closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 43 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,150 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Yes, it's a bunch of 7kW sockets for slow top up charging during office hours, which is more than enough for most daily commutes. During weekends and summer evenings the panels are charging batteries and feeding other areas. It might be a drop in the ocean but I'm pretty sure that they provide more than 'just about enough power to keep the canopy lights illuminated'.
    Ah yes, ignore me as you're right that'll make a difference on a 7KW. Unfortunately I work in the City and while we have parking we have no charging facilities.

Master
    Mr Curta, do you know which brand those 7kw chargers are with the solar canopy?

Sound interesting, may look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Mr Curta, do you know which brand those 7kw chargers are with the solar canopy?

Sound interesting, may look into it.
    All of the charging pillars predate the canopy, some by several years as there have been regular updates and increases in number of outlets. There's a mixture of Rolec and BP units, the Rolec are pretty basic and just do what they say on the tin, the BP ones are activated by a card and display the kWh delivered. Not sure who manufactured the panels and associated gubbins, I'm offsite at present but can have a look on return.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Had this fitted on Friday and it all appears to be up and running ok. The sparks tested the unit with some box but suggested that i plug an EV in to fully test.
    Asked the sister in law to plug her EQC in and it worked fine but i noticed that the unit was charging at nearly 8 kwh (7kwh charger) which was confirmed on the app and car.
    Is this normal that the units charge more than whats listed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Had this fitted on Friday and it all appears to be up and running ok. The sparks tested the unit with some box but suggested that i plug an EV in to fully test.
    Asked the sister in law to plug her EQC in and it worked fine but i noticed that the unit was charging at nearly 8 kwh (7kwh charger) which was confirmed on the app and car.
    Is this normal that the units charge more than whats listed?
    Mine does. 7kW charger but charges at either 8 or just under. Electrician said it's probably because we have a high ampage here - think it's 250 instead of the normal 220.

Just found an old screenshot showing what mine charges at

Great, thanks

it will also depend on the battery level as the battery charges faster when empty/warm than when nearly full/cold

What are members thoughts on the 2nd hand market for EV's?
    I am considering selling my 71 Eniro, to consolidate my borrowing, as I would like to work part-time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    What are members thoughts on the 2nd hand market for EV's?
    I am considering selling my 71 Eniro, to consolidate my borrowing, as I would like to work part-time.
    From what I’m seeing, the second hand market is very strong at the moment.
    If I wanted to purchase another Skoda Enyaq, it would cost me more to buy a used one than I paid for my brand new one a year and a half ago.

I have a Dec 2021 bog standard Model 3. Cost 41k and the current equivalent is 43k. 9k miles.

I got quotes last week as I do periodically.

WBAC: £26,665
    Motorway: £32,370

Values might be strong on Autotrader maybe but dealer buy-ins definitely aren't.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    According to CarWow, leasing a 320d is around £550-590 a month over 10k miles per annum, the base i4 is £690, or around £100 a month more.

There’s a fuel saving of around £80 a month with the i4 as well, so hardly anything in it.

You’re right though, not really in the same league, you’d probably need something with an M badge to match the i4 performance, which would be more cash.

Talking of cash, the 320d is about £45k, and lacking some of the kit on the i4, the i4 appears to be around £56k, but again you’d probably need to compare a few models up from the 320d to get comparable performance.
    What with the state of the packed roads in the south performance must be becoming irrelevant...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    What with the state of the packed roads in the south performance must be becoming irrelevant...
    Fortunately, there’s more to the UK than the south! :-)

Master
    Had our first icy conditions of the season today and discovered that the energy recovery system, when taking my foot off the accelerator, is strong enough to activate the ABS and make the car a little jittery. I fixed this my altering the energy recovery setting to low and I think i might leave it there for a week or so.

Our Ipace lost 50 miles of range overnight, haven’t seen the cold affect it that badly before

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I have a Dec 2021 bog standard Model 3. Cost 41k and the current equivalent is 43k. 9k miles.

I got quotes last week as I do periodically.

WBAC: £26,665
    Motorway: £32,370

Values might be strong on Autotrader maybe but dealer buy-ins definitely aren't.
    This is what I am finding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t really understand the current car pricing situation tbh. I have a 2015 golf 1.6tdi cabriolet with 24000 miles on the clock in the garage as our second car. Live in a rural area so no issues with it being a Euro 5, gets 55mpg on my rural runs and £20 tax. WBAC offering £7k - the car is immaculate, apart from 1 abs sensor it’s never faltered. Their offer doesn’t seem to be in line with the cost of cars on autotrader at all. Makes more sense to keep the car until it starts costing me money, sell it on a sunny day in 5 years time. I suspect that’s possibly more eco friendly than the impact of building a new ev but I may be wrong. But my man maths says it’ll be massively cheaper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

It really doesn’t matter what car you own now, keeping it is far more environmentally friendly (and probably much cheaper) than buying new.

According to CarWow, leasing a 320d is around £550-590 a month over 10k miles per annum, the base i4 is £690, or around £100 a month more.

There’s a fuel saving of around £80 a month with the i4 as well, so hardly anything in it.

You’re right though, not really in the same league, you’d probably need something with an M badge to match the i4 performance, which would be more cash.

Talking of cash, the 320d is about £45k, and lacking some of the kit on the i4, the i4 appears to be around £56k, but again you’d probably need to compare a few models up from the 320d to get comparable performance.
    It is all about salary sacrifice and BIK.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    It is all about salary sacrifice and BIK.
    Yes, company car drivers and employees with access to salary sacrifice are driving (pardon the pun) the current sales.

These will be the lower cost used EVs people keep saying they’re waiting for, and we need, though.

That said, there are still a good few private buyers, it is possible to purchase comparable EVs via PCP/HP/Loan or whatever for similar monthly outgoings as the ICE version.

My workplace, an NHS trust has introduced ev charging by a company called Fuuse. I don't have an EV but my colleagues who do think that the charge of 59p/kWh is excessive and more expensive than filling up with petrol. A quick calculation seems to suggest that they might be right. Has anyone heard of this company? It seems to be a lot more than public chargers?

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    My workplace, an NHS trust has introduced ev charging by a company called Fuuse. I don't have an EV but my colleagues who do think that the charge of 59p/kWh is excessive and more expensive than filling up with petrol. A quick calculation seems to suggest that they might be right. Has anyone heard of this company? It seems to be a lot more than public chargers?
    I guess it depends on what car you're comparing it to surely ?

Edit…still reckon theres a tenner in it in favour of the EV
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 18th January 2023 at 21:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I guess it depends on what car you're comparing it to surely ?

Edit…still reckon theres a tenner in it in favour of the EV
    They are looking at leased mercedes a250e. We calculate petrol cost per mile is 17p whereas the EV charge is 23p/mile.

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    They are looking at leased mercedes a250e. We calculate petrol cost per mile is 17p whereas the EV charge is 23p/mile.
    Charging at home (at normal rates, special EV tariffs/off peak would be even cheaper) or the free chargers at Tesco will reduce the charge cost to about 10p/mile or 0p/Mike.

At 23p/mile and 3.5m/kwhr (estimate), you’re looking at over 80p/kwhr for electricity.

An A250e is a hybrid anyway so there’s no need to use any expensive electric and just take advantage of any cheap or free charge opportunities.

Edit: 23p/mile and 59p/kwhr equates to about 2.5m/kwhr. Some of the large EVs can be as low as that but a little A class will likely be closer to double that.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 19th January 2023 at 08:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Charging at home (at normal rates, special EV tariffs/off peak would be even cheaper) or the free chargers at Tesco will reduce the charge cost to about 10p/mile or 0p/Mike.

At 23p/mile and 3.5m/kwhr (estimate), you’re looking at over 80p/kwhr for electricity.

An A250e is a hybrid anyway so there’s no need to use any expensive electric and just take advantage of any cheap or free charge opportunities.

Edit: 23p/mile and 59p/kwhr equates to about 2.5m/kwhr. Some of the large EVs can be as low as that but a little A class will likely be closer to double that.
    I believe that since November the Pod Points at Tescos, are no longer free.
    Up until then the two stores in our town were free, but now they charge 28p per KW, which ironically is still than my domestic rate!

I believe that since November the Pod Points at Tescos, are no longer free.
    Up until then the two stores in our town were free, but now they charge 28p per KW, which ironically is still than my domestic rate!
    To be honest, I never use them so didn’t know that. Even so, it’s still under 10p/mile in most EVs.

I just moved from the US (DC) where I had two EVs and have a “bridge” Model3 EV in W-London until I get my PHEV. I have to say the charging infrastructure here is pretty shocking. Bottom line is I’d only consider a full EV if I could charge at home or work reliably. Public infrastructure needs a LOT of development 😬

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Thank you for your calculations. The 59p/kWh is they only definite figure, the others are somewhat speculative.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    All of the charging pillars predate the canopy, some by several years as there have been regular updates and increases in number of outlets. There's a mixture of Rolec and BP units, the Rolec are pretty basic and just do what they say on the tin, the BP ones are activated by a card and display the kWh delivered. Not sure who manufactured the panels and associated gubbins, I'm offsite at present but can have a look on return.
    Thanks for the reply, sorry I missed it. If you are on site again anytime soon, would love a picture to see what the canopy is all about. We are in process of installing some chargers in some buildings at work and having the solar input would be nice.

This story popped up my phone, probably because of the number of times I searched Volvo C40...

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/m...c-car-25989706

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    This story popped up my phone, probably because of the number of times I searched Volvo C40...

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/m...c-car-25989706
    Me thinks he was enjoying the 408bhp a little too much on his outward journey, 160 miles range from a 69kWh battery is pretty poor!

If he’d driven more like he did on the way back, he’d be looking at 200 miles per charge, but it is a 408bhp SUV.

Does look like a lovely car though!

Well my brief (just over a year) with an EV, will most likely end in a week or so.
    Why, you may ask.
    1) I need to consolidate my finance, so I may look to work part-time.
    2) Not having an easy access for charging overnight, without infringing double yellow lines or sitting with the car.
    3) Having to regularly check the available range.
    4) Sharp increase in electrical charges and reduced Petrol/Diesel prices.
    5) Large depreciation price, as I found out this week, when placing my Kia up for sale with Motorway - no offers, Carwoo only one that was £5,000 below the reserve price and WBAC were the worst of them all.

So, I have arranged a pt ex against another vehicle - one of my favourite manufacturers, Volvo.

See what happens in 10 years time.

Well my brief (just over a year) with an EV, will most likely end in a week or so.
    Why, you may ask.
    2) Not having an easy access for charging overnight, without infringing double yellow lines or sitting with the car.
    5) Large depreciation price, as I found out this week, when placing my Kia up for sale with Motorway - no offers, Carwoo only one that was £5,000 below the reserve price and WBAC were the worst of them all.

So, I have arranged a pt ex against another vehicle - one of my favourite manufacturers, Volvo.

I think that you've done well to last so long without home charging, there's still a long way to go before I'd feel comfortable relying on public chargers.
    I wonder whether the depreciation you've experienced indicates that second-hand prices are coming down.

Home charging would make my life considerable easier but much harder to claim back the expense

Due to the mileage I do, I charge most days at public chargers

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr

Master
    Why, you may ask.

The economics of running an EV certainly look very different to a year ago, particularly for private buyers reliant on public charging points:
    Higher list prices, lower residual values, higher finance costs, no government grants, road tax in future = increased lease costs and there has been big increases in rates at public chargers / diminishing numbers of free public chargers.

This could still be a good time for private buyers of used EVs if they do have off-street parking however given the drop in values and availability of some night-time charging rates.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Well if any member would like to buy a one year old Kia Eniro 4+with 8,200 miles under its belt drop me a PM :-)

Incidentally, is there a market for pre owned home chargers?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    The economics of running an EV certainly look very different to a year ago, particularly for private buyers reliant on public charging points:
    Higher list prices, lower residual values, higher finance costs, no government grants, road tax in future = increased lease costs and there has been big increases in rates at public chargers / diminishing numbers of free public chargers.

This could still be a good time for private buyers of used EVs if they do have off-street parking however given the drop in values and availability of some night-time charging rates.

Wasn’t here a tv programme about evs on the other night and a lot of people said they were going back to petrol and diesel due to the points you have raised ?

Master
    Well if any member would like to buy a one year old Kia Eniro 4+with 8,200 miles under its belt drop me a PM :-)

Incidentally, is there a market for pre owned home chargers?
    How have you found the Eniro in itself? Is the 4+ worth having as the top spec?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Wasn’t here a tv programme about evs on the other night and a lot of people said they were going back to petrol and diesel due to the points you have raised ?
    I didn’t watch that one, but I did watch Fifth Gear last night where they pitted a Porsche Taycan against a Panamera V8. The 0-100-0 test was mind blowing and, even though the Taycan won overall, it was the Panamera that VBH chose for the long drive home!

Also, watching the two cars around the track, it was surprising just how much body roll the Panamera suffered from, albeit in the hands of an ex F1 driver.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post

I happened to end up having to do around 400 miles over the last few days in an EV, and having to set off with very little charge, so relying totally on public charging at 75p per kWh.

I ended up spending £94, arriving home with a little more in the battery than when I set off, but let’s call it 24p per mile.

If I’d been on an equivalent petrol car, I’d be expecting 35 mpg (a 300PS SUV), I’d have spent about £80 at todays fuel price over the same journey, or 20p per mile.

Of course, had I done the same journey in a 55mpg diesel I’d have been at 14.5p per mile, so I get the economics at face value.

I don’t drive an EV for economics though, if so I could have sought out the Ionity chargers which cost me 25p per kWh, or 8p per mile, but it was more convenient to use whichever chargers I was passing, but it’s still possible to do it more cheaply.

It’ll be interesting to see if petrol and diesel stays ‘cheap’, and what they start doing with duty going forwards, and of course electricity prices could do with being much lower than they are for all sorts of reasons over and above powering a car.

A few people I know are using an Elli charging membership to keep public charging costs reasonable, flat rate of 43p per kWh on rapids and 35p on slower AC charging, and ‘fuel’ costs are still a bit lower than an equivalent petrol or diesel.

I expect we’ll be seeing EV, Petrol and Diesel cars running alongside each other for a couple of decades yet, so best advice I think is to run and use what you have and perhaps look at different means of propulsion when it’s time to change the car.

For some, petrol and diesel might suit them better, it’s not illegal at the end of the day, but the era of low cost motorised personal transport is definitely on its last legs it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by stevieb View Post
    How have you found the Eniro in itself? Is the 4+ worth having as the top spec?
    I have been very happy with it, the optional extras are worth it, especially at the current market price of pre-owned ones.

Though to be fair, when I bought it, Kia were pushing the 4+ over the other models, so I am not entirely sure, what the other models had fitted.

The ride on the Kia is a lot better that my previous XC60 which tended to roll too much.

I´m not sure that assertion is quite right though is it...that the era of low cost motorised personal transport being over...there´s plenty of affordable ICE vehicles out there, even better buy them used. My SUV gets around 500 miles to a tank of petrol... cost me just under 65 gbp to fill up 2 weeks ago, so wossat about 13 p a mile...to transport 3 of us about the place, seems pretty cheap to me. Nor do I have to hunt out refuelling points, and queuing who does that! A cold spell eating the range up, pshaw silly!
    Last edited by Passenger; 22nd January 2023 at 13:20.

Master

Chatting with a guy in work last night who’s currently running a Merc GLC or GLE350 (I’m not sure of the model, but he said it’s the 350) and he said he’d like to go electric for his next car but he won’t bother until he can get 500 miles of range as that’s what he gets out of his current car.
    I asked him does he regularly drive for 7 hours without stopping and I was met with a blank stare. I then explained that’s roughly how long he could drive for on a motorway with a range of 500 miles.
    I tried to convince him that he didn’t need a 500 mile range but I was wasting my time.
    You have to have a certain mindset to own and run an electric car, but some people are not willing to adapt their lifestyle to them.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Chatting with a guy in work last night who’s currently running a Merc GLC or GLE350 (I’m not sure of the model, but he said it’s the 350) and he said he’d like to go electric for his next car but he won’t bother until he can get 500 miles of range.
    I asked him does he regularly drive for 7 hours without stopping and I was met with a blank stare. I then explained that’s roughly how long he could drive for on a motorway with a range of 500 miles as he can get that out of his current car.
    I tried to convince him that he didn’t need a 500 mile range but I was wasting my time.
    You have to have a certain mindset to own and run an electric car, but some people are not willing to adapt their lifestyle to them.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    It´s this mindset I´m trying to understand...if it´s not for the economics and it´s not for the posing potential, and it´s not for the environment, why are folks so sure-fire keen to own them?

Tongue in cheek.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I´m not sure that assertion is quite right though is it...that the era of low cost motorised personal transport being over...there´s plenty of affordable ICE vehicles out there, even better buy them used. My SUV gets around 500 miles to a tank of petrol... cost me just under 65 gbp to fill up 2 weeks ago, so wossat about 13 p a mile...to transport 3 of us about the place, seems pretty cheap to me. Nor do I have to hunt out refuelling points, and queuing who does that! A cold spell eating the range up, pshaw silly!
    There are ‘cheap’ used EVs out there too, it depends on what you want or need from a car, but my ‘no cheap motoring’ point still stands, new ICE cars have shot up in price as well, as have the interest rates on the borrowing that a lot of people need to buy them.

If you’ve paid for your car already, then great, the costs have been sunk and it will appear ‘cheap’.

By the way, your 10 gallon tank of petrol contains the equivalent of about 450kWh of electricity, not really surprising it can do 500 miles then (an EV with that size battery could manage 1500 miles, but it’s a moot point as the battery would weigh over 3 tonnes) but it will be doing worse mpg in cold weather, you just don’t notice it as much.

It's considerably less than 10p per mile for me to run my EV and I never have to hunt out refuelling points. They don't work for everybody yet but they do work for a great many.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    It´s this mindset I´m trying to understand...if it´s not for the economics and it´s not for the posing potential, and it´s not for the environment, why are folks so sure-fire keen to own them?

Tongue in cheek.
    Ok, tongue in cheek you say.

There are economic benefits, there are environmental benefits, the posing potential I’ll not comment on as that’s a bit sad whatever it is you drive to be honest.

500 miles in your SUV emits 109kg of CO2, an EV doing 3 miles per kWh charged on the UKs energy mix would be around 36kg. The EVs carbon is emitted at the power station, your ICE emits it in communities along with particulate matter.

Even Volvo reckon the additional carbon involved in building an EV over a comparable ICE is paid back after as little as 30k miles, and VW claim to be carbon neutral at point of manufacture so it’s a CO2 win from the start.

You might not be bothered about all that, but some people are. If anybody remembers the air quality improvements brought about by the Covid lockdowns, I’d love to get back to something like that.

You’re not an EV fan, I get it, and that’s fine, but in a thread about the viability of EVs as every day transport, I think that question was answered a long time ago!

As Tooks said, my question to whether they are viable now has been answered. For most people yes, assuming you do a few hundred miles a week and can charge at home and are willing to pay anywhere from 35k plus. If not you make your choice and fall in to your own mind set.

You’re not an EV fan, I get it, and that’s fine, but in a thread about the viability of EVs as every day transport, I think that question was answered a long time ago!
    Indeed, and it's a puzzle why some are so reluctant to look at both sides of the coin and accept that. The current era feels a bit like those vintage films of cities with horse-drawn-carriages running alongside a handful early motor cars and steam vehicles with many sceptical or unable to afford the change. Things changed quite rapidly then, and they will now. The pace of development of EVs is very impressive, I'm still astonished at the acceleration and range from a relatively modest model.

At least I stand a chance of driving without using energy derived from fossil fuels, and as a bonus the remote climate control is brilliant in a very cold or hot snap and I love the silent motoring and being able to actually hear nature on the move.

I can appreciate your analogy Mr. C. I´ve a feeling a lotta folks are quite naturally awaiting the arrival of the EV equivalent of the Model T Ford.