closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 74 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,700 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Fun?

It’s an appliance Ryan, no more, no less…
    People think a number plate is fun...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Fun?

It’s an appliance Ryan, no more, no less…
    As are most cars, a diesel a6, 5 series or x5 or whatever is no more exciting or engaging (in my experience they are less so ) than the equivalent ev.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Hi Dave,

Hydrogen and Ammonia will be a better alternative

https://youtu.be/Pcm4fCDQ4dY?si=lcPGX6N-ahGKI2J2

https://youtu.be/QDT-cnNjexA?si=wgyanKDux_7GRf8D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s heartening to see the breadth of your expertise from car sales to advanced chemistry and infrastructure build out

Bravo

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    It’s heartening to see the breadth of your expertise from car sales to advanced chemistry and infrastructure build out

Bravo
    You’re welcome.

If you want to discuss more over a pint, let me know!
    Last edited by Kippax; 8th November 2023 at 20:35.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Whilst personally I’m quite excited by the potential applications for ammonia cracked hydrogen, especially once we have an excess of zero carbon electricity, it seems unnecessarily complicated for use in a humble road car.

But there’s the infrastructure required to get it to millions of cars, which of course is a familiar argument common to this thread.

But hey, if they become viable and take off, then I might buy one. Others will no doubt still be waiting for the ‘next big thing’ though and contributing to the “Hydrogen cars - got to be a viable option now?” thread…

Something that hasn’t been mentioned much is the mindset of the next generation of the motoring public.

Older folks, like the demographic on this forum, are mostly pro fossil fuels, it’s all they’ve known. Whilst I drive mostly electric now, except for the camper and some work vehicles, I’ve done 100s of thousands of diesel/petrol miles, and caused my damage.

My 10 year old daughter is far more accepting of electricity powering a car, one of the cars she first named was a Tesla, presumably from watching YouTube videos. I fully expect that should she learn to drive and get a car it will be powered by electricity.

There’s millions like her, and over the next decade or so many of them will be transitioning to driving and car ownership. I think the chances are that those cars will be electric rather than hydrogen, but as none of us have a time machine I guess we’ll have to wait and see.
    I'm with you on this. The manufacturers are currently designing cars for a generation that have grown up with iPads, computerisation of every appliance etc so ICE probably doesn't seem so appealing being "old" and "polluting"

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Whilst personally I’m quite excited by the potential applications for ammonia cracked hydrogen, especially once we have an excess of zero carbon electricity, it seems unnecessarily complicated for use in a humble road car.

But there’s the infrastructure required to get it to millions of cars, which of course is a familiar argument common to this thread.

But hey, if they become viable and take off, then I might buy one. Others will no doubt still be waiting for the ‘next big thing’ though and contributing to the “Hydrogen cars - got to be a viable option now?” thread…
    Not commenting on the merits of ammonia, merely correcting yet another false claim from the EV brigade.

Crack on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not commenting on the merits of ammonia, merely correcting yet another false claim from the EV brigade.

Crack on.
    Where would be without the expertise in emerging and unproven technologies from the anti ev brigade.

The ev brigade as you call is have all driven and owned ice cars so the only brigade are the people who only have experience of one side of the debate .

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Where would be without the expertise in emerging and unproven technologies from the anti ev brigade.

The ev brigade as you call is have all driven and owned ice cars so the only brigade are the people who only have experience of one side of the debate .
    I’ve experienced both sides.

So yet again, you’re incorrect.

Not sure why you bothered with your initial advice on losses Wes, there's too many on here who would argue with a growing tree...

I'm hoping the prices ring true for next year when my lease deal runs out, I may try a cheap second hand model, certainly would never be in a position to buy new...

There’s no need to take sides, it’s merely a discussion on the merits of EVs. As mentioned above, there’s no need for animosity.

I’d still be interested to know what the £60k car was though Wes?

I guess the youth will be happy with ammonia as a fuel, a by product of combustion is NOx, it will be interesting watching the youth chasing after cars with a pack of balloons!
    Last edited by Dave+63; 8th November 2023 at 22:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Not sure why you bothered with your initial advice on losses Wes, there's too many on here who would argue with a growing tree...

I'm hoping the prices ring true for next year when my lease deal runs out, I may try a cheap second hand model, certainly would never be in a position to buy new...
    What that EVs aren't viable because of depreciation?

Jesus, we all frequent a watch forum where most of us spaff thousands on watches that are valued 50% less several years later, does that make them any less viable at telling the time? I guess were all wearing £5.00 garage watches?

Master

You seem to think that was aimed at you, it wasn’t, it was a general comment.

Not sure what the yet again is about, I haven’t said anything incorrect just disagreed with some of your hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Thought the ST had an artificial piped engine sound in the cabin?
    There’s an element of that for sure - but under the right circumstances the exhaust pops and crackles (which isn’t augmented), and the three pot engine thrums in a very pleasing way. I’m not pretending it’s the most cutting edge, powerful car - but it is fun to drive and makes a pleasing sound whilst it goes about it. The sound in the cabin may well be augmented, but it’s certainly not fake,
    It is a petrol car after all!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    I'm with you on this. The manufacturers are currently designing cars for a generation that have grown up with iPads, computerisation of every appliance etc so ICE probably doesn't seem so appealing being "old" and "polluting"

The children of today are more likely to be brainwashed that they don't need a car at all, and that legs or a bicycle will be perfect for getting round their 15 minute city, with everything in easy reach of their 20 square metre studio cell apartment :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    The children of today are more likely to be brainwashed that they don't need a car at all, and that legs or a bicycle will be perfect for getting round their 15 minute city, with everything in easy reach of their 20 square metre studio cell apartment :-)
    Possibly, two of my London based nieces have zero intention of learning to drive and going to the trouble and expense of running a car.

That’s what Ubers are for isn’t it!

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    The children of today are more likely to be brainwashed that they don't need a car at all, and that legs....
    Legs ?? Kids of today ?? They ALL gave them up for a Chelsea Tractor......years ago 😂😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Legs ?? Kids of today ?? They ALL gave them up for a Chelsea Tractor......years ago 😂😂
    True! 😂😂

Lo and behold, just had a deal on a Hyundai Ioniq 5 sent through which is the first time I’ve seen one of these with a 2 year deal and 10,000 miles a year offer for less than £500 a month.

Take another £100 off per month and I’d snap that up next year.

Last edited by Martylaa; 9th November 2023 at 21:57.

Craftsman
    Possibly, two of my London based nieces have zero intention of learning to drive and going to the trouble and expense of running a car.

Ha - that ... or parents LOL

I live in London and I'm seriously considering going car free and I LOVE cars. I can (and do) walk or cycle to pretty well any daily destination - shops, doctor, dentist, pubs, restaurants, cinema, sports club, even hospitals all in easy reach. Plus of course public transport is excellent for anywhere slightly further afield but still in London. There are a few requirements that can't be sensibly met by anything but a car, but a car club short hire covers probably 60-70% of those needs. It only leaves maybe a dozen days a year when my own car would be preferable.

And they are spot on. Typically running a car at £5k pa means you could spend £100pw on Ubers, every week and not be worse off.

Not for families, but perfect for singletons and retirees.

Lo and behold, just had a deal on a Hyundai Ioniq 5 sent through which is the first time I’ve seen one of these with a 2 year deal and 10,000 miles a year offer for less than £500 a month.

Take another £100 off per month and I’d snap that up next year.

Tyre kicker 😂

Errr ok..

So firefighters put out a car fire, do you have a point?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    So firefighters put out a car fire, do you have a point?
    Not really Dave just showing it if that's ok with you ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Yes, just wondering whether it was to show EVs can catch fire or that firefighters can put them out, which goes against the haters general consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Yes, just wondering whether it was to show EVs can catch fire or that firefighters can put them out, which goes against the haters general consensus.
    Thanks Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    It’s usually better to keep it zipped up.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Should we post videos of cars on fire here now ?

Seems odd

Some cracking lease deals on the BMW ix3 currently

Errr ok..

Sorry, stupid joke. Apologies

Blog Entries
    The EV market in the Netherlands has collapsed. Totally. Some brands sell 10% of what they sold in last year. The reasons?

* Electric vehicles are getting cheaper and cheaper. Tesla lowered its prices. The Model Y was 65K euros a year ago, now 42K. New cars are cheaper than second hand cars that are in the showroom waiting for a new customer.
    * 'Deflation': customers wait. Big chance that the next price cut is around the corner
    * Government rules: electric cars are tax extempt at the moment, but no longer in 2025 (1/4 of the regular tax) and from '26, electric cars are taxed for the full 100% That's about 150 euros/month for a Model Y.
    * Energy prices are insane here. Our electricity price per kWh is the highest in Europe. All tax.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    The EV market in the Netherlands has collapsed. Totally. Some brands sell 10% of what they sold in last year. The reasons?

* Electric vehicles are getting cheaper and cheaper. Tesla lowered its prices. The Model Y was 65K euros a year ago, now 42K. New cars are cheaper than second hand cars that are in the showroom waiting for a new customer.
    * 'Deflation': customers wait. Big chance that the next price cut is around the corner
    * Government rules: electric cars are tax extempt at the moment, but no longer in 2025 (1/4 of the regular tax) and from '26, electric cars are taxed for the full 100% That's about 150 euros/month for a Model Y.
    * Energy prices are insane here. Our electricity price per kWh is the highest in Europe. All tax.
    What is the price per KWH menno?

Master
    Will be interesting when the government decides it wants an increase in revenue and moves EVs off from the road fund changes in 2025 to fill their pockets more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Will be interesting when the government decides it wants an increase in revenue and moves EVs off from the road fund changes in 2025 to fill their pockets more.
    The retrospective application of VED to EVs, even those already registered, is a bit of a pathfinder and opens the door to retrospective VED changes for all cars.

I’ve no doubt that Governments will want more revenue from vehicle ownership and use, I expect they’ll be looking closely at it all.

Depends what kind of government we get next though I guess, and whether they’re serious about reducing our dependence on fossil fuels.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

As of August 23, EV sales looked very healthy?

https://insideevs.com/news/687686/ne...es-august2023/

Are you sure it’s not just a return to steady growth rather than the peaks of early adoption? There are many more EVs available from more manufacturers, it’s inevitable that some manufacturers with less favourable offerings might have seen big reductions in what they’re selling.

Seems the Model Y marches on though.

Master

Regards polluting, I think the jury is still out. Manufacturing and power generation aren't non polluting. Plus the iPad generation has increased consumption which in turn increases pollution...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Regards polluting, I think the jury is still out. Manufacturing and power generation aren't non polluting. Plus the iPad generation has increased consumption which in turn increases pollution...
    It's a very complex issue and potentially we're creating cleaner air in cities using EV's but moving some of that elsewhere. Moving towards greener energy creation will help but I also think the culture of conspicuous consumption needs to change for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Our energy consumptions has reduced dramatically over the years, due to, in part the increase of solar generation, batteries for home use, LED bulbs and a whole host of lower energy consumption appliances.
    Think it’s a bit unfair to blame the iPad generation when let’s face it - it’s been forced upon them by our generation!
    If I was a teenager now I would without doubt have a whole host of gadgets like most of us here probably would and more than likely already do.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Our energy consumptions has reduced dramatically over the years, due to, in part the increase of solar generation, batteries for home use, LED bulbs and a whole host of lower energy consumption appliances.
    Think it’s a bit unfair to blame the iPad generation when let’s face it - it’s been forced upon them by our generation!
    If I was a teenager now I would without doubt have a whole host of gadgets like most of us here probably would and more than likely already do.
    Having just spent a few days in Mumbai, the world is not even scratching the surface.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    It's a very complex issue and potentially we're creating cleaner air in cities using EV's but moving some of that elsewhere. Moving towards greener energy creation will help but I also think the culture of conspicuous consumption needs to change for everyone

The nature of inconspicuous consumption needs to change as well, eg even an old car is literally consuming large amounts of fuel the burning of which quickly surpasses the carbon footprint of any alternative fuel car.

The bottom line is that the planet can’t support the number of people on it, especially the way that a relatively small proportion of it (that’s you and me and the millions like us) consume its resources.

The nature of inconspicuous consumption needs to change as well, eg even an old car is literally consuming large amounts of fuel the burning of which quickly surpasses the carbon footprint of any alternative fuel car.

The bottom line is that the planet can’t support the number of people on it, especially the way that a relatively small proportion of it (that’s you and me and the millions like us) consume its resources.
    Aye if we won't take care of mother nature she'll eventually take care of us.
    Last edited by Passenger; 14th November 2023 at 12:50.

Grand Master

Very true, overpopulation and increasing aspirations are the root causes of global warming. Moving towards 'greener' solutions will slow the process but can`t stop it.

Will I give up my 13 yr old Jag Diesel and buy an electric car?...........NO!

Do I really care about the CO2 problems and global warming?......Not really, other than making a token gesture my efforts will amount to zero so I`ll just crack on like I`ve done for the past 65 years. When the predicted adverse changes to climate start to have a significant effect I`ll probably have departed this earth so it won't concern me. I prefer to be realistic rather than philosophical.

Frankly I`m more concerned about one-use plastic and the amount of waste we tip to landfill, that's something we could tackle but are reluctant (as a country) to do so. Look at all the plastic crappy toys bought for kids, all made in China and all destined for a hole in the ground somewhere near YOU.

Local air quality is something we can address, not to be confused with the CO2 emissions issues, but draconian measures such as ULEZ isn`t the way to do it. Natural wastage of older cars would get us there with no pain involved for the minority (like me) who continue to own and run an older vehicle. Most of the cars and vans that do big mileage are newer ones , the problem will solve itself, but this fact seems to get overlooked.

Is it me that's being cynical, or is there an element of virtue signalling in electric car ownership?.....surely not! Is the ULEZ thing being used for revenue generation together with providing the start of a road-charging policy?.......never!

Silly cynical old me, best stick to fixing watches.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 14th November 2023 at 13:00.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Having just spent a few days in Mumbai, the world is not even scratching the surface.
    I think you’ve just hit the nail on the head with that !! It’s ok looking at global warming and going green from a UK perspective but when you look at the Indian sub continent, China and Africa you see a different vision of the future, I’ve been going to Africa since the early 70s and see what was fertile land become barren as the temperatures rise and what little rain they have disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Very true, overpopulation and increasing aspirations are the root causes of global warming. Moving towards 'greener' solutions will slow the process but can`t stop it.

Will I give up my 13 yr old Jag Diesel and buy an electric car?...........NO!

Do I really care about the CO2 problems and global warming?......Not really, other than making a token gesture my efforts will amount to zero so I`ll just crack on like I`ve done for the past 65 years. When the predicted adverse changes to climate start to have a significant effect I`ll probably have departed this earth so it won't concern me. I prefer to be realistic rather than philosophical.

Frankly I`m more concerned about one-use plastic and the amount of waste we tip to landfill, that's something we could tackle but are reluctant (as a country) to do so. Look at all the plastic crappy toys bought for kids, all made in China and all destined for a hole in the ground somewhere near YOU.

Local air quality is something we can address, not to be confused with the CO2 emissions issues, but draconian measures such as ULEZ isn`t the way to do it. Natural wastage of older cars would get us there with no pain involved for the minority (like me) who continue to own and run an older vehicle. Most of the cars and vans that do big mileage are newer ones , the problem will solve itself, but this fact seems to get overlooked.

Is it me that's being cynical, or is there an element of virtue signalling in electric car ownership?.....surely not! Is the ULEZ thing being used for revenue generation together with providing the start of a road-charging policy?.......never!

Silly cynical old me, best stick to fixing watches.
    The adverse, significant changes are affecting people now it´s just luck of location means that you are not seeing, living with them daily. Just an observation really.

Listening to the weather on the radio during the school run this morning, temp to reach mid 20´d here today...I´m sat in shorts at present up by the pool, it´s 23 c in the shade!...it´s not normal for mid November, not even here in southern Spain. See also Chris´s comment on Mumbai, aa388´s experience of Africa.

Fwiw I think our goose is cooked. No angst mind, there´d be no point, our human nature is what it it. Enjoy each day.
    Last edited by Passenger; 14th November 2023 at 13:30.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Some cracking lease deals on the BMW ix3 currently
    any links please?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    The adverse, significant changes are affecting people now it´s just luck of location means that you are not seeing, living with them daily. Just an observation really.

Listening to the weather on the radio during the school run this morning, temp to reach mid 20´d here today...I´m sat in shorts at present up by the pool, it´s 23 c in the shade!...it´s not normal for mid November, not even here in southern Spain. See also Chris´s comment on Mumbai, aa388´s experience of Africa.

Fwiw I think our goose is cooked. No angst mind, there´d be no point, our human nature is what it it. Enjoy each day.
    I was in Benalmadena the week before last, apart from one wet evening the weather was dry and fine, approx 23° every day and mostly sunny, I was pleasantly surprised because I expected it to be cooler.

I`ll be 66 in January, still enjoying life to the full whilst my health holds up, nothing I do will affect the climate crisis so I don`t worry about it. I`d love to know what the earth will look like in 200 years time, if I`m lucky I`ll find out what it looks like in 20 years time.

I`ll leave the virtue signalling to the beardy-weardy bean eaters, life's like the last 300 metres of a 1500 metre race.......go as hard as you can for as long as you can.

Master
    I was in Benalmadena the week before last, apart from one wet evening the weather was dry and fine, approx 23° every day and mostly sunny, I was pleasantly surprised because I expected it to be cooler.

I`ll be 66 in January, still enjoying life to the full whilst my health holds up, nothing I do will affect the climate crisis so I don`t worry about it. I`d love to know what the earth will look like in 200 years time, if I`m lucky I`ll find out what it looks like in 20 years time.

I`ll leave the virtue signalling to the beardy-weardy bean eaters, life's like the last 300 metres of a 1500 metre race.......go as hard as you can for as long as you can.
    It’s probably a good job that we don’t all feel like this.

People over 65 make up 10% (and growing) of the world's population so I think what you (or rather your cohort) do could make quite a big difference.