and diesel vehicles, and whilst I still miss the sound of the inline 5 in my old fast Audi’s, there’s enough coming down the electric tracks to keep me interested in cars and driving.

Taycan starts at £79,200

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Taycan starts at £79,200

Not the one Harry had in his garage!

Craftsman
    I can honestly say that I’ve also never rocked up to a friends house and asked where the 3 pin plug is, it’s not an ‘etiquette’ in my world, and I decline where it’s offered anyway, and I don’t routinely carry the 3 pin slow charger with me either. I charge up on the way or on the way back if required, the same as I’d fill the tank up on the journey in an ICE.
    This.
    I like Harry’s garage, but it makes me think he doesn’t really understand EVs.
    Nobody in their right mind would arrive at a friends house with 10% range. You would plan your route and make sure you had charged up to a comfortable % before arriving. You plan around charging. Book hotels / Airbnb with destination charging.etc
    It’s just a slightly different way of planning a journey.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    This.
    I like Harry’s garage, but it makes me think he doesn’t really understand EVs.
    Nobody in their right mind would arrive at a friends house with 10% range. You would plan your route and make sure you had charged up to a comfortable % before arriving. You plan around charging. Book hotels / Airbnb with destination charging.etc
    It’s just a slightly different way of planning a journey.
    I guess he needs to get views...more drama = more views?

Would have been much more boring to say, I turned up at my friend's house with 60% after stopping for a pee and adding 50% while I went...?

(by the way I haven't watched the video!)

Interesting. Seems scary cheap and is reserved now but the history on the app I use is showing as £29,298. Must have been a mistake as no dealer chops 50% on a used car?

https://www.carsupermarket.com/used/...auto-bu70xfz-1

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    No way was that the correct price.

Thats reserved now Chris…wondering why it was so cheap, other similar are 24k, weird

There’s an interesting comparison test in this weeks Auto Express; ID3 vs Golf, Corsa E vs petrol, Tesla 3 vs bmw 320(petrol I think but could be diesel) and Leaf vs Duke.

In every case, the EV proved more costly but with the exception of the Vauxhalls, it was within £1000 over three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    No way was that the correct price.
    Popped up on my Twitter feed.

It seemed ludicrously cheap but I don't follow prices to any great extent.

Blog Entries

Grand Master
    In the not too distant future electric cars will not be the viable solution to the greener planet we need as Governments have had us believe.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 21st October 2023 at 09:33.

Tell us more, like why?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    In the not too distant future electric cars will not be the viable solution to the greener planet we need as Governments have had us believe.
    Which Government is saying that electric cars are meant to be ‘the’ viable solution to the ‘greener planet we need’? They are a small part of the solution though, and are a proven and more sustainable lower carbon version of what we have already, a step in the right direction. It’s funny how nobody suggests the alternative, or is it just carry on as we are, burning stuff with zero attempt to reduce it?

Less consumption of everything, fewer private vehicles in total, more green public transport, less flying, de-carbonising of the electricity grid and food and, the elephant in the room, dramatically lower population growth will be the solution though, cars are just the tip of the iceberg. No pun intended.

You really have to add some explanation for this to be viewed as anything other than gibberish.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Which Government is saying that electric cars are meant to be ‘the’ viable solution to the ‘greener planet we need’? They are a small part of the solution though, and are a proven and more sustainable lower carbon version of what we have already, a step in the right direction. It’s funny how nobody suggests the alternative, or is it just carry on as we are, burning stuff with zero attempt to reduce it?

Less consumption of everything, fewer private vehicles in total, more green public transport, less flying, de-carbonising of the electricity grid and food and, the elephant in the room, dramatically lower population growth will be the solution though, cars are just the tip of the iceberg. No pun intended.
    Totally agree with your prescription there...Just not sure that getting folks to swap a car for another car is really the way towards persuading anyone to consume less of everything as it´s holding out the promise, the flawed conceit, that we can all continue to consume, just slightly differently...which is fallacious.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Totally agree with your prescription there...Just not sure that getting folks to swap a car for another car is really the way towards persuading anyone to consume less as it´s holding out the promise that we can all continue to consume, just slightly differently...which is fallacious.
    Well, it would be if existing ICE cars were somehow zero emission once they’d got to a certain age, but for petrol and diesel engines their main carbon emissions come from the use phase. 12kgs of carbon for every UK gallon burnt, and UK vehicles covering 880 million miles per day, you can see how it’s a big target to put a dent in, and why it’s being touted as a useful thing to do.

As for many people alternatives to their car is either non-existent or very inconvenient, then buying an EV the next time you change your car (and if you can, they’re expensive etc) is a step forward.

But, to try and say that EVs ‘won’t save the planet’ is in itself a fallacious argument. They won’t, but they were never going to, it’s merely a less polluting way of maintaining personal mobility. EVs as a step forward is easy, the really difficult stuff is yet to be tackled, and likely never will be is my fear.

But hey, we’ve been around this buoy several times in this very thread haven’t we, and I’m not going to fall out with people over it or let it spoil my participation on the forum, I will just interject with some reasoning now and again.

Well, it would be if existing ICE cars were somehow zero emission once they’d got to a certain age, but for petrol and diesel engines their main carbon emissions come from the use phase. 12kgs of carbon for every UK gallon burnt, and UK vehicles covering 880 million miles per day, you can see how it’s a big target to put a dent in, and why it’s being touted as a useful thing to do.

As for many people alternatives to their car is either non-existent or very inconvenient, then buying an EV the next time you change your car (and if you can, they’re expensive etc) is a step forward.

But, to try and say that EVs ‘won’t save the planet’ is in itself a fallacious argument. They won’t, but they were never going to, it’s merely a less polluting way of maintaining personal mobility. EVs as a step forward is easy, the really difficult stuff is yet to be tackled, and likely never will be is my fear.

But hey, we’ve been around this buoy several times in this very thread haven’t we, and I’m not going to fall out with people over it or let it spoil my participation on the forum, I will just interject with some reasoning now and again.
    Hey ho, as you note we´ve been round this buoy T, so happy to leave it, don´t wish to spoil or be a mood hoover.

12kgs of carbon for every UK gallon burnt, and UK vehicles covering 880 million miles per day, you can see how it’s a big target to put a dent in, and why it’s being touted as a useful thing to do.
    A gallon of petrol only weighs about 3.2kg to start with, Paul Daniels would struggle to get 12kg out of it. But I see your point overall and also Passengers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    A gallon of petrol only weighs about 3.2kg to start with, Paul Daniels would struggle to get 12kg out of it. But I see your point overall and also Passengers.
    https://www.quora.com/How-does-burni...-64-lbs-of-CO2

Disclaimer: I haven’t researched to see if this is accurate.

Master
    Yes, like people are understanding that there’s a carbon footprint involved in manufacturing any vehicle, and also the generation of a kWh of electricity, so there is a large carbon footprint associated with a gallon of petrol or diesel (incl extraction, refining, storage, transport, burning etc), and it’s universally accepted as 2.6kg CO2 per litre.

I’m not demonising petrol or diesel, heck I still have one, but that’s just the numbers and I suppose why governments are trying to nibble at it.

Yes, like people are understanding that there’s a carbon footprint involved in manufacturing any vehicle, and also the generation of a kWh of electricity, so there is a large carbon footprint associated with a gallon of petrol or diesel (incl extraction, refining, storage, transport, burning etc), and it’s universally accepted as 2.6kg CO2 per litre.

I’m not demonising petrol or diesel, heck I still have one, but that’s just the numbers and I suppose why governments are trying to nibble at it.
    Point taken. I suppose its the same as a few gallons of water being used to make one cup of coffee or pint of beer if you look at the whole process.

Master
    Point taken. I suppose its the same as a few gallons of water being used to make one cup of coffee or pint of beer if you look at the whole process.
    Yes, that and the binding of the carbon emitted from the combustion process with oxygen molecules to form CO2, as described in Jaytips link.

If we could just get rid of the oxygen in the air, we’d be fine…

If we could just get rid of the oxygen in the air, we’d be fine…
    I see an issue with that................

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    You really have to add some explanation for this to be viewed as anything other than gibberish.
    It is more of an observation of the infrastructure we have now,and getting it all in place to work seamlessly for the future.

Its my opinion it wont be achievable to have all electric vehicles....I just dont see it.

Others have their opinion too.

It is more of an observation of the infrastructure we have now,and getting it all in place to work seamlessly for the future.

Its my opinion it wont be achievable to have all electric vehicles....I just dont see it.

They probably said the same about the internal combustion engine one hundred and twenty years ago.

Yes its all opinion, i see it differently. Theres less than 10k fuel stations in the UK serving 33 million cars. From Sept 22 to Sept 23 the number of charging points increased 40% to a little under 50k, that number growing all the time. Vast number of people can charge at home and or work. A lot more people are capable to charge from home some cant. Im sure we’ll be fine…obs just my opinion
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 21st October 2023 at 14:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    They probably said the same about the internal combustion engine one hundred and twenty years ago.
    Yes can you imagine all the "my horse just stops at the side of the road and eats grass - none of this worry about petrol stations" conversations.

I think it is almost impossible to calculate... The vast majority of EVs will charge at home/work and so rarely need a charging station. But when they do, they need to occupy it for longer.

The one certainty with technology is that it will solve today's problems far faster than we all think and charging speeds will reduce massively as range also increases.

Blog Entries
    I am in Paris at the moment and I’m completely surprised to see só many electric vehicles (no Telsas btw). Most are Japanese. French cars are virtually obsolete and diesel? Only vans are still diesel powered.

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Is the bigger challenge not centred around the energy generation side of things?

Given renewables cannot be stored when in optimum generation mode and often power goes to waste as a result, will we ever be able to present enough power to the network all at once when everyone is drawing down for cars and other requirements in the future?

So many questions to answer, but I believe it does not mean we should not try.

I imagine we will be incentivised to use capacity when surplus and store store to release when needed.

Both these things happen today at macro and micro scale (smart meters/octopus, pumped hydro/domestic batteries).
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Fire Brigade fella on the news says it may have been a diesel, but they may just be saying that to divert from the real danger of driving an EV and how they can just randomly combust.

Took ages to put the fire out because of all the other EV’s exploding and the batteries burning for hours. They cannot be put out when on fire.
    What a bizarre post (or am I due a parrot?)

Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    Is the bigger challenge not centred around the energy generation side of things?

Given renewables cannot be stored when in optimum generation mode and often power goes to waste as a result, will we ever be able to present enough power to the network all at once when everyone is drawing down for cars and other requirements in the future?

So many questions to answer, but I believe it does not mean we should not try.
    That is what the proposed carbon capture power plants are meant to overcome.

Fire the peak load power plants and capture the carbon dioxide when the wind doesn’t blow. At least an interim solution until we bring on significantly more nuclear plants.

The best solution is peak load nuclear power plants, but don’t expect that for 20+ years, notwithstanding the public objections to this type of power generating option.

We really are in a bit of a pickle when the wind doesn’t blow and the sun doesn’t shine.

Not directly related to any EV but to charging. If anyones on octopus and charges at home, theres a great app called octo-aid. Once download you can add your MPAN number which pulls over whatever account you're on. For me its Agile, you can see all the usage data and lots more. I have however noticed a charge calculator. Input your battery capacity, state of charge and target charge level and its will go off and calculate the best and cheapest time to achieve the level of charge you require. I know some are on overnight tariffs but if you're on variable its a very handy tool.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    That is what the proposed carbon capture power plants are meant to overcome.

Fire the peak load power plants and capture the carbon dioxide when the wind doesn’t blow. At least an interim solution until we bring on significantly more nuclear plants.

The best solution is peak load nuclear power plants, but don’t expect that for 20+ years, notwithstanding the public objections to this type of power generating option.

We really are in a bit of a pickle when the wind doesn’t blow and the sun doesn’t shine.
    Are these even a thing? Surprised if can be simply switched on when needed.

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Are these even a thing? Surprised if can be simply switched on when needed.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_rod

Did you not watch the Chernobyl drama series?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_rod

Did you not watch the Chernobyl drama series?
    Okay and no.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    These idiots, and they are idiots, make this rubbish just for the hits.