closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car parking QR code scams

Car parking QR code scams

Scammers are actively placing QR code stickers over existing signage in car parks to direct drivers to false websites in order to steal their financial information.

Take care out there.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Seems so obvious - when you think about it ! (but not until then).

Scum of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post

Sigh, farewell good old money!

I'm generally a cash man so I just stick some money in the slot and get a ticket for the car.

This utopian cashless society is full of scams.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I'm generally a cash man so I just stick some money in the slot and get a ticket for the car.

Not always an option.

Not many cash meters left around here. Drives me mad.

Not where I live, car parks and train tickets

Luckily (?) I have about 10 different parking apps so will always go through those first.

I collected 4 of them on holiday in Dorset. Every car park we went to seemed to be operated by a different company.

Local initiative in Harrogate uses road mounted 'sensors' in the car park spaces on the roadside - there is an app. that detects these and you pay via the app with pre-entered card details. Works really well TBH, app can also be set for ANPR in the multi storey car park so you just drive in and drive out.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Local initiative in Harrogate uses road mounted 'sensors' in the car park spaces on the roadside - there is an app. that detects these and you pay via the app with pre-entered card details. Works really well TBH, app can also be set for ANPR in the multi storey car park so you just drive in and drive out.
    What if you haven´t got, don´t have a phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    What if you haven´t got, don´t have a phone?
    Pay at the machine as normal - cash even!.

Ah very good.

Parking and Hookers............... a good modus operandi

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Luckily (?) I have about 10 different parking apps so will always go through those first.

I collected 4 of them on holiday in Dorset. Every car park we went to seemed to be operated by a different company.
    Our local ones are 20% more than the cash alternative, annoying but convenient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't stand carrying cash...would much rather pay by card or an app. The only reason I bother even carrying a card holder these days is for my driving licence and because TFL don't have digital oyster cards.

We got caught out at a station car park by something similar, in a hurry, Mrs L started to type in the address on her phone, tapped on the first autofill address that came up and we ended up as members of a dodgy singles site. two payments of a couple of quid went out followed by a £45 quid one. Bank refunded everything instantly on a phone call as soon as we noticed, but we renewed the cards and just keep 1 week's pocket money in that account now.

I don't miss cash though, it's just a hassle these days.

Amen. Research shows swiping a card or phone can devalue the purchase in the mind of the consumer...even a coffee, the 'ease'' of the swipe, it separates the price/ value of the purchase in the users mind. I like the flexibility of cash and a card depending on circumstance. As the example of the scam demonstrates in certain environments and circumstances the tech/ the convenient option, leaves folk wide open/ too trusting, prey...no ta. Personally never felt inconvenienced or hassled by carrying a few bucks upon my person, pockets exist, after all.

I'm a simple guy, like simple things...still enjoy paying for two coffees and a couple of tostada's con tomate and getting change back from 5 euros...wouldn't ''feel'' as meaningful, gratifying with a swipe of a card.

Strippers and dollar bills, much the same.
    Last edited by Passenger; 19th March 2024 at 23:28.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    We got caught out at a station car park by something similar, in a hurry, Mrs L started to type in the address on her phone, tapped on the first autofill address that came up and we ended up as members of a dodgy singles site. two payments of a couple of quid went out followed by a £45 quid one. Bank refunded everything instantly on a phone call as soon as we noticed, but we renewed the cards and just keep 1 week's pocket money in that account now.

I don't miss cash though, it's just a hassle these days.
    For almost all day to day purchases I use a Revolut card which never has more that £200 on it … ring fences the main account.

Amen. Research shows swiping a card or phone can devalue the purchase in the mind of the consumer...even a coffee, the 'ease'' of the swipe, it separates the price/ value of the purchase in the users mind. I like the flexibility of cash and a card depending on circumstance. As the example of the scam demonstrates in certain environments and circumstances the tech/ the convenient option, leaves folk wide open/ too trusting, prey...no ta. Personally never felt inconvenienced or hassled by carrying a few bucks upon my person, pockets exist, after all.

I'm a simple guy, like simple things...still enjoy paying for two coffees and a couple of tostada's con tomate and getting change back from 5 euros...wouldn't ''feel'' as meaningful, gratifying with a swipe of a card.

Yup.

The lovely local cafe that me and the Mrs use is cash only too.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

As has always been with cash.

Fake notes/coins, cash machine fraud, jammed slot phone box scam (parking meters too?) etc.

Reading about the QR code scams the answer has to don't use them at all, always use the alternative method

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Reading about the QR code scams the answer has to don't use them at all, always use the alternative method
    Check if a QR code is outside the glass/plexiglass - if it is, treat as fake/scam

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    For almost all day to day purchases I use a Revolut card which never has more that £200 on it … ring fences the main account.
    Same here.

Master

I suspect that cash doesn’t go to the Spanish tax man either. Tax dodging is rife in a cash society. A cashless society is a better way of ensuring that everyone pays their way .

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    I suspect that cash doesn’t go to the Spanish tax man either. Tax dodging is rife in a cash society. A cashless society is a better way of ensuring that everyone pays their way .
    And yet the City of London is known as the Laundromat...the worlds dirty money capital sits spiderlike at the centre of a complex web of Crown dependency tax havens. Even old sausage fingers himself helpfully totes bags of cash around for his besties. Lolz. Tax dodging is at the top of the UK´s skillset... Sigh if only everyone paid their way, a fair whack according to their means- abilities...Not for nothing did the UK recently fall to a record low on the global corruption perceptions index.

fWIW the Spanish tax man certainly gets to lookover and make his claim on our ´´´books´´ as does HMRC and the US equivalent...humble plebs we are.
    Last edited by Passenger; 20th March 2024 at 16:22.

Master
    ...Not for nothing did the UK recently fall to a record low on the global corruption perceptions index.
    Other than you mentioning this from time to time, I’d never heard of this index before. Obviously you take corruption seriously; how do you square moving to Spain which is a demonstrably more corrupt country than the U.K (according to this index at least)? Genuine question

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I can't stand carrying cash...would much rather pay by card or an app. The only reason I bother even carrying a card holder these days is for my driving licence and because TFL don't have digital oyster cards.
    Why the aversion to carrying cash?........Genuine question, I really can`t understand it.

I use cards for payment but always carry a sufficient cash to cover day to day costs, sometimes cards get refused for no good reason and not having a back-up is embarrassing to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Other than you mentioning this from time to time, I’d never heard of this index before. Obviously you take corruption seriously; how do you square moving to Spain which is a demonstrably more corrupt country than the U.K (according to this index at least)? Genuine question
    Better quality of life, better weather, better healthcare, better maintained roads, better public transport system, better water quality, longer Life Expectancy, better wine, lower crime...somehow Spain offers all this despite being 'more corrupt' than the UK...go figure And as I said we needs must satisfy 3 countries on the tax front, so my conscience is very, very clear.

Sorry had to step out and take the young'un and his buddy Juan to Tae kwon do there, ...Better beaches, better dentists, just an all round better value proposition generally than Blighty nowadays to my way of thinking, sure it won't suit everyone.

I'm a simple guy, like simple things and dislike feeling ripped off...and try and bear in mind I was responding to member Stilgoe in relation to the point he felt it important to make about cashless societies being more likely to be tax dodgy...sure to a point that's true but I was trying to illustrate with my response by mentioning the laundromat, those offshore tax havens GB;s declining rep, sausage fingers, that for those at the top of the UK, UK for the rich/ connected offers ways not to pay their way as well as being a different proposition to that facing the average man/ woman on the street, who if he's not on 40, 50, 60k , 70k or more is seeing the fabric of society/ the social safety net/ societal goods going down while the cost of living, rent, mortgage, dentistry, taxes etc going up. Not to say we don't have inflation here, or social elites of course, but the sting, like the rip off factor, for the average joe imho, and certainly as I'm conscious of it, is less.

Hope that helps Peck, feel free to ask me any follow ups.
    Apologies for going off topic.
    Last edited by Passenger; 20th March 2024 at 17:38.

Master
    Better quality of life, better weather, better healthcare, better maintained roads, better public transport system, better water quality, longer Life Expectancy, better wine, lower crime...somehow Spain offers all this despite being 'more corrupt' than the UK...go figure And as I said we needs must satisfy 3 countries on the tax front, so my conscience is very, very clear.

Sorry had to step out and take the young'un and his buddy Juan to Tae kwon do there, ...Better beaches, better dentists, just an all round better value proposition generally than Blighty nowadays to my way of thinking, sure it won't suit everyone.

I'm a simple guy, like simple things and dislike feeling ripped off...and try and bear in mind I was responding to member Stilgoe in relation to the point he felt it important to make about cashless societies being more likely to be tax dodgy...sure to a point that's true but I was trying to illustrate with my response by mentioning the laundromat, those offshore tax havens GB;s declining rep, sausage fingers, that for those at the top of the UK, UK for the rich/ connected is rather a different proposition to that facing the average man/ woman on the street, who if he's not on 40, 50, 60k , 70k or more is seeing the fabric of society going down while the cost of living, housing, mortgage, dentistry, taxes etc going up. Not to say we don't have inflation here, or social elites of course, but the sting, like the rip off factor, for the average joe imho is less.

Hope that helps Peck, feel free to ask me any follow ups.
    No, doesn’t really help in the slightest to be honest. I wasn’t asking about your wonderful quality of life in Spain. I was asking about this corruption index. But as you were, no further questions 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    No, doesn’t really help in the slightest to be honest. I wasn’t asking about your wonderful quality of life in Spain. I was asking about this corruption index. But as you were, no further questions 
    I thought you asked me how I squared the circle and I tried to give you my considered reply.

Here's a link, more on the index,

https://www.transparency.org.uk/conc...ceptions-index
    Daniel Bruce, Chief Executive, Transparency International UK said:

“Despite repeated warnings, the UK’s score continues to fall. Britain has slid from just outside the top ten countries to barely clinging onto the top twenty in just two years.

“With the most significant drop in Western Europe we remain an unfortunate outlier, falling behind our peers – a powerful indictment of the recent decline in standards in government that have dominated the headlines in recent years.”

You're most welcome.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Why the aversion to carrying cash?........Genuine question, I really can`t understand it.

I use cards for payment but always carry a sufficient cash to cover day to day costs, sometimes cards get refused for no good reason and not having a back-up is embarrassing to say the least.
    If everything cost £5 / 10 etc, then no aversion. Despise coins in my pockets, even my car key is just that, no house key attached.

My only cash transactions are my local kebab van, or tips for service when dining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And yet despite the amazing weather and lifestyle and everything better in every possible respect, Spain still sits well behind the UK across the board in the 2024 World Happiness Report. I guess it's bloody amazing for privileged expats but not so great for the locals.

https://happiness-report.s3.amazonaw...024/WHR+24.pdf
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    And yet despite the amazing weather and lifestyle and everything better in every possible respect, Spain still sits well behind the UK across the board in the 2024 World Happiness Report. I guess it's bloody amazing for privileged expats but not so great for the locals.

https://happiness-report.s3.amazonaw...024/WHR+24.pdf
    Yet male suicide levels in Blighty at 16.4 per 100k is nearly twice Spain's at 8.4 per 100k, so bloody amazing life in GB huh.

Again apologies for the thread drift folks but curta sought to, had to try and score some kind of point. He seeks to do this every so often off the back of my posts. Be happy fella, enjoy your own life, let others enjoy theirs.
    Last edited by Passenger; 20th March 2024 at 22:24.

Question

Yet male suicide levels in Blighty at 16.4 per 100k is nearly twice Spain's at 8.4 per 100k, so bloody amazing life in GB huh.
    You've quoted the 2022 male suicide figure for the UK and the 2021 overall suicide figure for Spain. That's not a fair comparison.

Someone's lifestyle choice is no better or worse than anybody else's if it works for them. The UK isn't my favourite spot on the planet but we choose to live here at the moment so that our parents can spend quality time with their grandchildren whilst they still can. Having said that, in spite of some very negative events in recent years it is still a bloody amazing place to live in many respects, something that you appear to resent and disparage. I've immensely enjoyed everywhere that we've lived including the 'less easy' places like Nigeria and Colombia because it's about what you make of it, not the ephemeral stuff. When the time comes we'll head off again but for us it certainly won't be to Spain, there's a big old world out there to explore.

FWIW I always have about twenty quid folded in the Trove for emergencies, donations and tipping but nearly always use a card or app to pay for stuff.

You've quoted the 2022 male suicide figure for the UK and the 2021 overall suicide figure for Spain. That's not a fair comparison.

Someone's lifestyle choice is no better or worse than anybody else's if it works for them. The UK isn't my favourite spot on the planet but we choose to live here at the moment so that our parents can spend quality time with their grandchildren whilst they still can. Having said that, in spite of some very negative events in recent years it is still a bloody amazing place to live in many respects, something that you appear to resent and disparage. I've immensely enjoyed everywhere that we've lived including the 'less easy' places like Nigeria and Colombia because it's about what you make of it, not the ephemeral stuff. When the time comes we'll head off again but for us it certainly won't be to Spain, there's a big old world out there to explore.

FWIW I always have about twenty quid folded in the Trove for emergencies, donations and tipping but nearly always use a card or app to pay for stuff.
    Then make, find what you believe is a fair comparison, the numbers for Spain suggested 6 per 100k including women iirc and 8.4 for men...and possibly the latest UK figure for men might be 15 per 100k, still a significant difference, nevertheless casting rather a long shadow upon the value of that 'Happiness'' research.

I've not mentioned anyone else's lifestyle, don't give a toss how/ where anyone else including you choose to live...I just responded with my honest views and thoughts to what 2 other posters wrote, one on the subject of corruption, lets be clear GB's very, very far from squeaky clean and getting less so and t'other on how I personally square the circle, manage to cope with the apparent corruption in Spain.

BTW Aren;t you a Buddhist type, or is it an affectation, I thought you blokes were tolerant, non judgemental kinda zen???...you seem to have some pretty strong views about me, which seems a bit odd/ out of character if I may say.
    Last edited by Passenger; 21st March 2024 at 00:16.

Master
    And yet the City of London is known as the Laundromat...the worlds dirty money capital sits spiderlike at the centre of a complex web of Crown dependency tax havens. Even old sausage fingers himself helpfully totes bags of cash around for his besties. Lolz. Tax dodging is at the top of the UK´s skillset... Sigh if only everyone paid their way, a fair whack according to their means- abilities...Not for nothing did the UK recently fall to a record low on the global corruption perceptions index.

fWIW the Spanish tax man certainly gets to lookover and make his claim on our ´´´books´´ as does HMRC and the US equivalent...humble plebs we are.
    Do you really believe that Spain is any cleaner than the UK when it comes to tax dodgers ? Come on, get real. Take off those rose tinted Spanish sunglasses and look around you. Neither the UK or Spain are bad places to live. In fact we are very lucky but to talk like Spains Poop doesn’t stink as continuously as you do is pretty laughable.

BTW Aren;t you a Buddhist type, or is it an affectation, I thought you blokes were tolerant, non judgemental kinda zen???...you seem to have some pretty strong views about me, which seems a bit odd/ out of character if I may say.
    I think that's a bit of a cheap shot. I find your persistent anti-UK rhetoric to be a bit OTT and unfair sometimes. I’m free to comment on things like that, it’s how forums work and not against any precepts.

Do you really believe that Spain is any cleaner than the UK when it comes to tax dodgers ? Come on, get real. Take off those rose tinted Spanish sunglasses and look around you. Neither the UK or Spain are bad places to live. In fact we are very lucky but to talk like Spains Poop doesn’t stink as continuously as you do is pretty laughable.
    No more laughable than the cautionary tale Britain has become, GSTK! At least the rivers/ sea here aren't full of poop...though I personally steer well clear of the Mar Menor, Le Manga, too busy and the bloody water gets too warm fwiw.

It's good to laugh, healthy. Do you really believe GB is ''not remotely corrupt!'', gets me every time that one, the delicious irony of the lying criminal clown show delivering the line...beautiful.
    Last edited by Passenger; 21st March 2024 at 07:39.

I think that's a bit of a cheap shot. I find your persistent anti-UK rhetoric to be a bit OTT and unfair sometimes. I’m free to comment on things like that, it’s how forums work and not against any precepts.
    pffft hark at cheap shot curta...''and the Spanish mechanic'll let you have a go on his missus while he fixes your car''...or words to that effect wasn't it. please do carry on, are we not all free to comment. it's good to laugh.

Master

Car parking QR code scams

No more laughable than the cautionary tale Britain has become, GSTK! At least the rivers/ sea here aren't full of poop...though I personally steer well clear of the Mar Menor, Le Manga, too busy and the bloody water gets too warm fwiw.

It's good to laugh, healthy. Do you really believe GB is ''not remotely corrupt!'', gets me every time that one, the delicious irony of the lying criminal clown show delivering the line...beautiful.
    Basket case. . . . Enjoy your day in perfect land :)

pffft hark at cheap shot curta...''and the Spanish mechanic'll let you have a go on his missus while he fixes your car''...or words to that effect wasn't it. please do carry on, are we not all free to comment. it's good to laugh.
    It was worded much better than that, and was an exaggeration of your polarised style for comedic effect. I thought that it was quite a good gag, it seemed to go down well and I'm sorry that you didn't get the joke.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post6332706

Perhaps you should re-read some of what you write before posting to consider how it might come across to others.

Perhaps you should re-read some of what you write before posting to consider how it might come across to others.
    Never going to happen - it's like the Poets sketch off Blackadder!.

Never going to happen - it's like the Poets sketch off Blackadder!.
    Ah the curta chris comedy duo back together again...good stuff, didn't whine or cry ''ganghut''* then, won't whine now.

An esparto basket for certain, bloody stuff gets everywhere. Have a great day.

*A Mickism...kinda miss the old bugger.

Master
    Yeah right !!! What about the elite?

In Spain there is a €1000 cash limit, so much more difficult to do cash deals and avoid tax
    Last edited by adrianw; 22nd March 2024 at 12:30.

In a Spain there is a €1000 cash limit, so much more difficult to do cash deals and avoid tax
    Sigh, steady... but it´s true. Also long gone are the black money property transactions... from experience our first back in the distant 90´s at one stage the Notary politely excused himself for a fag, that was the signal to hand over the ´envelope´, well when in Rome...they´re sooo much tighter now, it´s an enormous liability for the purchaser, actually was quite a challenge to persuade the old chap selling us our present home that I just couldn´t give him a few tens of thousands under the table, took some finessing in the finish we had to pay somewhat more than our originally negotiated price to eventually get him to scratch.

Interestingly to get the cash out here to complete, funds we´d banked from a property sale some 7 or 8 years earlier, I had to have my lawyer from that transaction produce a letter verifying the money was from the proceeds of a house sale...Not like old sausage fingers and millions from who knows what, in a Harrods bag just swanning about with it internationally. One assumes the source of all the Ruski donations to HMG are likewise verified
    Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
    Last edited by Passenger; 22nd March 2024 at 12:47.

Sigh, steady... but it´s true. Also long gone are the black money property transactions... from experience our first back in the distant 90´s at one stage the Notary politely excused himself for a fag, that was the signal to hand over the ´envelope´, well when in Rome...they´re sooo much tighter now, it´s an enormous liability for the purchaser, actually was quite a challenge to persuade the old chap selling us our present home that I just couldn´t give him a few tens of thousands under the table, took some finessing in the finish we had to pay somewhat more than our originally negotiated price to eventually get him to scratch.

Interestingly to get the cash out here to complete, funds we´d banked from a property sale some 7 or 8 years earlier, I had to have my lawyer from that transaction produce a letter verifying the money was from the proceeds of a house sale...Not like old sausage fingers and millions from who knows what, in a Harrods bag just swanning about with it internationally. One assumes the source of all the Ruski donations to HMG are likewise verified
    Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
    I'm here at the moment, my last place was bought with a fair lump of cash, my Niece owns a property administration company, she says it's impossible to do a cash deal now, even the bank repossessions are scrutinised

Here any Black economy or trouble seems to have been taken over by the Ukrainians
    Last edited by adrianw; 22nd March 2024 at 13:03.

I'm here at the moment, my last place was bought with a fair lump of cash, my Niece owns a property administration company, she says it's impossible to do a cash deal now, even the bank repossessions are scrutinised

Here any Black economy or trouble seems to have been taken over by the Ukrainians
    Hope you enjoy, have a good time...weather here was a bit moody, overcast first thing but it´s turning sunny now, think I´ll nip out for a jog.

Interesting about the Ukrainians...it´s generally quiet in my vicinity, I couldn´t really hazard a guess who is being naughty.
    Last edited by Passenger; 22nd March 2024 at 13:11.