closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 98 of 99 FirstFirst ... 488896979899 LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,900 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    Cyclists on the pavement yes they are a menace

If on the road and I step out on them then I am the one at fault.

You could count on on finger the number of mobility scooters that I have been close to this year I recon so don’t think about them at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But you don’t think you’re at fault if you step out in front of an EV in a car park?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not trolling, just questioning experts with 'real-life' experience.

Less harmful maybe, hardly beneficial.
    I wonder about the impact on the roads, not just EV's though obvs they're pretty heavy, e.g. Polestar at 2.5 tons, but also the trend, maybe arms race'd be more accurate for the big fat look at my RR or Igneos vehicle...the UK seems to have quite the unresolvable pothole problem in '24 what will it be like in a decade? As the state of the roads decline will the race heat up, even larger, heavier vehicles capable of bashing over the craters!

From ´´real life experience´´, though I claim no expertise, a week or so ago, in a rented Dacia Sandero on Lincolnshire roads... There were more than a couple of occasions where I was nervous the vehicle if it fell in some of the holes, we might not get out again...and then the possibility of incurring damage to the car, thus my wallet! GRRRR.

I fondly remember the Master with Lee Van Cleef.
    Last edited by Passenger; 17th March 2024 at 08:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I wonder about the impact on the roads, not just EV's though obvs they're pretty heavy, e.g. Polestar at 2.5 tons, but also the trend, maybe arms race'd be more accurate for the big fat look at my RR or Igneos vehicle...the UK seems to have quite the unresolvable pothole problem in '24 what will it be like in a decade? As the state of the roads decline will the race heat up, even larger, heavier vehicles capable of bashing over the craters!

From ´´real life experience´´, though I claim no expertise, a week or so ago, in a rented Dacia Sandero on Lincolnshire roads... There were more than a couple of occasions where I was nervous the vehicle if it fell in some of the holes, we might not get out again...and then the possibility of incurring damage to the car, thus my wallet! GRRRR.

Good point!

Road wear is proportional to the 4th power of axle weight so 20% heavier means double the wear.

Good point!

Road wear is proportional to the 4th power of axle weight so 20% heavier means double the wear.
    I'd say the answer would be that the government needs to apportion more money into council budgets and then councils need to actually spend that money on roads. Between VED, fuel duty and traffic enforcement fines, they sure have enough out of motorists to fund it. Where I live they just leave the potholes to become massive craters and when addressed, many are badly filled and just reappear the following year. Saying this as both a driver and cyclist. Some stretches of my local roads are so bad they'd have me off my bike if I went into a pothole.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    But you don’t think you’re at fault if you step out in front of an EV in a car park?
    Not really it depends ion the situation

A bike is not meant for the pavement and should not be there or at the least cycle with care if because of some fairy food reason they just have to.

If crossing the road I should just be more careful and look better

A car park is more of a shared space often without designated footpaths. You have to be aware of your surroundings families with kids are often in car parks so in these situations I put a lot or responsibility on myself if I am driving.or whoever is. As the more vulnerable user I would expect the car to be driven with this in mind and at an appropriate speed often 10 sometimes as low as 5 mph. It’s the same when I pass bikes horses or whatever. Cars which make little noise are not yet commonplace so do need to be used with that in mind….just my opinion misguided or otherwise

As an further point it was said in jest as the pollution comment was misinterpreted by some

Master
    A lot of fuss is made about the state of UK roads, but aside from a few countries I don’t find them much worse than elsewhere. Some of the worst roads I have seen are in the US, the I-95 freeway south of New York I recall being particularly bad when driving over there with potholes that would swallow a typical European car whole!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'd say the answer would be that the government needs to apportion more money into council budgets and then councils need to actually spend that money on roads. Between VED, fuel duty and traffic enforcement fines, they sure have enough out of motorists to fund it. Where I live they just leave the potholes to become massive craters and when addressed, many are badly filled and just reappear the following year. Saying this as both a driver and cyclist. Some stretches of my local roads are so bad they'd have me off my bike if I went into a pothole.
    Can´t recall which county but I was appalled by the news story of the keen road cyclist whose front wheel went into a road crevice, jammed and he shot off his bike at speed, broke his neck instantly on landing...horrific, apparently there´d been stacks of complaints to the council about how dangerous it was...

Aren´t a fair number of councils bust or well on their way to being so...central command seems from what I´ve read to be urging them to cut back still further...not being political simply realistic- financial...
    Last edited by Passenger; 17th March 2024 at 10:49.

Craftsman

I doubt it makes much difference we just have more cars on the road than 20 years ago tradies vans at 3.5 tonne 6 or 8 wheelers at 26 or 32 along with artics at 44 tonne most likely do more damage.

Just round from me seems to have become an overnight stop for trucks and the road is often bad at at 5:20 driving to work it’s still dark and you could hear me in London if I hit one.

Council budgets are stretched so local roads in more rural areas are very bad city councils a bit better but with the decline of the high street rents they must also be feeling it. Even the main roads here maintained by bear I think are getting a bit old needing some remedial work I think

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

You (and most others of course) have ignored Foxmod's other point.

For the half of UK who don't have access to a home charger, range is largely irrelevant - they are just not an economical proposition.
    Not true in all cases I don’t believe - I don’t have a home charger and have covered 10k miles in 5 months in my Tesla. Cost per mile is currently netting out slightly less than my previous diesel Audi Avant.

There are plenty of ways to get free energy (council car parks, pubs, hotels, even 15 mins in Tesco!) albeit very slow, and the Tesla network is working out at around £0.085 per mile, and that’s winter range. I expect that to drop to £0.075 ppm in summer.

It’s not inconvenient like many make out and it isn’t more expensive in all cases, although I would say that not all EV solutions are equal. What I would say, if you’ve not lived the situation you probably aren’t best placed to really know the ins and outs, and there’s a lot of nonsense on the internet. An extended test drive would probably change a few people’s perception of the solution.

EDIT - sorry just realised I am well out of sync on this thread, not sure why but when I opened Tapatalk I thought I was up to date!

Last edited by boris9; 17th March 2024 at 10:55.

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    A lot of fuss is made about the state of UK roads, but aside from a few countries I don’t find them much worse than elsewhere. Some of the worst roads I have seen are in the US, the I-95 freeway south of New York I recall being particularly bad when driving over there with potholes that would swallow a typical European car whole!

Take it from me there´s some Lincolnshire stretches of road heading this way...Hence I guess why I encountered a fair percentage of big beast cars, folks taking matters into their own hands I guess as best they can...not so brilliant on the narrower roads if you happen to be the one in the more conventionally sized vehicle, a dyke on either side adding to the thrill!
    Last edited by Passenger; 17th March 2024 at 11:57.

I doubt it makes much difference we just have more cars on the road than 20 years ago tradies vans at 3.5 tonne 6 or 8 wheelers at 26 or 32 along with artics at 44 tonne most likely do more damage.

Just round from me seems to have become an overnight stop for trucks and the road is often bad at at 5:20 driving to work it’s still dark and you could hear me in London if I hit one.

Council budgets are stretched so local roads in more rural areas are very bad city councils a bit better but with the decline of the high street rents they must also be feeling it. Even the main roads here maintained by bear I think are getting a bit old needing some remedial work I think

Tesla 3 ton cybertruck coming soon? Armoured glass and steel body handy for safely popping to Costco when the food riots begin.

Master
    Drove to pick up a camera yesterday and made a point of stopping off and using this Gridserve charging forecourt, really impressive facility.

https://www.gridserve.com/electric-v...court/norwich/

Hats off to Gridserve who took over the early infrastructure from Ecotricity and not only upgraded all the units but have built these forecourts as well.

They’ve also upgraded Scotch Corner services, which has gone from 2 x 50kW rapid units to 15 x 350kW ultra-rapids, it’s turned it from an ‘avoid at all costs’ site to one where you can rock up and know there’ll be a charger free. There’s also a Tesla site over the other side of the roundabout at the hotel, will make a big difference this summer for those venturing on holiday in their EV.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    Not true in all cases I don’t believe - I don’t have a home charger and have covered 10k miles in 5 months in my Tesla. Cost per mile is currently netting out slightly less than my previous diesel Audi Avant.

There are plenty of ways to get free energy (council car parks, pubs, hotels, even 15 mins in Tesco!) albeit very slow, and the Tesla network is working out at around £0.085 per mile, and that’s winter range. I expect that to drop to £0.075 ppm in summer.

It’s not inconvenient like many make out and it isn’t more expensive in all cases, although I would say that not all EV solutions are equal. What I would say, if you’ve not lived the situation you probably aren’t best placed to really know the ins and outs, and there’s a lot of nonsense on the internet. An extended test drive would probably change a few people’s perception of the solution.

EDIT - sorry just realised I am well out of sync on this thread, not sure why but when I opened Tapatalk I thought I was up to date!

You own an EV you are up to date….lol

Glad it is working out for you though seems you have a good system going. I could not be bothered with that though and could maybe at a stretch afford the fuel cap for a Tesla. Joking aside might be 40k-60k new. 25k second hand at 3 years or so old it’s pretty much a nett zero sum on my ICE and more of a hassle for me.

But if you’re happy I’m delighted and hope you drive it in good health either way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    80 K list or 400 pcm if on salary sacrifice scheme...it's all about the money and perceptions.
    If you have a decent charging solution that seems a good deal to get into a new car. ( assuming mileage is decent).

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Drove to pick up a camera yesterday and made a point of stopping off and using this Gridserve charging forecourt, really impressive facility.

Hats off to Gridserve who took over the early infrastructure from Ecotricity and not only upgraded all the units but have built these forecourts as well.

They’ve also upgraded Scotch Corner services, which has gone from 2 x 50kW rapid units to 15 x 350kW ultra-rapids, it’s turned it from an ‘avoid at all costs’ site to one where you can rock up and know there’ll be a charger free. There’s also a Tesla site over the other side of the roundabout at the hotel, will make a big difference this summer for those venturing on holiday in their EV.
    OMG ´´a vibe so hygge you´ll want to pack your dressing gown´´...good christ I´ve come out in hives.

Master
    OMG ´´a vibe so hygge you´ll want to pack your dressing gown´´...good christ I´ve come out in hives.
    Fortunately, there was none of that nonsense, but it was a nicer setup than most major service stations, but admittedly that’s a low bar to get over.

You really are ‘EV Curious’ aren’t you?! :-D

Craftsman
    Tesla 3 ton cybertruck coming soon? Armoured glass and steel body handy for safely popping to Costco when the food riots begin.
    lol….good news though most younger drivers licenses now only come with a cat B so will top out at around that as with 4 or 5 in the car with their bits it must be close to the 3.5 tonne max. Gotta take the little wins

Fortunately, there was none of that nonsense, but it was a nicer setup than most major service stations, but admittedly that’s a low bar to get over.

You really are ‘EV Curious’ aren’t you?! :-D
    The irony of course that it would probably suit him down to the ground, living in a sunny climate with all that energy going begging…think of the free motoring youd get P.

Craftsman

Nice wee setup.

I assume these ultra chargers are kinda smart and if you have a small car they just make adjustments to charging rates.

If folk put 100kw in then it would charge 45 cars an hour or so allowing for changeovers etc.

In busy periods I assume there is some sort of etiquette to not sit too long and hog a space I only ask as the other day while waiting to pay my diesel a woman was getting her weekly shop it seemed then asked for a coffee and croissant man that p………

Must draw some power though glad my standing charge is being put to good use….this is a joke so there is no confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    If you have a decent charging solution that seems a good deal to get into a new car. ( assuming mileage is decent).
    Sure doesn´t sound bad with the scheme, coughing up 80k less so to my way of thinking, it´s a nice large SUV, but then so is a Skoda Kodiaq...and very good luck to him, I wish him joy of it...though all that elctronicjimcrackery in that particular vehicle would give me concerns personally but I´m a Neanderludd, and everyone is different.

Master
    Nice wee setup.
    I assume these ultra chargers are kinda smart and if you have a small car they just make adjustments to charging rates.
    Yes, the charger and the cars battery management system communicate and the charger will only supply the current that the car says it can accept.

The charger then ends the charge whenever the battery percentage selected by the driver is reached, or the driver manually stops the charge.

Craftsman
    Yes, the charger and the cars battery management system communicate and the charger will only supply the current that the car says it can accept.

The charger then ends the charge whenever the battery percentage selected by the driver is reached, or the driver manually stops the charge.
    Sounds smooth the only thing that can cock it up if really a lack of consideration by people.

As more folk are adopt I would assume more idiot will be drawn in.

It would be handy if there was a services and it sent a text just to prompt your return

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    The irony of course that it would probably suit him down to the ground, living in a sunny climate with all that energy going begging…think of the free motoring youd get P.
    You know it, hence it´s still a concept I´m mulling. I see Skodás got a tasty looking small suv called the Epiq coming next year, rumoured to be 25k euro, so wassat about only 21k english...might be possible to get an additional 3 or 4k off with the MOVES or similar govt. type bribe, we´ll see... plus skoda´s got other EV´s in the following years...seems price wise to be possible they´ll become cheap as ICE, then I´d be in, when the time comes...that to my mind makes them a plausibly winning proposition, providing I´ve got the solar array sorted, though that comes at an upfront price too.

"Aside from a few countries"? :bigrin-new:
    You need to travel across continental Europe. The 2 countries I know that can match the UK's state of disrepair network are Bulgaria and Romania. I don't know all of the others but I'd be confident in saying that the UK has the worst network of Western Europe.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    It would be handy if there was a services and it sent a text just to prompt your return.
    Most EVs are connected to an App on your phone, you can monitor it from there whilst you have a coffee or something, you don’t need to stay with the car.

There are some selfish idiots, just like in all walks of life, but most rapids have overstay fees so it can get very expensive once a short grace period has elapsed after your charge has finished if you don’t shift the car.

You know it, hence it´s still a concept I´m mulling. I see Skodás got a tasty looking small suv called the Epiq coming next year, rumoured to be 25k euro, so wassat about only 21k english...might be possible to get an additional 3 or 4k off with the MOVES or similar govt. type bribe, we´ll see... plus skoda´s got other EV´s in the following years...seems price wise to be possible they´ll become cheap as ICE, then I´d be in, when the time comes...that to my mind makes them a plausibly winning proposition, providing I´ve got the solar array sorted, though that comes at an upfront price too.
    New Renault 5 looks good as well! I think i could probably at a push make batteries work for me now, if i was where you were it would be without doubt a solid no brainer…plus batteries. Even on a reasonable day we can get 10kw in to ours…not a lot you say but it equates to 40 miles ish in the summer months.

Craftsman
    Most EVs are connected to an App on your phone, you can monitor it from there whilst you have a coffee or something, you don’t need to stay with the car.

There are some selfish idiots, just like in all walks of life, but most rapids have overstay fees so it can get very expensive once a short grace period has elapsed after your charge has finished if you don’t shift the car.
    Yeah I’ve seen the apps but never used them I have simarlar for my solar panels tracker rate etc but just find they don’t alway do what I would like in terms of setting alarms if conditions met.

To be fair they do have api’s available so could always do it myself.

It is good to see things are getting better. Think I’ll stick with ICE for a while but mine has just pinged an oil service needed so there is another 150 down the condie but no pockets in a shroud I guess….

Craftsman

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Ok, my 2 pennies worth

I am not an EV convert, far from it, being honest I’m not sure if they are better or worse for the environment or whether or not they are the future but my hand was if not forced, but let’s call it forcibly persuaded to switch as for
    Me it’s a financial No brainier

I have 270 mile range when fully charged, even when temps where at their lowest (around zero) I was still hovering about 200 without having to drive home with the wipers and lights off at 10pm

Never have I had an issue and have traveled in excess 150 miles a few times

Have no feer about driving it with 20-30% charge as the range predictor is pretty accurate

I now have a charger at home even though technically I do not have off street parking, but as neighbours we have worked it out amongst ourselves so we can all co
    Exist And have done for 21 years now with
    Neighbours coming and going, and until someone upset the apple cart sticking with it

Public charging can be expensive, slow chargers are about the same
    As diesel and fast ones can be double the price

There’s more chargers than you think, a Quick Look on zap map finds me
    100 odd within 10 miles, yes I understand that’s a big radius but ideally you charge on the way through said radius and not make a Special journey, such as ikea or Tesco and make It work whilst you shop etc

Will I ever buy another ICE car, yes as we are a 2 car family And my wife’s lease deal expires in 4 weeks. So I will be on the lookout for an affordable metal box with £35 road tax and a tow bar that I can use for 1000 miles a year for when we both need the main car

Would I ever buy a new or expensive ICE car, no chance

As yet I don’t even have cheap rate as I have been waiting for the new price cap to drop which it has so will now set about locking one in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I
    Last edited by J3w3ll3r; 17th March 2024 at 15:37.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    Ok, my 2 pennies worth

I am not an EV convert, far from it, being honest I’m not sure if they are better or worse for the environment or whether or not they are the future but my hand was if not forced, but let’s call it forcibly persuaded to switch as for
    Me it’s a financial No brainier

I have 270 mile range when fully charged, even when temps where at their lowest (around zero) I was still hovering about 200 without having to drive home with the wipers and lights off at 10pm

Never have I had an issue and have traveled in excess 150 miles a few times

Have no feer about driving it with 20-30% charge as the range predictor is pretty accurate

I now have a charger at home even though technically I do not have off street parking, but as neighbours we have worked it out amongst ourselves so we can all co
    Exist And have done for 21 years now with
    Neighbours coming and going, and until someone upset the apple cart sticking with it

Public charging can be expensive, slow chargers are about the same
    As diesel and fast ones can be double the price

There’s more chargers than you think, a Quick Look on zap map finds me
    100 odd within 10 miles, yes I understand that’s a big radius but ideally you charge on the way through said radius and not make a Special journey, such as ikea or Tesco and make It work whilst you shop etc

Will I ever buy another ICE car, yes as we are a 2 car family And my wife’s lease deal expires in 4 weeks. So I will be on the lookout for an affordable metal box with £35 road tax and a tow bar that I can use for 1000 miles a year for when we both need the main car

Would I ever buy a new or expensive ICE car, no chance

As yet I don’t even have cheap rate as I have been waiting for the new price cap to drop which it has so will now set about locking one in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I
    Have you tried octopus

Not having off street does mean overnight charging is hard on an ev tariff or agile but even tracker is better than the new price cap assuming around the 22p range.

Perhaps there might be better tariffs for you.

Craftsman
    I have an Ohme charger and it’s located kn my property so I Think the tarrif will
    be fine

I was just waiting for the rates to drop

I will Contact Octopus tomorrow and get it done

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    I have an Ohme charger and it’s located kn my property so I Think the tarrif will
    be fine

I was just waiting for the rates to drop

I will Contact Octopus tomorrow and get it done

Right perfect thought you meant fixing to a SVR in April no worries

Sure doesn´t sound bad with the scheme, coughing up 80k less so to my way of thinking, it´s a nice large SUV, but then so is a Skoda Kodiaq...and very good luck to him, I wish him joy of it...though all that elctronicjimcrackery in that particular vehicle would give me concerns personally but I´m a Neanderludd, and everyone is different.
    As with most new cars these days there’s a tremendous amount of electronic hardware and software. I’d hazard a guess though that there’s less in an EV than and ICE, what with engine, gearbox, fuel injection, emissions management etc.

A proper Luddite needs a car with carburettors, points ignition, manual choke and wind up windows as a minimum.

Four months into my Taycan ownership and have to say it’s been a fantastic experience. As someone who always said I needed 3-400 range, the Taycan was a massive gamble as the range is pretty crap. But you know what - all you do is adapt to fit. I’ve just come back from a 400 round trip to Ipswich (Wednesday fan so hurting!) and it was just so simple.

Stopped at Ionity Cambridge on way down and way back. 20 min stops and gave me what I needed. Fast chargers coupled with a fast capability in the car is ace. 30p per kWh is great as a public charger (deal with Porsche charging service).

Before I dived in I also used to think I needed to fully charge all the time. Top up charging is the right way and I enjoy building in a 20 min break. Since getting the car I’ve done 3x 400-450 round trips and not had one problem. Also on IO and love the cheap rates that gives you.

If I have one regret it’s not doing it sooner via a company car just for the saving it would give me (and I’ll not cover Taycan depreciation!). Looking to get the Macan next year and even Mrs is a convert - really want the Renault 5 for her.

Master
    polestar 3 is a lot nicer than a Kodiak

Master
    Mate I was in the car unless my watch was off.

Say a 22kw charger and a 50kw battery how long to get to 50% there will be I am sure a few miles left in the tank and yes was only 100 to 150 miles on the clock.

I got out in like 40 miles so can only say what it said.

Just horses for courses.

Very few care what gets them from a to b it's the twats that operate the vehicle. Steriotypical or not justified or not.

I presume you were using a fast charger using a 22kw charger on the move is a bit mad unless there was literally no alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    polestar 3 is a lot nicer than a Kodiak
    Not to me it wouldn't be as I'm a poor old/ young pensioner of 52 and 3/4's, thus no salary sacrifice scheme/ tax bribe and there's a snowballs chance in hell I'd go back to work just for a car, and all that lot nicer or not stuff is fairly subjective these days sure maybe nicer plastics in one than the other perhaps a bigger screen a few extra toys I wouldn't ever use, but for functionality in fact the KODIAQ'S got 7 seats vs only 5 , the Poledancer's arse kicked on that score, and at more than twice the price of the Kodiak...the likely depreciation on a Polestar bought with my own money, yowzer I'd feel properly violated additionally don't Skodas consistently beat the arse of comparable but more expensive big sister VW models these days, which never fails to tickle me pleased...but as always it's seahorses for watercourses, .

That said I wish the gentleman joy of his Polestar obviously and at 400 quid a month, sounds a pretty sweet deal, nice perk o the job if you can geddit and must work.
    Last edited by Passenger; 17th March 2024 at 18:48.

As with most new cars these days there’s a tremendous amount of electronic hardware and software. I’d hazard a guess though that there’s less in an EV than and ICE, what with engine, gearbox, fuel injection, emissions management etc.

A proper Luddite needs a car with carburettors, points ignition, manual choke and wind up windows as a minimum.
    To me Dave anything's better than shank's pony, a push bike or UK public transport...I even managed a quantum of warm feeling towards the Dacia Sandero, when I handed it back.
    Last edited by Passenger; 17th March 2024 at 19:00.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    I presume you were using a fast charger using a 22kw charger on the move is a bit mad unless there was literally no alternative.
    Not my car brother I have no idea. It was an hour from home so was a pain in the arse either way but was not the end of the world. I do doubt entry level cars connect to the 350kw chargers mentioned above and I did not question it at the time

I don’t know and I don’t care really if I’m honest as I was grateful for the lift when all is said and done as would have taken a lot longer by bus.

As a kinnda rogue post to answer the op question then yes they are an alternative but don’t yet meet the needs of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    "Aside from a few countries"? :bigrin-new:
    You need to travel across continental Europe. The 2 countries I know that can match the UK's state of disrepair network are Bulgaria and Romania. I don't know all of the others but I'd be confident in saying that the UK has the worst network of Western Europe.
    Steady, someone'll be along, asking if you're English in a minute.

As a kinnda rogue post to answer the op question then yes they are an alternative but don’t yet meet the needs of all.
    Nothing that ever been on the road does.

WRT charging, if a car is plugged in to a 350kw charger but will only charge at 50kw, then it will charge at 50kw, it won’t not charge.

Master
    Not to me it wouldn't be as I'm a poor old/ young pensioner of 52 and 3/4's, thus no salary sacrifice scheme/ tax bribe and there's a snowballs chance in hell I'd go back to work just for a car, and all that lot nicer or not stuff is fairly subjective these days sure maybe nicer plastics in one than the other perhaps a bigger screen a few extra toys I wouldn't ever use, but for functionality in fact the KODIAQ'S got 7 seats vs only 5 , the Poledancer's arse kicked on that score, and at more than twice the price of the Kodiak...the likely depreciation on a Polestar bought with my own money, yowzer I'd feel properly violated additionally don't Skodas consistently beat the arse of comparable but more expensive big sister VW models these days, which never fails to tickle me pleased...but as always it's seahorses for watercourses, .

That said I wish the gentleman joy of his Polestar obviously.
    I have no need for 7 seats, I don’t know about the Kodiak but in many cars the rearmost seats can only be used my midgets anyway.
    I’ve had an Audi e-tron for the last 4 years, a lovely car but not the most exciting to drive. I’m hoping that the P3 will give me the practicality I need with a family of 4 and something a bit fun to drive when it’s just me in the car.
    The Skodas do offer great value for money and generally are more practical than the VW or Audi equivalent. If you value practicality over driving comfort or having the latest tech then they are probably the right choice. For me, I either spend the money on a car via salary sacrifice or get taxed 62% on the cash and still need to purchase and run a car, so it’s a no-brainer to take the car and there is little incentive to economise on a cheaper alternative.

I have no need for 7 seats, I don’t know about the Kodiak but in many cars the rearmost seats can only be used my midgets anyway.
    I’ve had an Audi e-tron for the last 4 years, a lovely car but not the most exciting to drive. I’m hoping that the P3 will give me the practicality I need with a family of 4 and something a bit fun to drive when it’s just me in the car.
    The Skodas do offer great value for money and generally are more practical than the VW or Audi equivalent. If you value practicality over driving comfort or having the latest tech then they are probably the right choice. For me, I either spend the money on a car via salary sacrifice or get taxed 62% on the cash and still need to purchase and run a car, so it’s a no-brainer to take the car and there is little incentive to economise on a cheaper alternative.

And I absolutely wish you joy of it Stuie, there was no criticism of you or your decision implied I was just responding to the other members post from my own perspective in response to the ''lot nicer'' suggestion...I have no need for such a large vehicle anyway, just me the wife and the nipper, hence I bought a Karoq a very practical and comfortable car to drive btw from experience.. though the missus did, does still quite like the Kodiaq, but it's way excess to our needs and we are not our purchases.
    Last edited by Passenger; 17th March 2024 at 19:28.

Master
    Not my car brother I have no idea. It was an hour from home so was a pain in the arse either way but was not the end of the world. I do doubt entry level cars connect to the 350kw chargers mentioned above and I did not question it at the time

I don’t know and I don’t care really if I’m honest as I was grateful for the lift when all is said and done as would have taken a lot longer by bus.

no worries , but when saying stuff like that context is important something will read this and go you can only charge 50 percent in an hour on a fast charger and then take that to the grave.

Anyone feeling brave? RS E-Tron GT Saloon at 38% or £50k off list

https://www.drivethedeal.com/SpecialOffers.aspx

What does this say about where the EV market is going...

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Anyone feeling brave? RS E-Tron GT Saloon at 38% or £50k off list

https://www.drivethedeal.com/SpecialOffers.aspx

What does this say about where the EV market is going...
    Says more about Audi charging nearly £140k for a car in a cost of living crisis. It'd be like Oris charging £10k for a SS watch with all the other competition at that price point from more renowned luxury brands.

As an aside Audi are still making diesels? Who on earth is buying them? I thought diesels were persona non gratis now?

I was talking to a bloke at the weekend who is a contract manager for a truck / lorry company. They supply electric vehicles and are already planning for them being obsolete. Once hydrogen vehicles hit the market, electric is dead. He spoke to a company last week that want a fleet of electric trucks that cost £265k each. They want them on a 6 year lease plan and asked what their value will be at the end of that period....£1200!

They'll break then for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Says more about Audi charging nearly £140k for a car in a cost of living crisis. It'd be like Oris charging £10k for a SS watch with all the other competition at that price point from more renowned luxury brands.

As an aside Audi are still making diesels? Who on earth is buying them? I thought diesels were persona non gratis now?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I was talking to a bloke at the weekend who is a contract manager for a truck / lorry company. They supply electric vehicles and are already planning for them being obsolete. Once hydrogen vehicles hit the market, electric is dead. He spoke to a company last week that want a fleet of electric trucks that cost £265k each. They want them on a 6 year lease plan and asked what their value will be at the end of that period....£1200!

They'll break then for parts.
    I think Newcastle have more chance of winning the Champions League than hydrogen taking over from EVs.

That said, trucking is an area where hydrogen could possibly be an option.

I think Newcastle have more chance of winning the Champions League than hydrogen taking over from EVs.

That said, trucking is an area where hydrogen could possibly be an option.
    This.

Further than that, H2 is not exactly safe to transport and store so you'd need to refurbish every single petrol station and have a brand new fleet of tankers. At least most people have access to a private of public charging point.

H2 would be great for the environment. The technology works. But it's a pipe dream for the moment.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    This.

Further than that, H2 is not exactly safe to transport and store so you'd need to refurbish every single petrol station and have a brand new fleet of tankers. At least most people have access to a private of public charging point.

H2 would be great for the environment. The technology works. But it's a pipe dream for the moment.

I had a chat to the innovation dept at JCB last year they were telling me while all the micro and small machines will be continue to be developed as electric, they are forging ahead with Hydrogen for the big stuff. I would expect big trucks to be the same.

They’ll probably have a huge diesel generator on site to produce the hydrogen.