closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 23 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Nice one thanks I'll check that out.
    If you’re interested in rapid when out and about with the P400e when you get it, then Instavolt, Gridserve, BP Pulse, Shell Recharge and Osprey amongst others just allow you to use a contactless debit card now on a pay as you go basis.

For slower 7kW destination chargers in car parks/shopping centres etc, PodPoint and Pulse are two of the most common, and can be started with the respective Apps.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    If you’ve got an ID.3, you can setup a WeCharge account, which should get you some Ionity discounted options as well as being able to use it on various other networks and they aggregate the bill.
    I'll take a look into it. I get discounted Ionity thought my Hyundai account. I'm not actually that close to an Ionity but when the weather warms up a bit I might go and test the charging speed of the Ioniq 5 at a fast charger.

Grand Master
    Chap at work bought a Prius that had been used as a taxi from new,bought it with 275k on the clock and no issues whatsever.
    When and if I go hybrid Ill certainly be looking at what taxi drivers have been driving,no better group off people to prove the reliability of certain brands imo.

Blog Entries
    If you’re interested in rapid when out and about with the P400e when you get it, then Instavolt, Gridserve, BP Pulse, Shell Recharge and Osprey amongst others just allow you to use a contactless debit card now on a pay as you go basis.

For slower 7kW destination chargers in car parks/shopping centres etc, PodPoint and Pulse are two of the most common, and can be started with the respective Apps.
    Sounds like a good idea if you can just use a debit card.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I used to be a nay-sayer about EV cars, but Mrs Yumma bought one and now I absolutely love it and am a humble pie eating convert. The instant torque and refinement is fantastic but best of all are the running costs. I checked our Charger App and due to our overnight discounted energy rate, our overall running cost for the whole of February was £6.09!!! The car is used most days and mainly local trips, but that is less money than a Gallon of petrol; incredible. January was under a fiver!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Been told by Jaguar that the F Pace that was not due until September/October will now be delivered early April. Anyone else had similar news on new cars?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Been told by Jaguar that the F Pace that was not due until September/October will now be delivered early April. Anyone else had similar news on new cars?
    Im waiting for a petrol hybrid Evoque which i ordered last year, the dealership rang me with an update this week and he said more cars were coming through now. I’m waiting until October because thats when my lease runs out but he was quoting 4-6 months where last year it was 12 months +

Master
    From what I’m reading on the Enyaq forums, it’s going the opposite way with Skoda. They do have plants in Russia though or they get parts from Russia, something like that and now with the war, those places aren’t accessible.

Craftsman
    Does anyone have the Volvo XC40 Full EV that they can advise on (good or bad)?

Test drove a top spec (£49k) PHEV version last week and really liked it. Got the chance of ordering the entry level full EV and I’m just weighing up whether it’s a good move.

It’s a company car and I’ve worked out it would be costing me about £274 a month, that’s car, insurance, BIK tax, maintenance etc

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Does anyone have the Volvo XC40 Full EV that they can advise on (good or bad)?

Test drove a top spec (£49k) PHEV version last week and really liked it. Got the chance of ordering the entry level full EV and I’m just weighing up whether it’s a good move.

It’s a company car and I’ve worked out it would be costing me about £274 a month, that’s car, insurance, BIK tax, maintenance etc
    Ordered it on Friday. Only 8 months to mull it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Ordered it on Friday. Only 8 months to mull it over.
    My brother has one in order for his wife to replace her diesel XC40. He has just taken delivery of a model Y (he also has a model X) which is using until hers is ready.

He’s hoping that she falls in love with it and he can cancel the order for the XC. His plan is to sell the X at that time and either buy the XC or buy himself a model 3.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    From what I’m reading on the Enyaq forums, it’s going the opposite way with Skoda. They do have plants in Russia though or they get parts from Russia, something like that and now with the war, those places aren’t accessible.
    I thought the Skoda plant was in Ukraine rather than Russia from what friend said as work colleague Enyaq got put back to September at earliest. Quick google says bit of both:

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/202...3fd53d65f759a1

"Skoda said its supply chain consisted of a number of suppliers in western Ukraine.

The Czech carmaker said production was still running at its two plants in Russia, which has been hit by Western sanctions for its invasion of Ukraine."

Master
    Has an interesting revelation about our ID.3- cruising at 75 - 80 kills the range. At 65, we saw a genuine 270+ miles.

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Has an interesting revelation about our ID.3- cruising at 75 - 80 kills the range. At 65, we saw a genuine 270+ miles.

How are you finding the ID3? I've had mine on order for 6 months and still awaiting a build date - I'm very excited.

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Yep, the same in the Model 3 — 70mph is the limit otherwise the range vanishes but it’s very keen on 65mph.

Craftsman
    My EV6 was delivered on Thursday. The wife has a Nissan Leaf so we are used to EV driving but the power and acceleration on this machine is something else.

Craftsman
    So quite a few Tesla owners on here but does anybody have a Jag I-Pace, if so would you recommend? Looking to convert to the EV fold.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    My EV6 was delivered on Thursday. The wife has a Nissan Leaf so we are used to EV driving but the power and acceleration on this machine is something else.
    Very nice! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Just ordered one myself. What model/spec did you get...impressions/pics???

Craftsman
    Just been looking at the Cupra Born 58kw with the etron 230 motor, it’s basically an ID 3 with a bit better looks. I did spend a weekend in an Ionic 5 and loved it but don’t really fancy shelling out for one if these and the Born looks like a decent bit of kit.
    Anyone else been looking at these or got any info?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DiXoN View Post
    Just been looking at the Cupra Born 58kw with the etron 230 motor, it’s basically an ID 3 with a bit better looks. I did spend a weekend in an Ionic 5 and loved it but don’t really fancy shelling out for one if these and the Born looks like a decent bit of kit.
    Anyone else been looking at these or got any info?
    As you say, it’s an ID.3 in a party frock, batteries and drivetrain are the same as it’s based on the VAG MEB platform although you can specify the ‘e-boost’ option to get up to 228bhp when required, over the standard 204bhp.

It’s got a slightly firmer ride from what I’ve read, but after that it’s cosmetics/styling, and whilst I think the exterior might be a bit overdone, the interior looks nice.

Craftsman
    As you say, it’s an ID.3 in a party frock, batteries and drivetrain are the same as it’s based on the VAG MEB platform although you can specify the ‘e-boost’ option to get up to 228bhp when required, over the standard 204bhp.

It’s got a slightly firmer ride from what I’ve read, but after that it’s cosmetics/styling, and whilst I think the exterior might be a bit overdone, the interior looks nice.
    Thanks, that’s pretty much what I thought. I’m going to have a look at one next week and see if it’s for me before I pull the trigger but it looks like it’s going to be quite a few months before they are built and get one.

https://apple.news/Acy0ZESP1TfCy_vAKeHeiWQ
    Doesn’t make very happy reading for the midlands car industry
    About time our government took a bit more interest in this and the viability of the uk specialty steels business, currently hobbled by crippling energy costs and allowing Turkish steel makers with on-site COAL (!) fired power stations to undercut them in the market

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post

About time our government took a bit more interest in this and the viability of the uk specialty steels business, currently hobbled by crippling energy costs and allowing Turkish steel makers with on-site COAL (!) fired power stations to undercut them in the market
    In 21st century Britain such opinions are heresy.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Doesn’t make very happy reading for the midlands car industry
    Is EV the future or is Hydrogen? Reminds me of the VHS and Betamax saga.

Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    Is EV the future or is Hydrogen? Reminds me of the VHS and Betamax saga.
    It’s certainly not hydrogen. Too many compromises and inefficiencies for cars; possibly a solution for LGV and similar.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    It’s certainly not hydrogen. Too many compromises and inefficiencies for cars; possibly a solution for LGV and similar.
    Yeah you could be right.

There are quite a few manufactures investing in hydrogen, JLR and Toyota being 2 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    There are quite a few manufactures investing in hydrogen, JLR and Toyota being 2 of them.
    Indeed they are though largely because there is significant government funding to support it.

As I say it’s likely to have a part to play in the total transport portfolio, but with 15,000 hydrogen fuel cell vehicles sold worldwide in 2021 (vs nearly 5 million EVs) I don’t think it’s a big part.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post

As I say it’s likely to have a part to play in the total transport portfolio, but with 15,000 hydrogen fuel cell vehicles sold worldwide in 2021 (vs nearly 5 million EVs) I don’t think it’s a big part.
    Could have said that about EVs vs ICE vehicles some years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    True. But it smells a bit like Betamax vs VHS: Betamax was better but...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Our new milk float looking pretty in the sunshine this morning

Master
    This is true, but there just seems very little in the motoring or wider press/websites about forthcoming hydrogen models or infrastructure, so all the signs are that hydrogen passenger cars at scale just isn’t going to happen.

All the major manufacturers are planning and producing battery electric vehicles, including even Toyota, so I think the direction is set.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It’s more like cassette tapes vs CDs really, and Hydrogen is laserdisc… :-D

It’s more like cassette tapes vs CDs really, and Hydrogen is laserdisc… :-D
    In that case we need the iPod version
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    But in this case, hydrogen is not better.

It’s more like cassette tapes vs CDs really, and Hydrogen is 8 track… :-D
    FTFY

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    FTFY
    :-D

Hydrogen, for me anyway, and using electricity to make hydrogen to make electricity to power a car feels like smashing up the lifeboats on the Titanic to make life rafts.

:-D

Hydrogen, for me anyway, and using electricity to make hydrogen to make electricity to power a car feels like smashing up the lifeboats on the Titanic to make life rafts.
    Doesn’t have to be made using electricity.

Master
    Doesn’t have to be made using electricity.
    No, it doesn’t, but about 95% of the worlds hydrogen is made from fossil fuels, which sounds like the very thing we’re trying to wean ourselves off.

Electrolysis via renewable electricity sounds the best way from a resources and environment way, but still begs the question why don’t we just use the electricity to power passenger vehicles directly instead?

I actually don’t care much whether we all end up driving Electric or Hydrogen Electric passenger cars, just as long as we move away from what we’re doing now.

At the end of the day, I’m a realist, oil and for that matter Hydrogen are too valuable to burn ferrying people about in small personal vehicles, and we need something less impactful and sustainable.
    Last edited by Tooks; 27th May 2022 at 18:59.

No, it doesn’t, but about 95% of the worlds hydrogen is made from fossil fuels, which sounds like the very thing we’re trying to wean ourselves off.

Electrolysis via renewable electricity sounds the best way from a resources and environment way, but still begs the question why don’t we just use the electricity to power passenger vehicles directly instead?

I actually don’t care much whether we all end up driving Electric or Hydrogen Electric passenger cars, just as long as we move away from what we’re doing now.

At the end of the day, I’m a realist, oil and for that matter Hydrogen are too valuable to burn ferrying people about in small personal vehicles, and we need something less impactful and sustainable.
    Made from fossil fuels at present but, to repeat myself, doesn't have to be. For example could be made from biomass or using solar energy (not via electrolysis).

Whilst I’ve made my views on the future of hydrogen abundantly clear previously, you’re statement above is incorrect.

Hydrogen is the most abundant and reactive element in the universe and is never lost (splitting the atom aside), it just releases energy when it reacts with other elements or compounds (in this case oxygen to produce electricity and water).

The same hydrogen can be re-extracted to be used again an infinite number of times. It’s the energy used to extract the pure hydrogen that is given up in the FCEV. The hydrogen itself can be considered as a battery as it’s really just a way to store the energy required to power the car.

Master
    Made from fossil fuels at present but, to repeat myself, doesn't have to be. For example could be made from biomass or using solar energy (not via electrolysis).
    The challenges of producing sustainable hydrogen at scale are as huge, if not more so, than producing enough genuinely green electricity for a fleet of BEVs.

I’m sure hydrogen has a future in large road transport/ships etc, but it seems unnecessarily complex as a passenger car road fuel.

As I say, if we end up driving ‘green’ hydrogen cars instead of BEVs, then so be it. I’m not as ideologically opposed to it as some seem to be regards BEVs.

Back this evening from a 485 mile one way trip from Scotland to Lincs, two 30 minute charge stops and no hassles at all, the future is already happening here.

The challenges of producing sustainable hydrogen at scale are as huge, if not more so, than producing enough genuinely green electricity for a fleet of BEVs.

I’m sure hydrogen has a future in large road transport/ships etc, but it seems unnecessarily complex as a passenger car road fuel.

As I say, if we end up driving ‘green’ hydrogen cars instead of BEVs, then so be it. I’m not as ideologically opposed to it as some seem to be regards BEVs.

Back this evening from a 485 mile one way trip from Scotland to Lincs, two 30 minute charge stops and no hassles at all, the future is already happening here.
    Tomorrow, will be the past.

Master
    Whilst I’ve made my views on the future of hydrogen abundantly clear previously, you’re statement above is incorrect.

Hydrogen is the most abundant and reactive element in the universe and is never lost (splitting the atom aside), it just releases energy when it reacts with other elements or compounds (in this case oxygen to produce electricity and water).

The same hydrogen can be re-extracted to be used again an infinite number of times. It’s the energy used to extract the pure hydrogen that is given up in the FCEV. The hydrogen itself can be considered as a battery as it’s really just a way to store the energy required to power the car.
    The point I was trying to make, probably badly as usual, was that we need oil and hydrogen for all sorts of critical industrial processes, and the former is too valuable to burn, and the latter is costly and complicated to refine and seems unnecessary when we have a viable alternative already.

The point I was trying to make, probably badly as usual, was that we need oil and hydrogen for all sorts of critical industrial processes, and the former is too valuable to burn, and the latter is costly and complicated to refine and seems unnecessary when we have a viable alternative already.
    In that case we are in full agreement!

That we have a viable alternative doesn’t make developing something else which might be better unnecessary.

That we have a viable alternative doesn’t make developing something else which might be better unnecessary.
    Hydrogen is not now, and never will be, better.

Hydrogen is not now, and never will be, better.
    In your opinion, that's all.

Wasn't it you saying, few years ago, that under-road charging would be here in 10 years. That's all gone very quiet!

Master
    Nobody is saying that are they?

Hydrogen has a future in commercial vehicles I think, and perhaps local fuel cell power stations, but as a fuel for private passenger cars? No, I don’t think so.

Just my opinion, sure, the same as yours on hydrogen.